ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

Hey @balbes150 I check the md5 against my yesterday downloads (the 3 ubuntu armbian 5.37 s9xx images) and the checksum are OK but I'm having problems to write the images on SD card and USB drive, I try 2 different SD card and 2 different USB drives. I use Etcher and Disk Utility in Ubuntu 16.04 and also 2 different ports in my Laptop and again I try to use the card reader in the Laptop and a USD card reader. In all the cases the image fail in some point more or less at 80% of the process.

Are the images correct? What is the correct way to do the step 3? Thanks again

On 6/5/2016 at 11:59 AM, balbes150 said:

3. Record an image on the medium

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

What size media are you using ?

I try 2 different 4GB USB drives with Server image and 2 different 16GB microSD card with Mate and icewm. The 4 media are OK and already used with Armbian, Lakka without problems. 

Hi,

impressive :) , thanks@balbes150

I briefly tested the Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20171226.img.xz on W95(S905W) Box with 1/8G

It really works! :)

of course I have 3 minor problems ;) 

1.  WIFI driver for SSV6051P

in W95 the wifi chip is SSV6051P

this chip is supported in the newest LibreELEC, and the drivers source code is here https://kszaq.libreelec.tv/sources/

(thanks to kszaq)

How I can add this WIFI driver to Armbian S9xxx? 

2. Install to eMMC (NAND)

I try the
./install.sh

and

nand_sata_install

and 

armbian-config ... 

all is done but the system is not starting from eMMC, only from SD card

Is tere anything else I should do/copy to be able to start it from eMMC without SD card?

3.  Sinks in Pulse

this device has 3 audio output (analog, spdif, hdmi)
but in the pulse I can see only one sink, the audio output is hdmi device
Is there any way to add the rest of the devices?

Any advice how to fix these issues?
Thx

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

I now checked. Downloaded image Armbian Mate 20171226. Unpacked. Recorded on the USB pendrive (Linux , ROSA Imagewriter). All signed up with no problems.

OK, thanks.

I don't understond what's happened. I try again with the images on Mega and also with ROSA.

It looks something happens with Nexbox a95x WiFi hardware support (or pci bus) in latest 3.14.29 Debian server. It's no wlan0 interface and I can't check if driver is present:

root@amlogic:~# lspci
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

22 hours ago, volodya327 said:

It looks something happens with Nexbox a95x WiFi hardware support (or pci bus) in latest 3.14.29 Debian server. It's no wlan0 interface and I can't check if driver is present:

root@amlogic:~# lspci
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

There is no pci bus in these SoCs, you should use lsmod to see if there is any module related to wifi and iwconfig to show the network interfaces which support wifi

Hey so I installed Armbian Ubuntu xenial mate on a tx3 pro. The install went fine and when I start the box up it gives me the Armbrian login screen, I type in my info and then for some reason I just instantly boot into Kodi. Not sure whats up with that couldn't find anyone else with the same problem. I also cant close Kodi without it logging me back out.

Gunna try deb in the meantime.

7 hours ago, dirtyduzit said:

Hey so I installed Armbian Ubuntu xenial mate on a tx3 pro. The install went fine and when I start the box up it gives me the Armbrian login screen, I type in my info and then for some reason I just instantly boot into Kodi. Not sure whats up with that couldn't find anyone else with the same problem. I also cant close Kodi without it logging me back out.

Gunna try deb in the meantime.

Are you running dual os or android only ?

The latest dualos doesn't want to boot from sd card anymore.

On 09.01.2018 at 5:59 PM, araczkowski said:

How I can add this WIFI driver to Armbian S9xxx? 

It is possible to appear in the next version.

all is done but the system is not starting from eMMC, only from SD card

Is tere anything else I should do/copy to be able to start it from eMMC without SD card?

Perhaps S905W changed in u-boot or set of commands. I don't have s905W, so I don't know what the reason. You will need to look for the cause. This requires the console UART. You need to perform manual commands and watch the results.

Is there any way to add the rest of the devices?

To add\change the set of modules you need to build a new kernel.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:11 PM, manuti said:

OK, thanks.

I don't understond what's happened. I try again with the images on Mega and also with ROSA.

Hey @balbes150   I don't know what happens with your images but is impossible to me to burn using my Laptop with Ubuntu 16.04. After my first try I ended with a bricked SD card (nested partitions, incorrect partition orden ...  and a sort of things that made impossible to format or recover). I buyed a new one and started having same errors writing the image with Etcher and Rosa and I decided to stop this way. 
I have created the partition structure with Gparted, I have mounted the image, I copied the /BOOT files in fat16 partition and /ROOTFS to ext4 partition, I have to recreate the permissions for sudoers ... and finally the image boots!!! Thanks!!!

