ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

2 hours ago, xXx said:

@everyone

Has anyone managed to successfuly install ubuntu mate to internal EMMC in MiniM8S (not II) ???

If yes, how?

I have Mini M8S with S905, but i still waiting for this Armbian to capable of playing Video smooth and a stable Firefox.
Right now i still using Odroid C2 Ubuntu Mate 16.04 but at SD Card.
btw, i have been brick my MiniM8S but i never know if there a method to pin short , i just use SD Card with spesial image.
can you show me the link how to do the pin shot method, just for my reference if i bricked again in the future.

Tnx for answer.

I know that apt-get work ok, i just dont know find this - on my tronsmart airmouse.

Other keyboard have old jack, no usb...

For video, I have libreelec, and look for some option that change android, becouse android is touchscreen os.

Something like normal ubuntu, on a normal pc, (with kodi, libre ofice, vlc, firefox, and something like paint) .

I yust dont wanna buy a new pc...

And 32" is a great monitor for me...;)This armbian is very good, in solution, when, kodi and video work corect.

Can we hope in a future, stable kodi and video, on armbian?

Better find something other, for egsample, ubuntu for khadas vim?

Sory for english, i am croat.

@balbes150

i'm testing your Armbian_5.26_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20170302.img image on my nexbox a95x (s905)

i'm using the gxbb_p200.dtb

it boots fine, everything looks okay but for some reason i can't get anything from the ethernet port, wlan0 was up and iwlist scanning is ok but i disabled it as i'm not using wifi.

eth0 link is up, but dhcp won't work, my /etc/network/interfaces is set up and used at boot (i removed networking.manager)

it's probably some xenial configuration i don't know about or missed but i'm wondering if it could be something wrong with that dtb file, i will test other dtbs later, but i'd like to use my original box dtb. 

I know you have to rebuild the dts file against the new kernel version but i can't try to do that at the moment.

So i'd like to know if you could do it for me and which files you'd need (i think i have the boot block from android, the extracted dtb and decompiled dts, from previous experiments)

thx

-- edit --

networking works with gxbb_p201.dtb

Edited by mdel

1 hour ago, etona said:

Tnx for answer.

I know that apt-get work ok, i just dont know find this - on my tronsmart airmouse.

For video, I have libreelec, and look for some option that change android, becouse android is touchscreen os.

Something like normal ubuntu, on a normal pc, (with kodi, libre ofice, vlc, firefox, and something like paint) .

I yust dont wanna buy a new pc...

And 32" is a great monitor for me...;)This armbian is very good, in solution, when, kodi and video work corect.

Can we hope in a future, stable kodi and video, on armbian?

Better find something other, for egsample, ubuntu for khadas vim?

Sory for english, i am croat.

i dont know about air mouse, but you can setup the keyboard in /etc/default/keyboard
perhaps, you need to find the correct setting in there.

perhaps, if the airmouse worked in libreelec, you can find the keyboard setup from libreelec and copy it to Armbian.
CMIIW.

I Use My Android TV Box Mini M8S with my 32" Samsung TV, i use it for everyday use, like browsing and watch video with vlc, althoug i cannot make it full screen.
it have kodi, and it can go to Fullscreen, but not stable.... i try to play Doreamon Movie after playing for around 1 hour, it make the Kodi crash but the Video still playing, and after kodi crash i cannot control it, i have to wait until the video finished to go back to desktop.... 

sory for my bad english too.... this not my native language...

@sukanime

First of all, thanks for your answer.

MiniM8S with balbes150 ubuntu mate images runs very stable. I'm using it for my everyday work, and never had a problem for about 3 months now.

Video playback is not very pleasant, but for my needs are OK. I don't watch many videos, and when i do, i can live mpv's somewhat poor performance.

A 3.5 WATT desktop is what i wanted, and for this, i can forgive some performance issues.

Now about the pin shorting method you will need:

1) The original ANDROID firmware for the box

2) A USB MALE to USB MALE cable of good quality.

3) A thick needle or some other metallic object.

4) USB image writer tool from manufacturer.

5) You need to open the box to gain access to AmLogic chip's pins.

