Armbian for Amlogic S912

chocho

Hello any tip for me here with a H96 Pro Dongle (2GB + 8GB ROM) I can't find option to boot from sd card from update menu just check online for updates don't have option from local or sd card I have opened and see they have a label: "CZ - S47 - V3" so this means version 3 ? I only found info from V1 and V2 

On 5/28/2018 at 6:06 PM, colgeocol said:

Will you create a version of your latest Armbian server that has the framebuffer directories installed?

I do not create any catalogs manually. This is done by the kernel or software (with appropriate support).

9 hours ago, Alecsandro said:

Hello any tip for me here with a H96 Pro Dongle (2GB + 8GB ROM) I can't find option to boot from sd card from update menu just check online for updates don't have option from local or sd card I have opened and see they have a label: "CZ - S47 - V3" so this means version 3 ? I only found info from V1 and V2  

What version of Android ?

2.) At Android/Settings/About Device/System/updates. Note: You may have the Update and Backup app in the App Drawer.
-From the Update and Backup App, under the UpdateLocale section, click Select, select aml_autoscript.zip, click update.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/tronsmart-ac/firmware-roms-tools-at/565449-running-linux-from-sd-card-or-usb-flash-drive-using-balbes150-method-and-files

http://forum.khadas.com/t/instructions-installation-multios-3in1-android-libreelec-linux-from-balbes150/2107

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

2.) At Android/Settings/About Device/System/updates. Note: You may have the Update and Backup app in the App Drawer.
-From the Update and Backup App, under the UpdateLocale section, click Select, select aml_autoscript.zip, click update.

My bad I don't checked at app's installed tried the lastest image (5.44) don't boot but with 5.37 booted and I am start the test here when download the  5.41 image :)

Thank you

@balbes150

I don't understand why you can't create a version of an Armbian server for the S912 that has the (frame buffer/frame-buffer/framebuffer) installed/enabled.

On 5/30/2018 at 12:03 AM, balbes150 said:

I do not create any catalogs manually. This is done by the kernel or software (with appropriate support).

What does "catalogs manually" mean?

15 hours ago, colgeocol said:

I don't understand why you can't create a version of an Armbian server for the S912 that has the (frame buffer/frame-buffer/framebuffer) installed/enabled.

I don't know what you're writing. All images have /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb1.

I've learned lots about the framebuffer.  What is messing things up is that I have no access to /dev/fb0 etc.  The only thing I find in /dev is fbcon.

It doesn't matter if I am root or a general user.  They do not show up with ls or any other command that can directly work with /dev/fb0.  The responses are always directories don't exist or can't find display.

I can tell whether my HDMI is connected or not.  I can get the EDID data of the monitor driver directly.

I only modified two files: armbian_first_run.txt and hdmi.sh.  I copied the kvim2_linux.dtb into the boot directory and renamed it dtb.img.

I need direct access to the framebuffer so I can finish the monitor setup.

Could it be other configuration files that I need to modify?  If so, which ones?  I appreciate your help.

Edited by colgeocol

15 hours ago, colgeocol said:

I've learned lots about the framebuffer.  What is messing things up is that I have no access to /dev/fb0 etc.  The only thing I find in /dev is fbcon.

It doesn't matter if I am root or a general user.  They do not show up with ls or any other command that can directly work with /dev/fb0.  The responses are always directories don't exist or can't find display.

I can tell whether my HDMI is connected or not.  I can get the EDID data of the monitor driver directly.

I only modified two files: armbian_first_run.txt and hdmi.sh.  I copied the kvim2_linux.dtb into the boot directory and renamed it dtb.img.

I need direct access to the framebuffer so I can finish the monitor setup.

Could it be other configuration files that I need to modify?  If so, which ones?  I appreciate your help.

1. What is your exact model of TV box ?

2. Which version of the image are you using ?

3. What exactly did you change in the files ?

19 hours ago, colgeocol said:

2.  Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_4.16.1_server_20180515.img

Use a version with kernel 3.14. Kernel " 4.xx " is a test build, they use other drivers. See the kernel documentation for their description "4.xx".

I burned the Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_server_20180601.img to a microSD card.  The Etcher burn had no problems.

It kept freezing halfway through the boot.  It didn't show up on the local web.

I burned the same image to a new microSD card and got the same results.

I burned the same image to a USB flash drive and was able to log on once.  However, during an apt-get update it just froze again and now I can't log in to it either.  So I may have to burn it again.

One thing positive is I did notice an improvement on the display screen so I think the hdmi.sh is okay.

I'm going to burn another microSD card.  I will let you know if I can get it going.

Anything else you could recommend?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, colgeocol said:

I burned the Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_server_20180601.img to a microSD card.  The Etcher burn had no problems.

It kept freezing halfway through the boot.  It didn't show up on the local web.

I burned the same image to a new microSD card and got the same results.

