ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

On 9/5/2018 at 7:24 PM, lizzacore said:

I have a new issue, only a small thing.

I don't now if this needed or can be fixed but when please give me an advice to do so.

grep "armbian-zram" /var/log/daemon.log

Sep  5 19:56:46 S905xNAS systemd[1]: armbian-zram-config.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Sep  5 19:56:46 S905xNAS systemd[1]: armbian-zram-config.service: Unit entered failed state.

Sep  5 19:56:46 S905xNAS systemd[1]: armbian-zram-config.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

No Swap, no l4z and no zram?

If this is required for something?

I read about it but I don't know.

No zram shouldn't be too much on an issue but the reason (for 4.18.0-aml-s9xxx based kernels) your seeing this is that no zram.ko kernel module has been built (see /boot/config-4.18.0-aml-s9xxx).

I've compiled the kernel from soruce http://github.com/150balbes/ to build some additional modules and zram builds and loads. I'm no expert on zram but it seems to be operational when loaded at boot on my Aml system, giving compressed swap.
I assume kernel stability issues are the reasons zram has not been included in the current kernel .config

Hi all,

i have a Mecool M8s Pro+  (905x) and have tried

Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180925.img.xz

and

Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img.xz

After using the update function/app in the box , the box is restarting but is stuck at the MECOOL logo.

what im doing wrong?

Hi there,

I own a x96mini, S905W version.

As I'm a bit dumb, I did installed linux into eMMC, and did not backup before...

Now I'd like to return to android, but I can't find any image ?

Do any of you have a backup ? Or any image I could reflash to get the device back to android ?

Thanks !

1 hour ago, napo7 said:

I own a x96mini, S905W version.

As I'm a bit dumb, I did installed linux into eMMC, and did not backup before...

Now I'd like to return to android, but I can't find any image ?

Do any of you have a backup ? Or any image I could reflash to get the device back to android ?

What version did you install on eMMC ?

2 hours ago, napo7 said:

As far I can remember, it should be a debian server 5.34...

When I power up the x96 mini without USB or SD Card, it directly goes in linux.

When using the 3.14 kernel, the regular u-boot is retained. You can restore the firmware via USB Burn Tool. Details of how to do it will find this topic in the cap threads a bunch of different firmware versions.

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=848620

Thanks for you reply !

I've found the stock image in the link, but I haven't understood how to flash it :

I got an img file, should I just flash it on a micro sd card and then start the box while pushing the "reset" button ?

On 10/3/2018 at 11:51 PM, androtolin said:

Hi all,

i have a Mecool M8s Pro+  (905x) and have tried

Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180925.img.xz

and

Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img.xz

After using the update function/app in the box , the box is restarting but is stuck at the MECOOL logo.

what im doing wrong?

I got it working...it seems that this box can only handle the 3.14 kernel

I want to use Armbian 5.60 server with my Mini Mx 16G/2G. but, I don't know proper dtb. I copied gxbb p200_2G 1Gbit.dtb from libreelec 7.x-8.x. but, I didn't work.

I designated dtb/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb into uenv.ini and It booted successfully. but, Ethernet didn't work. Do I need to compile for Mini Mx 16/2G? or, just I didn't find proper dtb?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, cooldaddy said:

I designated dtb/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb into uenv.ini and It booted successfully. but, Ethernet didn't work. Do I need to compile for Mini Mx 16/2G? or, just I didn't find proper dtb?

Try DTB available, ate will not find work, you need to collect your own version DTB.

I tried to install the new version in my Wetek play 2, but it didnt boot.

Is there any secret step to make it work?

I installed it in a microsd. Then I copied the wetekplay2 dtb to /boot and rename it. Then I copied the boot.ini into /boot.

After that, nothing works.

How can I run the new version on wetek play 2?

20 minutes ago, gravatasufoca said:

I tried to install the new version in my Wetek play 2, but it didnt boot.

Is there any secret step to make it work?

I installed it in a microsd. Then I copied the wetekplay2 dtb to /boot and rename it. Then I copied the boot.ini into /boot.

