ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

5 minutes ago, David Markey said:

Yeah this was working for months with whatever DTB so must be eMMC problem. Is this box for the garbage?

Start the system from external media and try to check the file system in the eMMC. You may need to reinstall.

2 hours ago, David Markey said:

Sorry for being annoying, but how can I do that? It doesn't seem to happen automatically when I insert the SD card? I dont have serial access as the the pads are too small

What is the image trying ? What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ? What is the exact version of the image installed on the eMMC ?

What media are you trying to use (sd or USB) ?

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

What is the image trying ? What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ? What is the exact version of the image installed on the eMMC ?

What is the image trying ?

Armbian_5.71_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_20190118.img.xz

What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ?

I remember not having to install a DTB because everything worked out of the box.

What is the exact version of the image installed on the eMMC ?

I believe it was the 5.34 server image.

I have tried both but it is either not booting at all or booting from MMC and oopsing..

1 minute ago, David Markey said:

Armbian_5.71_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_20190118.img.xz 

What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ?

I remember not having to install a DTB because everything worked out of the box.

All images with kernel 4.x require that you configure the dtb.

6 minutes ago, David Markey said:

I have tried Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.40_server_20171112.img via USB. I can see activity on the USB disk but the screen stays blank.... Is USB or SD card better in this scenario?

For all images except the older versions with kernel 3.14.29 it is necessary to configure the dtb (according to the recommendations for each option, please note that the recommendations are different for each kernel). For the 4.9 kernel, you must configure the dtb.

In your case (potential problems with eMMC) you need to configure all images to use dtb from external media (including kernel 3.14.29).

What do you mean by "configure the dtb"?

You mean, to copy the appropriate file from the dtbs directory to dtb.img (or use that envini script to point to the right file)?

Or something else?

Because we already needed to do that on 3.14 kernels.

6 hours ago, C0NPAQ said:

What do you mean by "configure the dtb"?

You mean, to copy the appropriate file from the dtbs directory to dtb.img (or use that envini script to point to the right file)?

Or something else?

Because we already needed to do that on 3.14 kernels. 

Of different versions of the kernel and image version Armbian has its own rules adjusted to the correct DTB. Refer to the appropriate topics.

I am Running Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181218 on an MAGICSEE N4 TV Box (meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb)

The box runs quite fine, i am very impressed. Thanks a lot for your work.

I am struggling to change the resolution of the HDMI out. on my full HD screen it runs fine, but i want tu run it on my 1024x768 screen via an DVI Adapter.

Can't find the hdmi.sh script mentioned on the first page.

Thanks a lot

Johannes

3 hours ago, (Jo)Hannes said:

I am Running Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181218 on an MAGICSEE N4 TV Box (meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb)

The box runs quite fine, i am very impressed. Thanks a lot for your work.

I am struggling to change the resolution of the HDMI out. on my full HD screen it runs fine, but i want tu run it on my 1024x768 screen via an DVI Adapter.

Can't find the hdmi.sh script mentioned on the first page.

Thanks a lot

Johannes

(ver 5.44 =<) For mainline just use regular method via xorg parametrs, or if you use desktop standart xfce4 instrumments in settings.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, talraash said:

(ver 5.44 =<) For mainline just use regular method via xorg parametrs, or if you use desktop standart xfce4 instrumments in settings.

I already tried that with different resolutions on different Screens, but all resolutions look like this:

only 1080p works fine. Always need to delete the xfce settings after changing, as there is no way to set it back to normal afterwords...

Any Ideas?

IMG_20190210_103809.jpg

@balbes150 I just installed Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_4.18.0-rc5_server_20180806 on my S905X, armbian runs ok so far, however i would like set this box as tvheadend server only i have 2 dvb-s usb tuners TECHNOTREND TT-connect S2-4600, installed tvh from repo, but under adapters i dont see my tuners, also i get this:

koxy@aml:~$ sudo systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of systemd-modules-load.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service.d
           └─10-timeout.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-02-11 09:43:21 UTC; 4min 20s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 1659 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 1659 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd-modules-load[1659]: Failed to find module 'aml_nftl_dev'
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

There is firmware for this tuners in /lib/firmware/dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw. Any tips how to sorted out ?

EDIT: After Armbian_5.75_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.5_20190211.img install, everything is sorted out, S905X working np with 2x DVB-S, even with HD channels working very good. Thanks balbes !

Hello,

Thank 150balles for his/her hard work.

I've been able to install Debian on my coolme mb1 (S905X) !

(If that helps somebody, I had to try several usb key as some of them weren't able to boot despite being flag as bootable.)

I've searched but didn't find my answer: How to recompile armbian kernel on S905X ? I would like to add kernel modules.

I've found this https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel but:

1. I'm not sure if that are the sources I must use ?
  2. Where can I find the .config currently used ?
  3. Once compiled, how to place it into /boot for armbian to boot ?

Thank for the answers.

1 hour ago, Amaury Decreme said:

I've searched but didn't find my answer: How to recompile armbian kernel on S905X ? I would like to add kernel modules.

Thank for the answers.

The answers are in this forum but

1. see https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7930-armbian-for-amlogic-s9xxx-kernel-41x-ver-555/?do=findComment&comment=68879
2. see /boot/config* on the target tv box.
3. depending on changes, you just copy from the buildhost modules into /lib once you've tested them and copy arch/arm64/boot /Image.gz to /boot/zImage

15 hours ago, Amaury Decreme said:

Hello,

Thank for the answers.

