CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards

jock

@Willy Moto I had time to check the apt issue about being slow... it definitely too slow when it generates the dependencies tree, so a get a bit deep into.

In my case I solved going into /etc/apt/sources.conf.d, renaming of any repository (I suggest box64.conf or nala.conf) with suffix .disabled, run apt update, then enabling back the repository and running again apt update.

Now the dependencies tree is built in a blink of an eye.

3 hours ago, ninh said:

Hi, has anyone tried to install armbian on x96Q box with RK3328?

Thank you.

I have no tv boxes with rk3328; also the marketing name does not really mean what is the board inside.

If you have such a board you can try and select led-conf3 in rk3318-config which currently is the most suitable for rk3328 boards

Hi Guys.

I`m noob in linux, and Im trying to install armbian on my H96Max on RK3318/2GB/16GB/BCM4334/AP6334 board version is 1.4. And the only problem is I can`t connect to Wifi. When I'm trying to do it, I`m get an message: Could not activate connection: Activation failed: Secrets were requested but not provided. Help me please with that.

Thank you in advance.

@Keeper

Sound like a generic no wifi found error to me. Did you run rk3318-config to get wifi running(you need to reboot) ?

You can also check ifconfig for wlan type adapters to see if it detects.

After reboot run "armbian-config" and set access point name and password. You should also be able to bypass the wifi problem with a usb wifi adapter if need be.

I have had success with RTL8812BU based Comfast CF-812AC on 5ghz band but it will not connect to 2.4ghz at all or maybe it does if you disable WPA2.

Another good one I have had very little issues is RTL8811 based "600mbps 2.4GHz+5GHz" although I have never seen it on 5ghz band.

It is a bit of a hit and miss with what wifi usb adapter work on linux and what additional packages you might have to install to get it working.

Цитата

Sound like a generic no wifi found error to me. Did you run rk3318-config to get wifi running(you need to reboot) ?

You can also check ifconfig for wlan type adapters to see if it detects.

After reboot run "armbian-config" and set access point name and password. You should also be able to bypass the wifi problem with a usb wifi adapter if need be.

I have run rk3188-config and armbian-config. Armbian-config detects all of access points and asking for password, but after entering password I see long connection and message:  Activation failed: Secrets were requested but not provided.

So it looks like Armbian detects my wifi adapter.

I know that I should have success with USB wifi adapter, but I hope to run existing one)

My board has sdcard directly connected, Mask ROM mode is working but board can't start multitool from sdcard (black screen).

Can i try something else?

Thank you.

Update: Wrong chip, sorry.

Edited by ninh

happy to report that the official CSC build from github works flawlessly on my rk3318 box that has ap6334. everything seems to be in order, i did have to rename box64 though to fix the slow dependency building, i also have the smartmontools problem on first boot, but not on the second boot, i have not checked succeeding reboot dmesg though since i had to rebuild my klipper environment. running it at 1.3GHz without any problems so far. uses very little resource when printing, 1-5% cpu usage and 14% ram. 2GB ram and 16G EMMC.

I have a little problem on the LIRC topic.
Pretty much everything works fine, but the POWER button on the remote has a life of its own. When I press it, the box stops almost immediately, I don't think it stops properly. I wrote a separate bash script for this button event, so that it stops properly, but that code does not run, something "catches it" before it and handles it. My bash script works anyway, because if I call it from the terminal, it does exactly what it should.

On 8/26/2022 at 9:38 PM, paradigman said:

I have a little problem on the LIRC topic.
Pretty much everything works fine, but the POWER button on the remote has a life of its own. When I press it, the box stops almost immediately, I don't think it stops properly. I wrote a separate bash script for this button event, so that it stops properly, but that code does not run, something "catches it" before it and handles it. My bash script works anyway, because if I call it from the terminal, it does exactly what it should.

LIRC comes after the kernel-based handler. You should investigate ir-keytable instead, that will change the kernel-level key bindings for the remote.

Okay, so I wanted to give a whirl to buster and legacy kernel as to get video acceleration going. Very rough set of commands to mutate minimal command line buster image to a working desktop.
I did get armbian-buster-desktop-cinnamon to display lightdm but cinnamon was crashing as it tried to start. Apparently I kind of messed up something since then and now I just get "(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices" in Xorg.0.log.

```
apt update

apt-cache search desktop
# few broken dependencies
apt install dconf-cli libglib2.0-bin

# the desktop install - this should download about 500MB of packages *when* working correctly
# in case of failure "apt-get remove" or "apt-get --install-recommends remove" or "apt autoremove" and try again
apt-get --install-recommends install armbian-buster-desktop-cinnamon
apt-get --install-recommends install armbian-buster-desktop-xfce

# duplicate files. looks pretty bad actually
apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" install armbian-bsp-cli-renegade

# acceleration
apt install media-buster-legacy-rk3328 --install-recommends

#swap to a legacy kernel by uninstalling current one and installing deb packages built from source
# P.S. booting linux without a installed kernel package can prove to be a quite a challenge so be careful with this one - boot from tf and chroot
apt remove linux-image-current-rockchip64
dpkg --install armbian-firmware-full_22.08.0-trunk_all.deb
dpkg --install linux-image-legacy-rockchip64_22.08.0-trunk_arm64.deb
dpkg --install linux-dtb-legacy-rockchip64_22.08.0-trunk_arm64.deb

```
hdmi not working on later than 5.15.62 kernels is likely caused by kernel folks doing some reworking of drm code related to vblanks.
That would explain why console sometimes works because it does not need vblanks but xorg does so crashes or hangs. https://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org/msg153211.html for instance has some perhaps relevant information.

