Need help on g_ether for Orange Pi Lite

Jim Tibbets

I need/want USB ethernet via OTG. I've wasted over 16 hours trying to get the g_ether module to work. A prominent poster told me that all recent Armbian images have this ability, just follow the directions...

It's not. I'm using the stock Armbian image from this website, and I've updated it via "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade". Still no luck. The OTG connection currently shows up as a USB serial gadget, but I want a USB Ethernet gadget.

I've wasted over 16 hours trying to get the g_ether module to work.

Better provide more details and ask more early when asking the next time. :)

OPi Lite is the only H3 device where this does not work out of the box (any more... since OPi Lite has no Ethernet Zador configured the Lite in a way that you just connect the Micro USB port to your host to get a serial connection to do initial setup).

OPi Lite is the only H3 device where this does not work out of the box (any more... since OPi Lite has no Ethernet Zador configured the Lite in a way that you just connect the Micro USB port to your host to get a serial connection to do initial setup).

It would probably make more sense to configure the Lite with g_ether enabled and usb0 with static IP.

It would probably make more sense to configure the Lite with g_ether enabled and usb0 with static IP.

Given that the majority of our users seem to use Windows that might not be a good idea if I understood Zador right since dealing with g_ether (RNDIS) from within Windows is PITA.

IMO this is something for device specific documentation. We already started to move stuff from the download page into lib.docs repo and it would be great if we start to collect there for every device we support an individual knowledge base.

Personally I find g_serial easier to configure than g_ether (on the other end). But I think we should add separate page to documentation for Orange Pi Lite, which would describe (briefly) how to use g_serial and how to disable it.

I'm personally using both at the same time... Laptop is a Ubuntu bird and Tower is running Windows. If users are on Windows 10, then they might be able to install the Ubuntu for Windows Subsystem. That makes it possible to run BASH from CMD.exe, so no need for Putty.