Hey @balbes150. I've been using your S905 images for a while now (on a Mini M8S II). Great job and great effort, I really appreciate it. However, I do use Kszaq's LibreELEC as my main OS, as the primary job of this box was to function as media player. I'm now thinking of replacing LibreELEC with your ARMBIAN image as they provide both a good Kodi and Linux desktop experience.

But before doing that, I have some questions about updates. Do you have the time to answer these? I'm sorry if the answer is already posted in this thread somewhere else. I'm having a hard time using the search function here at armbian.com.

1) What is the general procedure to update the firmware? I don't want to format every time when a new image is released. I noticed you provide kernel deb packages for ARMBIAN 5.34 on your Yandisk. Are you planning to release the kernel deb packages for upcoming releases? Other software can be updated with apt, but how about the rest of the rootfs? Does the rootfs change much between releases? Or do you recommend to wipe the rootfs and start with a clean install every update?

2) Related to question 1, how can I upgrade Kodi? I noticed Kodi was build from source in your image and isn't managed by any package manager. I assume the Kodi version in the ARMBIAN repo isn't sufficient to run on this box. Do you have any notes on building Kodi from source for this box? For example, important key differences in building and configuration. I guess Kodi must be compiled with support for the Mali GPU and there is some extra configuration needed. It would be great to get some pointers on that, or a maybe a git / build configuration to start with?

3) There are two Kodi's mentioned in the LightDM greeter session list. What is the point of that? The /usr/share/xsessions directory shows a kodi.desktop and a xmbc.desktop file. The contents of both files seems the same, only the filename differs. What's the reason for that?

4) Video seems to work smoothly in Kodi. However, when using MATE and mpv the video stutter  alot when playing in non-fullscreen mode. Switching to fullscreen makes the video plays smoothly. Is this expected behaviour? Armbian 5.37 Ubuntu Mate 20171226.

-- And some other more general questions --

4) Amlogic provides 4.14 kernels, still the 3.14 kernel is still used by many projects. Is there a reason for this? Would you recommend starting experimenting with the 4.14 kernel? Or would this open a new gate to driver hell and / or stability issues?

5) Does the Mali driver supports non HD resolutions, for example 1024x768 and 1680x1050? I know the drivers supplied in your image does not, but maybe some compile option or newer version of the driver does?

Thank you in advance!

1. Some software you can update via apt from ubuntu/debian repos, but specific system component balbes150 compile witch patch from sources when build new image, If you have time and resources, you can create you own repo, compile this package and give it to other user via apt)

2. Kodi have great documentation basically you need compile it for framebufer

4. Main problem when you watch video in windowed mode it's scaling and color conversion with default mpv settings it requires a lot of cpu resources.

4.2. Mainline kernel good for some project, but not for desktop usage now.

If you play video with mpv, and video resolution not same as you screen resolution you can reduce framedrop and  cpu usage if try different scale method.. example screen resolution 720p test file http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi_1080p_Theatrical_Trailer.html play in fullscreen 1280x720

Spoiler

talraash@amlogic:~/Downloads$ mpv 1.mp4 --vo=x11  --sws-scaler=fast-bilinear
Playing: 1.mp4
[ffmpeg/demuxer] mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2: stream 0, timescale not set
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 1920x816 29.930fps)
     Video --vid=2 [P] (mjpeg)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
File tags:
 Artist: Lucasfilm
 Genre: Trailer
 Title: Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi - Theatrical Trailer
[vo/x11] Warning: this legacy VO has bad performance. Consider fixing your graphics drivers, or not forcing the x11 VO.
shared memfd open() failed: Function not implemented
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [x11] 1920x816 yuv420p
AV: 00:02:30 / 00:02:30 (99%) A-V:  0.000 Dropped: 150

talraash@amlogic:~/Downloads$ mpv 1.mp4 --vo=x11
Playing: 1.mp4
[ffmpeg/demuxer] mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2: stream 0, timescale not set
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 1920x816 29.930fps)
     Video --vid=2 [P] (mjpeg)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
File tags:
 Artist: Lucasfilm
 Genre: Trailer
 Title: Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi - Theatrical Trailer
[vo/x11] Warning: this legacy VO has bad performance. Consider fixing your graphics drivers, or not forcing the x11 VO.
shared memfd open() failed: Function not implemented
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [x11] 1920x816 yuv420p
AV: 00:00:12 / 00:02:30 (8%) A-V:  0.011 Dropped: 253

First - play with fast scale method --sws-scaler=fast-bilinear - 150 frame droped during 150sec of video, second - play video with default scaling method - 253 frame drops during 12sec of video.

