ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

That source, which is used for Assembly. You can use it to compare with a working dtb (gxb_p201) and the results of the changes You will be able to assemble and test the equipment on your new modified version. I can not compare, but I do not have that model to test.

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel/tree/armbian/arch/arm64/boot/dts

9 minutes ago, etona said:

Is a username and pass, root and 1234, on a armbian ubuntu xenial desktop 20170323 ?

Login incorect...

yes armbian first login is : root / 1234

it will ask you to modify the root password immediately and then will ask to create a "real" user.

"root" is not a regular user, for example some applications in linux will refuse to run as root.

The convention is that it's bad practice to log in as root on linux, simply to avoid making errors that can't be fixed and for (system and user) security reasons.

You usually log in with your user account and then use "sudo" to perform privileged "root" actions.

Yes, I understand, this "user" account.

For me, this is ok.

""First username, and pass" I dont understand.

This is yust more to do for programmers...

Is ist possible have  in tv box "multi os boot loader, like "Lilo" in desktop pc, with windows and linux, with options to choose wich os I will to start?

Is this questions for khadas vim forum?

My hardver is is same like one of vims.

Ciao.

14 hours ago, etona said:

Why any linux on begining  ask username and pass?

Is that not a stupid, when I must give username and pass later?

Immediately visible is an absolutely wrong approach to a Windows user. :)

Because of this, the owners of Windows and their henchmen\attackers have full control over the users of the system.

It's very bad when users can do anything in the system without separation of access level. Therefore, viruses and attackers very easily cause any damage to the system, up to its complete destruction.

@balbes150

i have installed Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20170323.img to my a95x emmc using your install.sh script.

The system boot fine from emmc, i connect through ssh, but has no display on hdmi, black screen, monitor to sleep.

sdcard boot (exact same image) has correct hdmi output.

I won't have much time debugging this so i'm just reporting it for now, i'm using my second a95x box (with serial) to test something else and i can't use it to flash the emmc right now.

But i'll be able to test with serial debug later this week if you need.

I've installed my vpn gateway on that a95x and will use it for a couple of weeks to see how it runs.

Edited by mdel

On 3/25/2017 at 8:30 PM, etona said:

Yes, I understand, this "user" account.

For me, this is ok.

""First username, and pass" I dont understand.

This is yust more to do for programmers...

Well the simple way to look at it is to consider that "root is not a user" (so you should not use it).

"root" is more like the "System" account on Windows, which you never use as a user.

On windows you also immediately have a user account that you are forced to create during install. And that user will be an Administrator (part of the Administrators group) of the system, so it will also have the privileges to destroy your windows but windows will have the ability to alert you.

On linux if you are root, no one will ever tell you that you're doing something dangerous, which in itself is a real problem.

And finally on windows you also have the "Administrator" account which is disabled by default and is a real user account.

Personally i always enable it (with a strong password of course), that way if (when) your user profile gets corrupted i can fix it easily.

Is ist possible have  in tv box "multi os boot loader, like "Lilo" in desktop pc, with windows and linux, with options to choose wich os I will to start?

To my knowledge there's no lilo on arm devices (lilo is old, now it's grub/grub2 we use on linux) .

But you can change the boot parameters from the system you're running (before reboot).

So you could change the boot parameters (boot from sdcard or emmc), thus having android on emmc and linux on sdcard.

You will also now find cheap (less than 100e) x86 (intel atom) boxes which will be able to have anything you want, they are basically regular PC that will run windows or linux.

2 hours ago, mdel said:

The system boot fine from emmc, i connect through ssh, but has no display on hdmi, black screen, monitor to sleep.

sdcard boot (exact same image) has correct hdmi output.

Try to perform a few checks.

1. After you run system from eMMC, connect via SSH and give the command restart (NOT shutdown). I watched on some devices + monitor (via adapter) that when you first turn on the TV box does not turn on monitor (u-boot for some reason it is not activated), if you give the command reboot, the monitor turns on.

2. To connect via SSH and run the manual configuration script monitor /boot/amlogics905x_init.sh

i rebooted multiple times to try and fix my fstab

i also tried to use run /boot/amlogics905x_init.sh manually, it returns "-en", from your "echo -en "\033[?25h"" probably

the screen stays black and does not "move"

i also tried to plug a usb keyboard on the box to see if keypresses  would wake up the screen but nothing.

fstab is okay, i just added the "nofail" option that we discussed on the other tread.

Spoiler

cat /etc/fstab 
#/var/swap none swap sw 0 0
#/dev/root    /        auto        noatime,errors=remount-ro    0 1
#proc        /proc        proc        defaults                0 0

/dev/root    /        ext4        defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro    0 1
tmpfs        /tmp        tmpfs        defaults,nosuid                0 0

PARTUUID=9ca0ead7-01    /media/USBLinux         ext4    rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1 0 0

/boot/ is empty, only your script :

ls -lA /boot/
total 4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1676 Mar 27 09:13 amlogics905x_init.sh

Compiled a test version of Ubuntu server-4.9. Want to try - website catalog test\4.9 . Note that you need to download another dtb file and add the media with the name of the dtb.img. Monitor not working yet, but you can connect over the network via SSH or through the console UART. I checked the work on s905x, the network is working SSH, you can manage the system.

p.s. Who is interested in the kernel sources - I GIT s905 in the thread "test".

