ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

2 hours ago, ropod7 said:

I've found proper dts in your kernel repo for s912 with 3gig of ram named *s912*. balbes150, may you push them to your Armbian builds?

Would be better.

I will try to rebuild kernel-5.1.9 with your dts files. On the 5.1.0 works great, USB etc and dmesg output near of complete and clean (without many modules and drivers [smile]).

Kernel 3.14 is deprecated and is no longer supported. Therefore, there will be no more changes or new images with this kernel.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:58 AM, anonymox said:

Hi @balbes150,

I flashed Debian 5.77 to my SDcard. It booted ok with my new TX3 mini (type A).

But now, when I ejected the SDcard from box, I can't boot to Android anymore. It stucked at device's booting logo.

I dont't install Armbian to eMMC. Just boot from SDcard and than eject it. Currently, I still can boot to SDcard, but Android is not. The only way to back to Android is re-flash the Android firmware.

I used "dmesg | grep mmc" command to check my device is eMMC or NAND, I found this: mmc2: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001

Can you help me? How to dual boot?

Is your problem with tx3-mini (Type A) solved yet? coz I have the same model here 

Hello does armbian support video output through AVout Composite connector? My HDMI is somehow damaged and won't work so I use composite. I configured user through SSH and linux seems to be booted but it sends black screen through Composite out. I have SSH connection and can use sudo but screen on AV is black.

Kernel 5 is discussed in another topic.
Hi, i have tx3-mini model, success with initial setup but i can't get into desktop, i've setup dtb file to tx3-mini but still no success get into desktop.

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

For anyone getting stuck with their box, Ive written a guide, that covers the following:

Example of setting up a system

• Example Setup on a MeCool M8S PRO w (Change your DTB file in uEnv.ini and extlinux.conf for other boxes).
    - Hardware you need
    - Software/Downloads
  • Setting it up
    - Steps to image your SD Card/USB stick from a Windows PC
    - Installing onto the MeCool M8S PRO w (Or any other box assuming youve changed the DTB)
  • Congratulations - If you reach here you will have a working Armbian server.

Booting Problems and getting your system to boot

• Booting off SD/USB problems.
  • uEnv.ini and extlinux.conf (Required for booting Armbian)
    - Editing the files and picking the right DTB.
    - What do these 2 files do and why cant I boot off emmc internal ram?
    - What should the files look like?
  • Installing onto emmc/NAND - The internal hard drive of the TV box.
  • LOST.DIR, System Volume Information and Android folders cause problems booting off eMMC/NAND.

What to do if you brick your device.

• Ive done something and now my box wont boot/stuck on a splash screen/is a brick what do I do?
    - Getting the system recovered - notes
    - Doing the recovery

Bootable Backups (can be used to migrate to another TV Box too)

• Backing up if you are using SD card/USB stick for booting/running Armbian OS
    - You will need the following to do this
    - How to get things setup and do it (create/restore your image)
  • Backing up if you are using emmc/NAND for booting/running Armbian OS
    - You will need the following to do this
    - Option A and Option B
    - How can I tell Ive booted from my Backup SD card? 
    - What have we actually just done?
    - What can I do with my imaged SD card?

I dont expect to answer every question/solve every problem, but it perhaps centralizes a lot of questions/answers people seem to keep asking on the forum.

@Janaboy Thanks, and glad it helped!!

Im working on a slightly updated guide... and potentially going to collate a list/database of DTB files/boxes and what works/doesnt work (HDMI, WiFi etc) so its a bit easier to figure which DTB file to use... So Ill post something on that in the future!

20 minutes ago, erew said:

Im working on a slightly updated guide... and potentially going to collate a list/database of DTB files/boxes and what works/doesnt work (HDMI, WiFi etc) so its a bit easier to figure which DTB file to use... So Ill post something on that in the future!

Would be great to see how the bluetooth could be activated?

I have a Beelking Mini MXIII (s905,2/16) using with gxbb-p200 dtb, and the wifi is working, but the bluetooth is not :(

@Janaboy My rough (dont quote me) understanding of this is that its a mix of your DTB (Device Tree Blob) file and also actual driver files, hence trying different DTB files, with different results. The DTB file is basically telling the system which drivers to load at startup.

