Armbian for Amlogic S912

chocho

18 hours ago, gnthibault said:

Dear all,

It's been a while since I have posted something here. Thank to @balbes150 and help from other people, I managed to use my awesome set of S912 boxes. Today, I would like to update the image with kernel 4.**.

Can soeone confirm if I should select images from here: https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.55

Thank you, your help has been very valuable to me.

You'll see here the state of 4.55 images of Balbes:

In my case I only test successfully debian stretch server image.

@Didi, don't forget to use aml_autoscript.zip to update your bootloader (see 1rst post of s905 topic) so that it tries first to boot to sd card. If your dtb file isn't good, you'll not be able to boot even in android if your sdcard is plugged in.

@jeanrhum
I tried it several times the way you proposed, but the box is stuck in the boot process and only show "boot" in the internal display and nothing more will happen. I don't know what could went wrong, and yes I'm a little bit helpless also.

2 hours ago, Didi said:

@jeanrhum
I tried it several times the way you proposed, but the box is stuck in the boot process and only show "boot" in the internal display and nothing more will happen. I don't know what could went wrong, and yes I'm a little bit helpless also.

If you try to boot with a 3.14 kernel based image with no dtb (in fact it uses the one from android installed on emmc), is it booting after aml_autoscript update ?

If this latter doesn't work, have you modified the pre-installed rom? If no, try to flash one from freaktab for instance (I use this one on my tap pro and it should be compatible with your box: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/mecool/firmware-roms/687424-rom-vorke-z6-tanix-tx92-stock-nano-nexus-rom-android-7-1)

I think these images from Balbes should work: https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.44/kernel_3.14_20180729

With freaktab images, you have to use usb_burning_tool: https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/05/01/usb-burning-tool-v2-16-released/

In effect you can brick your box, but if you follow a guide and use a compatible rom, it should work well. As usually mentioned, use it at your own risk ;).

I CAN'T BELIVE IT !!! IT WORKS !!!

@jeanrhum

You are my hero of today !! I was very desperate about but then cames you and all went well. I haven't tested all in full but update and upgrade works fine and as optimistic as I am all the rest will also work. Thank you very much for you help !!

@balbes150

Also a big thanx to you for you good job with the rom !

GUYS I AM HAPPY !!! :)

Questions about Babes S912 Armbian .

I have 3 Mecool KM8 running Babes Armbian_5.41_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20180305 S912 Amlogic Armbian.

At first it was a bit experimental but now I feel it is stable and I am just delighted to have such a powerful 5 volt computer to run my Solar Powered Video entertainment (Coreelec) and Ham Radio activities.

I have the following questions.

1.Where do I find the latest version of Armbian s912?

2. Why has Armbian not added S912 to the MAIN download page. I find all the outside download sources very confusing. It is really hard to know what version to download etc. Can we put comments next to each version regarding performance, what works etc.

2. I originally installed Armbian_5.41_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20180305 armbian and have been using sudo apt-get update / upgrade to keep updating.. Is this getting me the latest version of Babes Armbian for s912 or is it just incrementally updating a out of date version of Armbian for s912.

3. I am able to play h265 videos in software decoding at %100 CPU load and I am sort of happy with that as a compromise. But I wonder why can’t the Kodi Android S912 VPU driver be applied to Babes version of Armbian.

Seasalt

hi i have an estgosz android tv box (specs here: http://amzn.eu/d/10IgfH5), and I've been trying unsuccessfully to flash the emmc card on the box. I can get it to boot into linux quite easily using the microsd card, but fdisk doesn't recognise the partition mmcblk01, and p1 and p2 partitions are not showing at all.

so i have 2 questions really:

1) anyone had any luck flashing the emmc memory on this box?

2) how can i tell if the emmc is locked down?

many thanks in advance!

James

Edited by James
typo

hi all

i'm a newbie n i also got a china clone h96pro+ , i just want to konw that is it possible to make it dualboot android/debian install into emmc?

'cause i want to run it as a shadowsocks server when i go to china from hk, but another day just use it as a tv box

thanks for helping all guys

On 8/29/2018 at 6:30 PM, gnthibault said:

Anyone found a dtb that works with any of the 4.18 image from here : https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.55/20180817

I use a H96 pro+ 3G/32G

Ok replying to myself now. Thanks to another user, I found that it was meson-gxm-q200.dtb that should be renamed as dtb.img and copied to /boot.

Now I am experiencing problem trying to install the ima,ge to emmc disk (not SD card).

