CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards

jock

7 hours ago, jock said:

About the HDMI, on kernel 5.19 it does not work on both of them or just on the "squared" one?

@jock

the hdmi does not work on both rounded and squared one with 5.19 kernel. date markings are exactly the same "2020/06/29" as well as board version rk3318_v1.4 on both boards. the board version was under the heatsink, i just used my phone's flashlight to see and read the board version. also out of curiousity i opened up my dead tylex v88 mini board and the external crystal is 26MHz and uses a 3R3 inductor, seems the SPxxxx wifi chips all need external crystal and inductors.

@MattWestB i do not know if i2c is used for communication with hdmi but both boards do behave the same, the both have hdmi output on 5.15 and both have no output on 5.19, the components around the hdmi looks exactly the same but i will take better pictures tonight when i get back home from work.

Edited by Seth

On 10/12/2022 at 3:32 AM, Seth said:

the hdmi does not work on both rounded and squared one with 5.19 kernel. date markings are exactly the same "2020/06/29" as well as board version rk3318_v1.4 on both boards. the board version was under the heatsink, i just used my phone's flashlight to see and read the board version. also out of curiousity i opened up my dead tylex v88 mini board and the external crystal is 26MHz and uses a 3R3 inductor, seems the SPxxxx wifi chips all need external crystal and inductors.

This HDMI problem is a shame 😒, it works fine on a rk3318 and a rk3328 tv boxes I have here and can't replicate the problem, as it is even more frustrating because it is a regression from 5.15

On 10/12/2022 at 3:32 AM, Seth said:

i do not know if i2c is used for communication with hdmi but both boards do behave the same

Normally it is the HDMI driver that communicates with the HDMI monitor/TV via I2C, when there is no dedicated i2c bus on the board, the HDMI driver spawns a limited but function i2c bus to retrieve the data from the monitor (namely, the EDID info about resolutions and timing).

It could be interesting tu use i2cdetect -l to see if the HDMI I2C bus is present or not, but I guess the issue is more related to HDMI timings or so.

If you wish, I can provide a special 5.19 kernel package with the some patches from LibreELEC to see if the HDMI works again

My H96Max with PCB RK3328_804_V1.1 (green PCB without LED display = rounded) is no HDMI with edge kernel and with stable OK.

Armbian 22.08.0-trunk Jammy with Linux 5.15.72-rockchip64

root@RK3318-TV-Box:~# i2cdetect -l
i2c-4   i2c             DesignWare HDMI                         I2C adapter

If the EDID info is not working then DMR is not working = no video.

I also get picture reliably at boot up hdmi with testing Kernel 5.19.15 image.  Seems I have messed something up on the buster because Xorg does not start:

https://pastebin.com/p8cRSF5L

But does the debian bullseye image still have U-Boot SPL 2022.04-armbian (Aug 23 2022 - 17:04:26 +0300) with that rather apparent "voltage select" bug?

I get:

[  108.358432]  ff000000.i2s-i2s-hifi: soc_pcm_open() failed (-22)
[  108.361402] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: Only one simultaneous stream supported!
[  108.362178] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.3.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -22

On the Home assistant image

Edited by Aapo Tahkola

@Seth Thanks a lot for testing, it is very useful!

2 hours ago, Aapo Tahkola said:

with that rather apparent "voltage select" bug?

That's not a bug, that's just a message that u-boot is trying to change the voltage for a device that is not there.

It happens, for example, when you have installed it on eMMC and there is nothing in the sdcard slot: u-boot tries to change the voltage of the sdcard but since there is no sdcard it reports an error.

The other error messages about audio things appeared in kernel 5.15 onwards and honestly I don't know what is wrong. All rockchip SOCs (from rk322x up to rk3399) show them, but functionality is not broken in any way.

3 hours ago, jock said:

@Seth Thanks a lot for testing, it is very useful!

@jock

awesome! it worked like a charm, unfortunately i was not able to upload a dmesg log. will upload it tomorrow after i test it on the rounded one too. it runs at 1.3GHz and 76-83 degrees celcius and is very usable as minimal desktop, it even has compositing enabled, with a little bit of active cooling and a better case with more ventilation, it can be nice mini workstation. usb is also stable for both usb2 and usb3, i tested it with usb3 hub and plugged in 4 devices(printer, keyboard, mouse and a usb microscope) and they all worked fine.