I believe the Beelink Mini MXIII box has an  Aigale AW-CM273SM and Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 for WiFi/Bluetooth.... And I have no idea if anyone has ever written a driver or if one of the DTB files activates the driver, though I can seem some references around the internet to people trying.

So, if you can find a driver or if one exists, you can write your own DTB file, which might work OR obviously test other DTB files.... (this is why Im thinking to create a database so that we can find the best combinations for which DTB to use with which box).

The other alternative is to use an external usb dongle. Im not 100% confident which one would or wouldnt work, but have seen the CSR bluetooth dongles referenced before in ubuntu/armbian forums.... and they are cheap as $2 kind of thing....  Maybe someone else on here has experience with them. (If I had one to hand Id give it a go for you, but sadly dont)

Search google for csr bluetooth dongle if you want to try this route.

Im not yet at a stage to start writing about loading other drivers/editing DTB files etc.... as Ive still got my own research/experiments to do on that.

Thanks @erew

You are right, probably easier to buy a cheap dongle which is comptablie as it is not working out of the box, but you know, i like to use those devices.

btw it has RTL8723BS chip in it, and tried some topics, but couldn't make it work. So i won't spent much time with it.

However would be great to know about a 100% working dongle, so i hope someone will send me a model.

I would like to request for a little help, my Ubuntu was running on an SD card (Beelink Mini MXIII) and i wanted move to emmc, used the ./install.sh command.

It was doing for around 10 minutes and ending with this:

tar: var/cache/man/it: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/ja/index.db: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/ja: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/nl/index.db: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/nl: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/es/index.db: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/es: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/index.db: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/fr/index.db: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man/fr: file changed as we read it
tar: var/cache/man: file changed as we read it
Copy fstab
Complete copy OS to eMMC

After restart my Android was starting normally and the Ubuntu from my SD card is disappeared.

Then i flashed the img to a clean SD card (another sd card) and used the aml_script update from android, which says ALERT! LABEL=ROOTFS does not exists. 

Did i mess up? or what can be the issue?

Thank you 

4 hours ago, Janaboy said:

After restart my Android was starting normally and the Ubuntu from my SD card is disappeared.

Then i flashed the img to a clean SD card (another sd card) and used the aml_script update from android, which says ALERT! LABEL=ROOTFS does not exists.

I am away from my toys at the moment, and the only time I took a look at the install.sh script was about two years ago, so it may have changed substantially since then, but based on your SD card having been wiped my guess would be that your system identified the SD card as the first memory block (name ending with 0), and if I recall right the install script assumed the first block/device would be the internal memory (device to be backed up, erased, and have the OS copied to), and the second device would be the SD card.

Concerning updating Android, it was only necessary to do it once. Since your Android installation is still there, you should not have to do this step a second time.

If my guess is right, you should be able to boot from your newly flashed SD card. Once in Armbian, take a look at your devices, see whether the internal memory chip or the SD card show as mmcblk0 or something similar, you would then have to make simple adjustments to the install script.

17 hours ago, KY69 said:

I am away from my toys at the moment, and the only time I took a look at the install.sh script was about two years ago, so it may have changed substantially since then, but based on your SD card having been wiped my guess would be that your system identified the SD card as the first memory block (name ending with 0), and if I recall right the install script assumed the first block/device would be the internal memory (device to be backed up, erased, and have the OS copied to), and the second device would be the SD card.

Concerning updating Android, it was only necessary to do it once. Since your Android installation is still there, you should not have to do this step a second time.

If my guess is right, you should be able to boot from your newly flashed SD card. Once in Armbian, take a look at your devices, see whether the internal memory chip or the SD card show as mmcblk0 or something similar, you would then have to make simple adjustments to the install script.

