ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

10 hours ago, flm said:

Tried multiple versions. Now running latest armbian 5.62 based on ubuntu bionic server. Running from usb2.0 flash stick (tried with faster usb3.0 flash stick - did not work for me). I do understand it's not enough for full-fledged work. But opening 1 web page in browser should not (basically) freeze this hardware for like 10 minutes, i think.

Another reason for the slow performance - poor cooling. This is the problem of almost all cheap TV boxes. Linux uses all the resources of the device and therefore requires a good heat sink for normal operation.

10 hours ago, flm said:

ubuntu bionic server.

10 hours ago, flm said:

But opening 1 web page in browser

????

11 hours ago, flm said:

Tried multiple versions. Now running latest armbian 5.62 based on ubuntu bionic server. Running from usb2.0 flash stick (tried with faster usb3.0 flash stick - did not work for me). I do understand it's not enough for full-fledged work. But opening 1 web page in browser should not (basically) freeze this hardware for like 10 minutes, i think.

If you use browser, under x11... No matter install it from repo in server image or use desktop version image... It's hard for 1gb ram(in real use even less - some for gpu reserv, some for tmpfs). Partial solution use armhf browser instead arm64, it's utilize less ram in some case arm64 use more than x2. Also disable and don't load pulse, install light wm instead xfce etc.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, Reddwarf said:

You'll just have to try different dtb's.

I got it working.

I used the wetek play 2 dtb.

But to make it work I had to change the uEnv file. 

I set the wetek play 2 dtb path in uEnv file.

Maybe They should add those infos in the first page, cause I got it working editing a file that is not mentioned on the first page.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Another reason for the slow performance - poor cooling. This is the problem of almost all cheap TV boxes. Linux uses all the resources of the device and therefore requires a good heat sink for normal operation.

????

Cooling is not a problem. Problem is poor io performance. Yes, i installed desktop environment on server, what's wrong with that?

4 hours ago, talraash said:

If you use browser, under x11... No matter install it from repo in server image or use desktop version image... It's hard for 1gb ram(in real use even less - some for gpu reserv, some for tmpfs). Partial solution use armhf browser instead arm64, it's utilize less ram in some case arm64 use more than x2. Also disable and don't load pulse, install light wm instead xfce etc.

I don't think memory is the main issue here. 800+Mb is perfectly fine for simple tasks like opening 1 simple web page in a browser.

10 minutes ago, flm said:

Cooling is not a problem. Problem is poor io performance. Yes, i installed desktop environment on server, what's wrong with that?

I don't think memory is the main issue here. 800+Mb is perfectly fine for simple tasks like opening 1 simple web page in a browser.

in my test, some light web page take a more that 500mb ram usage on arm64 broowser  And chromium by default in armbian use psd and cache in tmpfs(but not sure server images have config for chromium or not), so easy can use more that 800mb for "only one tab". And yo don't have 800... xfce4 - 150+reserv from gpu 200?+tmpfs...

23 hours ago, gravatasufoca said:

Maybe They should add those infos in the first page, cause I got it working editing a file that is not mentioned on the first page. 

22 hours ago, Rosimildo said:

I guess it would be very helpful, if someone could build a table with the Box model, the DTB file used, and the status. 

Do and all say thank you.

22 hours ago, flm said:

Yes, i installed desktop environment on server, what's wrong with that? 

Desktop versions are optimized to work in this mode.

Odroid uses its kernel version for S905 (not X), it is not compatible with S905X\S912.

What about mali, is it same? I know hardkernel bought mali DDK, is any difference between armbian and odroid's ubuntu?
When i boot odroid c2 images with your kernel and modules from 5.41.1 image (i think that is version i used with support for mali 6) and generated uInit for this kernel, system boot without error, but there is no acceleration.
Even mali Api number is same in both kernel (800).
If acceleration is same i will not bother any more with odroid images, i will wait for fully working 4.xx images.
I only need full screen videos from browser, i have this (almost perfect) in android.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

On 10/9/2018 at 8:42 PM, jeanrhum said:

I'm currently running a Beelink GT1 ultimate (S912, 3Go DDR4, 32Go) with your armbian 5.37 based on 3.14.29 debian stretch without specifying any dtb file.  It is used as a server with openmediavault and homeassistant. I'm running armbian from sd card.

I just made upgrades and got armbian-config 5.64 with an uptime of 70 days.

Hi 

I'm trying to install Armbian on my GT1 Ultimate but it's not working "Out of the box".

I've used : Armbian_5.62_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181018.img that I've found here : https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei

The USB are not connected after the first boot : usb port 1 (or 2) connect-debounce failed

Which IMG did you used ?

31 minutes ago, stadros83 said:

Which IMG did you used ?

Spoiler

really? you quote message with "armbian 5.37 based on 3.14.29" And ask quesions... upd it's not my post but it's clear write that you can use out of box image with kernel 3.14... Is it hard?)

