ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

2 hours ago, volodya327 said:

I need to make a backup image of my working SD card to new one with less size (16GB -> 8GB) for my experiments. It's enough free space on filesystem. But how to compact the image ? What is the technology/utility ?

The only solution I know are - if you free some space on the filesystem - GParted to resize partitons (under Linux oder Live-CD) and then under Windows Win32Diskimager should have in a newer version a tick/click option to same only allocated space in the image-file.

4 hours ago, volodya327 said:

I need to make a backup image of my working SD card to new one with less size (16GB -> 8GB) for my experiments. It's enough free space on filesystem. But how to compact the image ? What is the technology/utility ?

Are you familiar with Linux commands ? The easiest solution is to run on a Linux PC, connect the new card (8Gb), create two partitions on it with labels BOOT (about 90-100 MB) and ROOTFS (everything else). Connect the old card (16 GB) and copy all the files from the old card to the new one from the root user.

I can not get this new "Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.40_mate_20171112" or "Armbian_5.41_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.76_mate_20180219.img" to install on my MiniM8S2.  The older version works great.  I have tried to extract the dtb image for my box and renamed it to dtb.img and placed it on the root of my microSD card.  Checking the microSD card that works, it does NOT have a dtb.img in the root of the microSD card.

I tried holding the reset button, and that did not work.  Tried using "reboot update" from termial (Android). still did not work.

Not sure what else to try..

thanks

14 hours ago, balbes150 said:

To check the operation of full-screen video from Linux, I am looking for users who have TV box models with s905X \ s912 and the ability to connect the UART console.

Added the ability to manage via SSH (console UART is not required).

Better way. You can count on me to try with S905X in MXQ Pro and pro plus. 

10 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

Not sure what else to try..

For the new 4.9 kernel, you can only use dtb files from an image (from the /dtb directory). Any of firmware with Android 7 (it uses a kernel 4.9). Dtb files from kernel 3.14 are not compatible with kernel 4.9.

7 hours ago, manuti said:

Better way. You can count on me to try with S905X in MXQ Pro and pro plus. 

Thank you for offering me help. But I had already decided this question.

Hello everybody,

I have an Amlogic s905 Box with 1gb ram (Model MX Plus - they say it is a full clone of Tronsmart Vega95 Pro). I tried two images  (installed to nand) - ubuntu server 3.14 and now debian server with same kernel (ARMBIAN 5.37 3.14.29) - unfortunately I experience the same issue with both installations, at some point of time (maybe after a couple of days) - one of processes starts to use all cpu time so the box becomes unresponsive (I can ping it, but cannot ssh-in anymore) - only reboot helps. Yesterday I left it in the such state for a whole night, in the morning it still was pingable but I could not ssh-in, even stopping some services via remote ssh command didn't work - so the system cannot recover. Both systems were relatively clean - openvpn, transmission-daemon, docker with couple of images (tvheadend, acestream) - nothing that would cause problems on libreelec (I must confess, that I run libreelec on different box, so there is still chance that it would also make problems on this one). I've got a couple of "hang-ups" even while compiling some docker image. I don't exactly know what process causes the problems since I cannot log-in anymore when it happens, so will have to setup some kind of monitoring (but like I said - there are only few of them). Did anybody experience similar problems? Any ideas how to fix or at least find the root cause of this?

I've found a topic which seems to deal with similar issue

but I'm not sure I can follow the workaround steps described in that one like downgrading the kernel and/or upgrading to some nightlies because we use some custom builds, don't we?

2 hours ago, chpasha said:

Did anybody experience similar problems? Any ideas how to fix or at least find the root cause of this?

You set the normal cooling system (radiator + fan+modification of the housing for access of air) ?

33 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

You set the normal cooling system (radiator + fan+modification of the housing for access of air) ?

no, I didn't modify anything. It doesn't look like overheating issue to me - it happens instantly and after reboot cpu temperature is very low (37-40 C). Can I ask you to upload a couple of older images of debian server (with armbian below 5.37)? I would like to try them - it really looks like software issue, especially after reading the topic with similar symptoms

16 minutes ago, chpasha said:

no, I didn't modify anything. It doesn't look like overheating issue to me - it happens instantly and after reboot cpu temperature is very low (37-40 C). Can I ask you to upload a couple of older images of debian server (with armbian below 5.37)? I would like to try them - it really looks like software issue, especially after reading the topic with similar symptoms

I don't keep old images (of too many). Maybe someone of the users has them. Or you can try to install an older kernel from the options.

https://yadi.sk/d/LBA4bXk_32RGZ6

2 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Or you can try to install an older kernel from the options.

that would be great. just do dpkg -i *.deb right? And I need only firmware-aml, linux-dtb, linux-image from the archive or anything else? what about linux-u-boot-amlogic-s905x and linux-stretch-root-amlogic-s905x - shoud I leave them as-is at version 5.37?

2 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Use only *image.deb and * dtb.deb. Package firmware is used for Wi-Fi (if it does not work with the current batch firmware 5.41)

thank you, I will try and report the results in a week (should be enough to reproduce the problem, seems to happen not more than once in three days)

Hello guys,

I've tried to read the topic, but there are too many pages and the older instructions seem to be outdated (at least current s905_autoscript looks very different from those) - is it possible to free reserved memory for the true headless mode in current debian/ubuntu distros? what is suggested steps to achieve this and is the distribution stable if it is done?

On 22.02.2018 at 3:55 PM, chpasha said:

is it possible to free reserved memory for the true headless mode in current debian/ubuntu distros? what is suggested steps to achieve this and is the distribution stable if it is done?

To reduce the size of memory reservations, you need to change the dtb file and the kernel configuration.

