ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

Just now, Fozzy said:

@balbes150, hello !

What build is the most suitable for daily use, just install, setup and forget about it for months :) ?

It might be easier for him to answer if you tell us what hardware you are running and what you intend to use it for...

1 hour ago, Reddwarf said:

It might be easier for him to answer if you tell us what hardware you are running and what you intend to use it for...

and @balbes150

Nexbox A95x 1/8 gb.

I want to install server apps on it like owncloud, samba, and turn it on for 24/7.

And sometimes watch videos from it.

The requirements are:

1. Stable build.

2. HW video acceleration.

3. Working HDMI and usb ports.

I have managed to run the Mate edition from Mali-5 directory stable on my Mini MXIII and got sound, ethernet and wifi working. If you are gonna watch videos I don't think a server edition will do, I think you need a GUI with X support. I'm not familiar with Nexbox A95 but you could try the same image and find the correct dtb. If it runs I can provide instructions for getting wifi working, but I haven't managed to get Bluetooth working yet.

Edit: Only one USB port is working so far but you can connect a powered hub and connect more devices.

!!!

SOLVED:  After deleting all .lz4 files in /var/lib/apt/lists  the problem was gone  :)

!!!

Hi,

let me first thank @balbes150 for his amazing work!!!

I have a Mecool M8S Pro W with S905W processor. I was able to run this image (no .dtb needed) from a 16 GB sd card:

Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180406.img   (mali6/5.41.1-KODI-17.6 directory)

It boots up fine and I can login to the mate desktop without problems. Cabled network is up and running and I am currently writing this message using the tv box. Both USB ports are working and I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse. The test videos play well and sound is O.K. A great experience so far!

But unfortunately I have a problem when trying to update the system or install new packages. When I type in

sudo apt-get update

I get the following error message

Hit:1 http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial InRelease
Hit:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-security InRelease                 
Hit:3 http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-updates InRelease                  
Hit:4 http://apt.armbian.com xenial InRelease     
Hit:5 http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-backports InRelease
Reading package lists... Error!                   
E: LZ4F: /var/lib/apt/lists/ports.ubuntu.com_dists_xenial-security_multiverse_binary-arm64_Packages.lz4 Unexpected end of file
E: LZ4F: /var/lib/apt/lists/ports.ubuntu.com_dists_xenial-security_multiverse_binary-arm64_Packages.lz4 Read error (18446744073709551615: ERROR_GENERIC)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Since I did not find anything about this problem when using the search function I would be very glad if some of the experts here could help me.

Thank you so much!

Edited by TheMojoMan
I have solved the problem

16 hours ago, TheMojoMan said:

Since I did not find anything about this problem when using the search function I would be very glad if some of the experts here could help me.

Comment out the /etc/apt/sources.list are not working repositories (which cause an error).

Hi @balbes150, thank you for your work. Your images work great in my MXQ PRO 4K s905x 1Gb, but one question: I miss several drivers, and I cannot get working my DVB-T TV Tuner, a Hauppage soloHD, that otherwise works ok in an armbian in a orange PI zero in zetsy.

In the s905x, It shows in lsusb but nothing about dvb in dmesg. in /lib/modules I think there are simply not enough drivers, and the CONFIG file for the kernel perhaps lacks some. Could you release an image with the full suite of drivers? I have tried several kernels, including  4.17.0-rc3-next-20180430?

Thanks @balbes150 for your incredible work.

I try to use my Sunvell T95 (S905x) as a mini NAS with OMV.

I found one of your images  which boots fine : Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_4.17.0-rc1-next-20180420_server.img.xz but it lacks nfsd support.

Where to find this kernel source to compile missing modules ?

Thx

On 5/15/2018 at 6:24 PM, jesuslop said:

Hi @balbes150, thank you for your work. Your images work great in my MXQ PRO 4K s905x 1Gb, but one question: I miss several drivers, and I cannot get working my DVB-T TV Tuner, a Hauppage soloHD, that otherwise works ok in an armbian in a orange PI zero in zetsy.

In the s905x, It shows in lsusb but nothing about dvb in dmesg. in /lib/modules I think there are simply not enough drivers, and the CONFIG file for the kernel perhaps lacks some. Could you release an image with the full suite of drivers? I have tried several kernels, including  4.17.0-rc3-next-20180430? 

Many drivers come with their own sources (they are added separately to the common core). I do not have such equipment, so you need to try to collect the desired version of the core on your TV box. All sources of the kernel I use are freely available. You can take the kernel sources and add your driver sources from the PI Zero kernel to them.

10 hours ago, Chris4arm said:

I found one of your images  which boots fine : Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_4.17.0-rc1-next-20180420_server.img.xz but it lacks nfsd support.

Where to find this kernel source to compile missing modules ? 

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/

Update images version 5.44_20180515.

Please note that the content of MATE\Xfce has changed. Now there is no KODI in the composition of these images. KODI packages with dependencies are in separate directories on the site. To install them, you need to download all the files from the desired directory and install manually (with the appropriate commands "dpkg -i" and "apt install -f").

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Update images version 5.44_20180515.

Please note that the content of MATE\Xfce has changed. Now there is no KODI in the composition of these images. KODI packages with dependencies are in separate directories on the site. To install them, you need to download all the files from the desired directory and install manually (with the appropriate commands "dpkg -i" and "apt install -f").