You were right, my inside mmc is on mmcblk0 and in the script it was set to mmcblk1, this is my dmesg:

[    2.883038] meson-gx-mmc d0074000.mmc: allocated mmc-pwrseq
[    3.078893] mmc0: new HS200 MMC card at address 0001
[    3.079860] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 NCard  14.5 GiB
[    3.083401] mmcblk0boot0: mmc0:0001 NCard  partition 1 4.00 MiB
[    3.089259] mmcblk0boot1: mmc0:0001 NCard  partition 2 4.00 MiB
[    3.094559] mmcblk0rpmb: mmc0:0001 NCard  partition 3 4.00 MiB, chardev (241:0)
[    4.303249] meson-gx-mmc d0072000.mmc: Got CD GPIO
[    4.538643] mmc1: new high speed SDHC card at address 278a
[    4.544076] mmcblk1: mmc1:278a SD08G 7.42 GiB
[    4.551476]  mmcblk1: p1 p2
[    6.165136] EXT4-fs (mmcblk1p2): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode. Opts: data=writeback
[    8.265708] EXT4-fs (mmcblk1p2): re-mounted. Opts: commit=600,errors=remount-ro
[   15.436620] meson-gx-mmc d0070000.mmc: allocated mmc-pwrseq
[   15.488876] mmc2: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001
[   27.944396] EXT4-fs (mmcblk1p2): resizing filesystem from 669696 to 1872896 blocks
[   28.894929] EXT4-fs (mmcblk1p2): resized filesystem to 1872896

I changed the value in the install.sh to mmcblk0 and it seems was okay (no error message or anything) but now i have a fully black screen :(

Can i fix somehow the linux? 

Or what is the best method to install to emmc?

I was using this distro:

Armbian_5.90_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_disco_default_5.1.0_desktop_20190701 with meson-gxbb-p200.dtb 

Thanks

Hi Balbes150

Thanks for all the work you have put into this project.

I have a small request the 3.14 images are no longer in the archive.

Is it possible to get a link to

Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180421.img ?

thanks

T

8 minutes ago, tnseki said:

No chance of getting a build if you have it in the archive ? I wonder does anyone else have an archive of this build ?

I don't have these images, I don't keep them.

Hello all

First of all, thanks Balbes for the image, it's working great on my dad's new X96 mini.

I have read that in the mainline kernel there is no support for ssv6051 which seems to be the wifi chip on this box. I also read that the legacy images were removed recently.

I have also a copy of the older version 5.37 server with kernel 3.14, however it seems that image will not have the needed module. 

My question is,  does someone who has this 5.41 image with kernel 3.14  could upload it somewhere? I would be very thankful.

Or, if someone could point me to a link to just the module ssv6051 and firmware, I think this probably could work on my 5.37 image. Or if anyone has the driver source I could try to compile it.

Again a big thanks,  it's great to have linux on this tv box.

Hello, i'm trying to install into my second tv box, an ABOX a1 plus, (i've attempted on beelink gt1 but without success) but in the tv box there is not  the app "Update&Backup".

How can boot from sd without it?

thanks in advance

Davide

6 hours ago, balbes150 said:

If you haven't done a full backup as indicated in the instructions, then only via USB Burn Tool.

Ок, печально, но не критично. Да, кстати, в 5.91 Диско Динго не работает терминал, я особо не парился, уставил бионик, там всё ок.

Hi, I have an old install in eMMC/NAND in a MXQPro+ and I want to update to the recent version that's let me keep the OS in the internal memory. The output from uname is:

Linux amlogic 3.14.29 #144 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 26 10:26:54 MSK 2017 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

And the output in the SSH login screen is:

screenshot.png.7d5298d195abedc6df86515daab5d0c3.png

Thanks in advance.

Hi, at first: thanks for your effort!

I have a Z69 3/32 GB, which hangs on S905X logo at boot. I tried different debian/ubuntu images and DTBs. Instead it boots CoreELEC just fine with "gxl_p212_3g.dtb", but this DTB does not work with armbian.

There is this post, which says, it boots without a DTB, I cannot confirm this. I tried all "gxl-s905x-..." DTBs in /dtb, none of them does work. Tested with different USB-Sticks and SD-Cards.

These are the images I tried so far:

• Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_4.18.0-rc5_server_20180806.img
  • Armbian_5.90_Aml-g12_Debian_buster_default_5.2.0-rc7_20190706.img
  • Armbian_5.91_Aml-g12_Ubuntu_disco_default_5.2.1_20190802.img

I would be grateful for any hint!

edit: I bought this device used, CE was already installed to flash, may this be the problem? Flashed stock Android ROM

edit2: tried again after new method you mentioned in "S9xxx kernel 4.1x (>= ver 5.55)", it now works with DTB "meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb" set in "uEnv.ini"