In case someone see what is going wrong:

root@aml:~# ./install.sh --help
Start copy system for eMMC.
Formatting BOOT partition...mkfs.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
mkfs.vfat: unable to open /dev/mmcblk1p1: No such file or directory
done.
mount: /ddbr/install: special device /dev/mmcblk1p1 does not exist.
Cppying kernel image...done.
Cppying initrd...done.
Writing script eMMC...done.
Writing script eMMC_AML...done.
Writing init ENV...done.
Writing device tree image...done.
umount: /ddbr/install: not mounted.
Formatting ROOT partition...
The file /dev/mmcblk1p2 does not exist and no size was specified.
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk1p2
Possibly non-existent device?
done.
Copying ROOTFS.
mount: /ddbr/install: special device /dev/mmcblk1p2 does not exist.
Copy BIN
Create DEV
Copy ETC
Copy HOME
Copy LIB
Create MEDIA
Create MNT
Copy OPT
Create PROC
Copy ROOT
Create RUN
Copy SBIN
Copy SELINUX
Copy SRV
Create SYS
Create TMP
Copy USR
Copy VAR
Copy fstab
cp: cannot stat '/root/fstab4': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/ddbr/install/usr/bin/kvim_full': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/ddbr/install/usr/bin/kvim_update': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/ddbr/install/usr/bin/kvim2_full': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/ddbr/install/usr/bin/kvim2_update': No such file or directory
umount: /ddbr/install: not mounted.
Done copy ROOTFS
Complete copy OS to eMMC 

Edit: ok that is alright I think, I just created partition table on emmc (gpt) then added 128MB fat16 partition for Boot and the remaining part as ext4 for rootfs

15 hours ago, gnthibault said:

In case someone see what is going wrong:

according to balbes150 who creates those beautiful images, the installation to emmc on the kernel 4.xx looks like this:

1. Execute script “/boot/create-mbr-linux.sh”

2. install Armbian on eMMC execute script “/root/install.sh”.

I did this and it worked just fine

On 7/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, pro777 said:
Spoiler

To obtain the hardware acceleration OpenGLES fbdev on the S912 platform, do the following:

- Download the firmware of Armbian 5.44 Ubuntu Mate with the kernel 3.14, created by balbes150.

- Burn the loaded image on the SD-card and and run Ubuntu Mate from the SD card. 

- Download the archive with the kernel 3.14 packages with the Mali driver and the archive with Mali samples and libhybris package. Install all deb packages with the 3.14 kernel from the archive. To do this, go to the unzipped folder aml-s9xx-kernel-3.14.29-with-mali-r16p0-debs, run the command: sudo dpkg -i *.deb.

- Unzip the mali-hybris-s912-packages.tgz. Copy the folder etc to the root of ROOTFS partition to set permissions for the mali and ion devices, and also for configuring ld for libhybris.

- Unzip the system.tgz and copy the contents to the root of ROOTFS partition (sudo tar xzvf system.tgz -C / )

- Unzip Mali-OpenGL-ES-Samples-Linux-Arm-Bin.tgz in the home directory.

- Reboot system.

- After reboot the system, add the armhf architecture for the system:

Hi, how i can change xorg config to use OpenGLES fbdev by libhybris ? Thank you.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:32 PM, 8a8asik said:

Hi, how i can change xorg config to use OpenGLES fbdev by libhybris ? Thank you.

No OpenGL/EGL/GLES X11 drivers available at this time for S912 SoC.
Hardware rendering via GLES fbdev, as well hardware decoding video and audio is used in the player c2play.

Look at this message.

Thanks for all the hard work on this, it's great to see Linux on these boxes. I have a Beelink GT1

running  Khadas VIM2 dtm (only dtm that worked) on xenial. I can't seem to get the wifi working. 

uname -a: 

Linux aml 4.18.7-aml-s9xxx #4 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 22 17:21:56 MSK 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

lsmod shows the Broadcom driver:

lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
b43                   446464  0
bcma                53248  1 b43
ssb                    45056  1 b43
mac80211        409600  1 b43
cfg80211          315392  2 b43,mac80211
rfkill                 28672  2 cfg80211

iwconfig shows: 

iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

dmesg shows the following but look at the time...

[  370.705112] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
[  370.718911] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[  500.383106] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: NLS ]
[  813.966788] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
[  813.967607] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[  814.010219] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: NLS ]

Any suggestions? 

Just got my H96 Pro+ (S912, 3GB/32GB) version works with the 3.14 image (specifically Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20180729.img) and no dtb file. WiFi does not seem to be recognized but that does not bother me since I use a range extender for my Arm Linux experiments. And I inserted a TP-Link TL-W727N (N150 card) and WiFi immediately works as well.

I was trying the 5.60 version ( Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_20180928.img) but no dtb seems to work to get USB working -- I tried a few dtb and they do not seem to work. 

1 hour ago, Xiaofan said:

I was trying the 5.60 version ( Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_20180928.img) but no dtb seems to work to get USB working -- I tried a few dtb and they do not seem to work. 

meson-gxm-q200.dtb seems to work.  I edited uEnv.ini to point to this dtb and it seems to work fine.

A few things do not work yet on 5.60 version (4.18 kernel)

1) reboot does not work -- only function as shutdown.