@balbes150, thanks for the new version!

In this version everything is working?

14 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Thanks, unfortunately there is a little version mismatch on the compiled modules :

[ 3100.166218] nfsd: version magic '4.17.0-rc1-next-20180420 SMP preempt mod_unload aarch64' should be '4.17.0-rc1-next-20180420-amlogics905x SMP preempt mod_unload aarch64'

Where do the "-amlogics905x" come from ?

13 hours ago, jesuslop said:

Once that I have compiled a customized kernel, how would I tell the bootloader to boot from it?

This depends on where the system is located - in the eMMC or on external media.

13 hours ago, Fozzy said:

In this version everything is working?

What does that mean, everyone ?

9 hours ago, Chris4arm said:

Thanks, unfortunately there is a little version mismatch on the compiled modules :

[ 3100.166218] nfsd: version magic '4.17.0-rc1-next-20180420 SMP preempt mod_unload aarch64' should be '4.17.0-rc1-next-20180420-amlogics905x SMP preempt mod_unload aarch64'

Where do the "-amlogics905x" come from ?

You must either compile modules using headers from the installed kernel (not using sources from GIT), or you must build a completely new kernel from new sources and install it instead of the current kernel.

16 hours ago, jesuslop said:

I'd wish to boot a customized kernel from the SD-card (were I flashed the image).

If the build is done on the TV box itself, copy the "Image" file from the SRC_KERNEL/arch/arm64/boot directory to /boot and rename it to "zImage". If you changed the kernel modules, follow their installation with "make", and follow all staff commands to update the initrd.

@balbes150 thank you!

I have a box MXQ PRO 4K S905W P281 and tried kernel 3.14  and 4.16. They both works but:

In kernel 3.14 Usb 3.0 is not working, so 3 from 4 Usb ports are not working. Only the usb 2.0 port is ok. The usb3 hub is listed in lsusb.

In kernel 4.16 all usb ports are ok, all connected devices are listed in lsusb, but devices like usb bluetooth or usb hspda modem are not working. These devices are listed correctly in lsusb but are not creating ttyUSB ports. In modprobe usbserial is missing. 

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the problem in kernel 3.14 or 4.16?

10 hours ago, Marco345 said:

@balbes150 thank you!

I have a box MXQ PRO 4K S905W P281 and tried kernel 3.14  and 4.16. They both works but:

In kernel 3.14 Usb 3.0 is not working, so 3 from 4 Usb ports are not working. Only the usb 2.0 port is ok. The usb3 hub is listed in lsusb.

In kernel 4.16 all usb ports are ok, all connected devices are listed in lsusb, but devices like usb bluetooth or usb hspda modem are not working. These devices are listed correctly in lsusb but are not creating ttyUSB ports. In modprobe usbserial is missing. 

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the problem in kernel 3.14 or 4.16?

s905w Don't support usb 3.0 on soc level ) Try other dtb

I am using a Dtb file that i have extracted from android firmware for this device. That is the only dtb file that the emmc is recognized. I have tried with other dtb files for p201 p212 and other but the usb problems are the same. I have even tried to edit the dtb files combining values from different dtbs but without success. Have anyone success with any dtb for this device?

As far as I know, the s905w chip does not have a built-in USB 3.0. So the manufacturer could install an additional external chip. The driver for kernel 3.14 you need to ask the manufacturer or the seller.

I get the following in lsusb command 

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Devices connected to Bus 001 are working.

Does it mean that there is usb3 root hub inside, or there is something wrong with the DTB file?

I have checked all devices like mine in internet, and all seems to have USB 2 Hi-speed, not USB 3. 

dmesg for this device is  

[    2.618612] amlogic-new-usb2 d0078000.usb2phy: USB2 phy probe:phy_mem:0xd0078000, iomap phy_base:0xffffff800059a000
[    2.618896] amlogic-new-usb3 d0078080.usb3phy: This phy has no usb port
[    2.618931] amlogic-new-usb3 d0078080.usb3phy: USB3 phy probe:phy_mem:0xd0078080, iomap phy_base:0xffffff800059c080

Added the image of Armbian Bionic Mate. There are bugs in this image. You need to manually add the panel "Mate Bar". The Bionic-deb directory contains packages with two variants of KODI. For both versions you must install the packages aml and "aml-codec" and "aml-mali7". "aml-amremote" package is needed for remote control operation in KODI-17 version.

13 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I don't understand the question.

KODI-18 is going from the official GIT.

What I mean is: Is video processing going to improve for Armbian builds with Kodi 18 upgrades for VDPAU and AMLCodecs?

One problem with Armbian builds seems to be that Android has better video hardware acceleration support for Kodi. I think this is true for S905 but don't know for RK3229/later versions. 

Maybe video acceleration on Armbian and Android are same at lower resolutions and compression like h264/720p?

1 hour ago, Reddwarf said:

Maybe stupid question but should I use the Mali-5 image(s) when my box has a Mali-450 GPU?

yep, it's just different version of libmali(mali-5...mali-7)

@shippy What kind of problems do you have in kodi?  I see low cpu usage in h264/1080p so hw decoding and acceleration work correct in armbian/kodi