Cubieboard1 3.4.112-sun4i - Jessie. Anyone installed brother printer in CUPS?

maruprez

According to Brother, your printer does not implement any printer languages like PCL or Postscript.

It is a GDI Printer, where the rasterization is generated by a Windows driver on the PC.

Source of this info: http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=at〈=de∏=hl2130_all&ftype3=2047&faqid=faq00000180_005

English: (slightly different) http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us_ot〈=en∏=hl2130_all&faqid=faq00000180_005

On Brothers site you will find .deb files for download, which are meant to work on Debian.

I found no information as to what Debian version are supported.

No information on x86 / Arm support.

Generally it is a bad idea to buy GDI printers, as they are only well supported in Windows.

Better get one with PCL and/or Postscript support.

I personally use Brother printers which have a Postscript emulation inside; they work well with all Linux computers after installing the corresponding .ppd (Postscript Printer Definition) file from Brothers site into CUPS.

This does depend on neither Debian version nor CPU type.

@gnasch

Thank's a lot. Your contribution helped me to backward the Armbian version to the last Wheezy one that I've cooked. Now the printer is working in CUPS with no problems.

Anyway, can't understand why?. It's true that CUPS version on Wheezy is 1.5.3 and in Jessie is 1.7.5. Also some filters as foomatic-filters has been changed.....

Thank's

Josemari

Can you please provide the output from ' lpstat -t' and put the PPD that's now used in Wheezy and can be found below /etc/cups/ppd/ on pastebin.com or something similar?

Normally Linux 'drivers' for Brother printers are GPL licensed Perl wrappers around scripts that do this and that to work within every possible printing system (CUPS is not the only one). I'll never understand why Brother advertises printers capable of PCL or even PostScript 3 as GDI printers or provides .debs for i386 architecture only that do not contain any platform specific code and could be installed using 'dpkg -i --force-all '.

In case you've the Jessie installation around getting the "Generic CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package)" from here http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=de〈=de∏=hl2130_all&os=128&flang=Englishand giving it a try with 'dpkg -i --force-all ' (after installing CUPS of course) would be an idea.

Thanks, the PPD used is somewhat weird and maybe the sole reason why printing didn't work any more in case you upgraded from Wheezy to Jessie.

If I were you I would simply install hplip  package on a clean Jessie install and then try if you already can access the printer through CUPS user interface. If not please get back to us.