CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards

jock

29 minutes ago, awawa said:

If I change the firmware to BCM.hcd then it works. So at least the firmware is correct.

Ok thanks, got it!

But I stille have to rename it to a proper name, BCM.hcd is just a fallback.

47 minutes ago, awawa said:

Thanks, I will reupload it on different hosting soon.
If I change the firmware to BCM.hcd then it works. So at least the firmware is correct.

EDIT: images should work now...privacy setting was set wrong.

dmesg 37.88 kB · 2 downloads

Could you do a last try (the last one, I promise!) renaming the firmware file into BCM43342A1.hcd and trying again?

I understand the BCM.hcd works, but I can't leave it as is since it is a generic fallback.

Thank you all

I tested   Armbian 22.02 - Ubuntu Jammy (beta) desktop [xfce] - mainline kernel 5.15.23 

--  WORKING  --

WIFI (LG642 WIFI chip)

Boot from SD-card

Flash SD to eMMC (using armbian-config)

Updates (with Linux image and kernel headers as hold)

--  POTENTIAL PROBLEM  --

Boot from eMMC working BUT (with no SD-Card installed)

- Slow initial start before anything on screen. About 13 seconds from power plugged in to the first text on screen. Then normal boot

--  NOT WORKING  --

RAM size not correct image sees 2gb but board is 4gb 

Front LEDs (completely blank)

dmesg

7 hours ago, jock said:

@Petroz

eMMC is mmc2 device, and from your dmesg I read:

[    1.901356] mmc2: card has unknown MMCA version 6
[    1.901408] mmc2: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card

so, for some reason, your eMMC does not behave well. Can't say anything more, I have never seen such error and can absolutely be a faulty eMMC.

Did you run rk3318-config? Maybe setting/unsetting the emmc-pins overlay can change the situation.

mmc1 is wifi device attached to SDIO bus, mmc0 is the sdcard which has also has a problem getting into high-speed mode, but at least it works.

It would be nice to have some pictures of the board and maybe the original firmware and or its dtb to understand if there are peculiar differences from other  boards

Ok, I've managed to extract dts from .img firmware file.

https://pastebin.com/qiL1RQbV

https://pastebin.com/ksP7veh8

https://pastebin.com/bMj3GSDF

The images of the board:

https://ibb.co/5xfk6K7

https://ibb.co/6DyfgX5

EDIT : I've compared above dtb with rk3318-box.dtb and tried to sync the differences, but It changed nothing. Using armbian-config and selecting dt overlays for mmc either. The SD card still has problems entering high speed mode, and the eMMC still returns those weird errors. It seems that this eMMC is indeed faulty.

10 hours ago, jock said:

@MattWestB ok, you're the second in row (after @Petroz) that are reporting such mmc problems, so probably there is something on your board that needs to be fixed.

Photos of the board, dmesg, original firmware or (better) the original dtb are useful.

Sorry @jock i was replaying (but not good done) of @Petroz posted dmesg files that was looking little strange but realistic.

I hope my new box is coming in some days from Spain.

@MattWestB no problem!

@Petroz took a look into the dtb you sent, but found nothing so different than regular base dtb shipped with armbian.

emmc, sdcard and sdio wifi are all child of the same "master" controller, so often when there is a problem with one of them, also others may suffer. Here I absolutely don't know what is the cause of the problem, the board looks like an already known board (probably the board name is written below the heatsink).

I may suggest you to try the multitool and see if you got the same errors in dmesg? multitool uses rockchip legacy 4.19 kernel and things may be a little different there.

Hello everyone!

I have a hk1 max 4/64 rk3318 tv box. I burned an image of Armbian 22.02 - Debian Bullseye minimal - mainline kernel 5.15.23 and some others for rk3318 with multitool to emmc memory. The system works fine, WiFi works right away, after the rk3318 config, bluetooth and LED work. But after a long power outage of the set-top box, I can not start it again. I tried to run multitool, pull out sd, but it does not start. Various combinations of power connection (quick turn on-off-turn on), (turn on wait-turn off-turn on) and the like. Tv box does not turn on and I have to write the image to emmc again (I do errase). I'm new to this, I'll attach logs if needed. Just please tell me which command.

Sorry for my language. I am using a translator

3 hours ago, Luk said:

Hello everyone!

I have a hk1 max 4/64 rk3318 tv box. I burned an image of Armbian 22.02 - Debian Bullseye minimal - mainline kernel 5.15.23 and some others for rk3318 with multitool to emmc memory. The system works fine, WiFi works right away, after the rk3318 config, bluetooth and LED work. But after a long power outage of the set-top box, I can not start it again. I tried to run multitool, pull out sd, but it does not start. Various combinations of power connection (quick turn on-off-turn on), (turn on wait-turn off-turn on) and the like. Tv box does not turn on and I have to write the image to emmc again (I do errase). I'm new to this, I'll attach logs if needed. Just please tell me which command.

Sorry for my language. I am using a translator

Hello!

That's not easy giving you commands to do debugging and trying to understand what is wrong with your installation if you lack basic Linux skills.