As mentionned by talraash, I use 5.37 which use kernel 3.14. I don't do anything special, but the dtb from android is used since and I don't put anyone at the root of the sd card.

The dtb from android (generally based on a 3.xx kernel for amlogic. soc) is often not compatible with kernel 4.x.

Hello balbes150

First of all I would like to thank you for your decent work you do.

Now I would like to report you a problem I have.

i own a x96 tv box 2gb ram 16gb rom (p212). I successfully installed in nand your version Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.19.0-rc7_20181019. The problem I get is that the system sees 838mb of ram total. I have 2gb of ram. What can I do to fix that? I am totally newbie on Linux and afterwards I installed the image on nand you probably understand that I can’t go backwards on android and I would like to get the most of my hardware working correctly on Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Dimitriosr said:

Hello balbes150

First of all I would like to thank you for your decent work you do.

Now I would like to report you a problem I have.

i own a x96 tv box 2gb ram 16gb rom (p212). I successfully installed in nand your version Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.19.0-rc7_20181019. The problem I get is that the system sees 838mb of ram total. I have 2gb of ram. What can I do to fix that? I am totally newbie on Linux and afterwards I installed the image on nand you probably understand that I can’t go backwards on android and I would like to get the most of my hardware working correctly on Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.

1. Why you don't read first message in this topic? About nand and backup with ddbr. 2. Use correct dtb.

upd 3. Wrong topic you kernel 4.19 and this topic fo 3.14

9 hours ago, Dimitriosr said:

Only one is booting and that one gives me only  838mb of ram!

1. Run Armbian version with kernel 3.14 from external media (SD card or USB flash drive). And look how much RAM there is.

2. If there is also 1GB of RAM, then your model does not have 2 GB , open the case and check the marking of chips or contact the seller.

3. If you have a firmware file with Android, you can restore the system to its original state using a USB cable and a firmware program.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

1. Run Armbian version with kernel 3.14 from external media (SD card or USB flash drive). And look how much RAM there is.

2. If there is also 1GB of RAM, then your model does not have 2 GB , open the case and check the marking of chips or contact the seller.

3. If you have a firmware file with Android, you can restore the system to its original state using a USB cable and a firmware program.

Thank you Balbes150 I will try it

1 hour ago, Saurabh said:

Hi , can anyone tell me from where I can get the dtb: gxl_p242_2g.dtb file for my s905x board?  

After you burn the image file to your sd open the boot directory of your card and locate the folder dtb and search in that folder.

22 minutes ago, Dimitriosr said:

After you burn the image file to your sd open the boot directory of your card and locate the folder dtb and search in that folder.

I did that, I  gxl_212 and gxl230 and gxl 231 but 241 isn't there

5 minutes ago, talraash said:

Yo find p241 or p242? p242 doesn't exist, but 241 it't reference board for new s805x soc, not s905x 

Sorry It was 242, I checked that via console and it showed 242. But will double check again since you said it doesn't exist.

11 minutes ago, Saurabh said:

Sorry It was 242, I checked that via console and it showed 242. But will double check again since you said it doesn't exist.

It maybe code for some s905x fork, like s905m, s905d or other.. 

I checked myself... but i can't find any mention about this code for board on amlogic soc. But in libreelec topic some people say, thath use device tree from p212 and it work fine.

1 hour ago, talraash said:

I checked myself... but i can't find any mention about this code for board on amlogic soc. But in libreelec topic some people say, thath use device tree from p212 and it work fine. 

You can just about  s805x = s905x

2 hours ago, zogu said:

@jeanrhum What is the difference between 5.37 and newer version, for example 5.41 with mali6?

Since I upgrade frequently, I think there is not too much difference. Armbian tools and firmware are updated as other packages. Of course there should be some specific modifications of Balbes after each update he made.

If 5.41 has mali, it is useless for me since I use my box as a server.

@balbes150 If i flash your u-boot (some previous version, not the last one), can i somehow add support for power on/off with remote control? I have nexbox nougat firmware in my box and this is the best firmware, but currently remote power on/off does not work. I mostly use armbian, but still need remote for power on.
In android dtb there is remote config which i didn't modify because i think it is only for android when it is booted, but it is not problem to edit and recompile dts.
Also one more question. I tried many armbian version and here is the report:
5.41.1 mali 6 ubuntu mate, mate is unstable (sound and wifi applet always crash), chromium is fast and youtube works as it should except in full screen when stutter a lot. Kodi does not work, didn't look ak a log.
For me best version.
5.41.1 mali 6 debian xfce, xfce works perfectly, chromium unusable, kodi does not start. Also with all debian versions, probably xfce needs more memory then mate, i have only 1gb.
5.44, latest kernel. Similar to 5.41, mate unstable, can't install chromium because of unmet dependencies, kodi is working, firefox plays youtube, but i like more chromium, it is faster.
Question is simple, what is your favorite version? I never tried Icewm, maybe i should?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk