Radxa Zero: What images I've tried so far and what has and hasn't worked

minnixtx

So far I've tried several images, just wanted to update what has and hasn't worked. I know the rz isn't officially supported but I thought I'd give my feedback and maybe it will help someone. All images were written to emmc after first using the radxa-zero-erase-emmc.bin tool to erase and mount emmc as USB storage.

Armbian_22.05.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_bullseye_current_5.10.113_minimal - doesn't boot

radxa-zero-ubuntu-focal-server-arm64-20220501-0334-mbr - boots but just goes straight into login screen, no option to change password. root and 1234 do not work. Also no armbian_first_run.txt.template included in the image

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_jammy_edge_5.15.32_xfce_desktop - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.10.109_cinnamon_desktop - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_bullseye_current_5.10.109 - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.10.109_xfce_desktop - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_jammy_edge_5.15.32 - doesn't boot

I have a couple of zeros so I went back and forth between the two testing the images. Used DD and Gnome Disks, neither had any luck. Currently running DietPi which seems to be doing well. CoreElec runs good too.

@Yakovis listed as a maintainer and could know what is the status. I don't have the board nor time to deal with this hw in particular. Currently we are trying to find out status for upcoming 22.05 release. If that would not be possible, we will be forced to remove the support status and cut down investments, "competition" included.

Usually if one doesn't boot, others will also not boot since its something wrong with a boot process. 

If  hope those boots as expected:
https://imola.armbian.com/dl/radxa-zero/rc/

2 hours ago, minnixtx said:

Currently running DietPi which seems to be doing well.

Since they are abusing our resources they must have more time to test. Going that route seems to be the right way and we all will have much worse software support, but otherwise doing well. 

By getting a subscription you can help mitigating costs. Regardless which OS you will use, original or copy.

I seem to have made a mistake in my original post. radxa-zero-ubuntu-focal-server-arm64-20220501-0334-mbr is actually a radxa built image and so needs the user and pass to both be rock. It turns out it works fine. I am not sure about the politics between Armbian and DietPi but I hope there is not too much ill will between the two as they have been good projects for me.

Also because of the nature of my job, I do not always have extra cash on hand on a regular basis so I cannot be a regular subscriber, but I did make a one time donation today to Armbian via paypal of 100 euros since I happen to have some money at the moment. Hope this helps. I can continue to test new images as they come out and hopefully offer more feedback. Thanks.

22.05.2022 в 08:18, minnixtx сказал:

So far I've tried several images, just wanted to update what has and hasn't worked. I know the rz isn't officially supported but I thought I'd give my feedback and maybe it will help someone. All images were written to emmc after first using the radxa-zero-erase-emmc.bin tool to erase and mount emmc as USB storage.

Armbian_22.05.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_bullseye_current_5.10.113_minimal - doesn't boot

radxa-zero-ubuntu-focal-server-arm64-20220501-0334-mbr - boots but just goes straight into login screen, no option to change password. root and 1234 do not work. Also no armbian_first_run.txt.template included in the image

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_jammy_edge_5.15.32_xfce_desktop - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.10.109_cinnamon_desktop - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_bullseye_current_5.10.109 - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.10.109_xfce_desktop - doesn't boot

Armbian_22.02.3_Radxa-zero_jammy_edge_5.15.32 - doesn't boot

I have a couple of zeros so I went back and forth between the two testing the images. Used DD and Gnome Disks, neither had any luck. Currently running DietPi which seems to be doing well. CoreElec runs good too.

Armbian_22.05.1_Radxa-zero_jammy_edge_5.17.5_xfce_desktop.img boot from microSD (use Raspberry Pi Imager, balenaEtcher or similar) on radxa zero with emmc (2GB or 4GB RAM models).

Hello,

I have a zero working on Armbian_22.05.1_Radxa-zero_jammy_edge_5.17.5

I have noticed 2 defaults : some wifi stability issues and no usb otg (I would like to enable g_serial to have serial over usb).

As there are already fixed in Radxa kernel (https://github.com/radxa/kernel/commits/linux-5.10.y-radxa-zero) it's quite easy to fix as it's only dtc parameters.

For Wifi, change  max-frequency = <0x5f5e100>; to  max-frequency = <0x4C4B400>;

For otg mode in the usb@ffe09000 section, change dr_mode to dr_mode = "otg";

Enjoy.

Just tried latest Armbian 23.5 Jammy on 512MB version of Radxa Zero what about if it will start working (it has not worked on 512MB board yet) and unfortunately results are still same it will never pass u-boot booting process ending up restarting.
Other system images produced by Radxa work fine, both debian or ubuntu versions, even they are using older systems.

Boards with 1GB and 2GB RAM which I have run fine with Armbian.