Docker support for RK322X TV Boxes

MattWestB

20 hours ago, Bandar said:

Thanks for for your answer @jock, I didn't know which logs to include or how to get them, the instructions you provided are helpful. Now, to accomplish the above, would I need to reinstall an image to flash or is there a way to test this from the SD card?

To append cpu-stability, is the separator a space or a comma?

-------

@primoitt I am very happy to hear that docker works on the Legacy kernel. Was that an "out of the box" installation or did you have to tweak afterwards to get it working? On my first try I installed Docker from softy in armbian-config. This time around I ran the CasaOS script and I think it pulled docker from apt. Both methods resulted in the same issue though.

This is the difference between your script output and mine respectively: https://www.diffchecker.com/xo7fdDFO

Hey @Bandar it was out the box installation.. it's installed from docker respository like this:

curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/debian/gpg | sudo apt-key add -
add-apt-repository "deb [arch=armhf] https://download.docker.com/linux/debian $(lsb_release -cs) stable"
apt-get install docker-ce
systemctl start docker
systemctl status docker
curl -L https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/v2.3.0/docker-compose-linux-armv7 -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
docker --version
Docker version 20.10.16, build aa7e414
docker-compose --version
Docker Compose version v2.3.0

Edited by primoitt

On 6/16/2022 at 11:51 PM, jock said:

@Zoli I don't get what is your problem with armbian images, actually everything is described in the first page of this thread and you should not take the archived images (which are way older) but you should take the stable ones from https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk322x/armbian/stable/ and prefer the mainline/current kernel; legacy is not really maintained anymore.

Once you successfully test the image from sdcard (following the instructions on the first page), you may think to burn it on eMMC/eMCP using the multitool (or via armbian-config), but first be sure your armbian image boots from sdcard, otherwise you may risk to brick the board.

Thank you very much for your help @jock. Reading the description more closely, I realized that I skipped the "erase flash" step with Multitool, but this step is required to run Armbian from the SD card. The Armbian now works great on my TV box. 🙂 Thank you.

@Bandar I thought about your issue but nothing really come up to me... It is unusual that you get boot looping at that point of the boot process, because the boot is almost complete and just some userland processes are started there.

I don't know if a serial adapter could provide further info because, if I understand it right, the boot loop happens all of a sudden, like an instant reboot so it is possible that the kernel does not say anything about the reboot cause.

I would ask you more details (for example the signature of the board, or maybe some high resolution photos), but the issue is so weird I don't think it can be solved without hard debugging.

Yet it could always be a faulty power adapter or a faulty sdcard, these issue are always possible.

@jock I had taken these a while back when I opened the box to look at the processor model, and decided to keep them for reference during the rk322x-config setup. Do these pictures suffice?

There is some reflection/glare on the first pic but it is still very legible. I could take better ones if you tell me what parts to focus on.

On the bottom left of the board, in the second picture, it says TXCZ-RK3229-MXQ-V2.2 (I assume this is the signature).

In rk322x-config I choose RK3228A (max 1.2 Ghz) instead of RK3229 bc that is what rk322x-config says I have, a 1.2Ghz board. AIDA 64 said RK3229, and I just saw it is printed on the board... Could me choosing the wrong processor play any role in this?

Yeah, the boot loop happens all of a sudden, exactly at the same moment every time. Immediately after it outputs: "[   OK   ]  Found device /dev/ttyS2". It is very consistent in that regard.

I thought about faulty parts, but they work flawlessly on the Legacy Kernel... If it was the case, shouldn't they be spotty on the Legacy kernel as well?

PXL_20220609_122843243-02.thumb.jpeg.b8e473044d90cd9d003ff79b076b6a1a.jpegPXL_20220609_122759262-01.thumb.jpg.12fb60c9ac3cb4fb98b8876387c1ab94.jpg

Edited by Bandar

@Bandar Is it one comport on the opposite side of the PCB from the HDMI connection ? One is GND and 2 "small" lanes plus one more that is likely power supply (3.3 or 5 volt and no need to using).

By the way its looks you is having one pad for getting the device is masc ROM on the left side from the likely comport connection.

@jockCan the "[   OK   ]  Found device /dev/ttyS2" indicating that the the SD-card is not OK configured and the system is trying using it for ttyS2 and is locking the SD-card liens and crashing ??

Trying disabling the ttyS2 in the config and the SD-card its working ?

@MattWestB Nope, /dev/ttyS2 is just the debug serial port; the reboot in such point does not mean that exact device is the cause of the issue.

Connecting a serial adapter could show the real cause of the reboot because the kernel may print something just before the reboot; not considering it would be easier to get a full dmesg log.

@Bandar The only new driver on latest 5.15 kernel is ssv6051; it could be interesting to create a file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and putting into it the string blacklist ssv6051 just to be sure the module is not causing and issue.

Also, did you try with another sdcard?