11 hours ago, quang said:

muutiltool it fails to load only 17% and stays there

This is not very helpful message. How much time you did wait to say it was blocked?

Did you change the power adapter with something more suitable?

Assuming you were trying to install armbian in the internal eMMC flash, it is very possible that the eMMC is broken.

Also, what is your board? Do you have logs?

Please read the instructions on first post, there is a paragraph with all the informations on how to contribute, they are very helpful to debug.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, jock said:

Well I didn't expect a fully conformant Vulkan driver since hardware is not thought for such API.

I expected something more like this https://github.com/Yours3lf/rpi-vk-driver as long as Videocore IV is way older and limited than Midgard or Bifrost (which, according to Alyssa, has been sawed away from PanVK as well... 😕 )

is there a driver available and usable for the Mali GPU? I miss the hardware acceleration in the desktop versions.

hello. 5.19.15 kernel works both on rounded and square h96 max box v1.4 boards and so far they are both running stable with hdmi display for about 6 hours now. attached are the dmesg logs for both boxes. for the square box, i did a fresh install of @jock's full image and for the rounded one, i have installed the new kernel and dtb. i2cdetect -l needed sudo and the output is the same as @MattWestB's.

dmesg-square.log dmesg-rounded.log

Edited by Seth

23 hours ago, paradigman said:

is there a driver available and usable for the Mali GPU? I miss the hardware acceleration in the desktop versions.

Hardware GPU acceleration is working out of the box on mainline kernel images at least from two years via Lima driver.

Nothing particular is required to set it to work, it just works out of the box.

5 minutes ago, jock said:

Hardware GPU acceleration is working out of the box on mainline kernel images at least from two years via Lima driver.

Nothing particular is required to set it to work, it just works out of the box.

thank you for the reassuring answer. Unfortunately, I have no experience in installing Linux drivers. Can someone explain how I can activate the lima driver?

Just now, paradigman said:

thank you for the reassuring answer. Unfortunately, I have no experience in installing Linux drivers. Can someone explain how I can activate the lima driver?

Out of the box: it means that is already installed and working and you have nothing to do except run you OpenGL/OpenGL ES application to profit.

2 minutes ago, jock said:

Out of the box: it means that is already installed and working and you have nothing to do except run you OpenGL/OpenGL ES application to profit.

really? This is a bit saddening, because now all media applications are lagging and I thought there was a way to speed up browsing and playing YouTube videos.

Just now, paradigman said:

really? This is a bit saddening, because now all media applications are lagging and I thought there was a way to speed up browsing and playing YouTube videos.

GPU is only doing 3D graphics.

Media applications are accelerated by VPU, which is a totally different part of the chip. I think gstreamer is already quite capable of using the v4l2 interface to profit of media acceleration drivers already in mainline kernel (namely hantro and rkvdec for rk3318, both accelerating h.264, vp8, vp9 and hevc, but some codecs still have partial support on rockchip64 armbian branch).

Ffmpeg needs to be built with patches and in a custom way because kernel interface for codecs has been made "stable" very recently (I guess in kernel 5.19).

Also mpv has the capability to use hardware video decoding via v4l2, but still need a custom build because it uses in turn ffmpeg. There is this old thread where I provided a custom build binary of mpv, but it was for ubuntu hirsute and debian bullseye; surely it would require some adaptations and tinker if you want to run on newer distros.

Accelarerating youtube in a browser is a whole different story. I don't know what is the current status (maybe @usual user has some clues?), but surely it is much more challenging than standalone video playing.

43 minutes ago, jock said:

kernel interface for codecs has been made "stable" very recently (I guess in kernel 5.19).

Even better, 6.1.0.

45 minutes ago, jock said:

I don't know what is the current status

Browsers that are using the qt5-qtwebengine backend in a wayland environment (e.g. Falkon) are working flawless. The Qt Multimedia module uses the gstreamer framework and wayland uses proper KMS/DRM support.

hello everyone. i just got an hk1 max with yx_rk3328-v1.0 board and tested it with 5.15 kernel and 5.19 images. HDMI works great on 5.15 out of the box, 5.19 on the other hand has no hdmi display. kernel 5.19 with the libreelec patch has hdmi display out of the box.

Edited by Seth

3 hours ago, Seth said:

hello everyone. i just got an hk1 max with yx_rk3328-v1.0 board and tested it with 5.15 kernel and 5.19 images. HDMI works great on 5.15 out of the box, 5.19 on the other hand has no hdmi display. kernel 5.19 with the libreelec patch has hdmi display out of the box.