After that, nothing works.

I did not quite understand, did you copy the wetek dtb to the root directory of the SD card and rename it to dtb.img?

I've finally got more or less linux compatible tv box - x96 (1Gb/8Gb model, based on s905x soc). Managed to run armbian on it. Have a couple of question:

1). Sound works, but only via hdmi. Is there a way to make it to work via av-output?

2). WiFi does not work out of the box. Is there a way to make it to work? 8189etv chip.

3). It seems, any disk activity slows down the system, or more like frezees the system. Is there as way to remove those freezes? Running browser in GUI is almost impossible, some simple web pages freeze tv box for minutes almost completely... :(

Anyone succeed booting odroid c2 images on s905x?

Latest image (from june) has full chromium acceleration and native kodi 30fps@4k (if i understood correctly because i still can't figure which libmali is for kodi, which for chromium etc...).

I tried to compile hardkernels odroid kernel, but can't figure what to change to boot, it compile, but never boots. When i put my dtb which i'm using for armbian, it stuck to bootloader screen. Also with any other p212 dtb, even from android.

When i'm using latest armbian 3.14 kernel, image boots and because i didn't install modules for 3.14, i'm getting prompt without X.

To boot C2 system/kerenl i used @balbes150 boot partition with modified uEnv.ini with bootargs form odroid boot.ini and renamed kernel and initrd.

Actually real question is are this images really faster and better support mali 450 than armbian?

I will buy soon faster and bigger sdcard, hope that when i enable swap that at least youtube will work with standard armbian images.

1 hour ago, zogu said:

Latest image (from june) has full chromium acceleration and native kodi 30fps@4k (if i understood correctly because i still can't figure which libmali is for kodi, which for chromium etc...).

I tried to compile hardkernels odroid kernel, but can't figure what to change to boot, it compile, but never boots. When i put my dtb which i'm using for armbian, it stuck to bootloader screen. Also with any other p212 dtb, even from android.

When i'm using latest armbian 3.14 kernel, image boots and because i didn't install modules for 3.14, i'm getting prompt without X.

To boot C2 system/kerenl i used @balbes150 boot partition with modified uEnv.ini with bootargs form odroid boot.ini and renamed kernel and initrd.

Actually real question is are this images really faster and better support mali 450 than armbian?

I will buy soon faster and bigger sdcard, hope that when i enable swap that at least youtube will work with standard armbian images.

It's bad idea use swap on microsd, bad for sd card) youtube now work with standart armbian image, it use psd and store cache and profile in tmpfs... If you disable in chromium settings all kind hw acceleration it can smoooth play 720p in youtube with software decoding... 

On 10/11/2018 at 2:04 AM, gravatasufoca said:

What's the "new version"?

On 10/11/2018 at 10:22 PM, flm said:

I've finally got more or less linux compatible tv box - x96 (1Gb/8Gb model, based on s905x soc). Managed to run armbian on it. Have a couple of question:

1). Sound works, but only via hdmi. Is there a way to make it to work via av-output?

2). WiFi does not work out of the box. Is there a way to make it to work? 8189etv chip.

3). It seems, any disk activity slows down the system, or more like frezees the system. Is there as way to remove those freezes? Running browser in GUI is almost impossible, some simple web pages freeze tv box for minutes almost completely...

The version of the image ? The medium from which the system starts ? 1Gb of RAM is not enough for full-fledged work of graphic DE.

22 hours ago, zogu said:

Odroid uses its kernel version for S905 (not X), it is not compatible with S905X\S912.

11 hours ago, balbes150 said:

The version of the image ? The medium from which the system starts ? 1Gb of RAM is not enough for full-fledged work of graphic DE.

Tried multiple versions. Now running latest armbian 5.62 based on ubuntu bionic server. Running from usb2.0 flash stick (tried with faster usb3.0 flash stick - did not work for me). I do understand it's not enough for full-fledged work. But opening 1 web page in browser should not (basically) freeze this hardware for like 10 minutes, i think.