CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards

jock

On 3/8/2022 at 6:40 PM, jock said:

If the kernel crashes then you have no other way than attach a serial adapter to the board UART to log continously, in the hope the kernel says something before the freeze happens.

@jock Sometimes I got the kernel panic as below.  Do you think this error is related to hardware or armbian kernel?

IMG_5909.thumb.JPG.b9191e119968f694067eefd3a74b8ca8.JPGIMG_5910.thumb.JPG.fd4b24c2fafca2a033b45245197d623f.JPG

46 minutes ago, chinhhut said:

@jock Sometimes I got the kernel panic as below.  Do you think this error is related to hardware or armbian kernel?

No idea. From the "screen shot" (literally :D) it seems to happen right during startup or does it happen during regular runtime too?

9 hours ago, jock said:

No idea. From the "screen shot" (literally :D) it seems to happen right during startup or does it happen during regular runtime too?

Sometimes, I got this error after running the "shutdown now" command. Sometimes, the box shutdown normally using this command. 

During regular runtime or start up, I have not found this error. 

Note: because of the LCD screen resolution so there are some text on the left are missing then you may feel this is starting up state.

I just got this error again today:

IMG_5915.thumb.JPG.94c45a6d3db1e5de7a17828024f46efb.JPG

@chinhhut Ah ok, an error during shutdown... well I never experienced such issue, may be an error in the kernel or in the trust OS which is leading some spurious interrupt after secondary cores are brought down... I'm not able to recognize anything specific from that crash dump, but I may suggest you do add "panic=10" in the kernel command line: this way, when a kernel panic happens, the kernel may still try to reboot after 10 seconds so you don't get stuck.

@chinhhut
home assistant is a great project but at the same time is very hard disk intensive and resource eating. In special mode if you even have motion plug-in or other pugins that extensively use the hard disk and/or internal emmc
And it also coul be a defective emmc since many chinese tvboxes are badly assembled with faulty components

3 minutes ago, fabiobassa said:

@chinhhut
home assistant is a great project but at the same time is very hard disk intensive and resource eating. In special mode if you even have motion plug-in or other pugins that extensively use the hard disk and/or internal emmc
And it also coul be a defective emmc since many chinese tvboxes are badly assembled with faulty components

@fabiobassa Yes. I'm thinking about the defective emmc issue because I have several 3318 boxes and 1 box get this kernel panic issue, an other box get crashed after several hours running, other ones work well over time. 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Clash:

RK3328, 4GB Ram and 64GB Rom

Thank you for picture , i have same box (but without the LCD Clock display)  with exact same chips

on Page one there a list a few box that have the SD card on aux-SDIO port and not on first SDIO port , this also struggle me to boot SD-Card

solve : write direct to emmc with PC and male to male cable --> high risk !

i try to get from android terminal to uboot/maskrom mode but without success , i really want to backup android first

Hi,

I made an image with your CSC and it worked! Thank you very much.

To give something back to the community i decided to share the image.

My box is an MX9 Pro. It was a very bad TV box and now it can be a low powered homeserver.

Here is the link: MX9 Files

Thanks again CSC provider and have a nice day everyone,

Koen

Hey guys, how are snap apps behaving with you? I installed snapd via terminal, then core, snap-store and firefox, but the latter two don't run, at least not with a graphical interface. The only snap app I was able to get working here was Chromium. By the way, this only worked via snap. Is it possible to run, with GUI, Firefox and snap-store by adding something?

Update: oh-oh, I need to download Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_edge_5.14.14_minimal.img.xz, where can I find it?. Chromium, either install via apt or snap, is not working with Armbian 22.02 - Debian Bullseye minimal - mainline kernel 5.15.25 on H96 Max.

Update 2: is GPU acceleration on (Armbian 22.02 - Debian Bullseye minimal)?

Update 3: I found Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_edge_5.14.14_minimal.img.xz file, but the Chromium browser, installed via apt or snap, doesn't work. In a installation I did months ago on another H96 Max it works. I believe that there has been some recent change in the codes of this web browser. For now I installed Falkon, but it is not based on the Chromium project, and Vivaldi (deb file), but this second freezes the system. All other famous web browsers on the market I was not successful. In the case of Chromium, an error appears mentioning that it should be run with --no-sandbox, but it also doesn't work with this addition. There seems to be an error related to graphics or hardware acceleration. I will try to install an old Chromium version: sudo apt -f install chromium=83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u3 chromium-common=83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u3

Update 4: general web browser error: "input/output" in a pop-up. I've installed the system several times, different versions say. As there are no problem reports here on the forum, it may be a problem on my local network.

A new question: would I be able to virtualize the Armbian image from this topic using a PC with a snapdragon 7c processor, install some apps, insert a new default wallpaper, export in IMG and the installation would work normally?

