NanoPi R5S Armbian Image

Peter Scargill

@Dysmas this possible, add udev rule with name for example

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="rk_gmac-dwmac", KERNEL=="eth2", NAME="wan0"

drivers list are

eth0 : r8169
eth1 : r8169
eth2 : rk_gmac-dwmac

Edited by 9bx154

Yes, it works thanks. But it works perfectly if I use different names, but using the same names (eth0, etc.) creates confusion. Presently it works like a dirty workaround, but I understand from what you write that the difference of behaviour between Ubuntu and Debian is that rk_gmac-dwmac is treated after r8169 and not before. I guess systemd should be able to change this.

Happy to help. In this assembly, there is a very interesting situation with the order and names of network interfaces, please note that in this assembly, the kernel parameter net.ifnames=0 is applied during boot, original names eth0 is enp1s0, eth1 is enP1p1s0.

Interesting. I tried to remove net.ifnames=0 and indeed, the names are what you indicate. But I was surprised to see that

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="r8169", KERNEL=="enp1s0", NAME="eth1"

did not work. I still had to write :

KERNEL=="eth0"

enp1s0 is already a rename.

Kernel names are given in the order the kernel discovers the hardware and I think there is nothing to do about it. I must use the rename procedure. Thanks to have given me the tools for it.

Edited by Dysmas

I spent a day on this. Made some progress and some regression ;) I had a working nand-sata-install, could transfer to internal eMMC and boot from it but with latest images its not working anymore ... after going closer to @Cornelius patch.

u-boot button detection to switch booting from SD card is very unstable. It often hangs, so its some work to be done here ... Test image and a build PR: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4247 

About the renaming of network interfaces, I ended with this solution which could be good for a default : renaming the interfaces with the name printed on the box.

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="rk_gmac-dwmac", NAME="WAN"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="r8169", KERNEL=="eth0", NAME="LAN1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="r8169", KERNEL=="eth1", NAME="LAN2"

After that I use /etc/network/interfaces to rename the interfaces to eth0 and eth1 as I need.

rename WAN=eth0
rename LAN1=eth1

Hi all. Maybe I'll tell you the obvious. But I managed to load the image in emmc.

I installed the official freindlywrt image on the board, connected to it via ssh, mounted a flash drive with the rk3568-nanopi-r5s-ubuntu-jammy-5.19.11-arm64-2022-09-27.img.xz file unzipped in advance and ran the following command

dd if=rk3568-nanopi-r5s-ubuntu-jammy-5.19.11-arm64-2022-09-27.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 status=progress

After the reboot, my system booted up, everything seems to be working.

A 'common' way with the current setup would be to load the overlay using extlinux.

example: /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

fdtoverlays ../rockchip/overlays/rockchip-rk3399-opp-2ghz.dtbo

I don't know if its currently supported and if it is and you created the overlay, that's how you would load it at boot.

What about support wireguard server on this kernel?

I try but I only get errors like this

modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found in directory /lib/modules/5.19.11
iptables v1.8.7 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

My efforts into this are done. I was asked to make it boot and get it functioning, not to produce images for the masses. I think as that goes, I did as much. Sorry the kernel doesn't have everything "that everyone ever wanted" ticked on, but that wasn't a concern of mine at the time. With that said, I added support for it in the defconfig, if you or someone else wants to compile their own kernel for those images, you are more than welcome too.

Honestly, I would suggest people check the commit: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4247 and help provide proper Armbian support. 

Thanx

Hello @9bx154, I had to use the Ubuntu 20 version given by the vendor, and upgraded to 22. The leds are off. I am trying to use the udev solution you provided above, but nothing works.

SUBSYSTEM=="leds", KERNEL=="green:lan1", ACTION=="add", ATTR{trigger}="netdev", ATTR{device_name}="eth0", ATTR{link}="1" ATTR{rx}="1" ATTR{tx}="1"

In this distribution, the leds are in /sys/class/leds/lan1_led  (or lan2_led, wan_led, sys_led). In these directories there is a "uevent" file which content is :

OF_NAME=led-1 

OF_FULLNAME=/gpio-leds/led-1

OF_COMPATIBLE_N=0

What do you suggest to have it work ?