On 22.02.2018 at 7:42 PM, windumasta said:

For a khadas Vi, when I try to install armbian on nand I get this trougth Uart

What exact image of Armbian do you use ? What version of the firmware in the eMMC ? What exact model and what dtb file is used ?

Hi there,

I'm having problems trying to boot ubuntu s905 image on my mxq pro plus 2gb/16Gb/s905 - the box won't boot neither from sd nor from usb, it skips them and boots into Android inspite of multiboot being already applied - Libreelec installation boots without problems from SD on this box. My MX Plus box (1gb/8Gb/S905) doesn't have problems with booting from any of those media sources. I tried this distro and dtb images from it (I tried mxqplus, tronsmart meta and dtb from libreelec) without success. Do I miss something?

On 5/6/2016 at 3:59 AM, balbes150 said:

After verification of the selected module, if everything is working correctly, you can add it to the autorun list (add string name of the module in the file /etc/modules).

Can you please be more specific?

Spoiler

Поддерживается ли Armbian для Amlogic S905X аппаратное декодирование видео H264 и H265 HEVC в Kodi?

Is Armbian supported for Amlogic S905X hardware decoding of H264 video and H265 HEVC video in Kodi?

On 28.02.2018 at 6:37 PM, chpasha said:

I'm having problems trying to boot ubuntu s905 image on my mxq pro plus 2gb/16Gb/s905 - the box won't boot neither from sd nor from usb, it skips them and boots into Android inspite of multiboot being already applied - Libreelec installation boots without problems from SD on this box. My MX Plus box (1gb/8Gb/S905) doesn't have problems with booting from any of those media sources. I tried this distro and dtb images from it (I tried mxqplus, tronsmart meta and dtb from libreelec) without success. Do I miss something?

Activate your universal multiboot (using the image of Arabian). Now you use the old multiboot (from the image LE), it can only run images LE.

On 01.03.2018 at 3:48 AM, Eddy_T said:
On 06.05.2016 at 12:59 PM, balbes150 said:

After verification of the selected module, if everything is working correctly, you can add it to the autorun list (add string name of the module in the file /etc/modules).

Can you please be more specific?

sudo cat dhd >> /etc/modules

or

sudo cat wifi_dummy >> /etc/modules

31 minutes ago, doc_bravn said:

Is Armbian supported for Amlogic S905X hardware decoding of H264 video and H265 HEVC video in Kodi?

yes

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Activate your universal multiboot (using the image of Arabian). Now you use the old multiboot (from the image LE), it can only run images LE.

thank you, I'll give it a try.

I also have a problem installing the system to the emmc - /dev/boot and /dev/data do not exist (I did flash a fresh android rom to emmc before trying this)

/usr/sbin/fw_setenv initargs "root=/dev/data rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mac=\${mac}" fails as well with message Cannot parse config file '/etc/fw_env.config': Invalid argument

Can this be a problem with dtb-s for the last 905 ubuntu build with kernel 3.14.79? Installation to the emmc DID work on the previous ubuntu and debian builds with kernel 3.14.29 - so it is not about my box having some exotic emmc structure (actually it is a full clone of vega s95 pro)

2 hours ago, chpasha said:

thank you, I'll give it a try.

I also have a problem installing the system to the emmc - /dev/boot and /dev/data do not exist (I did flash a fresh android rom to emmc before trying this)

/usr/sbin/fw_setenv initargs "root=/dev/data rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mac=\${mac}" fails as well with message Cannot parse config file '/etc/fw_env.config': Invalid argument

Can this be a problem with dtb-s for the last 905 ubuntu build with kernel 3.14.79? Installation to the emmc DID work on the previous ubuntu and debian builds with kernel 3.14.29 - so it is not about my box having some exotic emmc structure (actually it is a full clone of vega s95 pro)

Use the version 3.14.29.

5 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Use the version 3.14.29.

I could, but the problem is that I've already installed, configured and tested everything on a usb stick, hoping to move the system to emmc after that :( - repeating all of this would be really a last resort for me...unless there is an easy way to downgrade to 3.14.29

13 hours ago, balbes150 said:

that did the job, besides that I noticed that my box seems to boot from usb only on usb-port 1 but I didn't investigate further.

regarding installation to emmc I used older deb files from yandex disc to downgrade and used one of older dtbs - that did help

The test version of the KODI-17.6 (for s905\s905x). Important warning. This version is built on Ubuntu, so when you try to install on Debian libraries may not be suitable and you will have to manually install the necessary packages and create the necessary links to these libraries. In the future, I hope to build a deb version of the package for Debian as well. The order of installing the new version on the previous images.

1. To remove all packages with for version 17.3 names that start in aml-* (amremote, mali, kodi).
2. Remove the package "libasound2-plugins" with all its dependencies (**this is important**). Corrected. This item does not need to perform.
3. Restart the system.
4. Install a set of new packages at this link (aml-remote aml-codec aml-mali6 aml-kodi).

https://yadi.sk/d/NoKnDPJL3SxzbK

5. Restart the system.

After these steps, you can test the new version of KODI-17.6.
Please note-this is a test version and there may be errors. You can go back to the previous version of KODI-17.3 (remove the new packages and install old versions of packages).

Update Armband images for s9xxx 20180303 .

In the image with Ubuntu Mate now uses a new version of KODI 17.6 (for s905\s905x).

https://yadi.sk/d/7iYtTCRh3SyBZT

Added new package KODI-17.6 Debian.

Installation order. Remove all packages starting with "aml -*".

Download and install the command "dpkg -i " new packages (aml-amremote_5.41_arm64.deb aml-codec_5.41_arm64.deb aml-mali6_5.41_arm64.deb). 

To install the aml-kodi-debian package, use the command

apt install -f /full_patch/aml-kodi-debian_5.41_arm64.deb

to install all the dependencies.