OrangePiLite not booting with dev Image (kernel 4.7.6)

damies

Hi All,

I'll start with I know this is a dev image...... but I would like to see the 4.x kernels working on the Orange Pi Lite, so would like to be able to find out why it's not and help get that resolved in any way I can.

I have 2 images, both were built using the compile.sh:

Armbian_5.20_Orangepilite_Ubuntu_xenial_3.4.112.img
Armbian_5.21_Orangepilite_Ubuntu_xenial_4.7.6.img

I dd'd the 3.4.112 kernel image onto a Micro SD, put it in to my Orange Pi Lite and booted it up and confirmed it was working as expected, the green light flashed, the red one also flashed on first boot, then after the reboot I logged in, changed password etc.

I then powered off the Orange Pi Lite, removed the Micro SD card and dd'd the 4.7.6 image, then repeated the process, however this time no green light on the Orange Pi Lite even after waiting over 10 min and pressing the power button a few times.

To rule out hardware, I have in both cases used exactly the same hardware (Same Micro SD card, same power supply, same cable, same Orange Pi Lite).

After this failed boot, i removed the SD card and mounted on a linux machine to try and figure out what happened, I looked in: 
$ cat microsd/var/log/dmesg 
(Nothing has been logged yet.)

I looked in a few other files but don't know what I am looking for.

I am not that familiar with the boot process of the H3 boards, but I'm guessing by the content of dmesg and the lack of a green light that the kernel never booted? I was also not able to connect via the OTG port.

Any suggestions on what I should look at next?

I also tried Armbian_5.17_Orangepilite_Ubuntu_xenial_4.7.2.raw a while back and had the same result, but gave up there at that time.

Dave.

In this tread:

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2125-armbian-for-orange-pi-does-not-boot/?hl=u-boot

It appears that Hugo has used /dev/ttyUSB0 on a linux machine to connect to his Orange Pi+. Is this something unique to the Orange Pi+? when I connect a usb cable to the otg port of my OPi Lite I don't see the u-boot screen, also I can't see it when I connect to a TV with the HDMI.

Knowing how to get to see the u-boot screen could help me understand better the issue I' having above.

Dave.

It appears that Hugo has used /dev/ttyUSB0 on a linux machine to connect to his Orange Pi+. Is this something unique to the Orange Pi+? when I connect a usb cable to the otg port of my OPi Lite I don't see the u-boot screen, also I can't see it when I connect to a TV with the HDMI.

You need separate USB-UART adapter: https://linux-sunxi.org/UART

There is a 3-pin header on all Orange boards (on Lite it is between USB and OTG ports), serial console on this header will get you u-boot and kernel messages (and command prompt if necessary)

Hi zador,

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have one of those :(

I do have one of these:

u232-p9-1.jpg

Will this work If I wire up a serial cable something like this?:

Cable.jpg

Given it takes months for anything to be delivered here, when I order on line (the curse of living outside a major city), and there are no local suppliers, so I can't exactly go racing down to the local shop. If I can make up a cable this way I could be up and running much quicker.

Be careful when you are doing something like that. OPi+ has 3.3V signals and standard RS-232 can go up to 12V if I'm not mistaken. You would certainly need some kind of level shifter. Depending on your skills, you can solder one quickly from spare transistors and resistors or you can order one.

Will this work If I wire up a serial cable something like this?:

No, you will may burn your board, you need 3.3V or 5V (not recommended, but should work on Oranges) adapter or use a level shifter.

Given it takes months for anything to be delivered here, when I order on line (the curse of living outside a major city), and there are no local suppliers, so I can't exactly go racing down to the local shop. If I can make up a cable this way I could be up and running much quicker.

You can use Arduino with USB port, serial adapter for Arduinos without USB ports, interface cable for some old Nokia phones (you have to Google for exact models that are actually USB-UART adapters) or UART port on another board.

I quickly looked through your post history, and since you have more than one Orange board, you can install Armbian limage with legacy kernel on one of those, enable one of UART interfaces that are available on 40 pin GPIO header in fex file and use this interface to connect to the testing board.

@jernej - Thanks for the heads up.

You can use Arduino with USB port, serial adapter for Arduinos without USB ports, interface cable for some old Nokia phones (you have to Google for exact models that are actually USB-UART adapters) or UART port on another board.

I quickly looked through your post history, and since you have more than one Orange board, you can install Armbian limage with legacy kernel on one of those, enable one of UART interfaces that are available on 40 pin GPIO header in fex file and use this interface to connect to the testing board.

I don't have any Arduino equipment either, and just a couple of months back we chucked all the old Nokia stuff (when the wife went on a cleaning spree)

looks like connecting to another OPi is my best bet, i'll have to find some suitable cables.

Thanks @zador this is a big help.

Dave.