ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

root@amlogic

Ha, ha, I generally don't do that or the original report would have included this recommendation to actually see gl4es in action:

LIBGL_FB=3 glxgears

Still, apart from the wrong permissions, Mali X11/EGL doesn't work as reported, but at least now I understand the setup - only the framebuffer driver is available. I'll report the broken FB display to the author, maybe it can be fixed. 

1 hour ago, Tommy21 said:

how to use latest debian/ubuntu image on sd card, i have khadas vim board with Android nougat, it was different procedure with marshmallow, update app is different?

I have not tested the multi-boot into Android 7.

To All

By the way, there's good news, with the help of user SFS (from Russian forum puppyrus) I've worc with KODI to play videos in standard Linux. Only on the basis of ArchLinux, but I hope it can be transferred to the Armbian. Now need time to go to collect and debug and assembe a complete system. If you would be willing to help testing KODI on the basis of ArchLinux - write. Also welcome assistance in building packages for Debian\Ubuntu (I have little experience in this).

11 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I have not tested the multi-boot into Android 7.

To All

By the way, there's good news, with the help of user SFS (from Russian forum puppyrus) I've worc with KODI to play videos in standard Linux. Only on the basis of ArchLinux, but I hope it can be transferred to the Armbian. Now need time to go to collect and debug and assembe a complete system. If you would be willing to help testing KODI on the basis of ArchLinux - write. Also welcome assistance in building packages for Debian\Ubuntu (I have little experience in this).

Kodi is already available in Debian testing for arm64.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/arm64/kodi/download

2 hours ago, bshiznit said:

would love to help test! I have been a long time Raspberry Pi user - am new to AmLogic with Khadas Vim - just let me know.

A test image with ArchLinux+KODI. Pay attention, this is only early alpha and many things not working and you need to run manually. To run this you need an image that would have been activated multiboot (yet in this way there is no file to activate multi-boot) use.

1. Decompress and write to the media (note that the original image has a size of 2 GB, and after the free not space. To expand the second partition ext4 manually on all media)

2. If necessary, add correct dtb file with the name "dtb.img"

3. After system startup, log in as the root user and the root password. To start KODI, type the command "kodi". The system allows you to establish regular means (pacman) any packets. Setting , as usual in ArchLinux.

https://yadi.sk/d/BbH_N6HFzvjhm

S9xx_ArchLinux_KODI_20170620_3_14_29.img.xz

Also on the website there are modified packages to install (kodi-aml  and libgl-aml). A minimal set of packages for this version of the KODI - xorg-server, xf86-video-fbturbo-odroid-c2-git kodi-aml, libgl-aml.

To set permissions you need to edit the file /boot/hdmi.sh (as usual in the images Armbian).

I got it running on a 16G microSD card, but struggling to expand the partition.   It is only using less than 2 gig and I can't figure out how to expand it to use the full capacity of the microSD card.  I tried the command line for gparted, no luck, tried fdisk, still no luck.  I am just learning Linux, so this is only a tutorial for me, to learn.  Kodi is running, but since this is a beta, there are a lot of things it won't do.

1 hour ago, clarkss12 said:

I got it running on a 16G microSD card, but struggling to expand the partition.   It is only using less than 2 gig and I can't figure out how to expand it to use the full capacity of the microSD card.  I tried the command line for gparted, no luck, tried fdisk, still no luck.  I am just learning Linux, so this is only a tutorial for me, to learn.  Kodi is running, but since this is a beta, there are a lot of things it won't do.

gparted does have a graphical user interface when you run that in a Linux PC. You must run that as root. Expand the partition with the mouse.

8 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

The expansion of the section need to be run from another system (not from the running system). You can use Linux on a PC (not install,  run in LiveCD mode). You can run Armbian with a USB stick and run the extension on the TV console. By the way, many do not know, but if you have Armbian on the USB\SD card , you can perform all operations on unpacking and recording new images on the media box from Linux.

10 hours ago, balbes150 said:

The expansion of the section need to be run from another system (not from the running system). You can use Linux on a PC (not install,  run in LiveCD mode). You can run Armbian with a USB stick and run the extension on the TV console. By the way, many do not know, but if you have Armbian on the USB\SD card , you can perform all operations on unpacking and recording new images on the media box from Linux.

