Armbian 22.05 Jammy XFCE on S905X3 F3 Air box

RMG

To run latest desktop build on F3 Air one can use below steps. I am not sure if there is an easier way exist.

1) Downloaded the image Armbian 22.05 Jammy XFCE from Odroid HC4 section.

2) Write to SD CARD, this will create ext4 partition.

3) Use Partition tool of your choice and create another Partition at the beginning of disk and format as FAT type.

4) copy the files from /Boot to FAT drive and place the u-boot.ext file from old release which worked for you earlier.

5) Place the extlinux folder with extlinux.conf file and update the FDT.

6) Rename the files like image and initrd as required.

Boot from sdcard, 

The latest desktop now runs in F3 Air.

This image is quite fast but issue with Wify/ Bluetooth as usual.

Compared to Manjaro i found the Armbian image is quite fast and responsive.

Probably wiLL Post dir structure later today I am not sure i allowed to share files as zip.

Edited by RMG
Corrected boot.ext from u-boot.ext ...

1 hour ago, RMG said:

4) copy the files from /Boot to FAT drive and place the boot.ext file from old release which worked for you earlier.

What do you mean by "place the boot.ext file from old release"?

I think you are leaving out some important steps/information in your post.  If someone read this starting with a new box, I don't think your steps work to get a running Armbian.  But you don't indicate what needs to be done.

Just now, SteeMan said:

What do you mean by "place the boot.ext file from old release"?

@SteeMan thanks for noticing Just wanted to create a Topic for F3 Air box that's all so the details I kept minimal.

These steps are nothing new, in different threads several times these steps are quoted. The boot.ext is the famous u-boot.ext file indeed.

Earlier we use to have fat partition also shipped in the image file, but now the support for S905X3 is not provided/stopped.

Not sure if in any other Desktop image the fat partition is now included like in old times.

Partition layout of SD card.

image.png.a2cdc11b39b327c6923fd3a23e741920.png

Below is the Boot partition files from my SD card, some of these may be irrelevant, to match the file with that of files in /boot use size parameter while renaming,

image.png.bc18b2729ff5a94e075b7bdb8757cfe0.png

extlinux.conf file, fix PARTUUID as per the ur disk partition.

KERNEL /Image
FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-sm1-sei610.dtb
APPEND initrd=/initramfs-linux.img root=PARTUUID=9f9ca195-05 rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720M@60D

image.png

image.png

My setup become corrupt  while experimenting with different dtbs as I was trying to fix onboard Wifi.
So wanted to give Armbian_22.05.4_Odroidhc4_sid_edge_5.17.5_kde-plasma try this time.

Used same method as above and KDE environment boots up but unable to find Desktop Setting configuration so I could apply correct screen resolution. The edges are  hiding.

I think Armbian 22.05 Jammy XFCE is much better for starters as it is much more customizable.

• With Jammy XFCE did some experiments

Pulled the F3 air dtb from Android OS using ADB connection and used with Armbian and it refuses to boot.

There are Lots of differences, Wifi_config/sdio  nodes not present in meson-sm1-a95xf3-air.dtb, I tried to copy and paste the sections related to Wifi in to meson-sm1-a95xf3-air.dtb but no success.

If some expert can patch and upload new DTB here, then I will give try. For now I am happy with meson-sm1-a95xf3-air.dtb and will use the USB Wifi adapter and Bluetooth is not a necessity.

It would be grate if one on this forum is able to get on Board Wifi/BlueTooth on F3 Air box working using new images. I shared both the DTBs.