This method is not easy, and is dangerous too. You need this method only if you have really bricked the device.

If the device can still boot from USB or SDCARD there is NO NEED for this method.

Some info can be found here and a video here

For many people the pin shorting is not needed, if windows sees the box when you connect it via the USB cable.

Then you only need AmLogic USB Burning tool, firmware, and a Windows machine.

Unfortunatelly for me, that never was the case. I always have to short pin 18 and 19 ( if i remember correctly )

for windows to idendify the tvbox when connected to USB, and play the "magic" sound.

@mdel

I tried 4.10 (own built from default config) but it would not show anything on HDMI screen. In gentoo arm64 forum someone says mainline kernel support for normal usage may come with 4.12 ... Not sure what other people experiences are.

54 minutes ago, xXx said:

@sukanime

First of all, thanks for your answer.

MiniM8S with balbes150 ubuntu mate images runs very stable. I'm using it for my everyday work, and never had a problem for about 3 months now.

Video playback is not very pleasant, but for my needs are OK. I don't watch many videos, and when i do, i can live mpv's somewhat poor performance.

A 3.5 WATT desktop is what i wanted, and for this, i can forgive some performance issues.

Now about the pin shorting method you will need:

1) The original ANDROID firmware for the box

2) A USB MALE to USB MALE cable of good quality.

3) A thick needle or some other metallic object.

4) USB image writer tool from manufacturer.

5) You need to open the box to gain access to AmLogic chip's pins.

This method is not easy, and is dangerous too. You need this method only if you have really bricked the device.

If the device can still boot from USB or SDCARD there is NO NEED for this method.

Some info can be found here and a video here

For many people the pin shorting is not needed, if windows sees the box when you connect it via the USB cable.

Then you only need AmLogic USB Burning tool, firmware, and a Windows machine.

Unfortunatelly for me, that never was the case. I always have to short pin 18 and 19 ( if i remember correctly )

for windows to idendify the tvbox when connected to USB, and play the "magic" sound.

I use Ubuntu Odroid C2 based from Koxx , i just recompile kernel to add Sound and Wifi support, i have run it for around 3 month too... it's very stable except when using Kodi.
Low Power to save electricity bill is my first consent, because i use it for downloading youtube with app called youtube-dl so its run 24 hour,  its make realy nice to have this Mini M8S.
some times i do Picture Editing with Gimp and Inkscape... but just small picture... because it use alot of RAM.
i hope in the future there will be a cheaps Android TV (as cheaps MiniM8S) thats can run Ubuntu and have 4GB RAM, so i can use it for editing Bigger Picture with Gimp and Inkscape .

OMG, thats tutorial..... its not for me, i dont want to open the Box and i dont have Windows Os, i dont have the money to buy it, and i already fall in love with Gnu/Linux.
You right, but thanks i will bookmark it.
Perhaps there will be the time i need it.
The method i use is this tutorial http://www.stane1983.com/index.php/2014/02/22/how-to-create-amlogic-recovery-sd-card-from-linux/

Thanks a lot... ^_^

1 hour ago, Nofan Tasi said:

@mdel

I tried 4.10 (own built from default config) but it would not show anything on HDMI screen. In gentoo arm64 forum someone says mainline kernel support for normal usage may come with 4.12 ... Not sure what other people experiences are.

okay thx,

have you shared that kernel build online ?

having watched baylibre's conference on amlogic mainline support, i believe he did mention that hdmi support had not been submitted yet :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYvTatdgS_0&index=83&list=PLbzoR-pLrL6pSlkQDW7RpnNLuxPq6WVUR

and also confirmed in this blog post : http://baylibre.com/elc-2017-3d-mainline/

During the ELC Showcase event, BayLibre showed, among other demos, Quake III Arena running fully accelerated on an Odroid-C2 powered by the Amlogic S905 SoC

This particular demo was running the lastest Linux 4.10 release with some in-development patches for HDMI Support, Audio and Mali acceleration that will certainly go into the next Linux releases.

