ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

Hi,

with the how-to from http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/12/06/how-to-run-headless-linux-on-amlogic-s905-devices-such-as-mini-mx-or-k1-plus/#it was possible to boot the Odroid C2 Image on a Mini M8S ( s905 2GB Ram).

The Mini M8S stock u-boot does not support CFGLOAD, so I had to change some parameter from the boot.ini to bring them to the ENV.

The Boot Priority is different from the Odroid C2, it will only check the EMMC, does someone knows if this is more a hardware or software configuration?

If someone has interest I will post a small how-to.

Thank you for your hard work for this open system.

br tpc010

you have to open the case and search for the UART connectors, the Mini M8S has easy accessible connectors, I fond Mini MX III PCB pictures there is a really hidden UART Port, and I didn't find a PCB Image for the MXQ Pro+, so you have to search for it.

@tpc010 Have you tried adapting the automated method of changing the boot procedure using Android's "Update&Backup"? According to one user it already works on MXQ PRO+.

But yeah, I've got the cable and would love to try the dirty method on M8s :)

No, I uses the how-to from cnx-software, but at the moment the manual way, I will automate it and describe how to change the right things, so the Android will work and if you boot with a SD card it will boot from this.

Important is, the cable have to be 3,3 Volt like for the raspberry pi, so I use a converter with an CP2102, this is 3,3 and 5V tolerant. The Odroid UART Kit has a CP2104 with 1,8 to 3,3 Volt http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G134111883934.

To enable multi-boot on any device platform Amlogic S905 to connect UART is not required. All operations can be done via a normal Update&Restore. The user manual can be found here.

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905/wiki/s905_multi_boot

If your model is not, you need to use the universal variant.

Hi,

with the how-to from http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/12/06/how-to-run-headless-linux-on-amlogic-s905-devices-such-as-mini-mx-or-k1-plus/#it was possible to boot the Odroid C2 Image on a Mini M8S ( s905 2GB Ram).

The Mini M8S stock u-boot does not support CFGLOAD, so I had to change some parameter from the boot.ini to bring them to the ENV.

The Boot Priority is different from the Odroid C2, it will only check the EMMC, does someone knows if this is more a hardware or software configuration?

If someone has interest I will post a small how-to.

Thank you for your hard work for this open system.

br tpc010

In C2 use your Odroid u-boot, which added to the boot.ini as a startup script. You can use another option that uses standard features of u-boot. The script for the command autoscr. Not a lot of details can be seen here.

http://amlinuxmedia.com/forum/index.php?topic=223.msg2117#msg2117

@balbes150 About the yandex hosting service - I'm unable to download anything, neither with Chromium nor with Firefox. Does the service require any particular cookie or javascript settings?

E@Fritz LOL! That's exactly what I meant  - the button causes some browser javascript activity but the download never starts. (and the button remains greyed)

​

​EDIT:

​

post-1511-0-76362000-1467073730_thumb.jpg

@Shimon
What do you need?
You can download it from https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905/tree/master/script/S905_UBOOT/s905_uboot its the same aml_autoscript as in yandex and the s905_uboot_multi_version_v2.zip contains the same aml_autoscript but in a update_uboot folder.
Probably this will update the u-boot environment to enable to boot from the SD card for those firmwares who not allows it.
If you prefer you can do this manualy from the u-boot console with the serial cable and setenv/saveenv commands (probably what @tpc010 means) or as suggested by @balbes150 use the "automatic" update procedure, don't know if this works for all firmwares.
The automatic procedure changes the u-boot environment. Once changed on reboot u-boot first checks if sd-card is present then it loads s905_autoscript from the the sd card and execute it.s905_autoscript loads uImage and ....
aml_autoscript and s905_autoscript are nothing more then a boot.scr (u-boot commands compiled with mkimage).
for converting a aml_autoscript.txt to a aml_autoscript if you need to make changes use mkimage as usual with boot.cmd vs. boot.scr:
mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d aml_autoscript.txt aml_autoscript (same for s905_autoscript.txt vs. s905_autoscript)

That's it

:P

I believe the Update&Backup procedure was successful on my MXQ Pro+, and it seems the device is trying to boot from SD or USB, but the image I used (Debian-Jessie64-1.0~RC2-2016-03-10-MXQPRO4K.img plus my own dtb) doesn't bring up anything on the screen. It probably stops booting after ca. 10 seconds (led stops flashing).

Any suggestions of a different minimal image? (2G card) How do I set 1280x1024 DVI resolution like on my Odroid?

As far as I remember, this way when you first start trying to enlarge the second partition and erase the boot loader. Use caution with the launch of this image. In order to test You multiboot or not, I recommend to take other images.

What files are now on the first partition (the FAT partition) card ?

Thanks for the suggestion @balbes150, I have been bitten by using USB port no.4 (otg) on MXQ PRO+.

Using other ports and your own universal Ubuntu image without resizing the ext4 partition (16G card), having added an appropriate dtb.img file, it works! Done the same on M8S mini, changing the dtb file and it also seems to work.

post-1511-0-99776800-1466804588_thumb.jpg

There's one snag, though. HDMI cable must NOT be connected during boot or my DVI/SXGA monitor never leaves low power mode. Is it a firmware problem? On my Odroid switching to HDMI mode produces broken picture but the monitor definitely switches on.

Thanks so much, this is so great!

post-1511-0-20764900-1466810299_thumb.jpg

In Android, the monitor turns on normally ? I have several different consoles Amlogic S905. Several different adapter (VGA\HDMI not DVI) . Multiple monitors. Each connecting console\adapter\monitor everything works. Perhaps the reason for the peculiarities of the transition between the HDMI - to-DVI ?

Definitely the problem is about HDMI -> DVI, but curiously, both Android systems boot just fine (incl. Google splash screen).

Is there a way to implement VESA modes from odroid's boot.ini? At the moment, both in Android and Linux, 720p doesn't display correctly (ca. 1/4 of the screen lies outside of the visible area).

What is your monitor model ? What resolution and refresh rate it supports ? If you need other boot parameters (different from those that are in the current file s905_autoscript). The settings are easy to change. Clone the git to select or create a new text file with the necessary set of commands (with extension txt). Make a new script s905_autoscript (it's a binary file). Copy the new file instead.

It's an LG Flatron, 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz DVI/VGA monitor. I'll try replacing the script according to your suggestion and report back. Any idea if this resolution could be enabled for Android?

It's an LG Flatron, 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz DVI/VGA monitor. I'll try replacing the script according to your suggestion and report back. Any idea if this resolution could be enabled for Android?

I don't know Android. We can assume that Android is aimed at the TV settings. There is this screen resolution is not. You will need to get into codes video driver.

@balbes150 since you got c2 image run on MXQ PRO. What about docker and kodi. Cos MXQ PRO has the same s905 with c2. I guess docker and kodi should run on MXQ PRO too

I use computer translation. Sorry, I may not understand Your question. You asked about KODI. What he had in mind ? KODI works on Android. Is there a version of Openelec that you can run on MXQ PRO. Please specify what "docker", give the link.