35 minutes ago, Sigma7 said:

A new question: would I be able to virtualize the Armbian image from this topic using a PC with a snapdragon 7c processor, install some apps, insert a new default wallpaper, export in IMG and the installation would work normally?

No. The Snapdragon 7c is different from the RK3318/RK3328. You'd have to find an image for the Snapdragon 7c. 

hi @jock, i was hoping if you build an ubuntu focal image rather than ubuntu jammy, tested your ubuntu jammy it works including bluetooth and wifi but feels heavy in my H96 Max (black PCB), also tested balbes150's ubuntu focal it works smooth (feels lighter) but wifi and bluetooth doesn't work.

6 hours ago, Buqan Kaleng Kaleng said:

hi @jock, i was hoping if you build an ubuntu focal image rather than ubuntu jammy, tested your ubuntu jammy it works including bluetooth and wifi but feels heavy in my H96 Max (black PCB), also tested balbes150's ubuntu focal it works smooth (feels lighter) but wifi and bluetooth doesn't work.

Jammy and Focal should not differ so much. Consider that Jammy is still beta, it will be released officially next week.

If you "feel" Jammy heavier the first thing you should do is to disable window manager compositing.

Notice also that in my builds 3D acceleration is available, and this makes regular desktop slower because of some inefficiencies in the way buffers are handled; disabling 3D acceleration (Setting AccelMethod "none" in xorg.conf) will probably make desktop a bit more responsive, but applications that use GPU can't be accelerated.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:33 PM, jock said:

Minor upgrade!

Not so many fancy things, this time, but those interested in rtl8723cs, rtl8703bs and ssv6051 wifi chips may give a look into!

I upgraded the Debian Bullseye Minimal image (not the others) to kernel 5.15.16 kernel.

Also deb packages have been updated for manual upgrade to avoid system reinstall (instruction on first page, as usual).

@Zippy may be particularly interested in this.

Enjoy and give feedback! ;)

Hey Jock 

good job!!! You saved my tvbox leaning over, due to lack of use and poor quality. Of all the work you did, the only thing I couldn't get to work was the internal wifi whose ssv6051 chip didn't detect even by the installation (Linux rk3318-box 5.15.25-rockchip64 #trunk SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 26 12:28:56 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux) nor via rk3318-config ,sdio. In this post you release minimal bullseye patch for this chip driver. Do you intend to release for armbian (https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk3318/Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_jammy_edge_5.15.23_xfce_desktop.img.xz) ? hugs friend and thanks! *sorry for my brazilian english

TVBOX mx9 pro mini (RK3328,1GBram,8Gemmc,1usb2,1usb3,1msdcard,1lan,1hdmi,1audioan,1wifi)

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/latest-mx9-pro-mini-tv-box-firmware-download-android-nougat-7-1-2/

hi i am new to the forum,can some one help me with wifi drivers for this board is a rk3318 

i use Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_current_5.15.25_minimal.img and

Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_jammy_edge_5.15.23_xfce_desktop.img

both img works exellet except for wifi, detects my wifi  router but when i try to connect has a client, again ask me for password over and over again

hope any one can help me if need any info please ask

thanks

https://postimg.cc/PCL9pChF

@Jesus Davis ssv6051 has no mainline kernel driver, but me and @ilmich arranged some modifications to let the existing driver work for rk322x on mainline kernel; I never had the chance to test it on rk3318, so stay tuned that maybe the next round of releases will contain the driver.

@jcdsr hello. A photo is not sufficient, although that HC-8424C is something I have never seen before; provide logs as described in first post, but most probably such chip is unsupported.

I have new problems with my H96 Max (rk3318):

1. I successfully installed kde-full, it seems to run smoothly, but there are no close, minimize, and maximize icons in the windows. The solution I found out there would be to make changes via decor app, but unity-window-decorator seems unavailable, even for installation. Problem solved! First I installed the kubuntu-desktop package, and then it includes the application to change the window menu, and then I installed kde-full to get all kde apps;
2. Another problem is the snap apps not working. It seems to be missing some graphical connection, as they are installed via Terminal. In this case I installed Chromium, Firefox and Snap Store. Message appears that "cannot change locale", "mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': permission denied", "no protocol specified", "unable to init server" and finally "error: cannot open display: :.0". In the case of Chromium, there is a suggestion to run with --no-sandbox, but the same error messages appear, with "error:ozone_platform_x11.cc(247) Missing X server or $Display" and "The platform failed to initialize. Exiting". For now the only working web browser here is Falkon. Problem solved! Debian: Chromium works; Ubuntu: no! 

I use @jock's great job (Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_edge_5.15.16_minimal) in my H96 Max box.
I would like to clone this content of box to another two H96 boxes.
I do the backup with multitool and then use the restore function on the other with the same tool.
Unfortunately, the result is not what I expect, it doesn't start at first:

Spoiler

h96max_clone.thumb.jpg.3bd7d398be12f52569462bb4791d5ee0.jpg

What to do or write to get started?

