(Snap) Firefox does not start after first update

MarcusE1W

Hi.

I have a freshly installer Jammy (XFCe) version installed on a Pinebook Pro and after the install run one single update.

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

As part of that upgrade a message appeared to inform me that the existing firefox installion will be replaced by a snap version, apparently standard in Ubuntu now.

The installation did not show any errors but if I want to start firefox in the snap version now I get this error:

mmw@pinebook-pro:~$ firefox &
[1] 3726
mmw@pinebook-pro:~$ /user.slice/user-1000.slice/session-c2.scope is not a snap cgroup

As this is all still almost out of the box, is there a solution to get the snap work ?

Btw, I tried if chromium works, but I get the same message.

I added a new user, "adduser testuser", and was able to run both firefox and chromium from the new user, jim.  I logged jim out and logged back in as my user and Firefox appears to be starting and then generate a "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To use Firefox, you must first close the existing Firefox process, restart your device, or use a different profile.  ps does not show any other firefox processes and a restart did not solve the problem either.

I am tempted to delete my account and remake it.  I suspect that would work.

chromium runs but generates some output that suggests that all is not well.

michael@oxygen:~$ chromium
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
[5612:5775:0501/150818.147981:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[5612:5775:0501/150818.149367:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[5612:5775:0501/150818.150519:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
MESA-LOADER: failed to open kms_swrast: /snap/chromium/1975/gnome-platform/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /snap/chromium/1975/gnome-platform/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load driver: kms_swrast
MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /snap/chromium/1975/gnome-platform/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /snap/chromium/1975/gnome-platform/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load swrast driver
[5612:5721:0501/150822.933079:ERROR:udev_watcher.cc(98)] Failed to begin udev enumeration.

Edited by Michael Schuh
Added chromium details.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:44 AM, Rich Neese said:

please try adding : sudo apt install dbus-user-session  and then try running firefox or chromium installed from snap again

Thanks Rich.  It looks like the dbus-user-session package was already installed.

michael@oxygen:~$  sudo apt install dbus-user-session
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
dbus-user-session is already the newest version (1.12.20-2ubuntu4).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

By chance do you have any other suggestions?

Sorry for being slow to respond.  I will try and check this thread more often for updates.

Thanks,

Michael