ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

@pulpoff

What version of the images You tried to run ? Have you tried to start the system without manually copying the dtb (without the file "dtb.img") ? You have tried to use as a USB flash drive ?

sure, tried both usb and microsd without changing anything, many recent images desktop and not, ubuntu and debian, all get stuck on boot.

@balbes150 What happened to `zram` support in the 3.14.79 kernel from VegaS95 20170125? It seems to be compiled in instead built as a module, and doing the following doesn't work for me:

# echo 1 > /sys/block/zram0/reset            // OK
# echo 4096M > /sys/block/zram0/disksize     // bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

Any ideas? Other images work fine via the zram kernel module.

edit:

Missed the kernel message:

zram: Cannot initialise lz4 compressing backend

and the only way to make it work is to change back to lzo first, etc. Definitely not right!

#  echo lzo > /sys/block/zram0/comp_algorithm

@jan.pal ,hello I'm a newbie and probably asking silly questions. I have the same x96 tv box as You and I can not boot ubuntu image.Can You please explain what do I need to do to boot linux on this board?

sorry.. i am not here often and I dont like the ubuntu much but anyway, i have used the toothpick method. 

1) download the image

2) burn to usb key ( i have used sd card wuth adapter)

3) put the key into white usb slot

4) there is a button inside AV conector press and hold the button

5) power on device and wait few seconds, x96 logo will appear, keep holding the button, logo blinks once or twice and you will realize that initial animation did not start

6) release the button

7) wait armbian to boot

What version of the bootloader in the firmware ? Most likely, without connecting the console UART, it will be difficult to understand what is the problem with the launch.

I don't have the UART console unfortunately, is there a way to make ubuntu image based on same kernel and bootup process as the working libreelec ?

I'd be happy with libreelec if I could use apt and write files into partition, but without its quite useless as a mini-server..

Surely I'm not the only 1GB/8GB version owner, anyone had success booting ubuntu/debian ?

I don't have the UART console unfortunately, is there a way to make ubuntu image based on same kernel and bootup process as the working libreelec ?

I'd be happy with libreelec if I could use apt and write files into partition, but without its quite useless as a mini-server..

Surely I'm not the only 1GB/8GB version owner, anyone had success booting ubuntu/debian ?

1. To create an image on the basis of the LE with the usual root system possible.

2. Add to LE "apt" (package Manager) - fast does not work,  need to make many changes. The result is not predictable

3. Start Armbian without a console UART - possible. Need additional manual work.

info

I checked the image @ 16Gb SanDisk mSD card

S9xxx_4G_ICEWM_MATE_XFCE_LXDE_LXQT_20170129.img.xz

Mini M8SII   S905x  

after apt-get update , apt-get upgrade worked WiFi  - broken , wired - working 

Video Test - hung with a repeating sound

parted,gparted,fdisk cannot recognized mmcblk1 built-in flash

but the system works ok, poweroff and reboot commands is working  well

Tomato developer board vim 1.2 s905x  2G/16G

WiFi,BT - not working ,  before&after update\upgrade

parted,gparted,fdisk cannot recognized mmcblk1 built-in flash

but the system works ok, poweroff and reboot commands is working  well

Thanks for the great work !!!

In the internal memory table partitions and standard partitions. It uses mtd. parted,gparted,fdisk is not able to work with mtd partitions.

For full screen video playback - these images are not ready.

Updated images Armbian (20170220). In the images only correct past mistakes (fix the state before the merge with main branch lib).

Tested compressed backups today in x96 boxes, and backup and restore works as expected.

This is the box tested ( 2 of them )

Android-6.0-Marshmallow-Amlogic-S905X-TV

Checked backups and restore ( with compression). On i7pro working correctly. On Vega S95 making the copy went OK, after the restore, the system does not start. Maybe it's a peculiarity of my specific instance TV box (internal memory). The script liked it. I recommend to use, but you need to be alert to possible nuances for a particular piece of hardware. There is a proposal - to change the color scheme. When using the system in a graphical environment MATE (the terminal has a white background) difficult to read yellow writing on it.

@balbes150

Thanks for the info.

Can you try at some point the "problematic" box with uncompressed backup and restore?

I never use the "modern" stock terminal colors ( say white background ), but i'll try to change

the colors used in the script to something more "universal" in the next version.

Balbes, this image, is it server or desktop https://yadi.sk/d/Dh6f7xp13EHoP6 ?

I see you were mentioning it's Debian, but the name is Ubuntu Xenial, i know Ubuntu is based on Debian.