2) I have not figured how to change the resolution to 1920x1080p60 yet (HDMI) -- it is now only at 1024x768

3) WiFi does not work and the addon USB card TP-Link TL-WN727N is not working out of the box as in 3.14 kernel.

I followed the following -- by editing armbianEnv.txt to add "disp.screen0_output_mode=1920x1080p60 " (this method works for my Rock64 board) but it does not seem to work.

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Fine-Tuning/

16 minutes ago, Xiaofan said:

2) I have not figured how to change the resolution to 1920x1080p60 yet (HDMI) -- it is now only at 1024x768

3) WiFi does not work and the addon USB card TP-Link TL-WN727N is not working out of the box as in 3.14 kernel.

Just want to mention that all the above works under the 3.14 kernel. For 4.18 kernel, I tested the Armbian 5.60 version and 5.55 version and the results are the same. 

On 10/7/2018 at 2:43 PM, Xiaofan said:

I also noticed those problems with kernel 4.18 (apart from the screen that looks good in 1920x1980 without modifyinh anything). As mentionned earlier, I am using a H96 pro+ 3G/32G with meson-gxm-q200.dtb

For the wifi, I tried to add the wifi_dummy line inside of /etc/modules, but without success unfortunately, although it was working with 3.14 kernel.

For the reboot, has anyone an idea about how to proceed ?to get it to work ?

Dummy question here: after trying for a little while the 5.55 and later version of Armbian, and not being able to make much stuff to work, I would like to use an old release (I was very happy about the 5.27).

Unfortunately, in the process of installing the latest images, I looks like I modified the partition table, and now I cannot use the install.sh script properly from the old release.

Mostly because of error related to the fact that /dev/data does not exist.

Is there a way to format my emmc such that the old installation script works ?

Thank you in advance for your help

Edit: after multiple attempts it looks like none of my 2 H96pro+ boxes even show the H96+ boot logo, is it possible that I bricked my boxes just by formatting the emmc ?

Edit2: Apparently yes... I am now following tutorial from there: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/645787-h96-pro-plus-short-pin-unbrick-help/page9

19 hours ago, gnthibault said:

Dummy question here: after trying for a little while the 5.55 and later version of Armbian, and not being able to make much stuff to work, I would like to use an old release (I was very happy about the 5.27).

Unfortunately, in the process of installing the latest images, I looks like I modified the partition table, and now I cannot use the install.sh script properly from the old release.

Mostly because of error related to the fact that /dev/data does not exist.

Is there a way to format my emmc such that the old installation script works ? 

Thank you in advance for your help

Edit: after multiple attempts it looks like none of my 2 H96pro+ boxes even show the H96+ boot logo, is it possible that I bricked my boxes just by formatting the emmc ?

Edit2: Apparently yes... I am now following tutorial from there: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/645787-h96-pro-plus-short-pin-unbrick-help/page9

If you did not violate the instructions and before installing the system in eMMC created a full backup (using the utility "ddbr"). You could easily go back to the old version.

I draw everyone's attention, before any experiments, be sure to create a backup.

Interesting !

Actually, I tried to run the ddbr command, but I realized that I did not had enough space to store the backup, then I gave up (that was an error).

However, I still have one box, of exactly the same model, that has armbian installed. What would be the procedure to get a backup from this armbian box, and "install" it on the bricked box ?

1 hour ago, gnthibault said:

Interesting !

Actually, I tried to run the ddbr command, but I realized that I did not had enough space to store the backup, then I gave up (that was an error).

However, I still have one box, of exactly the same model, that has armbian installed. What would be the procedure to get a backup from this armbian box, and "install" it on the bricked box ?

If you do not fill the eMMC with your data, the size of the full compressed copy will not be large. For example, the original Android firmware takes about 1-2 GB and can easily fit on any 8GB carrier with Armbian. Now the recovery process will take more steps. If now, connect an SD card with the Armbian 5.55 or 5.44 option to the TV box, what happens when the power is turned on ?

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

If you do not fill the eMMC with your data, the size of the full compressed copy will not be large. For example, the original Android firmware takes about 1-2 GB and can easily fit on any 8GB carrier with Armbian. Now the recovery process will take more steps. If now, connect an SD card with the Armbian 5.55 or 5.44 option to the TV box, what happens when the power is turned on ?

Ok, so without any surprised, after burning the Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180729.img on a sdcard, and trying to boot, nothing happens. ie

My hdmi screen stays black, and only the blue led on the S912 is enabled.

1 hour ago, gnthibault said:

I might be able to get a ddbr recovery file. Could you point me to a link that explains with details how to dump those recovery data on thev bricked boxes ?

Thank you in advance for you help.

If you don't create ddbr backup early best option for unbrick - use original firmware and instruments... Depending on the level of bricking (u-boot is healthy, completely overwritten or damaged) the recovery methods will be different. And you can use search in this forum. Most questions already have answers. In you case(if you can't load from sd or usb, looks like you damaged u-boot) so standard method load armbian from sd and use ddbr you can't use.