BTW: photos are perfect :thumbup:

On 6/17/2022 at 9:16 PM, primoitt said:
curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/debian/gpg | sudo apt-key add -
add-apt-repository "deb [arch=armhf] https://download.docker.com/linux/debian $(lsb_release -cs) stable"
apt-get install docker-ce
systemctl start docker
systemctl status docker
curl -L https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/v2.3.0/docker-compose-linux-armv7 -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
docker --version
Docker version 20.10.16, build aa7e414
docker-compose --version
Docker Compose version v2.3.0

@primoitt

I just tried a fresh install with your instructions and I still ran into the same problem =/

707487847_Screenshotfrom2022-06-2019-13-24.thumb.png.32e672683d10315cdf48764e4533cf9e.png

Error I get when trying to install from CasaOS interface. Same as from if doing from terminal.

@MattWestB

I am not sure I understand your message. Are you what those two little pins that are sticking out on the sides of the board? If so I have no Idea what they are...

@jock

Thanks, I will try blacklisting the ssv6051 driver, and if this doesn't succeed I will try a different SD card.

While this isn't solved, I would also like to get the current box working with docker on this kernel. I have read this instruction from docker to revert to cgroup v1 (as I am under the impression doing this would solve the issue in the image above(?)), but I am unsure how to edit kernel cmdline. Instructions say to pass "systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0" to this the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line in /etc/default/grub.

But there is no grub file in that folder. So where would I do that?

10 hours ago, Bandar said:

But there is no grub file in that folder. So where would I do that?

You can append arguments to kernel command line adding extraargs=... in /etc/armbianEnv.txt; erverything that is beyond the "=" will be passed as is to the kernel command line

Hey @Bandar

Idk CasaOS  but should try a simple test like this

docker pull hello-world
docker run hello-world

Hello from Docker!
This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.

To generate this message, Docker took the following steps:
 1. The Docker client contacted the Docker daemon.
 2. The Docker daemon pulled the "hello-world" image from the Docker Hub.
    (arm32v7)
 3. The Docker daemon created a new container from that image which runs the
    executable that produces the output you are currently reading.
 4. The Docker daemon streamed that output to the Docker client, which sent it
    to your terminal.

To try something more ambitious, you can run an Ubuntu container with:
 $ docker run -it ubuntu bash

Share images, automate workflows, and more with a free Docker ID:
 https://hub.docker.com/

For more examples and ideas, visit:
 https://docs.docker.com/get-started/

Hey @jock @fabiobassa

I just installed an Android 8.1 on other box.. I know its an Armbian forum but I'm curious about your experience..

I want to use an usb bluetooth dongle (CSR 4.0) but seems there is no builtin driver...

Is it possible to compile the driver like this example on Android?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnnePro/comments/e76ij8/csr_40_bluetooth_dongle_on_linux/

Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, primoitt said:

Hey @jock @fabiobassa

I just installed an Android 8.1 on other box.. I know its an Armbian forum but I'm curious about your experience..

I want to use an usb bluetooth dongle (CSR 4.0) but seems there is no builtin driver...

Is it possible to compile the driver like this example on Android?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnnePro/comments/e76ij8/csr_40_bluetooth_dongle_on_linux/

Thanks!!

Ah-ha, nope... or to be precise: I guess you would need the android kernel sources/headers to compile a working driver for it.

Dear friends, lately many many questions on this 3ad are about docker and it's problems.

I really would suggest to open a different discussion and leave here only kernel and hardware relate problems, because if we continue here with user space implementantions the 3ad becames abnormous and difficult to read.

Maybe @MattWestB and @primoitt could start soewhere else an apposit 3ad and guide other friends into solutions.

Lately if solution needs an intervent on kernel all of you will be welcome to ask here

Thanks a lot !!! 🤗

32 minutes ago, fabiobassa said:

I really would suggest to open a different discussion and leave here only kernel and hardware relate problems, because if we continue here with user space implementantions the 3ad becames abnormous and difficult to read.

Done.  I went back to the end of April and tried to pull out all the docker related posts into this new thread.  If you think I should go back farther, or if some of these posts should be moved back to the original thread let me know.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, these weeks were very busy.

On 6/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, jock said:

it could be interesting to create a file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and putting into it the string blacklist ssv6051 just to be sure the module is not causing and issue.

@jock I did it and the boot loops still happen sadly. Same result when using a different SD card.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, jock said:

You can append arguments to kernel command line adding extraargs=... in /etc/armbianEnv.txt; erverything that is beyond the "=" will be passed as is to the kernel command line

Is there anyway to verify this worked? I have added extraargs=systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 but that doesn't seem to have done anything. I still get the same error when running Docker containers.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, primoitt said:

maybe you could try another rom..

@primoitt I have tried Jammy Current XFCE and Buster Current Minimal. Same issue =$

12 hours ago, Bandar said:

Is there anyway to verify this worked? I have added extraargs=systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 but that doesn't seem to have done anything. I still get the same error when running Docker containers.

dmesg tells you the current command line.

Whatever those command do is out of my reach.