Is there maybe a newer image for Khadas?

There are two options server and desktop. This is a test images collected using the kernel source from Khadas. These images are intended only to verify control-temperature control for different TV boxes. They are not suitable for normal use.

@balbes150

Thanks for the info.

Can you try at some point the "problematic" box with uncompressed backup and restore?

I never use the "modern" stock terminal colors ( say white background ), but i'll try to change

the colors used in the script to something more "universal" in the next version.

I'll try to check when I get the chance.

Twice hunging qemu-system-common 1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.8  during updating process

to repair  the system : SD card connected to the desktop, and deleted all files of qemu

Cannot boot  from mSD 64Gb .

Is it normal ?

What image do you use ?

Not all SD cards can run via built-in card reader.

A question to all. Please test the monitor (seeing double) in images of Debian (xfce or server). If the output is to double, please check the behavior of the monitor after replacing the file /bin/fbset on file from the Test directory.

I try install Ubuntu (Armbian_5.24_S9xxx_mate_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20170220.img) into internal memory (eMMC) by run script : /root/install.sh but script install finish ("Complete copy OS to eMMC parted DATA")

See file error: http://pastebin.com/pS17yR01

and picture: http://imgur.com/a/hJctQ

I think have problem with kernel when i finished copy ubuntu into /dev/data

Pls fix this error! Thank alot

This version will NOT install to the internal memory automatically (using a script install.sh).

Uboot ready update load os from /dev/data.
initargs=root=/dev/data rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mac=${mac}

Copy ubuntu done and "Writing kernel image..." dd if="boot.img" of="/dev/boot" bs=64K status=none && sync

Pls see file error: http://pastebin.com/pS17yR01

greetings all

I'm new to the forum and have been tinkering with balbes' .imgs on my nexbox with the s905x chip and wanted to say thanks to all the devs. Also I like to tinker and test and break my systems... so I'm offering to test new imgs apps etc on my nexbox and report findings BTW following a samsung guide iv managed to overclock it and after I mod it with a cooling system. I believe its got potential...

N E Wayz thanks and can someone point me to nightly testing.

Astr4y4L

greetings all

I'm new to the forum and have been tinkering with balbes' .imgs on my nexbox with the s905x chip and wanted to say thanks to all the devs. Also I like to tinker and test and break my systems... so I'm offering to test new imgs apps etc on my nexbox and report findings BTW following a samsung guide iv managed to overclock it and after I mod it with a cooling system. I believe its got potential...

N E Wayz thanks and can someone point me to nightly testing.

Astr4y4L

Wellcome.

I can help you test with your cooling system if you send to me your design cooling system. 

If you need to test large numbers, I can use more two hundred to test the mainboard s905x.

But... who can help me run Debian/Ubuntu on eMMC.

initargs=root=/dev/data rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mac=${mac}

Copy ubuntu done and "Writing kernel image..." dd if="boot.img" of="/dev/boot" bs=64K status=none && sync

balbes150 

He talked: need rebuild the INITRAMFS (with support for running from internal memory). but i dont know option, and module support internal memory.

-----

I think need build with aml_util and aml_nftl_dev with kernel

Who can help me rebuild the INITRAMFS?

Wellcome.

I can help you test with your cooling system if you send to me your design cooling system. 

If you need to test large numbers, I can use more two hundred to test the mainboard s905x.

But... who can help me run Debian/Ubuntu on eMMC.

Copy ubuntu done and "Writing kernel image..." dd if="boot.img" of="/dev/boot" bs=64K status=none && sync

balbes150 

He talked: need rebuild the INITRAMFS (with support for running from internal memory). but i dont know option, and module support internal memory.

-----

I think need build with aml_util and aml_nftl_dev with kernel

Who can help me rebuild the INITRAMFS?

Show the output of "df -h". Judging by the picture, the system failed to copy itself to the eMMC. If You are using the desktop version of the image - before installing deinstalirate of the packages. Or use the dtb file with the changed partition table mtd.

Hi guys !

I have a "Nexbox A95X 2GB DDR3 RAM 8GB eMMC ROM" and I'm trying to install Java on Armbian (debian) image from this forum by this tutorial: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html

It's a problem on stage:

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

This package depends on "java-common" whitch not yet been created ?

Does anybody install java8/9 on Armbian for Amlogic S905X ?

Java8 with Debian version 20170222 works fine. Thanks.

But OpenHAB package drops with error while package installation "sudo apt-get install openhab2" without diagnostics. Something wrong. My be because of some errors during "sudo apt-get update" command.