armbian boot failed after write to emmc when replace u-boot

guoliangzhong

I have a X96 air P1 TV box,I burn Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0_desktop.img to SD card and rename u-boot-s905x2-s922 to u-boot.ext it boot successful (use meson-sm1-sei610.dtb),when I was run  /root/install-aml.sh write the systemOS to emmc it also can boot successful,but the wifi and hdmi audio don't work,so i search from google and download a new u-boot file name with u-boot-new,I copy the u-boot-new file to SD card and rename it to u-boot.ext then insert the sd card to tv box, the wifi and hdmi audio work great, I'm very excited, but when I run /root/install-aml.sh again, the tv box boot failed , it endless echo "missing envitonment variable: bootfile" and "retrieving file: prelinux.cfg/xxx" in boot process, finally it say "DMA reset timeout" and "Config file not found " , I guess this is boot script bug, how can I setting the env var or how to fix this error ?  forgive my poor English, thanks!

Device 0: unknown device
Card did not respond to voltage select! 
unable to select a mode

MMC Device not found

no mmc device at alot 2
DMA reset timeout
missing environment variable: pxeuuid
missing environment variable: bootfile
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/01-62-02-70-d5-a0-7d
DMA reset timeout
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000000
DMA reset timeout
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0000000
DMA reset timeout
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/000000
DMA reset timeout
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0000

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/000

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-meson-odroid-n2

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-meson

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm

DMA reset timeout

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default

DMA reset timeout

Config file not found 

DMA reset timeout

DMA reset timeout

=>

I would look at the install script, and see if they are the same, after that, look at the config files and compare them..

Maybe you can copy some files from from one installation to the other to patch it, If successful, post here to help others.

I don't have the same box, so I can't really help much.

Edited by s-petersen

2 minutes ago, s-petersen said:

I would look at the install script, and see if they are the same, after that, look at the config files and compare them.

this u-boot-new is extract from Manjaro ARM,do you mean compare the tow install-aml.sh ? where is the config files?

7 hours ago, guoliangzhong said:

this u-boot-new is extract from Manjaro ARM

When you say extracted, what do you mean?  I don't know the manjaro setup.

Also, given that Armbian isn't supported on TV Boxes and especially for amlogic based boxes where the latest build is 18 months old, why are you trying to use armbian?  Why not just go with what manjaro has?

It looks like from the logs that with this other u-boot that it can't detect the internal emmc.

16 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

When you say extracted, what do you mean?  I don't know the manjaro setup.

Also, given that Armbian isn't supported on TV Boxes and especially for amlogic based boxes where the latest build is 18 months old, why are you trying to use armbian?  Why not just go with what manjaro has?

It looks like from the logs that with this other u-boot that it can't detect the internal emmc.

Thank for your help ,I’m not confirm this u−boot file source ,just dowanload from manjaro forum when i search WiFi and audio question in google,armbian is very nice for me,I love it,especially use this boot file the audio and WiFi work great ,if we solve this question ,armbian well very perfect on amlogic base tv box

5 minutes ago, guoliangzhong said:

just dowanload from manjaro forum when i search WiFi and audio question in google

Can you PM me a link to that post.  I would like to research the context of what you found.

On 6/26/2022 at 12:27 AM, SteeMan said:

Can you PM me a link to that post.  I would like to research the context of what you found.

I don't know why the links of my comment are automatically hidden or deleted, so i encoding the url in base64
please decode them

Edited by guoliangzhong

On 6/26/2022 at 12:21 AM, guoliangzhong said:

I’m not confirm this u−boot file source 

I'm confirm the source of u-boot-new now, it from manjaro-arm-xfce-vim3-21.03.img,because them has same md5 value, but my x96 air box's wifi/hdmi audio  not work when run this img (use same dtb )

Edited by guoliangzhong

15 часов назад, guoliangzhong сказал:

I don't know why the links of my comment are automatically hidden or deleted, so i encoding the url in base64
please decode them

You were specifically written to send links only to private messages, and not to post on the forum.

I am getting the same error too. I use the x96 air 2g_100m (s905x3) version. I used Armbian for amlogic(bulls_eye, xfce) boxes as specified in the tutorial here. I tried with many dtbs, (it even had one named x96 air) all of the didn't work. So I tried the u-boot.ext file from this Manjaro for Arm tutorial. The link for the .tar. This combined with 'meson-sm1-x96-air.dtb' file worked great and I was able to boot from SD card without any hiccups. And for the first time, the onboard wifi was working flawlessly. I could only get it to work with Coreelec before. 
With this, I decided to write it to emmc . I used the 'install-aml.sh' to do this and it completed successfully. But when I rebooted from emmc, it was showing the same error as the OP here.
I don't know much about u-boot files and dtbs, hence I stumbled upon this discussion. I thought I could provide some extra info to help . 
Thanks