@paradigman The error is quite self explanatory: the destination eMMC is smaller than the source eMMC, hence the cloned partition is truncated.

On the destination machine I guess that you should use fdisk to resize the partition an then use resize2fs and/or fsck.ext4 to correct the filesystem size (much more the second one).

You can do that from a bash shell either with multitool or from the intramfs emergency shell.

1 hour ago, jock said:

@paradigman The error is quite self explanatory: the destination eMMC is smaller than the source eMMC, hence the cloned partition is truncated.

On the destination machine I guess that you should use fdisk to resize the partition an then use resize2fs and/or fsck.ext4 to correct the filesystem size (much more the second one).

You can do that from a bash shell either with multitool or from the intramfs emergency shell.

Thank you for your answer. I don't understand how can be bigger the backup than the another disk, because these three box is from one serie. I did try use the initramfs to repartition, but lokks like it not familiar anything command except the fsck.

Are you able to use which web browsers there? Here only Falkon works, but it is surprisingly good. I'm satisfied, but on another installation, also on an H96 Max, but 64 GB, I can use Chromium ^.^ I don't know what's going on, but the input/output error has appeared even when using the default browser.

@paradigmanI think it was because you didn't actually make a backup, but instead created an image of the system. In this case the procedure takes everything, including empty spaces, without files. Hence when you are going to reinsert into another HD/SSD/eMMC the target needs to be at least the exact size, or greater. It is worth mentioning that if the target is a device with higher storage, the system will only recognize the size of the image you created, so you need to use an application to "stretch" the image and fill everything. For example, taking an image of a 32GB device and then installing it on a 64GB device. On Linux AMD64 system I have always used Gparted, but apparently here, on ARM64, it is necessary to use what was mentioned by @jock

Speaking of backup, if anyone can, give me a tip on how to use the Back in Time application on Armbian by responding to this topic. I'd like incremental snapshots of file system to be restored at a later date to undo all changes to the system.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS rk3318-box is up and running nicely with working Docker and HA supervised looks working OK.

Up time is only some hours after install but the prereleases was also working stable so hopefully it shall doing the same.

Great thank devs for making it happening !!!

On 2/12/2022 at 12:49 PM, jock said:

Yes, x88 pro boards have wifi swapped to "external" controller, so on first run it can't be detected.

First rk3318-config run will set a proper dtb to use the external controller. After reboot, you have to run rk3318-config again so the wifi chip can finally be detected and fully configured (bluetooth included) by rk3318-config.

I see from dmesg that the bluetooth driver is still not reading the right firmware file, probably because I missed an "A" in the filename.

Could you please rename /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM43342.hcd to /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM43342A.hcd and try again?

edit: the images on your tutorial seems to be broken, I see the thumbnails but can't open the full size images.

Hi i have also a x88 Pro board, wifi now works i had 5.15.35 from start but no one said the trick of double rk3318-config with the reboot so i found it out only now.

mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/vendor/firmware/bcm4334W.hcd /system/vendor/firmware/bcm43342A.hcd

i found this in xda forum, leading the idea that bcm4334W is compatible with bcm43342A, fixing wifi+bth on android.
I dont know how/where get that .hcd, did you guys tried that already?

Thanks a lot to @jock and @awawa ^^

I have flashed an X88 Pro 10 box and run rk3318-config.  Wifi is identified as BCM4334 correctly and works.  Bluetooth is found but using XFCE 'devices' option, finds none.  I tried a second model (H96 Max) and it behaves the same.  If I plug in a TP Link bluetooth adapter, devices are found and work fine.  Anyone else running into this?

57 minutes ago, MBB said:

I have flashed an X88 Pro 10 box and run rk3318-config.  Wifi is identified as BCM4334 correctly and works.  Bluetooth is found but using XFCE 'devices' option, finds none.  I tried a second model (H96 Max) and it behaves the same.  If I plug in a TP Link bluetooth adapter, devices are found and work fine.  Anyone else running into this?

There is no correlation just a problem in find and activate the right driver, the hw/chip of the usb bth dongle is present in the kernel linux while the internal chip not.
Did you try with console commands?

Did you try to disconnect the usb and still use bth?

12 hours ago, MR01 said:

i found this in xda forum, leading the idea that bcm4334W is compatible with bcm43342A, fixing wifi+bth on android.
I dont know how/where get that .hcd, did you guys tried that already?

I guess that you have the bcm43342 wifi part; dmesg will tell what firmware is actually needed for bluetooth.

It may be that

7 hours ago, MR01 said:

Strange as it can be 1 = OFF and 0 = ON

Probably here the led has the polarity inverted (active low vs. active high) in the device tree.

7 hours ago, MR01 said:

Grazie ancora per tutto quello che fai!! 

Grazie a te, gentilissimo ;)