Mmmh, that's rather strange, probably is not something related to the board itself but to the monitor, because I have exactly that board and it works fine on my full-hd monitor even on 5.19 without LE patches.

However the LE patches introduce several fixes to timings and HDMI subsystem that it is very expected that compatibility is better all-around. What kind of monitor do you have?

On 10/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, usual user said:

Browsers that are using the qt5-qtwebengine backend in a wayland environment (e.g. Falkon) are working flawless. The Qt Multimedia module uses the gstreamer framework and wayland uses proper KMS/DRM support.

Do you know if it is sufficient to install packaged falkon, qt and gstream packages on Ubuntu Jammy/Debian bullseye to get thing working or there is the need to compile something by hand?

I ask because it would be nice to have some out-of-the-box solution to say that the path is traced and things are getting squared.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, jock said:

Mmmh, that's rather strange, probably is not something related to the board itself but to the monitor

very strange indeed. i was testing it on a uhd 55" samsung tv that has not been updated for about 2 years, it is plugged in to hdmi ARC port, so that maybe the source of my confusion too. the reason why i bought the same board as yours is to see if they would all behave the same way and indeed they have. i really need to start learning how to compile the kernel for these boxes, i do have experience compiling kernels for linux desktop and server but that was way back when 2.6 was bleeding edge.. :)

dmesg-rk3328yx.log

Edited by Seth
typos

I have two acer ips displays that are about 8 years old(and still going strong!) with dvi-d only input so I have been using hdmi to dvi-d adapter and DP to dvi-d it always gets the resolution right on nvidia and intel graphics drivers. However orangepi pc does not work with these displays nor does rk3318. I get "(II) modeset(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz e)" which is not correct modeline for this monitor. To me this just tells that the desktop gpu drivers have better compatibility and maturity than these SOCs like rk3318. Also the 1080p projector by vankyo has slightly questionable HDMI receiver on it so it is not exactly surprising that there are issues with it. It shows up as "MStar Demo" in EDID. Best just to use LE patches and leave it at that.

Edited by Aapo Tahkola

9 hours ago, jock said:

Do you know if it is sufficient to install packaged falkon, qt and gstream packages on Ubuntu Jammy/Debian bullseye to get thing working or there is the need to compile something by hand?

When I am asked about Debian and its derivatives, I usually jokingly answer "IMHO Debian is stable ... outdated". I say this because Debian targets x86 as the main architecture. Because the x86 architecture has been feature complete for decades, you can also use older stable program releases with full functionality and it takes time till new releases trickle in. But we play with the ARM architecture and there the development is still at the  bleeding edge. Program releases can therefore not be up-to-date enough,  and usually still require pending patches. Fedora is tracking mainline  quite close.
To check what the current status is, I recently conducted a small experiment. My current system is based on fedora FC34 and is due to WIP patches and current release versions on a well-functioning state. Many of the components I added manually have recently landed in recent mainline versions. I have now copied a rootfs with the content from the upcoming fedora FC37 KDE Plasma Desktop Spin into a free partition of my NVME and added my current kernel build. After I also added a boot stanza to the extlinux.conf to start this new system, I restarted my device. After the obligatory first start configuration, I then had an equally functioning system as with my old FC34 but without further modifications to any userspace component.
Hence my claim: with current pure mainline userspace releases you can have out-of-the-box support.
Unfortunately, I can't say to what extent this experience can be transferred to Debian and its derivatives. It depends on the releases it currently carries.
The firmware and kernel will still need some out of tree components for a while, but this is easy to handle. And I am sure that one or the other userspace program sooner or later will also be rebuilt with some patches for early adaptation of new features. Development will never end.

Hello @SteeMan thanks for that, Yes I follow all the instructions of the first post and the build is Armbian_22.11.0-trunk_RK3318-box_jammy_current_5.15.74.

I use normally my box with armbian all day but many hours after it goes down

Image error:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BZSaCWxBwuNmdvny79BzVKBQkYjspw30/view?usp=drivesdk

thanks in advance.

• SteeMan changed the title to CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards
  • SteeMan pinned this topic
On 10/22/2022 at 12:50 AM, FatalWorld said:

Please help me, I'm a beginner I installed armbian on tv box rk3318 however after hours my box is down.

please indicate box type and board version, if posible attach top and bottom images of the board.