Magicsee N5 Plus : Block map file is too short

xNiux

Hi, I'm trying to install armbian on my old Magicsee N5 Plus. But I have an Error Failed to map file (See picture here : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhhHb6kGus27i8sO_dCKJlSu9VWZrA?e=Or9XyL).

I was on SlimboxTV (ATV 14) system. I also reflash with N5 Plus official firmware and try also with N5 Max official firwmare (very closed hardware). But I always this message ... Any Idea ?

Ok ... So ...

1- I install and run the stock firmware (Amlogic Burn Tool)
2- I prepared an SD card with "Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.9.0.img.xz". extlinux.conf is set for a meson-g12a-x96-max (similar cpu and "visual" hardware). u-boot.ext is copy of the u-boot-s905x2-s922 one.
3- I start the stock system, update with the zip on the sd card. And after reboot, I have the error message ....

Maybe there is big differences between N5 Plus and X96MAX ...

Just to test, I tried to burn the box with the X96MAX+ firmware ... But System doesn't start, stay on the boot screen ... And now ... The recovery seems to be unaccessible .... I have a beautifull Brick !!! Grrrr
I tried the Amlogic Burn Card Maker ... But nothing ... Oups ....

Wow ... My box live again !!! I use the short-circuit directly on the board (I follow the instruction on youtube). But the status quo stay the same with Armbian ^^

For the block.map problem, I connect on box with ADB, and have this result :

image.png.8e8f2179a73c8afd2d18170702a2350d.png

Can I change it to increase block size ? But How ?

And the last lines of log :

image.png.ced8792406b312d7b5d5b2786070f1b6.png

Edited by xNiux

On 6/5/2022 at 2:51 PM, xNiux said:

3- I start the stock system, update with the zip on the sd card. And after reboot, I have the error message ....

What do you mean by this step?

I don't think that is the update app that supports the multiboot method, given the error messages you are getting.  I think that is an android update tool.  You will need to use the "toothpick" method to enable multiboot.  Most boxes hide the reset button at the back of the hole for the av plug, but others have a specific hole labeled for the reset button.  (A few boxes don't have any reset button however)

Ok, but the toothpick method open the recovery mode :

image.png.a07269571485de21059d6867674b2d06.png

I tried to load the aml_autoscript.zip by the menu "Apply update from EXT", but without success.

I also tried "Reboot to bootloader", but box stuck on the S905X3 logo ....

Maybe there is not possible to multiboot on this box ....

Edited by xNiux

Does the box correctly boot to android currently?

If so, when using the toothpick method, how long are you holding the reset button?  You might try different lengths of time, from a few seconds up to 10 seconds.  I find it takes about 5 seconds for the boxes I have.  Don't hold it too long though or you end up in android recovery.

21 hours ago, SteeMan said:

Does the box correctly boot to android currently?

If so, when using the toothpick method, how long are you holding the reset button?  You might try different lengths of time, from a few seconds up to 10 seconds.  I find it takes about 5 seconds for the boxes I have.  Don't hold it too long though or you end up in android recovery.

Yes, box start Android correctly. I will try different time.

Ok, so I made some test, with the toothpick :

- 1s or 2s : Start the Android system

- 5s/10s or more (without armbian boot sdcard inserted) : Start recovey system

- 5s/10s or more (with armbian boot sdcard inserted) : The LED of box is blinking Red 1s, Blue 3s (No screen, I think it reset 1s every 3s).
After that, impossible to start the box ... with or without toothpick ... The only way to start android is .... to remove sdcard  !!! And it is very strange, now the box can't boot with sdcard inside .... I wipe the cache to recover normal function (Standard boot, even if sdcard is inserted)

2 hours ago, xNiux said:

5s/10s or more (with armbian boot sdcard inserted) : The LED of box is blinking Red 1s, Blue 3s (No screen, I think it reset 1s every 3s).

This looks like you have successfully enabled multiboot.  It is trying to now boot from the SD card.  Apparently unsuccessfully.  By enabling multiboot it will try to boot from the sd card if one is present.

