Armbian for Amlogic S912

chocho

@balbes150, please check the fdisk -l output for Beelink GT1 / 16GB eMMC / 2GB RAM / AP 6255 (GT-T_V20.20160810)

root@amlogic-s905x:~# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.5 GiB, 15518924800 bytes, 30310400 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: 4 MiB, 4194304 bytes, 8192 sectors

Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot1: 4 MiB, 4194304 bytes, 8192 sectors

Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot0: 4 MiB, 4194304 bytes, 8192 sectors

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 14.9 GiB, 15931539456 bytes, 31116288 sectors
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000d9380

Device         Boot  Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk1p1        2048   133119   131072   64M  e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk1p2      133120 30805119 30672000 14.6G 83 Linux

@mdel, don't know about the wifi hardware spec. GT1 has a seal antenna type, but it is working incredible well... I had bad, really bad experiences with this kind of antenna before, but it is working on mid-range (25m with walls) from AP.

i've ordered a Meecool bb2 (s912 2G 16G), so at some point i'll also do some tests with balbes150 images.

I really have no use for an s912 but i can play wit it a bit and see how it performs against s905 for my own use case.

@lvmc

yeah, i know those internal antennas are really weak but i was more interested in seeing AC performances, because my tests with xiaomi mini router in AC mode were quite impressive, although my wifi knowledge is quite thin as i tend to use it as little as possible.

I believe i saw an external antenna hack for the GT1 somewhere but it's really the same for any box, drill/screw an antenna mount on the case and solder it to the antenna pads on the board.

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm using LE on Mini MX, Mini M8S and Raspi3, I'm familiar with using USB Burning tool but not deeper knowledge of Android or Linux 

I would like to install armbian to an H96 Pro 3GB/16GB. 

I've downloaded Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_20161125.img and write it to an sd card with win32diskimager.

I've renamed gxm_q200_2g.dtb to dtb.img and copied to the sd card's root folder.

With toothpick method I tried to boot from the card but it restart the boot logo over and over.

Could you give me a hint how can I go further?

How can I get the dtb from my box? 

@pel.hu, to extract dtb from your device, please check this post I did some days ago:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2138-armbian-for-amlogic-s912/?p=20906

Thanks. I saw that, but stucked at the first step (using adb)

I've installed adb and google android driver for my windows laptop, I turned on developer option and usb debugging on the box.

I booted to recovery (with holding reset) on the box and it says it is listening to adb sideload...

I tried all the four usb port with 'adb devices' but nothing found.

Anything else I have to do to be able to connect to the box?

Edit:

I also tried to connect the box to my laptop with similar method but using USB Burning Tool and it has a success.

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm using LE on Mini MX, Mini M8S and Raspi3, I'm familiar with using USB Burning tool but not deeper knowledge of Android or Linux 

I would like to install armbian to an H96 Pro 3GB/16GB. 

I've downloaded Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_20161125.img and write it to an sd card with win32diskimager.

I've renamed gxm_q200_2g.dtb to dtb.img and copied to the sd card's root folder.

With toothpick method I tried to boot from the card but it restart the boot logo over and over.

Could you give me a hint how can I go further?

How can I get the dtb from my box? 

After a single activation multi-boot, press and hold the reset button (with a toothpick) do NOT need. After the first reboot button to let go. Just try to include the TV box, WITHOUT using toothpicks.

I did similar process as LE installation: First time boot with reset until something happens, and then just wait without reset.

But after I released the reset button the box started boot over and over again.

Now I've tried with Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_20161210.img and it behaves differently, it freezes on the boot logo ("H96 Pro")

Anyway I think the multiboot stuff was did something, because now the box cannot boot if I put the SD card, but boots normally to android without it.

I thought to connect to UART but the box is glued together I don't want to destroy the top of it... :(

I tried from a different pc with debian on it and installed android-tools-adb, but no luck. 

Even lsusb cannot see any of the usb ports of the box.

Edit: 

I can see my android phone on both machine with adb.

Edit2:

I've found the fw of the box here: http://chinagadgetsreviews.com/firmware-r-box-pro.html

Is it worth trying to extract the dtb from that?

I thought to connect to UART but the box is glued together I don't want to destroy the top of it... :(

I tried from a different pc with debian on it and installed android-tools-adb, but no luck. 

Even lsusb cannot see any of the usb ports of the box.

Edit: 

I can see my android phone on both machine with adb.

Edit2:

I've found the fw of the box here: http://chinagadgetsreviews.com/firmware-r-box-pro.html

Is it worth trying to extract the dtb from that?

Yes, try to extract the firmware and get it from the dtb file. May need to rebuild this file with the kernel source.

I noticed that the box is rooted. Is it help?

With a terminal app I can see /dev/dtb 

crw-------  root  root  243,    0 2015-01-01 dtb
root@q6330:/ # cat /dev/dtb > /storage/dtb.file
root@q6330:/ # ls -l storage/dtb.file
-rw-------  root  root  262144  2016-12-12 08:58 dtb.file
root@q6330:/ # head /storage/dtb.file
???!8?,(
amlogic, Gxmlogic
                    gxm_q200_2g0?t82x@d00c00008arm,malit602arm,malit60xarm,malit6xxarm,mali-midgardKPZ?

You can see the file here: http://pel.hu/down/dtb.file

So how can I make a dtb.img from this?

