ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

Hi all, sorry for Armbian newbie question...

I am on  Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_desktop_20161028 and I am impressed ! Now there is 20161030.

How does one upgrade? Will one automatically upgrade from CLI using appropriate apt-get commands or from GUI using Synaptic Package Manager?  And/or does one need to add any additional apt sources lists in etc? Also, is there a command that will tell the armbian version in such detail? /etc/armbian-release mentions VERSION=5.24 but no date.

Thanks

FYI:

I believe I ran into the ubuntu 2nd boot xfce black screen colors issue. Starting X for root on other virtual terminal did not fix colors.

I have uninstalled xfce and nodm and installed lxqt and openbox. I start X manually for non root user now. Screen colors again are good. Ideally I would want lxqt to start from lightdm, but I cannot get it to work (yet). I think lxqt is a good DE for this box.

update:

I use my box mainly for watching/listening to live dvb-t TV/Rdio with LE, and I strongly consider buying another one for further experimenting. Any suggestions for a good s905 or s905x box? I am very happy with my s905 MiniMX-G, but, I do no longer spot it for sale, so: is the s905x MiniMX II a good box? It has roughly same specs (but only 100Mbps ethernet). I am willing to pay a bit more for a good box with good specs, and developer support.

Please download needed files http://myiot.bot.nu:22001/s905.tar.gz

Thanks vcka~~~

I tested it last weekend.

Mali drm works and X11 works more fast.

But Ethernet(internal) not work on S905X, so I had to use usb lan card.

I can't load mali_drm.ko in balbes150 img.

It only works on vcka's zImage.

Can you share the method for everyone?

And UMP not work.

Mali DRM and UMP should work for running kodi.

Thanks a lot...

hmm, why in boot folder only have zImage? afaik, to boot the system need s905_autoscript, Image (vmlinuz) and uInitrd.

where i can find the BOOT Partition files ? like s905_autoscript, vmlinuz (Image) and uInitrd ?

These files are for balbes image. I only recompiled kernel and added dtb.img for s905 not s905x!!! The rootfs is from balbes. Add only those files i uploaded and thats all. Oh and i recompiled xorg drivers.

These files are for balbes image. I only recompiled kernel and added dtb.img for s905 not s905x!!! The rootfs is from balbes. Add only those files i uploaded and thats all. Oh and i recompiled xorg drivers.

which images ? Armbian Debian Jessie Desktop (Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_desktop_20161030.img.xz)?

or Armbian Debian Jessie without Desktop ( Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_20161030.img.xz ) ?

so i can just using zImage and it will boot... i ask this, because when i compile the kernel, and make install, i will get vmlinuz and uInitrd , you can see my files here http://www.mediafire.com/file/8bhstr16l8cynwd/Odroid+C2+Ubuntu+Mate+Kernel+-+3.14.79.tar.xz , i compressed all files needed in the BOOT Partition and ROOTFS Partition.

Thanks again,

I'am still in the middle downloading Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_desktop_20161030.img.xz

which images ? Armbian Debian Jessie Desktop (Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_desktop_20161030.img.xz)?

or Armbian Debian Jessie without Desktop ( Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_20161030.img.xz ) ?

so i can just using zImage and it will boot... i ask this, because when i compile the kernel, and make install, i will get vmlinuz and uInitrd , you can see my files here http://www.mediafire.com/file/8bhstr16l8cynwd/Odroid+C2+Ubuntu+Mate+Kernel+-+3.14.79.tar.xz , i compressed all files needed in the BOOT Partition and ROOTFS Partition.

Thanks again,

I'am still in the middle downloading Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_desktop_20161030.img.xz

No its 5.21 xenial ubuntu. Kernel 3.14.29.

You can provide a configuration in which make ?

I found the reason for the bad behavior of desktop latest desktop images. As a temporary solution - to disable the use of the package nodm to start the graphics. To do this, open the configuration file /etc/default/nodm and replace in the first line the value "true" to "false" . To run charts - after starting the system to enter the console username and password, after login give the command "startx". This method can be used on all previous images, where after starting the graphics screen becomes too dark.