After booting armbian on myamilogic s905  mini m8s tv box the image is stripped, it looks like some lines are not synchronized and I have 2 screens side by side with half of the lines. It does not matter if its graphical or text mode. I tried it on a 4k tv and hdmi to vga converter.
When I boot original android or libreelec there's no problems so it must be some software problem. dbt file I use is gxbb_p200_2g. I tried also with the original one extracted from android but it won't boot

image_22558.jpg

That probably means you're using the universal 3.14.29 kernel whereas the original dtb's are supposed to work with 3.14.79 Vega kernel for S905 devices. But yeah, definitely a bug as both types of images work fine on my S905 based boxes.

info

I connect 60Gb 2.5" IDE HDD via Jmicon USB-PATA-SATA bridge with ext power supply

image S9xxx_4G_ICEWM_MATE_XFCE_LXDE_LXQT_20170129.img

The system is booted up and running

Also using gparted I ran a swap of 4GB  partition sda3

Using QEMU successfully launched winxpsp3 , 512 Mb RAM , with networking :)

Sandra 2005 determined the Pentium2-333 processor, the speed is about 70-200 MIPS

SoC S905X / TVBox MiniM8II / SZTomatoto vim v1.2

20170312_150224.jpg

20170312_150256.jpg

20170312_150417.jpg

20170312_150443.jpg

20170312_163205.jpg

1 hour ago, Batmah said:

info

I connect 60Gb 2.5" IDE HDD via Jmicon USB-PATA-SATA bridge with ext power supply

image S9xxx_4G_ICEWM_MATE_XFCE_LXDE_LXQT_20170129.img

The system is booted up and running

Also using gparted I ran a swap of 4GB  partition sda3

Using QEMU successfully launched winxpsp3 , 512 Mb RAM , with networking :)

Sandra 2005 determined the Pentium2-333 processor, the speed is about 70-200 MIPS

SoC S905X / TVBox MiniM8II / SZTomatoto vim v1.2

What about the performance of the gnu/linux os?
Is this much faster and smooth if booted from HDD Ext or just the same when booted from SDCard?
I want to try using HDD Ext, but i'am afraid it's not as good as with SDCard.

@xXx or @balbes150

can you tell me if the current images "s9xxx" are safe to flash on the emmc (always on my a95x s905 1G/8G) ?

i see it causes problems on some boxes but i can't quite figure out if there's a way to determine if your box is safe or not.

i made a backup with xxx script juste in case.

thx

On 12.03.2017 at 11:53 AM, mmss said:

With both

What screen resolution are You using ? Ubuntu test files at 720 shows quite smoothly.

On 12.03.2017 at 0:26 PM, xXx said:

Do i need to have the original android firmware in my MiniM8S box for the installation to EMMC to be successful?

I tried 7 times yesterday with your latest ubuntu mate image, and although everything went well ( no errors ) the system

Most likely You have a TV box is using an outdated version of NAND flash memory. To support it you need to manually rebuild initrd (which is included with the linux.img in the /boot directory). You need to get the system to load the module for NAND right at the start of the initrd. I was told that I was sent a few samples of a TV with a similar type of memory. When they arrive, I can test and debug the installation process of this kind of memory.

On 12.03.2017 at 3:05 PM, etona said:

You can connect via ssh with a regular PC and perform any settings on the TV box over the network.

Yes, I hope that in the future will be full support for KODI on Linux on the s9xxx (we're working on it, but I don't have enough free time).

On 12.03.2017 at 3:55 PM, mdel said:

So i'd like to know if you could do it for me and which files you'd need (i think i have the boot block from android, the extracted dtb and decompiled dts, from previous experiments)

If You have a dts file - it will be good. I can include it in the kernel source.

On 12.03.2017 at 4:18 PM, mdel said:

did you test the latest 4.10 kernel with amlogic support (s905 and others) ?

only for a server image i imagine as there's no mali driver yet.

I have a test kernel 4, but I still could not achieve correct operation.

23 hours ago, Nofan Tasi said:

In 4.12 there is a notable progress, but it is too early to talk about the complete work.

