ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

I wonder if after disabling the framebuffer, meson timer could be the problem. Is the following mod supposed to work on our boxes?

if test "${mesontimer}" = "0"; then fdt rm /meson_timer; fdt rm /cpus/cpu@0/timer; fdt rm /cpus/cpu@1/timer; fdt rm /cpus/cpu@2/timer; fdt rm /cpus/cpu@3/timer; fi

I've finally managed to see some serious swapping thanks to the `performance` governor. But even then, setting `swappiness` to 40 or less, leads to unreliable operation.

In other words, the winning combination requires `performance` + `swappiness > 50`.

Hi Balbes, thanks for the Armbian for S905.

i use it for Mini M8S and it working nice, but the WiFi not working.
Mini M8S using Realtek RTL8723BS, i hope you could build the module driver for it, in LibreELEC its called 8723bs

LibreELEC:~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
hci_uart               21997  1
bluetooth             243164  2 hci_uart
6lowpan_iphc            5895  1 bluetooth
8723bs               1675347  0
cfg80211              359903  1 8723bs
8021q                  18309  0
wifi_dummy               806  0
aml_nftl_dev           82924  0
fbcon                  37385  0
bitblit                 4508  1 fbcon
softcursor              1200  1 bitblit
font                    7295  1 fbcon
LibreELEC:~ #

@balbes150

- then more important, one of the two usb ports won't work on armbian (nothing is detected, nothing in the logs when i plug a dongle), it works fine in android. The second port works fine.
root@vegas95:~# lsusb 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@vegas95:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M

That's why i'm wondering about a wrong dtb file loading.

I've also tried to place my dtb.img file on the boot partition but the usb problem stays the same.

I haven't tested anything else, i think wifi is not working but that's okay, and i'll care about multimedia stuff later.

Finally i would be very interested in getting a non desktop ubuntu (possibly xenial) armbian image, if you have something like that.

At some point i'll test armbian C2 xenial image with a modified boot method, but the C2 has some specifics that i don't really want to mix in my tests..

thx

Hi mdel,

How to solved the USB Port Problem?

Please share the solution....

Thanks....

How to solved the USB Port Problem?

Please share the solution....

on my a95x box i had to use that command to activate the second usb port :

# power on second usb port
echo 0x1 > /sys/devices/platform/dwc2_a/buspower

your box may have a different layout so check the values of your  /sys/devices/platform/dwc2_[X]/buspower values to find the one that is "0", that's the one you'll want to set to 0x1.

I added that command to my /etc/rc.local script so that it gets activated at boot.

I uploaded the two directories 720_24 and 1080_24. They are scripts for the two types of screen resolution. For those who have not is a normal system start, I recommend to try to use instead the script that is the default version of the file from the directory 720_24. Another try from the beginning to load the standard firmware (Android) to connect media, and select Android in mode restart (NOT shutdown). I found that on many consoles have changed the bootloader. When enabled, does not activate the monitor (video output) to u-boot, have to reboot, then the monitor turns on and the image Armbian normal start.

on my a95x box i had to use that command to activate the second usb port :

# power on second usb port
echo 0x1 > /sys/devices/platform/dwc2_a/buspower

your box may have a different layout so check the values of your  /sys/devices/platform/dwc2_[X]/buspower values to find the one that is "0", that's the one you'll want to set to 0x1.

I added that command to my /etc/rc.local script so that it gets activated at boot.

Thanks alot, it's works.

My Mini M8S (S905 with 2GB RAM and 8GB eMMC) have the same layout like your, and i have put the command in /etc/rc.local.

Now... why VLC Player is so slow....

After i put USB Wifi TPLink TL-WN321G, and copy rt73.bin from my Kubuntu 13.04, i can connect to internet...

But... Firefox keep getting Segmentation Fault.....

the strange thing, when i don't have internet conection, when i open Firefox, it's fine.... but after i connect internet, just open firefox and not doing anything, i will get segmentation fault.... :(

Anyone else have the same problem like me?

i using Armbian_5.20_Vegas95_Debian_jessie_3.14.79_desktop_20160921.img

Thanks....

I uploaded the two directories 720_24 and 1080_24. They are scripts for the two types of screen resolution. For those who have not is a normal system start, I recommend to try to use instead the script that is the default version of the file from the directory 720_24. Another try from the beginning to load the standard firmware (Android) to connect media, and select Android in mode restart (NOT shutdown). I found that on many consoles have changed the bootloader. When enabled, does not activate the monitor (video output) to u-boot, have to reboot, then the monitor turns on and the image Armbian normal start.

I will try to compile later, for now i using my old usb wifi stick and i can connect to internet now.

Added another script. It uses the value of screen resolution and color depth of the memory u-boot. These values in u-boot are installed from firmware Android. Thus, if in Android, set the resolution to 720 , then the strata Armbian will be used 720. If set to 1080 to 1080 to be used.

Firefox need to rebuild under ARMv8. I still use midori for the web. There are other browsers.

