jessie/cubieboard: /var/run on tmpfs , how to add a subdirectory permantly ?

brenndorfler

Hi,

I'm using the Igor-Image:

Linux cubieboard2 4.0.5-cubietruck #12 SMP Thu Jun 11 19:18:02 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

I installed a program that is using a PID-file, normally under: /var/run/fhem/fhem.pid

I created a sub-folder and changed the owner and permissions.

With the next reboot, all changes where lost. I noticed that the /var/run is linked to /run and this is a tmpfs.

So, is there an option to add a subdirectory permanently to /run?

Alternatively I will add a short script, that will do these operations after reboot, but in my opinion, that is not the fancy way...

greets

brenndorfler

A tmpfs is empty after reboot by design. So unless you populate it eg. from /etc/rc.local (which distro do you use? Wheezy, jessie, trusty?) or use daemons like tmpfs-populate another approach would be to let the PID file reside somewhere else (again: without details which distro you're using it's impossible to help).

which distro do you use? Wheezy, jessie, trusty?

Sorry, I only mentioned it in the topic title: It is Debian 8 / Jessie ...

Yes, I understand that a tmpfs is empty by default and that it is populated early in the boot-process.

But: Where/How is this task normally configured?

Sorry, I only mentioned it in the topic title: It is Debian 8 / Jessie ...

Sorry, I've overseen that. If you're using the forking method to start FHEM I would uncomment/adjust $PIDFile in /etc/systemd/system/fhem.service as well set 

attr global pidfilename /path/to/fhem.pid

in fhem.cfg. And let that point to a mountpoint not residing on a tmpfs. Or you add a simple

[ -d /var/run/fhem ] || mkdir -p /var/run/fhem

to the startscript or in your case systemd service (I assume you're using systemd and not SysV init -- it seems to be possible to use Jessie with the latter too)

I installed the fhem.deb-Package and did an update via the fhem-program itself. This package comes still with SysV init -Script.

Thanks for the hint, the init-script is really a good place to create the folder and set the permissions.

My /etc/init.d/fhem looks now like:

case "$1" in
'start')

echo "Starting fhem..."

[ -d /var/run/fhem ] || { mkdir -p /var/run/fhem; chmod a+w /var/run/fhem; }

Thanks!  :thumbup:

brenndorfler