19 hours ago, Daniel Kukuła said:

After booting armbian on myamilogic s905  mini m8s tv box the image is stripped, it looks like some lines are not synchronized and I have 2 screens side by side with half of the lines. It does not matter if its graphical or text mode. I tried it on a 4k tv and hdmi to vga converter.

What version image are You using ? Try to replace the fbset file in the one that is on the site in the Test directory.

10 hours ago, Batmah said:

Using QEMU successfully launched winxpsp3 , 512 Mb RAM , with networking

Забавно, Windows из под Linux. :)

Если не секрет, для чего такой хитрый запуск ?

1 hour ago, mdel said:

can you tell me if the current images "s9xxx" are safe to flash on the emmc (always on my a95x s905 1G/8G) ?

Show me the dmesg output. There should be seen what type of memory do You use and is there a possibility now automatically install Linux to the internal memory.

32 minutes ago, balbes150 said:
On 12/3/2017 at 9:53 AM, mmss said:

With both

What screen resolution are You using ? Ubuntu test files at 720 shows quite smoothly.

Default at 720, also with full screen?

What screen resolution are You using ? Ubuntu test files at 720 shows quite smoothly..

---

For me is intersting, all videos from you tube are same smootly!!

Firefox, no sound, I am not finded pakage in synaptic for audio.Ill try again.

Yesterday i am try, 4k, fhd, 720p-hd, 360p? ld...

All videos are same.

Just a little smootly, "20% beter, will be - a perfect!

On a full screen, same, just stop a half second, when I touch airmouse.

This is on 720p on my monitor, 1080p i dont know sett.

In display options i have only 720p.

Anybody know link with this problem and how to set 1080p?

Balbes, tnx for your answers.

A new version of the backup script ( and hopefully the final version, if no bugs found ).

There are many improvements in this version, and is well tested ( by me, and in my box only ).

The script is reimagined and redesigned from top to bottom.

The most notable changes are:

• backup and restore is now separated ( if you just want to restore it won't stop you in low space scenario )
  • forcing compressed mode backup in low space scenarios ( at your own risk afted some warnings )
  • the script now accepts an argument for backup/restore to/from another mounted drive.
  • cleaner code as the script have become very complex
  • color changes for better compatibility with white background terminals ( mate default scheme ).

the list goes on and on, but all the changes are in the script's comments.

Some info can be seen here and here

The script can be downloaded from here

The code can be seen below

Spoiler

#!/bin/bash
# Author: xXx
# Purpose: Automate the process of backing up internal storage.
# Date: 4 Jan 2017 20:22:00 EET
###############################################################################
# Update: 5 Jan 2017 19:48:00 EET                                             #
# Reason: Added support for when the user have started his machine            #
# from USB. Now the right source and destination should be selected.          #
# Added support for uncompressed images.                                      #
# Added detection if the user runs already from emmc.                         #
# Update: 6 Jan 2017 21:43:00 EET                                             #
# Reason: Added functionality to restore images that this program creates.    #
# Update: 8 Mar 2017 18:30:00 EET                                             #
# Reason: Changed yellow color to cyan for white backround terminals.         #
# Update: 8 Mar 2017 18:52:00 EET                                             #
# Reason: Changed backup/restore dir to /ddbr as installer excludes this dir. #
# Update: 12 Mar 2017 10:47:00 EET                                            #
# Reason: Added the ability for the user to continue with compressed backup   #
# only, and at his/her own risk, in case of lesser free space on the drive.   #
# Tried to annoy the user with questions, in order to discourage him/her.     #
# Update: 12 Mar 2017 13:02:00 EET                                            #
# Reason: Separated backup and restore dialogs for better handling of the     #
# various situations for the program itself. Now the program ask first if a   #
# backup or restore is wanted, and skips/adds some checks accordingly.        #
# There should be no stops now, if a restore only wanted, and the free space  #
# was too low, as this is irrelevant to the requested function.               #
# Update: 12 Mar 2017 16:08:00 EET                                            #
# Reason: The program can now accept an argument for PowerUsers.              #
# This argument can only be a directory, and must exists before calling the   #
# program. This mode is dangerous, and most users will not need this mode, as #
# great damages can be done to your system if you use it incorrectly.         #
# The argument is really the backup/restore directory that now can be forced  #
# by the user, to bypass the programs checks, always at his/her own risk.     #
# Update: 12 Mar 2017 16:32:00 EET                                            #
# Reason: Code cleaning. As the program have become very complex already, a   #
# cleaner code was mandatory, in order to keep it safe and maintainable. If i #
# am to kill any bugs below these lines, i should be able to spot them first. #
# Update: 13 Mar 2017 11:52:00 EET                                            #
# Reason: Squashed some small bugs when running on normal Linux desktops that #
# have no EMMC or SDCARDS installed. And some more code cleaning.             #
# Update: 13 Mar 2017 12:40:00 EET                                            #
# Reason: Changed the messages to darker colors for better compatibility with #
# white background terminals. Only the red color is now bright for emphasis.  #