Along the way, found that the system normally displays the color mode 32 and 24 (no previous problems when in 32 bit color desktop became very dark).

More good news, checked now in Ubuntu playback of normal video. If you do not change the scale of the image is reproduced smoothly. Debian - this video clip is playable slides. Although the sound is played correctly.

Edited by balbes150

Updated desktop images. Removed from the composition package "nodm". The order of use without package nodm. After creating a new user, exit from the root user (exit command, or you can reboot with reboot command) and authorization on behalf of the new user. After login give startx.

Updated desktop images. Removed from the composition package "nodm". The order of use without package nodm. After creating a new user, exit from the root user (exit command, or you can reboot with reboot command) and authorization on behalf of the new user. After login give startx.

what the difference betwen "Armbian_5.24_Vegas95_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.79_desktop_20161103.img.xz" and "Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20161103.img.xz"

i have Mini M8S with S905, which one i should download?

Edit:

Nevermind, i download Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20161103.img.xz , because i want to know the smoothness of Video playback you mentioned in post number #251 above

Images 79 based on the kernel from Hardkernel. Images 29 based on the kernel from Amlogic (the same core used in the LE). By the way, I checked Ubuntu the behavior of the program "mpv" (this program is used by default for multimedia playback), video can be scaled. I repeat, just in case, download the new images not sure if the uninstall package "nodm" , the system begins to work normally in previous images. In the last images 29 updated the startup scripts of the system, they can be download separately (version v5) from my GIT and replace the FAT partition.

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905/tree/master/script/S905_ARMBIAN

Images 79 based on the kernel from Hardkernel. Images 29 based on the kernel from Amlogic (the same core used in the LE). By the way, I checked Ubuntu the behavior of the program "mpv" (this program is used by default for multimedia playback), video can be scaled. I repeat, just in case, download the new images not sure if the uninstall package "nodm" , the system begins to work normally in previous images. In the last images 29 updated the startup scripts of the system, they can be download separately (version v5) from my GIT and replace the FAT partition.

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905/tree/master/script/S905_ARMBIAN

Thanks for the info.

I have tried mpv with vo=x11 in my current ubuntu mate, i can scale and full screen, but its make video playback slower, but with default window it smooth just like VLC.

What about c2play, can you make it work with your Armbian ?

Nice work!

To finish sshd setup and make it available, one can do (as root):

# dpkg --configure --pending

The 29 kernel from LE has some more modules, for example, to make some dvb-t sticks work.

I could upgrade via console (do-release-upgrade) to yakkety

root@amlogic-s905x:~# cat /etc/armbian-release
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=amlogic-s905x
BOARD_NAME="Amlogic S905X"
VERSION=5.24
LINUXFAMILY=amlogics905x
BRANCH=default
ARCH=arm64

root@amlogic-s905x:~# lsb_release --all
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.10
Release:        16.10
Codename:       yakkety

So consulted ubuntu arm repositories seem decent at first sight for application support ... I guess what is further needed is to focus on future kernel/modules and X support. I must admit: mvp on a particular h264 file blocked (and needed reboot), but, mp3 files play fine though. I may have broken something on the go :-) I think one can conclude that there is working arm support from ubuntu.

post-3676-0-71042400-1478307052_thumb.jpg

Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20161103.img

It runs 720p video, but system hanged after 2~3 video playback.

syslog :

Nov  5 17:02:45 localhost kernel: [ 3539.565862@0] aml_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback enable
Nov  5 17:03:29 localhost kernel: [ 3580.955377@0] Bad mode in Synchronous Abort handler detected, code 0x86000005
Nov  5 17:03:29 localhost kernel: [ 3580.956865@0] CPU: 0 PID: 4677 Comm: kworker/0:1 Not tainted 3.14.29-amlogics905x-ge7c99ec-dirty #35
Nov  5 17:03:29 localhost kernel: [ 3580.965929@0] Workqueue: events_freezable thermal_zone_device_check
Nov  5 17:03:29 localhost kernel: [ 3580.972127@0] task: ffffffc061267000 ti: ffffffc062dcc000 task.ti: ffffffc062dcc000
Nov  5 17:03:29 localhost kernel: [ 3580.979719@0] PC is at 0x0
Nov  5 17:03:29 localhost kernel: [ 3580.982394@0] LR is at gpufreq_get_requested_power+0x4c/0xb0