Thank you, I will give that a try.

Edit:  Using your instructions on how to expand the partition, I used my $40 Amlogic S905x running your Ubuntu port, I was able to expand the partition.

Thanks for all that you are doing......  Here is a video I made showing how I used Gparted to expand the partition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SWrIdoNTY

19 hours ago, balbes150 said:

A test image with ArchLinux+KODI. Pay attention, this is only early alpha and many things not working and you need to run manually. To run this you need an image that would have been activated multiboot (yet in this way there is no file to activate multi-boot) use.

Thanks! Just getting my bearings - compiled u-boot and 3.14.29 kernel using the khadas github's Ubuntu branches a few days ago - so luckily I had created a bootable SD already using dd. I have been running Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20170619 from SD so I already enabled multiboot as well. WOW this things runs great...

Will play with this image today.

Oh also to get the firmware for Khadas VIM Wifi working I edited a couple files per these patches I found:

https://github.com/khadas/LibreELEC.tv/blob/Vim-devel/packages/linux-firmware/wlan-firmware/patches/wlan-firmware-03-AP6212A-AP6255-firmware-auto-select.patch

https://github.com/khadas/LibreELEC.tv/blob/Vim-devel/packages/linux-firmware/wlan-firmware/patches/wlan-firmware-04-AP6212-firmware-auto-select.patch

I have the Pro (2GB/16GB EMMC) which uses AP6255 - but brought in support for AP6212 too. After this running

sudo modprobe dhd

Got the wifi up and running

On 15.06.2017 at 9:19 PM, balbes150 said:

image Armbian Ubuntu Mate 20170601

root@amlogic:/home/user/gl4es# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib
root@amlogic:/home/user/gl4es# glxgears
LIBGL: Initialising gl4es
LIBGL: v0.9.7 built on Jun 15 2017 19:13:38
LIBGL:loaded: libGLESv1_CM.so
LIBGL:loaded: libEGL.so
LIBGL: Extension glBlendColor found and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_point_sprite detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_point_size_array detected
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_framebuffer_object detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_depth24 detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_depth_texture detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_texture_cube_map detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_draw_texture detected and used
LIBGL: Max texture size: 4096
LIBGL: Texture Units: 8, Max lights: 8, Max planes: 1
LIBGL: Implementation Read is GL_RGB/GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5
LIBGL: Current folder is:/home/user/gl4es
Error: couldn't open display (null)

try in terminal:

# export DISPLAY=:0.0
# LIBGL_FB=3 glxgears

It works for me on s912

A test image of Ubuntu Mate KODI. It's a predefined way. The user "user" password to "1". The user "root" password "root". Launch KODI should run as root user (open a console and execute "su -" enter passwd root "kodi"). This version of KODI normally plays full-screen video. After leaving their KODI the screen remains black, you need to switch to another console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and switch back (Ctrl+Alt+F7).

S9xx_Ubuntu_KODI_20170621_3_14_29.img.xz

Has anyone figured out which module should be loaded for M8S II Mini's WiFi to work?

I've tried both dhd and wifi_dummy (sudo modprobe wifi_dummy , sudo modprobe dhd), but I still can't access wifi, or see any wifi adapter by issuing ifconfig command

On 6/21/2017 at 0:38 PM, balbes150 said:

A test image of Ubuntu Mate KODI. It's a predefined way. The user "user" password to "1". The user "root" password "root". Launch KODI should run as root user (open a console and execute "su -" enter passwd root "kodi"). This version of KODI normally plays full-screen video. After leaving their KODI the screen remains black, you need to switch to another console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and switch back (Ctrl+Alt+F7).

S9xx_Ubuntu_KODI_20170621_3_14_29.img.xz

I tried this as well as the ArchLinux KODI builds - on the Khadas VIM Pro (2/16) I have framebuffer issues when running Kodi - I can see Kodi rendered momentarily then have some framebuffer and artifacting issues. I can send a pic if it would be helpful...

Figured with the launch KODI from the average user. For this you need to add it to the group. To run the command

"sudo usermod -a-G audio,video,disk,input,tty user"

And edit the file /boot/hdmi.sh replace 1 to 0 . The line after editing should be

"echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink"

After these steps, you can launch KODI from the menu.