_r=$(tput bold && tput setaf 1)
_g=$(tput setaf 2)
_b=$(tput setaf 4)
_c=$(tput setaf 6)
_x=$(tput sgr0)

[ $(whoami) != root ] && echo "$_r Please run this program as root""$_x" && exit 1

OUTDIR=$1

if [ "$OUTDIR" = "" ]
then
    OUTDIR="/ddbr"
    [ ! -d /ddbr ] && mkdir -p /ddbr
else
    OUTDIR=$(echo "$OUTDIR" | sed "s,/\+$,,")
    echo "$_b ARGUMENT MODE DETECTED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!       $_x"
    echo "$_b NO IN/OUT SIZE CHECKS WILL BE PERFORMED IN THIS MODE. $_x"
    echo "$_b YOU ARE USING THIS MODE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! $_x"
        if [ ! -d "$OUTDIR" ]
        then
            echo "$_r IN ARGUMENT MODE THE OUT/IN DIRECTORY MUST PRE-EXIST $_x"
            echo "$_r AND IT IS BETTER TO BE ON AN MOUNTED EXTERNAL DRIVE. $_x"
            echo "$_r PROGRAM EXITED DUE TO ERROR: NO DIR $OUTDIR          $_x"
            exit 1
        fi
fi

dobackup(){
    echo $_c" DO YOU WANT COMPRESSION ? "$_x
        while true
        read -p " "$_b"YES=("$_c"y"$_b") NO=("$_c"n"$_b")"$_x" " yn
        do
            case $yn in
                y)
                COMPRESS=TRUE
                break;;
                n)
                COMPRESS=FALSE
                break;;
                *)
                ;;
            esac
        done
    if [ "$COMPRESS" = "TRUE" ]
    then
        echo "$_b SAVING AND COMPRESSING "$_g"$emmc"$_b" TO "$_g"$OUTDIR/$image.gz"$_x"..."
        dd if=/dev/$emmc | pv -s $intsize"K" | gzip > $OUTDIR/$image.gz
        finish
    else
        echo "$_b SAVING "$_g"$emmc"$_b" TO "$_g"$OUTDIR/$image"$_x"..."
        dd if=/dev/$emmc | pv -s $intsize"K" | dd of=$OUTDIR/$image
        finish
    fi
}