Check the HOWTO's here:

http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-howto-native-compile-kernel

http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-howto-compile-kernel

And all the kernel compilation related pages here: http://wiki.loverpi.com/sbc:libre-computer-aml-s805x-ac

1. I suggest you use the patched kernels from Oleg (balbes150 on Github).

2. cat /proc/config.gz

3. Explained here: http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-install-newly-compiled-kernel

Thank you dbsharpe and AndrewDB, I succeed recompiling the kernel and rebooting on it.

For anyone interested here is the step I followed using the previous guides 

git clone https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel.git
cd Amlogic_s905-kernel

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf libtool cmake pkg-config git python-dev swig3.0 libpcre3-dev nodejs-dev gawk wget diffstat bison flex device-tree-compiler libncurses5-dev

make distclean
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make menuconfig

make -j3 Image modules dtbs
sudo make modules_install
sudo cp /boot/zImage /boot/zImage.bak
sudo cp arch/arm64/boot/Image /boot/zImage
sudo reboot

9 hours ago, andybuks said:

Hi, there
Which dtd should i use for T95z Max (not plus)?
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/T95Z-Max-Amlogic-S912-Android-7-1-3GB-32GB-TV-BOX-398850.html
I tried to boot Armbian with q200, q201 but dint't get ethernet working

Thank you

Your box uses S912 with Gigabit interface. So you should try all the gxm dtb's, except q200 and q201 which are for 100Mb/s ethernet. Also you can try Armbian versions > 5.44 with meson-gxm-*.dtb's, again except q200 and q201.

2 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Your box uses S912 with Gigabit interface. So you should try all the gxm dtb's, except q200 and q201 which are for 100Mb/s ethernet. Also you can try Armbian versions > 5.44 with meson-gxm-*.dtb's, again except q200 and q201.

that sounds interesting, because my Sunvel T95K Pro should have 1000M Ethernet, but when I extracted the .dtbs from the update-image there are only 2 q201 dtb's.
Because of this I only used the q201 dtb's from balbes150 images  - and got no working ethernet (externally useable but eth0 internally in the shell).

So I will try some other gxm dtb's :)

[EDIT]

I did check with the other 1000M-gxm-dtb files AND :)  the 1000M Ethernet-Port is working now!
Many thanks to @AndrewDB for this information ;)

in 2 of 4 dtb-files I got also a working wlan0 (not by nexbox dtb) and in 3 of 4 of the dtb-files a working 1000M Ethernet on the Sunvell T95K Pro.

The rbox-pro dtb would restart fine - only did get green stripes at boot (DRAM Clock to high?)

For the other I had to copy over the brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt to the name of the board-sdio.txt-name::

meson-gxm-nexbox-a1.dtb
(no wlan0)

meson-gxm-rbox-pro.dtb
(boot=green stripes screen)

meson-gxm-vega-s96.dtb     brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.tronsmart,vega-s96.txt

meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dtb  brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.khadas,vim2.txt

cp /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.khadas,vim2.txt

Now I do use the meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dtb, because there I also do get a working LED for the heartbeat:

echo 'heartbeat' > /sys/class/leds/vim:red:power/trigger

So - wlan0 and eth0 is working now, but I dont know why the system is (in every working combination) is searching for
brcmfmac4330-sdio.clm_blob :

[   10.257129] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio for chip BCM4330/4
[   10.257336] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[   10.607868] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio for chip BCM4330/4

[   10.607972] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.clm_blob failed with error -2

[   10.607982] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: no clm_blob available (err=-2), device may have limited channels available
[   10.614911] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4330/4 wl0: Oct 25 2011 19:34:12 version 5.90.125.104

On the internet I do only found the follwoing block (for another chipset) :
brcmfmac43455-sdio.clm_blob

Hi all!

I tried to install this release on both a MXQ PRO 4K (S905w?) and a H96 PRO PLUS (S912). After the double reboot I get no video signal from the boxes. I tried multiple dtbs and nothing. Could it be because I'm using AV? Maybe it will work with HDMI?

Thank you!

OK, I managed to ssh into the S912 box.

I tried running a /boot/hdmi.sh script to set the mode to 576cvbs (although what I need is 480cvbs) but no luck.

I don't have a /dev/fb0 so hdmi.sh fails.

How can I get the display to work (AV) ? Help please!

2 hours ago, geraldog said:

OK, I managed to ssh into the S912 box.

I tried running a /boot/hdmi.sh script to set the mode to 576cvbs (although what I need is 480cvbs) but no luck.

I don't have a /dev/fb0 so hdmi.sh fails.

How can I get the display to work (AV) ? Help please!

Build your DTB option with your hardware included.

Hi @balbes150 ! Thank you for your prompt reply and thank you for this wonderful release!!

I managed to boot the display using an HDMI->VGA adapter and an old CRT monitor.

So I won't even ask how to build a DTB that supports AV...

What's bothering me now is I don't have wifi. When I try to modprobe the modules you have indicated, I get module not found in the /lib/modules/5.0.2-aml-s905 directory.

Why's that?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for quite sometime as I've been using these boxes for vpn server and client. (S905x and S905w)

I'm planning to install debain server to eMMC as it will be more reliable than sdCARD. My questions are:

1. After backing up the original firmware how do I restore it in case something went wrong?

2. After installing debian to eMMC does sdcard still the first boot priority? (Incase I screwup something and wanted to clean install)

3. I assume if I'm on the latest version of Armbian and the DTB that comes with it, it should install just fine?

Cheers.