I could upgrade via console (do-release-upgrade) to yakkety

root@amlogic-s905x:~# cat /etc/armbian-release
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=amlogic-s905x
BOARD_NAME="Amlogic S905X"
VERSION=5.24
LINUXFAMILY=amlogics905x
BRANCH=default
ARCH=arm64

root@amlogic-s905x:~# lsb_release --all
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.10
Release:        16.10
Codename:       yakkety

So consulted ubuntu arm repositories seem decent at first sight for application support ... I guess what is further needed is to focus on future kernel/modules and X support. I must admit: mvp on a particular h264 file blocked (and needed reboot), but, mp3 files play fine though. I may have broken something on the go :-) I think one can conclude that there is working arm support from ubuntu.

1. With system update you need to be careful. Yet in the current version of the system is not debugged process secure updates. When you upgrade can be rewritten in a standard boot loader u-boot version which is on SD card. After that, the TV box will become a brick. You will need to restore the boot loader.

2. Currently, video support is early alpha for the overall test. Of course there are many not completed and not working as it should. To compare the results of debug and send me the link or the video file on which the system hangs.

Nov  5 17:03:29 localhost kernel: [ 3580.965929@0] Workqueue: events_freezable thermal_zone_device_check

Maybe it's overheating, because video processing is yet to fall on the shoulders of the processor unit (not working hardware acceleration and decoding).

1. With system update you need to be careful. Yet in the current version of the system is not debugged process secure updates. When you upgrade can be rewritten in a standard boot loader u-boot version which is on SD card. After that, the TV box will become a brick. You will need to restore the boot loader.

[...]

Thanks a lot for the serious warning about bricking. I certainly do not want to recommend to do system upgrade, but, myself, I was curious to know if it would work. Oh well, I must have been very lucky, since the box is not bricked. It still boots Android.

Thanks a lot for the serious warning about bricking. I certainly do not want to recommend to do system upgrade, but, myself, I was curious to know if it would work. Oh well, I must have been very lucky, since the box is not bricked. It still boots Android.

Last month, I have been Un Brick my TV Box, after i apply the sofware update notification, it make the TV Box only show Blank Black.... and its make me panic....

I never do Sofware Update anymore, and disable or cancel it when the notification is showed.

for now, if the current system or software doesn't have problem, i will not update it.

Thanks for letting us know by confirming software update can brick and hence be fatal.

your welcome.

Just for info, In this forum thread, in earler post, someone already mentioned, he have been bricked because u-boot odroid c2 deb package update.

for my case, because mali fbdev odroid c2 deb package update.

please help install debian on SCISHION V88 PRO

1. update u-boot with balbes150's aml_autoscript.zip( 0.6 version)

2. boot with sdcard which was installed latest debian img.

H/W acceleration isn't working properly.

balbes is working on it.

As I understand it, V88 based on RK3229 is arm7. Image from Amlogic not to fit. You need to try variations to rockchip. I think You have to rebuild the system for Your chip. You can try to adapt something from these works.

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=512278

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rk3188-devices/606759-just-realized-an-ubuntu-server-14-04-on-a-minix-neo-x7-rk3188

http://www.armbian.com/download/

Hi Balbes150,

First of all thanks for your work.

I got your latest armbian image running on SD on a Tanix TX3 Pro (S905X). I did the universal update u_boot first succesfully.
Now, i want to install the armbian on eMMC using the nand-sata-install commando; but i got this error right away.

Error: Could not stat device /dev/mmcblk1 - No such file or directory.

It seems the eMMC is not visible.

Is there anything i can do?