dorestore(){
    echo $_c" DID YOU USED COMPRESSION WHEN YOU TOOK THE BACKUP ? "$_x
    while true
    read -p " "$_b"YES=("$_c"y"$_b") NO=("$_c"n"$_b")"$_x" " yn
    do
        case $yn in
            y)
            COMPRESS=TRUE
            break;;
            n)
            COMPRESS=FALSE
            break;;
            *)
            ;;
        esac
    done
    if [ "$COMPRESS" = "TRUE" ]
    then
        [ ! -f $OUTDIR/$image.gz ] && echo "$_r NO IMAGE FOUND. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP FIRST."$_x"" && exit 1
        echo "$_c YOU ARE ABOUT TO MAKE SERIOUS CHANGES TO YOUR SYSTEM!!!"
        echo " FILE "$_g"$OUTDIR/$image.gz"$_c" IS GOING TO BE WRITEN TO "$_g"$emmc"$_c" "
        echo " MAKE SURE EVERYTHING LOOKS OK AND:"
        read -p " PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE OR CTRL+C TO CANCEL $_x" blah
        echo $_b" RESTORING $OUTDIR/$image.gz TO /dev/$emmc | PLEASE WAIT..."$_x
        gunzip -c $OUTDIR/$image.gz | pv -s $intsize"K" | dd of=/dev/$emmc
        finish
    else
        [ ! -f $OUTDIR/$image ] && echo "$_r NO IMAGE FOUND. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP FIRST."$_x"" && exit 1
        echo "$_c YOU ARE ABOUT TO MAKE SERIOUS CHANGES TO YOUR SYSTEM!!!"
        echo " FILE "$_g"$OUTDIR/$image"$_c" IS GOING TO BE WRITEN TO "$_g"$emmc"$_c" "
        echo " MAKE SURE EVERYTHING LOOKS OK AND:"
        read -p " PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE OR CTRL+C TO CANCEL $_x" blah
        echo $_b" RESTORING $OUTDIR/$image TO /dev/$emmc | PLEASE WAIT..."$_x
        dd if=$OUTDIR/$image | pv -s $intsize"K" | dd of=/dev/$emmc
        finish
    fi
}

compress(){
    echo "$_c YOU ARE IN FORCED COMPRESSION MODE!!! $_x"
    echo " THIS MODE CAN BE FROM DANGEROUS TO DESTRUCTIVE FOR YOUR $runfrom DRIVE"
    echo " IF THE COMPRESSED BACKUP GROW BIGGER THAN THE FREE SPACE ON THE DRIVE"
    echo " BAD THINGS MAY HAPPEN TO YOUR CURRENTLY RUNNING DRIVE $runfrom"
    echo " IT IS BETTER TO USE A DRIVE WITH PLENTY OF SPACE FOR BACKING UP EMMC"
    echo " BY PRESSING ENTER YOU ARE CONTINUING AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!"
    read -p " CTRL+C to QUIT | ENTER TO CONTINUE " null
    while true
    read -p " "$_b"ARE YOU SURE? YES=("$_c"Y"$_b") NO=("$_c"N"$_b")"$_x" " YN
    do
        case $YN in
            Y)
            break;;
            N)
            exit 1
            break;;
            *)
            ;;
        esac
    done
    echo "$_b SAVING AND COMPRESSING "$_g"$emmc"$_b" TO "$_g"$OUTDIR/$image.gz"$_x"..."
    dd if=/dev/$emmc | pv -s $intsize"K" | gzip > $OUTDIR/$image.gz
    finish
}

finish(){
    echo "$_g JOB FINISHED!"$_x""
    exit 0
}

echo "$_c DO YOU WANT TO BACKUP OR RESTORE ? "$_x""
while true
read -p " "$_b"BACKUP=("$_c"b"$_b") RESTORE=("$_c"r"$_b")"$_x" " br
do
    case $br in
       B)
        wantsbackup=true
        break;;
        r)
        wantsbackup=false
        break;;
        *)
        ;;
    esac
done