I burned the same image to a USB flash drive and was able to log on once.  However, during an apt-get update it just froze again and now I can't log in to it either.  So I may have to burn it again.

One thing positive is I did notice an improvement on the display screen so I think the hdmi.sh is okay.

I'm going to burn another microSD card.  I will let you know if I can get it going.

Anything else you could recommend? 

What power supply do you use ? All Armbian images are guaranteed to work with SD card and USB flash drive with the correct dtb file. What dtb file do you use in the 3.14 kernel image ? What firmware is installed in the VIM2 itself ?

I use a separate power supply.  I don't power it from the USB-C connector.  The Khadas VIM2 Max works fine.

I used the kvim2_linux.dtb from the dtb folder.  I didn't use the dtb-3.14.29 folder because I assumed it had the same contents as the dtb folder.  Is this the mistake I made?

I only have Android in the eMMC.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have had problems with the microSD socket.  It doesn't always keep the microSD card inserted.

I will burn new images to the USB flash drive and the microSD card using the kvim2_linux.dtb from the dtb-3.14.29 folder.

I'll let you know as soon as I have time to work on it.  Really busy today and tomorrow.

Thanks.

@balbes150

I reinstalled the Android on my VIM2 and now I have no problem booting from microSD or USB.

You solved my problem regarding the framebuffer.  The problem was the incorrect kernel.  Your suggestion worked.

Thank you.

Hello guys, i am looking for an optimal dtb.file for my tv box: X92 with 3gm RRD3 ram / 16ROM and S912.
the armian 5.44-Debian4.16.1.iso (Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_4.16.1_server_20180515.img) 

only starts with meson-gxm-vega-s96.dtb.
unfortunately, hugepages does not work with vega-s96.dtb and armian 5.44 :(
As soon as the core is loaded, the proses are broken ...

Please help :)

greetings
Willi

@balbes150

A new problem has shown up on the VIM2 Max:

If I use the 4.16.1 kernel:
    1. No framebuffer
    2. HDMI detectable connected/disconnected
    3. Displaying EDID detected contents correctly

If I use the 3.14.29 kernel:
    1. Framebuffer is correctly installed/configured
    2. HDMI does not exist
    3. Displaying EDID reported:
        No EDID on bus 1,2, or 4
        Bus 3 doesn't really have an EDID...
        Couldn't find an accessible EDID on this computer

Any idea how I could activate the HDMI bus/port and link it directly to the framebuffer?

14 hours ago, colgeocol said:

Any idea how I could activate the HDMI bus/port and link it directly to the framebuffer? 

Contact Amlogic for the necessary information (sources) and build your own version of the kernel.

H96Pro+ has 2 different versions. One with LDDR3 and one with DDR4, maybe thats the difference. 

I opened the case and there are 2 USB extra inside but no hole in case. Now I have 4x USB ;P

I also have the same.  If yours is like mine, it came with a 5v 2.5A wall wart power supply.

While the extra 2 USB ports are easily uncovered and fully usable, I would not recommend doing so with stock power supplies.  There have been benchmarks with similar devices that show performance degradation with 2A power supplies  I strongly suspect that a 2.5A power supply cannot adequately power both the H96Pro+ and 4 USB devices simultaneously.

I'm using mine with a 5V 4A supply- luckily I have a pile of them lying around.  You may want to look for something similar.

Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_4.16.1_icewm_20180515.img  worked first try.  Thanks, Balbes150 and all others who have contributed!

Edited by subhuman

@balbes150hello thanks again for the effort all the good job.

I finally have my H96Pro+ Dongle running with debian server (kernel 3.14..) version and I wonder if have any way to release more memory to the system itself any tweak I can do or disable something just to running headless ?

Still I don't got any version with kernel 4.xx running yet to see if are better.

Hi everyone,

I'm working on the task of using the fbdev GLES driver from Android 7.1.1 with the help of Libhybris for my KM8P on S912 for Armbian Ubuntu (Debian). In the framework of this task, I managed to build an legacy kernel 3.14.29 with the Mali driver r16p0. And also the mainline kernel 4.18-rc2 with the Mali driver r19p0. You can download the deb packages for the system update by clicking on the links above. 

For a start, it's enough to install the corresponding package linux-image-amlogics905x_5.44_arm64.deb for update of the system and also put mali.conf (taken from the LibreElec distributive) in the directory /lib/modprobe.d/ from the archive.

sudo dpkg -i linux-image-amlogics905x_5.44_arm64.deb

After the system with the 3.14 kernel is upgraded, the device /dev/mali0 appears.

Unfortunately, this did not happen for the mainline kernel. It seems that the reason is that there is no description of the GPU in the device tree. I'm use gxm_q201_1g.dtb.