Edited by Dysmas

Has anyone had any chance lately with getting this machine to run?
I've tried different friendlyElec images, and of course unofficial Armbian images, but the machine does not seem to start whatever the distro may be (cycles with crazy HDMI resolution modes).
The installation that is described on friendlyElect wiki does its thing with the LEDs, so I guess the installation goes fine, but afterwards, the board does not really start.
It is visible on my router though but I can't connect via ssh nor see anything on the display (I know I should use UART2USB). 🤔

@gounthar It's working OK for me, both the FriendlyElec images and ones generated with pyavitz's debian image builder.

Which FriendlyElec image are you using? And which ethernet port? (Reason I ask is I think with FriendlyWRT SSH is firewalled off on the WAN interface)

If it's visible on your router it's presumably made a DHCP request so must be up and running.

Hello,

Thanks for the links, but I was looking for an image of any possibility to install ZFS.

I tried to compile ZFS but the image is with kernel: 5.10.110
And in repositories there is only linux-headers-5.10.0-21-arm64

I will try to make a micro storage server with 2 SSD drives connected directly to the NanoPI. I don't use USB to Sata.

There are two reasons why I like the NanoPi series
I have NanoPi R4SE, R5S, R6S
1. More than 1 physical network port, I know there is a USB to LAN, but I've had problems with such a card, on a RaspberyPi 4

2. The fact that they have a factory passive cooler.

I use them as micro servers and I really hope Armbian make images for them. (R5S and R6S)

So far I have tested several options
 - OpenWRT - I ran into a missing modules issue there, it was from a snapshot.
 - DietPi - this is actually from friendlyelec, the only thing more is that it supports discard/trim on the memory card. Extremely cluttered with supporting scripts that I don't know if they can be removed.
 - To one of the developers, but there, no matter how much I delete the built-in flash, it refuses to load from the memory card.
 - And accordingly friendlyelec - The problem is that you cannot redo the initrd. Or at least I didn't understand how. As well as the lack of linux-headers for the kernel it comes with.

And I want to thank the Team who made armbian for NanoPi R4S(E), you did an amazing job.
I think it's the only image I've tested where I was able to run everything I needed while testing.

I was especially very pleasantly surprised to see that the brd module is not compiled inside the kernel, but as a module.

Which allowed me to do raid1 tests between ram drive and iscsi.

I also have the following question, what exactly needs to be done to get a kernel image to which a module can be compiled.

I'm willing to waste time and energy to help, I just don't have experience with these kind of processors. If it needs to be compiled I have somewhere to use a compilation resource.

Regards,

Hello,

After a long internet search I finally found a clean image for the NanoPi R5S.

Debian 12 (testing), kernel 6.1.0-6-arm64, kernel is from repo.
I have successfully installed and configured zfs and mdadm
I have successfully moved / (OS) onto the software raid.
Memory card left only for /boot/

Here's a link if anyone needs a working debian linux
https://github.com/inindev/nanopi-r5

Regards,

7 hours ago, Nick1664 said:

What is the status of this build ?

Unknown. Plus I managed to fry the board. It was sent to repair, got repaired, it is coming back ... but sadly anyway don't have time to do anything. 

but it does not boot.

When they boots, images would be at the download pages with at least WIP / community support status.

I have the board for testing or the next few weeks, if I can help.

This might be helpful.
https://github.com/Kwiboo/arm-trusted-firmware

nanopi-r5s has been added in a community support configuration.  It is available via the EXPERT mode of the builder.  It requires EDGE kernel, but mainline support is good

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/config/boards/nanopi-r5s.csc

I'm using as a router on debian sid via the clammy-ng router framework

54 minutes ago, lanefu said:

nanopi-r5s has been added in a community support configuration.  It is available via the EXPERT mode of the builder.  It requires EDGE kernel, but mainline support is good

here's an unsupported, unofficial build.  Mainline kernel, Mainline Uboot.

https://refuge.armsurvivors.icu/lanefu/lanefu_23.08.0-trunk_Nanopi-r5s_bookworm_edge_6.5.3/