Beta version (20170623). Image c KODI. This way works as usual with the primary setting. Volume expansion occurs automatically. Pay attention now to run KODI you need to use the tab menu (graphics\sound). Works addons\setings. To configure the WiFi - need to use the setting in the main system. KODI works with hardware and settings, which are executed in the primary system. For WiFi you need to register the correct module in the startup file (/etc/modules).

Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_KODI_20170623.img.xz

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Figured with the launch KODI from the average user. For this you need to add it to the group. To run the command

"sudo usermod -a-G audio,video,disk,input,tty user"

And edit the file /boot/hdmi.sh replace 1 to 0 . The line after editing should be

"echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink"

After these steps, you can launch KODI from the menu.

Cool thx! Will try with latest Armbian then - I did read the bit about permissions but wasn't sure what to do (assumed something in /etc/udev/rules.d/ but like I said no clue about mali, fbturbo whatever those are). Thanks.

21 hours ago, bshiznit said:

I tried this as well as the ArchLinux KODI builds - on the Khadas VIM Pro (2/16) I have framebuffer issues when running Kodi - I can see Kodi rendered momentarily then have some framebuffer and artifacting issues. I can send a pic if it would be helpful...

What firmware in the eMMC ? I have VIM Pro (Android 6), Inphic I7 Pro (s905x), S95 Tronsmart Telos\Pro (s905). Everything works. There are problems with stability, sometimes the sound hangs.

1 minute ago, balbes150 said:

What firmware in the eMMC ? I have VIM Pro (Android 6), Inphic I7 Pro (s905x), S95 Tronsmart Telos\Pro (s905). Everything works. There are problems with stability, sometimes the sound hangs.

Vim_Marshmallow_Root_170303 is what it came with and is running presently :)

6 minutes ago, bshiznit said:

Vim_Marshmallow_Root_170303 is what it came with and is running presently

Try the latest image with KODI. It needs to work properly. Don't forget to use the correct dtb from VIM (copy "kvim.dtb" the "dtb.img" to root FAT).

Tested the latest image with kodi Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_KODI_20170623.img

Results:

• Wifi sees the networks but is not connecting ( also no edit available in wifi settings ( network settings in general )).
  • Playing the videos in desktop with mpv causes the system to hang after a few 10-20 sec with audio looping the last sec of two.
  • The system is not rebooting or shuting down ( always loops back to desktop ).
  • Bluetooth is not working ( not tested very well )
  • Kodi starts and seems ok but not tested any video ( all my videos are in samba shares ).
  • Closing kodi you have a black screen, you need to switch terminals to fix this.
  • To close the system you need to pull out the power adapter ( no other way of convincing the system to shutdown )

The dtb i tested was gxbb_p200_2G

Hope this helps.

47 minutes ago, xXx said:

Wifi sees the networks but is not connecting ( also no edit available in wifi settings ( network settings in general )).

Module loade ?

sudo modprobe wifi_dummy

or

sudo modprobe dhd

For autostart WiFi  Add 1 new line to /etc/modules

wifi_dummy

or

dhd

@balbes150

i did "sudo modprobe wifi_dummy"

after that it sees the networks, i put my creds but it is not connecting.

This was the case and with the other images tested not long time ago.

Older images was connecting without problems, right from the beggining.

12 minutes ago, xXx said:

after that it sees the networks, i put my creds but it is not connecting.

Module "dhd" the same behavior ?

Have you tried to configure and connect, wait 5 minutes after enabling the module ?

To ALL

Error found in latest version of Armbian+KODI (20170623) and images that can be repaired without downloading a new image (in which these errors are corrected).

1. Freeze sound. To resolve is to edit the file /etc/pulse/default.pa the line load-module module-udev-detect (remove the tsched=0).

2. In a lengthy video playback in the main system turns on the screensaver and artefacts to video. The solution is to disable or uninstall the screensaver. Or use a separate graphics desktop and launch KODI. To do this, remove the package "nodm", install package "lightdm". This will allow at the entrance of the system to choose which system to run Mate\XFC or KODI. In the upper right corner of the login screen (lightdm) there is a button to select Mate or KODI. To run KODI you need to choose the second option in the menu.