Unfortunately blinking led is not a reliable indication of whether the system is booting or not because it is not until running rk3318-config that led becomes active.

Hello. I have a problem with connecting to wifi on H96 max tvbox with installed last armbian.

Mark on board RK3318+2+16+2734C D1209 . Board version 1.4 (blue).

On original software image WiFI work fine, but on armbian image wifi not accepts keys and not connect, but view wifi nets.

There is any armbian image that work with this system with 2734C wifi chip?

Thanks @jock @Aapo Tahkola, those pins are really UART 😁

I tried at first, but I didn't realize it was a broken adapter. I bought a new TTL adapter and it works.

---

armbian dailybuild burnd into emmc works well, this is good enough for me.

sdcard boot failed with

RKPARM: Invalid parameter part table
Could not find "misc" partition
avb_ab_flow.c:99: ERROR: Error reading A/B metadata.
avb_ab_flow.c:178: ERROR: I/O error while loading A/B metadata.
Can not load metadata

---

for anyone who also meet this board

android_log.txt

jammy_current_cli_202235_emmc_boot_ok.txt

jammy_current_cli_202235_sdcard_boot_failed.txt

2062543566_Untitled3.thumb.jpg.5d6ecbe086df005ea6e2df5a62c5a002.jpg

Edited by uehqsvbm

10 hours ago, uehqsvbm said:

sdcard boot failed with

armbian does not boot from sdcard with Android bootloader.

It will boot from sdcard once it is installed in emmc, so you can test other armbian images from sdcard without overwriting emmc.

14 часов назад, jock сказал:

Four or five posts above there is the answer:

I try to replace inside of lib/firmware/brcmI/brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.txt from your post on installed armbian and... now i can not see wifi nets and can not load graphical interface after graphical login ;) (something broken)

That is whay i qwestion about precompiled image worked with 2734C without manipulation. (I spand 3 hours for copy one file to another ^) (i am newby))

Hello everyone. I'm new to armbian. I'm testing with the h96max ultra. I'm using the images posted on the first page. Along with multitool.
At first everything seems to be fine. But 2 out of 10 starts fail, the screen stays black and the LED stays red.

I turn it off and on and it is solved. But the problem occurs very often.

is this a known issue?

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-31 at 7.09.10 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-31 at 7.08.46 PM.jpeg

@williamfj I have the same box with 4 RAM and 32 Flash and its very oft not booting OK but i have not looking wot the boot loader is complaining about only re power it and normally its working OK.

The latest strange thing is i running Hyper HDR in the box with one HDMI grabber with integrated splinter and one Zigbee RCP on one FDI USB-TTL adapter for HA with Zigbee and thread boarder router and the FDI was going off line and not reconnecting then re plugging it from USB2 port (no DMESG) and was need one re power for working OK. The HDMI grabber (USB3 port) is normally not working if starting the system with the FDI connected so the USB is one mess on this boxes but working OK if all is being in "sync".

yup, i thought mine was an isolated incident but now i saw 2 more cases. anyway, mine is ok now since i installed the weekly build from github 22.08 v5.15 kernel cli. i set cpu speed to 1.3GHz and ram to 660MHz in rk3318-config, so far it has been stable for days, i have the same box case as @williamfj board version 1.4.

Edited by Seth

Hi. Thank you for the super tutorial in the first post and then the advice in the comments.

I bought a occasionally cheap H96Max with RK3328 for very little money. I immediately wanted to uninstall the firmware Android, which I don't like.

Unfortunately, I hurry up and, installing the Ambrian right away on the internal eMMC memory according to the instructions in the guide. The installation was interrupted. This caused the box to become brick. The multitool wouldn't load from the card, and Ambrian wouldn't load from the internal memory.

I found on the forum (thanks to @enigmasphinx how to contact the two pins, in purpose to start the Multitool. I did this, but the Multitool then does not see the internal memory, which means that I cannot erase the internal memory or upload a new system there. Using the same method, I can install Amrian and boot it from an external SD card. But each time after turning on the computer I have to manually contact these pins again.
Did You have this issue @enigmasphinx?

BTW I cannot make internet connection with success. 

In the system after the

lsblk

command it does not find the internal memory.
Is there any rescue for this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J-X_9Y4jKr8u87lEosGkBmtpwjdxGsFb/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JImmtinhNfkJxE8qCE_0q9afLQHg3sRL/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGB3Ihnp1kKlnuh6fkCftuHMoj0aInjD/view
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-31 at 7.08.46 PM.jpeg

Edited by Krotosz6

@Krotosz6 Hello, indeed you're not seeing the internal memory: as long as the two pins are shorted, the clock of the internal flash is gated to ground: basically it does not receive any clock and that's the reason it is bypassed.