I tried to copy this file to the sd card's root folder and rename it to dtb.img 

After the boot logo ("H96 Pro") just black screen and no signal on HDMI.

Try this file. But I think it will not help. I think You pulled the wrong file, it will be necessary to unpack the firmware and see all dtb files in it.

https://yadi.sk/d/9cWeYdu333NagX

The process of testing and debugging installing to the internal memory. It is associated with a higher risk for potential users. I'm all need to repeatedly check. If make a mistake on an external drive - no problem, pulled out the media and TV box is working again. If make a mistake while recording on internal memory - get the brick. So I check a lot of different options, looking for one where the risk is minimal and there is a good result for the Linux.

Thank you, I tried but nothing changed (boot logo, then no signal on HDMI). Is this file just a trimmed version of mine?

The file came from /dev/dtb

I've found another ones:

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/dev

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/power

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/subsystem

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/uevent

/sys/class/dtb

/sys/class/dtb/dtb

/sys/class/dtb/emmcdtb

Which one do you think is worth to check? 

Edit:

Checked all but they contain only version info: 243:0

Thank you, I tried but nothing changed (boot logo, then no signal on HDMI). Is this file just a trimmed version of mine?

The file came from /dev/dtb

I've found another ones:

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/dev

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/power

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/subsystem

/sys/devices/virtual/dtb/dtb/uevent

/sys/class/dtb

/sys/class/dtb/dtb

/sys/class/dtb/emmcdtb

Which one do you think is worth to check? 

Edit:

Checked all but they contain only version info: 243:0

How long are You waiting after trying to start the system from external media ? Depending on the carrier , you need to wait about 5-7 minutes. The message about no signal during startup - normally (I have not yet made support for savers the first stage of the system startup).

@balbes150, yes. But if the device is bricked because of a previous failure on writing OS to eMMC why we can't just reboot and try to write again?

Because if it's not right to change the bootloader (to run Linux), you NOT are able to boot neither from external media or from internal storage. Because of the peculiarities of the primary boot loader of the processor (not to be confused with the code of u-boot in the internal memory), the processor will first try to run the code u-boot from internal memory. And the code u-boot is ruined, the console hangs (becomes a brick). Will close the contacts on the chip eMMC, something to force the download first u-boot from SD card or via USB cable (the flasher with a PC). This is the main wealth Amlogic - start is only possible either when fully functional u-boot in eMMC, or in its full otsutsvie. And if it is, but tainted - the launch of TV box is not possible. EMMC how to develop cards that cannot be detachable from a TV box. So you need to be careful when working with u-boot.

How long are You waiting after trying to start the system from external media ? Depending on the carrier , you need to wait about 5-7 minutes. The message about no signal during startup - normally (I have not yet made support for savers the first stage of the system startup).

I didn't wait that much so I tried again, waited 15 minutes, but nothing happened.

I've checked if I can ssh to the box, but no answer.

I've tried with and without the dtb file.

Edit:

I tried the newest armbian image on a Mini M8S II (S905x, 2GB/16GB) but it's not  started even on that box but at least I got a bunch of error message.

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x/page-12#entry21395

If the system after the screen saver freezes and will not start, so multiupload was activated and working. Perhaps the reason is not a good start in the following cases : 1. or not appropriate dtb file 2. any problems with the media . TV box is VERY whimsical to quality and SD card settings. I have 15 different cards on different TV consoles from 5 to 12 cards do not allow you to start the system (there is a console where can I work only 3 out of 15 , and is where can work 12 of the 15 cards). ALL cards work perfectly and give no failure on PC and laptops. I think that's the problem with cheap scanners or a bad driver for a card reader for u-boot at higher speeds (maybe old drivers, computed on a slow card). Therefore, strongly suggest that in case of any problems with system start-up be SURE to check out the startup from a USB drive. Or use to check a USB card reader.

Thank you, next time I'll try with USB pendrive.

(I use sandisk microsd cards which worked until now in several different box without any problem.)

Unfortunately the next couple of days I have to work countryside so I'll continue to test when I come back.

Maybe I'll sacrifice the box top cover and solder the serial uart if it is easier to find the problem.

Or maybe easier to sell it and buy a GT1... 

Hello I wrote ubuntu xenial desktop img on sdcard and booted it on beelink gt1. But no sound on hdmi how can I fix this? ( I can connect internet via my old s3 mini :) )

Edit: I don't know how to compile kernel or another need to use terminal. I can only repeat what you say here as I understand. I am sorry if my question is too silly.

HI,

I would like to report that  the images Ubuntu 16.04.1  amlogic-S905x (server and desktop 18.12.2016 from balbes150)) are working on  Bqeel T12 (S912 2G/16GB). The system is booted , networking is working , wifi is activated. Xwindows is started, Firefox is OK There is no Kodi yet.

However, docker is not working due to the fact that aufs is not compiled (modprobe aufs failed) in the kernel. The source from In the /lib/modules/3.14.29 does not include fs/aufs. Given the fact that dokcer is working well with  Odroid C2 based  Ubuntu  image ( for example MiniMx S905 with the same kernel 3.14.29) , i tried to compile the support for aufs based on the source of this one. Unhappily there were too many errors (missing modules,..)

I would be grateful if the support of aufs could be integrated in the Armbian S905x/S912 version.

Thanks in advance.