Some light test ram consuming and perfomance arm64 and armhf browser chromium 63...

armhf

arm64

Spoiler

QhqA7mn.png

MB2DyKV.png

On 12.01.2018 at 11:49 AM, manuti said:

I don't know what happens with your images but is impossible to me to burn using my Laptop with Ubuntu 16.04.

All the entry works correctly, cause in Your system.

On 12.01.2018 at 7:54 PM, vuhuy said:

I've been using your S905 images for a while now (on a Mini M8S II). Great job and great effort, I really appreciate it. However, I do use Kszaq's LibreELEC as my main OS, as the primary job of this box was to function as media player. I'm now thinking of replacing LibreELEC with your ARMBIAN image as they provide both a good Kodi and Linux desktop experience.

If the main task is watching a video, you better use LE as the main OS in eMMC. KODI in Armbian is designed for simple playback , without additional functions.

1. A major upgrade of the system through the standard procedure of apt upgrade), the kernel is not updated often. You can upgrade it through installation of the finished kernel packages, which are laid out with substantial changes.

2. You can use your build KODI from official sources. The instructions are on the official website of KODI.

3. This cusp (reference to former name for special occasions).

4. Yes, it is normal behavior MATE (there's no support for HW acceleration).

5. New kernel 4.x does not yet have support for video playback in full screen.

6. The opportunity is there, but you need to patch the kernel sources.

46 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

All the entry works correctly, cause in Your system.

YES, I'm the problem of course, because nobody has same issues. But with my workaround finally I have your images working on a MXQpro and a MXQpro+.

The Wi-Fi is not working, I don't know whats happens.

I need to open the box to see the chipset or can be retrieve this info with some command on the CLI?

Thanks again for this incredible work!!!

14 minutes ago, manuti said:

YES, I'm the problem of course, because nobody has same issues. But with my workaround finally I have your images working on a MXQpro and a MXQpro+.

The Wi-Fi is not working, I don't know whats happens.

I need to open the box to see the chipset or can be retrieve this info with some command on the CLI?

Thanks again for this incredible work!!!

The WiFi module is loaded, as described in the first message of this topic ?

Hello friends,

I have a boc TX5 Pro and I can not boot Linux with it.

Model: TX5 Pro
Type: TV Box
System: Android 6.0
Processor: S905X
CPU: Amlogic S905X
Core: 2.0GHz, Quad Core
GPU: Mali-450
RAM: 2G
RAM Type: DDR3
ROM: 16G
Max. Extended Capacity: TF card up to 32GB

I've already run the autoscript in UPDATES and booted the version:
Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20171226.img

Without changing dtb

What can I be doing wrong?

Tks

Uploaded the site to the directory Armbian a test version of the Ubuntu image Mate 20180116 with the new version of the kernel 3.14.29. In this manner significantly extended the list of dtb files.

Request to all, to try to run this image with different dtb files (including groups on the model of your TV box). If this kernel will work fine, I will upload the remaining images (Ubuntu\Debian server\DE).

Hi Balbes, that latest image dated january 2018 does not boot in a T95Z Plus using the Vega96 dtb.

Also with your latest images dated 26122018, which work very well from the SD, I am unable to write them to the emmc. I am missing something? Process starts, then it complains about not finding android magic in the partition /dev/data, and it boots to recovery console. 

Tks for ur awesome work BTW

3 hours ago, jgb said:

not boot in a T95Z Plus using the Vega96 dtb.

Pay attention to the last image (20180116), significantly changed the list of dtb files. Part of these files may not work correctly. Therefore, to find a working version, you need to try all of the files for their group. For example, for Vega S95 Telos you can use gxbb_p200_2G.dtb , file vegas95.dtb does not work (it need to patch for use with new kernel).

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Also with your latest images dated 26122018, which work very well from the SD, I am unable to write them to the emmc. I am missing something? Process starts, then it complains about not finding android magic in the partition /dev/data, and it boots to recovery console. 

Do NOT use these images to install to eMMC. It is not yet validated images.