You should short the two pins, turn the board on and then release the pins almost immediately.

So far, even if the image installation has been interrupted, multitool should be able to boot anyway unless you wrote an image for another similar soc or you interrupted it so soon it was not able to write the bootloader.

By the way, once armbian has booted, you should be able to see the internal flash as /dev/mmcblk2, thus blkdiscard /dev/mmcblk2 or dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1M count=32 oflag=direct should both be able to clean the existing bootloader on internal flash to let it boot again; otherwise you can use the multitool to do the same.

@jock Thank you for Your help. I already discovered it myself yesterday, but couldn't make the post before 24 hrs. ;) I disconnected the pins, but tried after turning on and booting from the card to connect the pins again and it showed eMMC. I cleaned it with the help of Multitool. I installed Yours: Armbian_22.05.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_current_5.15.35_minimal.img

My question is what is the difference between Current and Edge versions? And which version of the system do you recommend just for Kodi and Raspotify on autostart (just similar to libre/coreelec)? Should I also install these add-ons from the Upgrade directory?
https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk3318/

and in this tutorial:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-image-edge-rockchip64 linux-dtb-edge-rockchip64
sudo apt update && sudo apt install armbian-config libxcb1

Which should I install? Because your versions are newer than this tutorial.

Edited by Krotosz6

@Krotosz6 Good you discovered it by yourself ;)

current and edge are kernel flavours.

Current is the stable one, which is older but expected to always work. At the moment the current kernel is 5.15.

Edge kernels are experimental/development. They are newer (at the moment 5.19) but can break anytime because they are not guaranteed to work, since they are... experimental!

I don't have anything against tutorials, they are welcome, but the problem with them is that they become obsolete. In fact the apt-mark step is not necessary anymore, since support for rk3318 is now part of mainline armbian.

The best tutorial is described in the first page of this thread, plus it is always kept up to date.

Also images are now compiled and signed by armbian servers too, not anymore by myself - full instructions are again in the first post.

hi guys, I see that this has been merged with mainline now....

so I did an apt update and upgrade and I'm now on kernel 5.19.5 ( i think it did about 35 packages) BUT should I be putting these packages on 'unhold' now to get rid of this message? cheers

------

2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
root@rk3318:~# apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
linux-dtb-current-rockchip64/bullseye 22.05.4 arm64 [upgradable from: 22.05.0-trunk]
linux-image-current-rockchip64/bullseye 22.05.4 arm64 [upgradable from: 22.05.0-trunk]

hello all, I'm new here.

I'm running this Armbian_22.05.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_jammy_current_5.15.35_xfce_desktop.img.xz  from SD card (I also tried the KDE one but was slow and froze) .

It's slower than I thought so I wanted to be sure I've taken all necessary steps:y box is the Beelink A1 4gb ram, fast SD

- Do I need to run rk3318-config or the cpu is set by itself? Also my wifi chip is not listed there   

- I'm using a tp-link usb for wifi as I can't seem to be abl to run onboard chip, rtl8821CU, or maybe I'm missing something? nothing comes up in the "additional drivers" or armbian-config. same for bluetooth. I read some people made it work here I think on balbes distro but I'm not able to compile (can't believe I got so far:)

any help with optimizing this box and wifi please?

I have managed to install Armbian desktop on a RK3328 TV box folowing the instructions on the 1st post.

During the process, I appeared to have managed to 'brick' it as it would not boot/respond in any way.  I couldn't find any activity on a possible serial port.

I read some post on forcing 'maskrom mode' so decided there were 2 pins on the bottom side under the 'FORESEE' chip at bottom right of the board, so shorted them with fine pointed tweezers and powered on, removed the tweezers and got it to read the SD card again and succesfully ran Multitool again (with a correct image!).

Some pics of my TV box, a Droibox, Nano, REVO, on the PCB is marked T9-RK3328-8X4-20180718-v1.5

Hope it's of use to someone.

One question, is possible to get it to run at (upto) full speed of 1.5GHz as it is throttled to 1GHz at the moment.

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

Pins to short are at bottom left

IMG_0411.JPG

Clock pins are below chip at bottom right...

IMG_0418.JPG

Short these two pins and power on, then remove short and wait a little (keep fingers crossed)...

IMG_0414.JPG

For the "Quick installation instructions on eMMC":

Burn the Multitool on an SD card; once done, place the Armbian image in images folder of the SD card FAT partition;

I found after burned the Multitool on SD card, the size of the FAT partition is no more than 2GBytes, but my compilied image is 5GBytes, is there any method to compress the image?

@DavidJS

you SHOULD at least know that FAT has a limitation to maximum 4gb for a single file so the problem isn't the partition but the file itself

Anyway when you insert SD for 1st time without any image inside the fat partition is resized to maximum. Then remove the SD and out the image on it

you can try to compress .GZ the image and see if it Is under 4gb and fit