I did not understand if multitool boots from sdcard or it does not.

If it boots, the first thing you should try is to go into a shell with option 4 and the run:

fsck.ext4 -p -y /dev/mmcblk0p1

to do an automatic check and repair of the filesystem.

Then go back to multitool with exit command and chose shutdown, remove sdcard and boot again

3 часа назад, jock сказал:

Hello!

That's not easy giving you commands to do debugging and trying to understand what is wrong with your installation if you lack basic Linux skills.

I did not understand if multitool boots from sdcard or it does not.

If it boots, the first thing you should try is to go into a shell with option 4 and the run:

fsck.ext4 -p -y /dev/mmcblk0p1

to do an automatic check and repair of the filesystem.

Then go back to multitool with exit command and chose shutdown, remove sdcard and boot again

This is me re-installed armbian and tried your command

root@rk3318-box:~# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/mmcblk2: 58.24 GiB, 62537072640 bytes, 122142720 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x13bf04d4

Device         Boot Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk2p1      32768 120913919 120881152 57.6G 83 Linux

Disk /dev/zram0: 1.94 GiB, 2083540992 bytes, 508677 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 4096 = 4096 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/zram1: 50 MiB, 52428800 bytes, 12800 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 4096 = 4096 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

root@rk3318-box:~# fsck.ext4 -p -y /dev/mmcblk2p1
e2fsck: Only one of the options -p/-a, -n or -y may be specified.
root@rk3318-box:~# fsck.ext4 -p /dev/mmcblk2p1
/dev/mmcblk2p1 is mounted.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

this is what it looks like from shell multitool

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ad2AxB89m4NlLekq_POtZ0611jsC1rrL/view?usp=sharing

bad blocks no

3 hours ago, Luk said:

This is me re-installed armbian and tried your command

No, you had to run it from multitool to see if the filesystem was corrupted.

If you reinstalled the system there is no use for such command.

25 минут назад, jock сказал:

Нет, вам нужно было запустить его из мультитула, чтобы увидеть, повреждена ли файловая система.

Если вы переустанавливали систему, такая команда бесполезна.

From multitool I tried before reinstalling the system. After I installed the system, updated everything and tried your command. as well as in armbian-config install (install to/update boot loader) Some of it helped. Thanks for helping me with the problem

Hello @jock and thankyou and all other contributers. I was thinking about to install legecy image but i findout BCM43342 patch is only appleied to mainline and by installing legecy image my wifi will not detect.

I possible for you to apply that patch also for legecy and update the legecy image please? I really don't have requirements for building armbian image myself.

17 hours ago, AmirMahdi said:

Hello @jock and thankyou and all other contributers. I was thinking about to install legecy image but i findout BCM43342 patch is only appleied to mainline and by installing legecy image my wifi will not detect.

I possible for you to apply that patch also for legecy and update the legecy image please? I really don't have requirements for building armbian image myself.

Hello!

I'm sorry but I don't provide legacy images anymore for rk3318 from a long time.

In fact there are images only for "edge" 5.15 kernel, which will become "current" mainline kernel in a couple of weeks.

The patches for legacy kernel are almost dismissed because everything is moving towards mainline.

Is there a particular reason you need legacy kernel?

On 2/18/2022 at 1:16 AM, jock said:

Hello!

I'm sorry but I don't provide legacy images anymore for rk3318 from a long time.

In fact there are images only for "edge" 5.15 kernel, which will become "current" mainline kernel in a couple of weeks.

The patches for legacy kernel are almost dismissed because everything is moving towards mainline.

Is there a particular reason you need legacy kernel?

No i just wanted to test a bit stabler kernel and check has it chromium video acceleration or not. Now i'm on mainline image and everything works expect gpu and vpu releted stuff. The screen response was very slow but after changing lima 3d acceleration settings to none it almost fixed. But now resolution seems wrong(I didn't even tried to fix) and i also was thinking of hardware video acceleration.

Also I have another question, did anyone success to compile https://github.com/bootlin/libva-v4l2-request in mainline kernel? With this package we can easily run ffmpeg, chromium and other applications which supports vaapi.

Using Multitool erase emmc and run from uSD card has no problem but I have a bit problem initial emmc setup after flash image which is my Focal Edge bulid, it does not boot. I need to boot from uSD card and rsync to clone uSD's root partition (mmcblk0p1) to emmc root (mmcblk2p1). It's perfectly fine after that.

I use RK322x for Retroarch emulator gaming box. It's limit 1GB which it's not great to use for firefox / chromium browser.

For RK3318 it has generous 4GB RAM which it isn't dragged from mem swapping when browsing internet. It's usable for internet browsing now. Retro gaming emulator is also great too but I'm not familiar with 64 bit arm that I think it could be more optimized.

I use this RK3318 for graphic editor such as Gimp / Pinta with digitizer tablet but it is still lagging while drawing. Is there any solution to make it run smooth?

My tv box brand is HK1 Super.  PCB Layout is same as enigmasphinx's board in previous post but emmc and wifi chip are different.