Now that you can get it to try to boot from the SD card, you need to look at your setup on the sd card to get a successfull boot.  From what you have stated above, it seems that you are doing the setup steps correctly according to the instructions in the FAQ (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/17106-installation-instructions-for-tv-boxes-with-amlogic-cpus).  Now you just need to find a compatible dtb file for your box (if one exists).  The general recommended approach is to try all the dtbs one by one for the same cpu as your box has (if you don't already know of one being compatible). 

You mentioned that you tried meson-g12a-x96-max.  Was this based on a successful report by some other user of your box?

Ok, thanks for your feedback. I will try different dtb so.

I used meson-g12a-x96-max only because the hardware is similar to mine... Not on successfull report from other user.

I just looked up the specs on the N5 Plus.  On the page I was on it said it had an s905x3 cpu.  If that is true, you should be using meson-sm1-* dtb files.  sm1 is the code name for the *x3 cpus.  g12a is the code name for *x2 cpus.

1 hour ago, SteeMan said:

I just looked up the specs on the N5 Plus.  On the page I was on it said it had an s905x3 cpu.  If that is true, you should be using meson-sm1-* dtb files.  sm1 is the code name for the *x3 cpus.  g12a is the code name for *x2 cpus.

You're right, I just saw it this morning ... So I tried the only sm1 one : meson-sm1-sei610.dtb ... But with the same result ... On other post, I find other .dtb to try this evening Tanix TX5 Plus Deluxe(with external antenna) - need to combine 2 dtbs - General Chat - Armbian Community Forums

Edited by xNiux

I'm trying 4 dtb based on sm1, but without success ... I will try to understand the dtb (dts) construction and to try to create mine ....

Is there any log somewhere to now what is bad on sdcard boot ?

Edited by xNiux

The only other suggestion I have at this point is to open the box, identify the serial pins, solder a connector to them and monitor the console output of the boot process.  That will at least give you information as to where it is failing.  But identifing the serial connection on boards like this can be difficult as they are rarely marked on the board.

There is clearly a bad things on the sdcard ... I think the real problem is here :

## Error: "bootfromsd" not defined

reading boot_android

** Unable to read file boot_android **

** Bad device usb 0 **

I'm trying the Manjaro distribution .... It start !!! (meson-sm1-x96-air.dtb)

So,  the .img it a little different .... 

- First, I tried to use the Manjaro meson-sm1-x96-air.dtb on Armbian : Failed, with same issue reboot in loop

- 2nD, I tried to replace le linux main partition from Manjaro img with the Armbian one (Keep the Manjaro boot partition) : Failed, I have the Manjaro boot logo but ... that's all .....

I must say you are persistent in trying.  I hope you view this as a learning opportunity and not a source of frustration.

Since you have now acquired the skills necessary to properly debug, I think it is time to start over from the beginning and take this step by step slowly.

So I am going to ask that you reflash the original android firmware to get back to a known state for the box.

Then with an sd card prepared with the armbian build from the instructions on this site enable multiboot.

Then reboot to attempt to run armbian.

At that point don't do anything more, but reply back with the console output you are getting from the serial connection, report what you see on the screen for output, and also attach the extlinux.conf file you used and which uboot file.

I want to see the state of your box at this point before recommending what to do next.

Thanks for your answer ^^

It's a learning opportunity for me, I like this kind of challenge :)

... And I'm not user of Arch Linux ... I'm definitevely a Debian user !

I will try your recommendation. 

Ok, I  tried some test.

- Good news : I start Armbian on USB Drive !!!

- Bad news : On SD card, Armbian doesn't start !!!

Please see the 2 logs, have you and Idea ?

==> Before each test, I reflash the stock firmware before flash Armbian

==> But in fact, my test revealed there is no really importance

==> The USB drive could be start Armbian on USB2 port, but also on the USB3 port ...

ArmbianBootUSB.log ArmbianBootSD.log

Edited by xNiux

And after some test on USB flash :

- WIFI : OK 

- ETH : OK 

- IR : OK 

- BT : OK 

- CPU : High temperature (65°C), box heating a lot .... USB powering ?

Edited by xNiux