Firefox need to rebuild under ARMv8. I still use midori for the web. There are other browsers.

Thanks for the Reply,

if it posible to build from Firefox ESR Source code under Armbian? ( ./configure, make and make install )

i have try Midori, its unstable, sometimes hang, and sometimes not responding.

but i still need Firefox or Iceweasel for Imacros.

Hello!

I'm new here. I have an MXQ PRO 4k box with S905 inside. I was successful to put Armbian onto an MMC card and it runs amazingly. Video acceleration, sound, ethernet work out of the box.

I'd like to give it to my daugther (10 years old) to learn programming in Scratch which also runs great.

Anyway, I cannot make the internal wifi work which would be essential for her for basic communication as well as do more in python later on.

QUESTION: how to know / check what wifi chip is built into this unit? It still has android on its own flash and it uses wifi well. I tried to dig out from its android what wifi chip it has but found nothing except a few wpasupplicant settings.

On pc I'd do it with lsusb or lspci but I'm new to ARM and also Armbian.

thanks

Robert

- a father with concept -

Hello!

I'm new here. I have an MXQ PRO 4k box with S905 inside. I was successful to put Armbian onto an MMC card and it runs amazingly. Video acceleration, sound, ethernet work out of the box.

I'd like to give it to my daugther (10 years old) to learn programming in Scratch which also runs great.

Anyway, I cannot make the internal wifi work which would be essential for her for basic communication as well as do more in python later on.

QUESTION: how to know / check what wifi chip is built into this unit? It still has android on its own flash and it uses wifi well. I tried to dig out from its android what wifi chip it has but found nothing except a few wpasupplicant settings.

thanks

Robert

To support Wi-Fi maybe not enough firmware. You can try to copy to disk are all available to S905 (to take them from the image LE).

Thanks for the reply!

As I understand you mention to get wifi firmware from LibreElec image. I've downloaded libreELEC S905 aarch64 7.0.2... it has a SYSTEM and KERNEL big files (images?) inside. I bet these hold the system.

How to mount/open the SYSTEM or KERNEL files? What are these?

I also try to build openELEC on my linux box but I assume it will create the same SYSTEM file.....it is still going on...

Thanks for any help

Robert

Hello!

thanks

Robert

I have Mini M8S, and what i do to get the module driver name and its wifi, i do this.

I Burn this LibreELEC https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1497.htmlto SDCard , then Boot it from SD Card.

Pray.... and Thanks God, my Wifi detected by LibreELEC.

Then i remote ssh to LibreELEC, check cfg80211 with lsmod ,

##############################################
# LibreELEC #
# http://libreelec.tv #
##############################################

LibreELEC (community) Version: 7.0.2.007
LibreELEC:~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
hci_uart               21997  1
bluetooth             243164  2 hci_uart
6lowpan_iphc            5895  1 bluetooth
8723bs               1675347  0
cfg80211              359903  1 8723bs
8021q                  18309  0
wifi_dummy               806  0
aml_nftl_dev           82924  0
fbcon                  37385  0
bitblit                 4508  1 fbcon
softcursor              1200  1 bitblit
font                    7295  1 fbcon
LibreELEC:~ #
LibreELEC:~ # cd /lib/modules/
LibreELEC:/lib/modules #
LibreELEC:/lib/modules # ls
LibreELEC:/lib/modules # find . | grep 8723
./3.14.29/kernel/drivers/amlogic/wifi/rtl8723AU
./3.14.29/kernel/drivers/amlogic/wifi/rtl8723AU/8723au.ko
./3.14.29/kernel/drivers/amlogic/wifi/rtl8723BS
./3.14.29/kernel/drivers/amlogic/wifi/rtl8723BS/8723bs.ko
LibreELEC:/lib/modules #

Then i found out, my Wifi Card is Realtek RTL8723BS

I hope this will help you....

Thanks for the reply!

As I understand you mention to get wifi firmware from LibreElec image. I've downloaded libreELEC S905 aarch64 7.0.2... it has a SYSTEM and KERNEL big files (images?) inside. I bet these hold the system.

How to mount/open the SYSTEM or KERNEL files? What are these?

I also try to build openELEC on my linux box but I assume it will create the same SYSTEM file.....it is still going on...

Thanks for any help

Robert

There is another option to get the files you need.

When building image LE, You will have a directory with collected ready files and source code. In these subdirectories You can find the files you need. Do not spend the time to build the entire image, You can specify the build command, only the desired packages.

Sukanime, Balbes150,

thanks for all the answers!

Actually I was able to get to know the wifi chip:

lsmod:

8189es 991315 0 - Live 0x0000000000000000 (O)
dwc_otg 281418 0 - Live 0x0000000000000000
aml_thermal 18163 0 - Live 0x0000000000000000 (O)
mali 195752 36 - Live 0x0000000000000000 (O)
aml_nftl_dev 82380 3 - Live 0x0000000000000000 (PO)

rtl8189es_ver_info:

rtl8189es v4.3.10.1_13373.20150129

I've downloaded the driver from here:

http://openlinux.amlogic.com:8000/download/ARM/wifi/rtk8189es-2016-08-18-0bce5917b9.tar.gz

Extracted on the S905 box but it cannot be built locally since Makefiles are set for a developer's environment. I'm not a C developer, I cannot modify the Makefile to be built on Armbian/S905 box locally.