Front:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12AuJ7V58-aY4biElIKFB0jHoDEMAxXfB/view?usp=sharing

Back:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wHFVc7PzYWaq0C2r-u921lbBL-VrYPpT/view?usp=sharing

Serial output from Original firmware:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UdJiURMTRr0naCd63ODP_xdfoinrRLTJ/view?usp=sharing

Are this Firmware dump is useful? I could upload it. If I remember correctly, it has someone upload this firmware in some previous.

I bought RK322x and has successful make it a great Linux tvbox. I decided to bought another RK3318 which it is my second great decision. I enjoy very much from using both boxes. Thank you for your great work.

Additional info:

This tvbox needs to press reset switch (inside audio jack) and power on before switching boot between sd card and emmc otherwise it won't boot. After several switch between emmc and uSD, it has inconsistent results. Sometime, it does not need to press reset to boot.

Hi @tommy, the board you have should be a quite regular board and thus should work out of the box with no particular problems.

It is weird that booting from uSD works fine and booting from eMMC does not; you should be more precise in describing the issue and maybe posting the serial log would be much more helpful than the original android output.

8 hours ago, tommy said:

I use this RK3318 for graphic editor such as Gimp / Pinta with digitizer tablet but it is still lagging while drawing. Is there any solution to make it run smooth?

Well these boards and not really designed to do such jobs. Sure there is still room for speed improvement, since at the moment all the rk3318 boards are running with RAM at @330 Mhz, which is rather low, because of a couple of issues that needs to be sorted out yet.

1 hour ago, jock said:

Hi @tommy, the board you have should be a quite regular board and thus should work out of the box with no particular problems.

It is weird that booting from uSD works fine and booting from eMMC does not; you should be more precise in describing the issue and maybe posting the serial log would be much more helpful than the original android output.

Well these boards and not really designed to do such jobs. Sure there is still room for speed improvement, since at the moment all the rk3318 boards are running with RAM at @330 Mhz, which is rather low, because of a couple of issues that needs to be sorted out yet.

I already tried serial log but it prints out anything,completely blank, when it does not boot. It is random freeze when switch between uSD and emmc. I couldn't figure out the root of this problem. May be hardware problem? I will update in the future.

47 minutes ago, tommy said:

I already tried serial log but it prints out anything,completely blank, when it does not boot. It is random freeze when switch between uSD and emmc. I couldn't figure out the root of this problem. May be hardware problem? I will update in the future.

It happens on my board too (HK1 Max, the rounded one) that sometimes, after the board locks-up for some reason, it does not reboot and nothing is printed on the serial.

This happens with android too and I have to power cycle another time the board to let it boot correctly.

An important thing for debugging is that if you try to boot from eMMC, you don't keep the uSD inserted in the slot, otherwise the kernel may decide to use the rootfs from the uSD.

Hey Jock, thanks for your work on this.

I have an RK3328 H96 Max+ with a BCM4334/AP6334 wifi chip (device id 02d0:4334). Your Armbian image supports the wifi chip but LibreELEC doesn't, although LE will boot, run Kodi, connect to HDMI CEC, etc without issue. How much did you have to do to add support?

Hi all, this is my first post here, ciao!

I'm following this 3d from few days coz I'm trying to install armbian on my MX10Pro 4k (4/32) with RK3328 equipped.

I'm stuck with @fabiobassainstructions on my Manjaro shell, where "

rkdeveloptool db my_miniloader.bin

is responding to me with:

Creating comm object failed!

I trying to find some info here by searching,  but still no luck.
What can I try next?

Thank you

@Antoxic
it say this because you didn't specify where is miniloader.bin i suppose

the exact syntax is :

rkdeveloptool db /home/Antoxic/miniloader.bin

assuming that your home is called Antoxic. If not adapt the right names
if you don't specify the path where is miniloader it will say creating comm object failed

Another info : yours is a REAL 3328, this post is mainly on 3318 that is the " poor brother" of 3328
It should work all, but maybe ddr frequencies or other oddities can still appear

thank you guys
@fabiobassayes, I did it of course (even inside or outside directory files) but still getting same error

@jockof course,  with sudo and sudo su command, but same error reported

Seems my rom is locked by hardware stuff, since I can't flash any firmware, custom or stock, android or linux
I tried at least a dozen of different .img
Still surprised I was not able to brick this s*it!... :D

btw, thank you all so much for your help

screenshot of my terminal:
terminal commands

p.s. sorry but I
'm not able to reply over one time per day. I will reply tomorrow, or please send me private messages. I'll report here every good news of my attempts

Thank you guys

@fabiobassa
1) I did it thru pacman with pre-built bin from git-hub repo; but I will try to do it starting from dkms

2) I think everything is ok, but I will check again

3)a Bus 001 Device 009: ID 2207:320c Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Company RK3328 in Mask ROM mode
3)b - without?... 
4) the rear only one, close to spdif jack

@MattWestB
yeah Matt, I only using Linux environment. Please share me your loader, maybe mine is not the right one (although mine is a pure rk3328 not rk3328A)