Next, I build a package of Libhybris from git. For the 64-bit version, I used the following commands:

git clone https://github.com/libhybris/libhybris
cd libhybris/hybris
git clone https://github.com/Halium/android-headers/ -b halium-7.1
./autogen.sh \
    --prefix=/opt/libhybris \
    --build=aarch64-linux-gnu \
    --host=aarch64-linux-gnu \
    --target=aarch64-linux-gnu \
    --with-android-headers=android-headers \
    --enable-adreno-quirks \
    --enable-mali-quirks \
    --enable-debug \
    --enable-trace \
    --enable-arch=arm64 \
    --enable-experimental \
    --with-default-egl-platform=fbdev \
    --with-default-hybris-ld-library-path=/vendor/lib:/system/lib

To build the 32-bit version of Libhybris I installed two packages for cross-compilation: arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc and arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++.
And compiled with the following parameters:

CC=arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc \
CXX=arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ \ 
./autogen.sh  \
	--prefix=/opt/libhybris \
	--with-android-headers=android-headers \
	--enable-adreno-quirks \ 
	--enable-arch=arm \
	--enable-experimental \
	--with-default-hybris-ld-library-path=/system/lib \
	--enable-debug  \
	--enable-trace \ 
	--with-default-egl-platform=fbdev \
	--enable-mali-quirks

Next:

make -j8
sudo make install

Then copied the /system/lib directory from the Android firmware to the root of the file system.

Running /opt/libhybris/bin/test_glesv2, unfortunately, failed:

user@amlogic:/opt/libhybris/bin$ ./test_glesv2
library "libgui.so" wasn't loaded and RTLD_NOLOAD prevented it
test_glesv2: test_glesv2.c:117: main: Assertion `eglGetError() == EGL_SUCCESS' failed.
Aborted

For some reason, the system could not create a surface, test_glesv2.c, s.117:

surface = eglCreateWindowSurface((EGLDisplay) display, ecfg, (EGLNativeWindowType)NULL, NULL);     
        assert(eglGetError() == EGL_SUCCESS);
        assert(surface != EGL_NO_SURFACE);

I hope that someone will be interested in this task and will achieve a better result.

To obtain the hardware acceleration OpenGLES fbdev on the S912 platform, do the following:

- Download the firmware of Armbian 5.44 Ubuntu Mate with the kernel 3.14, created by balbes150.

- Burn the loaded image on the SD-card and and run Ubuntu Mate from the SD card. 

- Download the archive with the kernel 3.14 packages with the Mali driver and the archive with Mali samples and libhybris package. Install all deb packages with the 3.14 kernel from the archive. To do this, go to the unzipped folder aml-s9xx-kernel-3.14.29-with-mali-r16p0-debs, run the command: sudo dpkg -i *.deb.

- Unzip the mali-hybris-s912-packages.tgz. Copy the folder etc to the root of ROOTFS partition to set permissions for the mali and ion devices, and also for configuring ld for libhybris.

- Unzip the system.tgz and copy the contents to the root of ROOTFS partition (sudo tar xzvf system.tgz -C / )

- Unzip Mali-OpenGL-ES-Samples-Linux-Arm-Bin.tgz in the home directory.

- Reboot system.

- After reboot the system, add the armhf architecture for the system:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt update
sudo apt install libc6:armhf libstdc++6:armhf

- Install libhybris-arm_0.1-1-opt_arm64.deb package and configure ld: sudo ldconfig.

- Everything is ready for the test, run: /opt/libhybris/bin/test_glesv2.  A picture should appear, as shown in the first screenshot.

- To run Mali OpenGLES Samples, go to the Mali-OpenGL-ES-Samples-Linux-Arm-Bin folder and start the executable files.

- Freeze the kernel update with the armbian-config.

test_glesv2cube

wow thanks i will try

is it possible to install and run latest kodi standalone under this package?

OK tryd it.. but i have problems install packages like cmake or kodi.. some curios errors with apt-get install. Is there nohing for newer kernels (4.x)? On aktual debian i discoverd no problems installing various programs but Mali driver aren´t available. Or can i compile the Mali T820 kernel module by my self?

Hi  @balbes150

First of all, I must thank you :thumbup:  for the awesome work on porting Armbian for S912.

Though I have booted up Armbian Ubuntu Xenial 16 both Desktop and Server, I cannot get to use all the 3 GB of RAM in my device. I have opened the box and confirmed there are 3 GB DDR4 Samsung chips(2 x K4A8G165WB-BCRC and 2 x K4A4G165WE-BCRC) on the board.

Device:  Beelink GT1 Ultimate 3 G RAM / 32 GB ROM with AP6255 chip.

Armbian version:  Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180515

Currently I am using without dtb.img  I have tried the included dtb files(q200, q201) as well from khadas vim2 without any success.

I am able to use wifi thanks to @lvmc  on 

The wifi hardly remains connected for 10-15 mins and gets disconnected...

Please help me from my misery  :(  I can fetch you as much info as you need....