Could anyone give me some ideas how to continue? I'm already at the gates.... :)

thanks

R

i don't use Armbian anymore, i have switch to Ubuntu Mate modified by Balbes and Koxx (based from Odroid C2 Ubuntu Mate)

afaik, to compile the driver, you need Kernel header and Kernel Source
please read this http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/873-solved-compiling-drivers-error-no-header-files-found/

ps: i got my wifi driver from there too, this one http://openlinux.amlogic.com:8000/download/ARM/wifi/rtk8723bs-2016-08-18-090ef42dfa.tar.gzfor my rtl8723bs wifi card. :)

Hello!

Thanks.

Actually, I've did that, especially "make scripts". Didn't help. It seems to be a Make file problem taiored to a developer's PC at Amlogic somewhere :)

Which Ubutnu image do you mention? I've tried one from Balbes' Yandex. It booted but there were no sound and no graphical acceleration.

On Armbian, everything is marvellous, faster, Wifi is the only issue.

Last question now: for your rtl8723 - ha you modified the corresponding Make file? Could you please show it to me? I may analyze the differences.

Thanks

Rob

Hello!

Thanks.

Actually, I've did that, especially "make scripts". Didn't help. It seems to be a Make file problem taiored to a developer's PC at Amlogic somewhere :)

Which Ubutnu image do you mention? I've tried one from Balbes' Yandex. It booted but there were no sound and no graphical acceleration.

On Armbian, everything is marvellous, faster, Wifi is the only issue.

Last question now: for your rtl8723 - ha you modified the corresponding Make file? Could you please show it to me? I may analyze the differences.

Thanks

Rob

Hmm, it's a mix , please go here http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/beelink-ac/568654-minimx-s905-ubuntu-16-04-64bits-with-kodi-and-x-on-sdcard/page9

and read my post in there.

can you please tell me which image you're using exactly ?

thx

for all the file in partition ROOTFS , except /lib/modules/ i use minimx_ubuntu from Koxx, because it's have stable Firefox and smooth Mate Destop.

and for BOOT partition i use ubuntu multi dtb from balbes150, i need s905 script and dtb file.

for kernel, its the same as from ubuntu mate from odroid, and its still in the ubuntu multi dtb from balbes150

sory for my bad english, its hard to explain, please go to http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/beelink-ac/568654-minimx-s905-ubuntu-16-04-64bits-with-kodi-and-x-on-sdcard/page9

and read my post in there.

Sukanime,

thanks for your recommendations. I'm afraid this level of (positive) hacking is somehow above my level. I'll try to go on with 8189es driver and Armbian - I'll dig other forums as well.

Robert

I looked at the kernel configuration - it is an indication of the module Assembly 8189. Try to unload the module from Broadcom (dhd) and load the module 8189.

Thanks, Balbes150

What image/system do you mention?

I have this one installed from your site:

Linux vegas95 3.14.79-vegas95 #11 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 21 17:29:25 MSK 2016 aarch64 GNU/Linux

it has no 8189 module available.

thanks

R

Sukanime,

thanks for your recommendations. I'm afraid this level of (positive) hacking is somehow above my level. I'll try to go on with 8189es driver and Armbian - I'll dig other forums as well.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I cannot compile, the driver from here http://openlinux.amlogic.com:8000/download/ARM/wifi/, if i look to Makefile, its for Android.

You can try using Module Driver from LibreELEC 7.0.2.007

If you read the kernel config in here https://github.com/kszaq/LibreELEC.tv/blob/libreelec-7.0/projects/S905/linux/linux.aarch64.conf

LibreELEC have merge module driver for 8189ES.

#
# Amlogic Wifi Driver
#
CONFIG_AM_WIFI=y
# CONFIG_BCMDHD_USE_STATIC_BUF is not set
CONFIG_AM_WIFI_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_RTL8189ES=m
CONFIG_RTL8189FS=m
CONFIG_RTL8192EU=m
CONFIG_RTL8723AU=m
CONFIG_RTL8723BS=m
CONFIG_RTL8821AU=m
CONFIG_RTL8812AU=m

You try to Boot LibreELEC with SDCard to see if it working with your TV Box.

Here the download link 7.0.2.007 build for S905 | LibreELEC

If its work, you can get from LibreELEC kernel in here https://github.com/kszaq/linux/tree/amlogic-3.14.y, you need to download it, and the driver will be in folder drivers/amlogic/wifi/.

Right now, i'am trying too... but still on the way....

Btw, try to read Koxx post in here http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/beelink-ac/562425-lubuntu-possible-on-s905/page3

The way he try to compile module driver for wifi and soundcard is awesome...