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Compiled a test version of Ubuntu server-4.9. Want to try - website catalog test\4.9 . Note that you need to download another dtb file and add the media with the name of the dtb.img. Monitor not working yet, but you can connect over the network via SSH or through the console UART. I checked the work on s905x, the network is working SSH, you can manage the system.

p.s. Who is interested in the kernel sources - I GIT s905 in the thread "test".

Thanks a lot for the update.

openlinux.amlogic mentions:

Note: xxxx_kernel49_release is under development , and not completed yet.

so it is very cool you get it to work.

I just finished to build buildroot and kernel (for using in gentoo) myself,

but I guess without monitor I may need some more patience to enjoy fully :-)

questions:

- in your /boot I see android linux.img ... Is that file needed for armbian?

- are other files like aml_autoscript and s905_autoscript etc... fundamentally different from, say the 3.14.29 ones?

note:

I see no mali.ko in /lib/modules (not in my build either).

Hi Marc.

1. linux.img is the kernel image + initrd , which is automatically generated Assembly environment Armbian for use when installing to the internal memory. I haven't tested, but most likely here it does not work, just comes automatically when you build the image. You can delete it.

2. the scripts start and activate the multi-boot the same and does not depend on the engine.

3. the module mali.ko in this Assembly not included.

You will also now find cheap (less than 100e) x86 (intel atom) boxes which will be able to have anything you want, they are basically regular PC that will run windows or linux.

------------

I am look, for intel, when I am buy a nexbox...

Shit!!

I am reed someware, for this box, that is a "mini pc"...

Exelent kodi, etc, etc...

OK, tnx.

On 1 sd, libreelec, on other, this armbian,...

Can anyone provide some guidance on setting up docker on an S905 box? I tried installed from the link below but it hangs on "Setting up docker-hypriot (1.11.1-1) ..."

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/#how-to-run-docker

Installing docker.io doesn't work either as I am running arm64 version of armbian. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, weekendwarreya said:

Installing docker.io doesn't work either as I am running arm64 version of armbian. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i am running @balbes150 armbian ubuntu xenial server image (aarch64) on an s905 box.

i can install docker.io from the ubuntu repository (apt-get install docker.io), then run :

docker run aarch64/hello-world
Unable to find image 'aarch64/hello-world:latest' locally
latest: Pulling from aarch64/hello-world
8c5c4ac25476: Pull complete 
Digest: sha256:bd1722550b97668b23ede297abf824d4855f4d9f600dab7b4db1a963dae7ec9e
Status: Downloaded newer image for aarch64/hello-world:latest

Hello from Docker on arm64!
This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.

To generate this message, Docker took the following steps:
 1. The Docker client contacted the Docker daemon.
 2. The Docker daemon pulled the "hello-world" image from the Docker Hub.
 3. The Docker daemon created a new container from that image which runs the
    executable that produces the output you are currently reading.
 4. The Docker daemon streamed that output to the Docker client, which sent it
    to your terminal.

To try something more ambitious, you can run an Ubuntu container with:
 $ docker run -it ubuntu bash

Share images, automate workflows, and more with a free Docker ID:
 https://cloud.docker.com/

For more examples and ideas, visit:
 https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/

i had to use "run aarch64/hello-world", otherwise "run hello-word" would fetch the (arm ?) version and throw an "exec format error"..

so i don't know if you will be able to run "armhf" containers, i don't know much about docker and don't use it personally.

Hi,

Docker doesn't have a good way to distinguish between different architectures automatically, so some conventions have evolved.

• The default architecture is AMD64, so if you run a container without any prefix / infix in the underlying image's name, you will likely get an "exec format error" on other platforms
  • The most common prefix for ARMv7 flavoured images is 'armhf-', the most common prefix for ARMv8 is 'aarch64-'.
  • Docker has started to publish their official images for other platforms using the 'armhf' and 'aarch64' dockerhub repo users.
  • You can run armhf images on most ARMv8 boards.

I have written a small Docker-HowTo (which needs an update for sure). Since @Igor pays very much attention providing Docker ready Linux kernels with Armbian Images, Docker should run out of the box.

I'd recommend using Ubuntu Xenial instead of Debian Jessie, since Ubuntu has a much better Docker support.

Cheers

Uli

A test image of Ubuntu with the Mate-4.9 (test\4_9\20170329) if you wish to see , let the poor, but the image of the desktop (the image is doubling, how to cure, I have not yet found). Console output not working, but the graphic image appears. Initial configuration you need to perform either via SSH or via UART. After the initial setting, after restarting there is a DE. :rolleyes:

Tried running the version with the Mate kernel 4.9 on i7Pro (s905x). With a connected monitor via an adapter HDMI-VGA, surprisingly, received almost normal picture. The image does not appear double, but cropped vertically exactly half (when the mode is 720). I tried to switch to 1080 - shows, too, but trimmed is two-thirds from the bottom. Thus, in-running 4.9 displays the image but it is not clear how to set it up, something would have been the whole picture.

Test versions images (20170401) server and mate  kernel 4.10.8. When run from SD card the system starts up and allows you to log in through the console UART. Network and USB does not work yet. Error with the eMMC. Note that these images are for experienced users only, if you would be willing to help with debugging and testing.

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Test versions images (20170401) server and mate  kernel 4.10.8. When run from SD card the system starts up and allows you to log in through the console UART. Network and USB does not work yet. Error with the eMMC. Note that these images are for experienced users only, if you would be willing to help with debugging and testing.

congratulations, looking forward to run latest linux kernel on amlogic