### COMMON CHECKS / VARIABLES CREATION / INFO GATHERING

hasdrives=$(lsblk | grep -oE '(mmcblk[0-9])' | sort | uniq)
if [ "$hasdrives" = "" ]
then
    echo "$_r UNABLE TO FIND ANY EMMC OR SD DRIVES ON THIS SYSTEM!!! $_x"
    exit 1
fi
avail=$(lsblk | grep -oE '(mmcblk[0-9]|sda[0-9])' | sort | uniq)
if [ "$avail" = "" ]
then
    echo "$_r UNABLE TO FIND ANY DRIVES ON THIS SYSTEM!!! $_x"
    exit 1
fi
runfrom=$(lsblk | grep /$ | grep -oE '(mmcblk[0-9]|sda[0-9])')
if [ "$runfrom" = "" ]
then
    echo "$_r UNABLE TO FIND ROOT OF THE RUNNING SYSTEM!!! $_x"
    exit 1
fi
emmc=$(echo $avail | sed "s/$runfrom//" | sed "s/sd[a-z][0-9]//g" | sed "s/ //g")
if [ "$emmc" = "" ]
then
    echo "$_r UNABLE TO FIND YOUR EMMC DRIVE "$_c"OR"$_r" YOU ALREADY RUN FROM EMMC!!! $_x"
    exit 1
fi
if [ "$runfrom" = "$avail" ]
then
    echo "$_r YOU ARE RUNNING ALREADY FROM EMMC!!! $_x"
    exit 1
fi
if [ $runfrom = $emmc ]
then
    echo "$_r YOU ARE RUNNING ALREADY FROM EMMC!!! $_x"
    exit 1
fi
if [ "$(echo $emmc | grep mmcblk)" = "" ]
then
    echo "$_r YOU DO NOT APPEAR TO HAVE AN EMMC DRIVE!!! $_x"
    exit 1
fi
intsize=$(fdisk -s /dev/$emmc)
image=$(echo $(cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep '(Hardware|Revision)' | awk '{print $3}') | sed "s/ /-/g")-emmc.img

### BACKUP ONLY CHECKS

if [ "$wantsbackup" = true ]
then
    rootfree=$(df | grep /$ | awk '{print $4}')
    [ $rootfree -le $intsize ] && echo -e "$_r NOT ENOUGH FREE SPACE! \n FORCING COMPRESSION MODE $_x" && compress=true
else
    echo "$_b AVAILABLE DEVICES: "$_g"$(echo $avail)""$_x"
    echo "$_b YOU ARE RUNNING "$_g"$(lsb_release -c | awk '{print $2}')"$_b" FROM "$_g"$runfrom""$_x"
    dorestore
fi

echo "$_b AVAILABLE DEVICES: "$_g"$(echo $avail)""$_x"
echo "$_b YOU ARE RUNNING "$_g"$(lsb_release -c | awk '{print $2}')"$_b" FROM "$_g"$runfrom""$_x"

if [ $(echo $intsize | sed "s/ //g" | wc -c) -le 7 ]
then
    echo -e "$_b INTERNAL EMMC IS: "$_g"$emmc"$_b" SIZE:\t"$_g"$intsize""$_x"
else
    echo -e "$_b INTERNAL EMMC IS: "$_g"$emmc"$_b" SIZE:\t"$_g"$intsize""$_x"
fi

if [ $(echo $rootfree | sed "s/ //g" | wc -c) -le 7 ]
then
    echo -e "$_b ROOT ($runfrom) FREE SPACE IS:\t\t\t"$_g"$rootfree""$_x"
else
    echo -e "$_b ROOT ($runfrom) FREE SPACE IS:\t\t"$_g"$rootfree""$_x"
fi
[ "$compress" = "true" ] && compress || dobackup

14 hours ago, sukanime said:

What about the performance of the gnu/linux os?
Is this much faster and smooth if booted from HDD Ext or just the same when booted from SDCard?
I want to try using HDD Ext, but i'am afraid it's not as good as with SDCard.

Yes ,  this is much faster and smooth if booted from HDD

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

If You have a dts file - it will be good. I can include it in the kernel source.

i have attached the dmesg and dts files for my nexbox a95x s905 version.

let me know if i can "safely" flash to internal emmc, i should be able to unbrick if necessary so don't worry too much about that.

dmesg.txt.gz

nexbox_a95x_s905.dts.gz

12 hours ago, etona said:

Firefox, no sound, I am not finded pakage in synaptic for audio.Ill try again.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/598320-a95x-s905x-emmc-boot-for-ubuntu?p=635318#post635318

12 hours ago, etona said:

Anybody know link with this problem and how to set 1080p?

To change the screen resolution, you need to edit the file "amlogics905x_init.sh". To move comments from 1080 to 720 and restart the system..

12 hours ago, xXx said:

A new version of the backup script ( and hopefully the final version, if no bugs found ).

Downloaded. Will check at home.

9 hours ago, mdel said:

let me know if i can "safely" flash to internal emmc,

Judging by the output, the installation should work. Pay attention to matching the size of the partitions and installed system. That would be enough space to install.

dts will look at it later.