Renegade aka. ROC-RK3328-CC, USB3.0 not work properly

PP88PP

I have two renegade SBCs, both of them flash armbian_22.02, one bullseye,another focal with xfce.

Bullseye on hardware viersion v1.0, Focal on v1.3.

They both can't discovery USB3.0 devices through USB3.0  which plug before boot.

I installed openmediavault, setting up share folders on USB3.0 mobile disk, test it can work properly, then reboot. After reboot, Disk can't be discoveryed, light on disk bright but not flash. I keep waiting 30 minutes, no external disk be found. 

And, they can discovery devices on USB3.0 which plug after booted. But sometimes can't, only USB2.0 devices plug in USB3.0 port can be found.

Example, I plug an USB3.0 disk after booted, system auto mount it. But when I unplugged and plug twice ,nothing mounted or shown in fdisk. USB3 to ethernet(MS Model 1663) also, sometimes it can work on USB3.0, and sometimes it cannot work, I need to slow down to plug, to make it work on USB2.0 mode.

I've had this issue since Armbian 22.02.1 Focal. TP-Link TL-UH700 7-Port USB hub isn't detected. None of the devices attached to it show up.

Logs: https://pastebin.com/VHuNGgT3

What worked for me is downgrading the kernel to Linux 5.10.63-rockchip64. That seemed to work fine, but I just discovered that one of my drives has failed. 

Logs show that every 3-5 mins the USB 3.0 hub was being reset :(

1910373198_2022-04-12(4).thumb.png.2966ee5c0522e9d3e72908f42b32700e.png

dmesg on hw ver1.3, Firmware ver Offical Armbian 22.02.1 Bullseye.

Power Supply 5.5V/3A + microUSB cable, currect Voltage over microUSB port is 5.1V when load 3A.

TF card is Samsung EVO orange.

Disk cable is Anker USB3 to type-c cable, Just copied 100G files to this disk one hour ago.

18 hours ago, Shirish said:

I've had this issue since Armbian 22.02.1 Focal. TP-Link TL-UH700 7-Port USB hub isn't detected. None of the devices attached to it show up.

Logs: https://pastebin.com/VHuNGgT3

What worked for me is downgrading the kernel to Linux 5.10.63-rockchip64. That seemed to work fine, but I just discovered that one of my drives has failed. 

Logs show that every 3-5 mins the USB 3.0 hub was being reset :(

I've tested Armbian 21.08.1 Bullseye with Linux 5.10.60-rockchip64 on hw 1.0, yeah USB work looks like properly. Thank you bro. But when I poweroff / shutdown / init 0, it always reboot.

I have about only 6 seconds to cut down the power supply before it start boot🥲

18 hours ago, PP88PP said:

I've tested Armbian 21.08.1 Bullseye with Linux 5.10.60-rockchip64 on hw 1.0, yeah USB work looks like properly. Thank you bro. But when I poweroff / shutdown / init 0, it always reboot.

I have about only 6 seconds to cut down the power supply before it start boot🥲

So that confirms that the new default kernel with Armbian 22.02.1 doesn't play well with USB 3.0 devices on the Renegade. I've also tried the 5.16 edge kernel - same issue.

For me, it definitely powers off with "shutdown" and reboots with "reboot". I have a powered USB 3.0 hub that continues to be on (all device lights are on) after the board has powered off - I assume that's normal.

Try shutdown without any peripherals attached?

Just to clarify on my earlier comment about the USB 3.0 hub being reset: it was a power supply issue. dmesg is now clean, except for a 2TB USB 3.0 drive detected as `Driver=usb-storage` instead of `Driver=uas` like other 1TB disks. I've now set "usbstoragequirks" in `/boot/armbianEnv.txt`. Strangely, after I created the /boot/armbianEnv.txt file, other drives were automatically added to "usbstoragequirks"

2 minutes ago, Shirish said:

So that confirms that the new default kernel with Armbian 22.02.1 doesn't play well with USB 3.0 devices on the Renegade. I've also tried the 5.16 edge kernel - same issue.

For me, it definitely powers off with "shutdown" and reboots with "reboot". I have a powered USB 3.0 hub that continues to be on (all device lights are on) after the board has powered off - I assume that's normal.

Try shutdown without any peripherals attached?

Just to clarify on my earlier comment about the USB 3.0 hub being reset: it was a power supply issue. dmesg is now clean, except for a 2TB USB 3.0 drive detected as `Driver=usb-storage` instead of `Driver=uas` like other 1TB disks. I've now set "usbstoragequirks" in `/boot/armbianEnv.txt`. Strangely, after I created the /boot/armbianEnv.txt file, other drives were automatically added to "usbstoragequirks"

I've check it before, the reason leads reboot when poweroff is OMV. Or package installed by OMV install script.

I see that your patch landed in master on July 4th but there doesn't seem to be an image for the renegade in the release images on Github generated yesterday. I have some free time this weekend to give it a spin.

P.S. Excited to see Libre Computer announcing kernel 5.18.2 Ubuntu 22.04 support soon. Hopefully that means the armbian build gets even better than it already is 😍

https://twitter.com/librecomputer/status/1548923649650040832

Edited by Shirish