64 64
balbes150

ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, David Markey said:

Yeah this was working for months with whatever DTB so must be eMMC problem. Is this box for the garbage?

Start the system from external media and try to check the file system in the eMMC. You may need to reinstall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Markey said:

Sorry for being annoying, but how can I do that? It doesn't seem to happen automatically when I insert the SD card? I dont have serial access as the the pads are too small

What is the image trying ? What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ? What is the exact version of the image installed on the eMMC ?

What media are you trying to use (sd or USB) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

What is the image trying ? What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ? What is the exact version of the image installed on the eMMC ?

What media are you trying to use (sd or USB) ?

 

What is the image trying ?

Armbian_5.71_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_20190118.img.xz

 

What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ?

I remember not having to install a DTB because everything worked out of the box.

 

What is the exact version of the image installed on the eMMC ?

 

I believe it was the 5.34 server image.

 

What media are you trying to use (sd or USB) ?

I have tried both but it is either not booting at all or booting from MMC and oopsing..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Markey said:

Armbian_5.71_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_20190118.img.xz 

 

What dtb ? How do you set up a dtb ?

I remember not having to install a DTB because everything worked out of the box.

 

All images with kernel 4.x require that you configure the dtb.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.40_server_20171112.img via USB. I can see activity on the USB disk but the screen stays blank.... Is USB or SD card better in this scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, David Markey said:

I have tried Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.40_server_20171112.img via USB. I can see activity on the USB disk but the screen stays blank.... Is USB or SD card better in this scenario?

For all images except the older versions with kernel 3.14.29 it is necessary to configure the dtb (according to the recommendations for each option, please note that the recommendations are different for each kernel). For the 4.9 kernel, you must configure the dtb.

In your case (potential problems with eMMC) you need to configure all images to use dtb from external media (including kernel 3.14.29).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you mean by "configure the dtb"?

 

You mean, to copy the appropriate file from the dtbs directory to dtb.img (or use that envini script to point to the right file)?

 

Or something else?

 

Because we already needed to do that on 3.14 kernels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, C0NPAQ said:

What do you mean by "configure the dtb"?

 

You mean, to copy the appropriate file from the dtbs directory to dtb.img (or use that envini script to point to the right file)?

 

Or something else?

 

Because we already needed to do that on 3.14 kernels. 

Of different versions of the kernel and image version Armbian has its own rules adjusted to the correct DTB. Refer to the appropriate topics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am Running Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181218 on an MAGICSEE N4 TV Box (meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb)

The box runs quite fine, i am very impressed. Thanks a lot for your work.

 

I am struggling to change the resolution of the HDMI out. on my full HD screen it runs fine, but i want tu run it on my 1024x768 screen via an DVI Adapter.

Can't find the hdmi.sh script mentioned on the first page.

 

Thanks a lot

      Johannes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, (Jo)Hannes said:

I am Running Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181218 on an MAGICSEE N4 TV Box (meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb)

The box runs quite fine, i am very impressed. Thanks a lot for your work.

 

I am struggling to change the resolution of the HDMI out. on my full HD screen it runs fine, but i want tu run it on my 1024x768 screen via an DVI Adapter.

Can't find the hdmi.sh script mentioned on the first page.

 

Thanks a lot

      Johannes

(ver 5.44 =<) For mainline just use regular method via xorg parametrs, or if you use desktop standart xfce4 instrumments in settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, talraash said:

(ver 5.44 =<) For mainline just use regular method via xorg parametrs, or if you use desktop standart xfce4 instrumments in settings.

 

I already tried that with different resolutions on different Screens, but all resolutions look like this:

only 1080p works fine. Always need to delete the xfce settings after changing, as there is no way to set it back to normal afterwords...

Any Ideas?

IMG_20190210_103809.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@balbes150 I just installed Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_4.18.0-rc5_server_20180806 on my S905X, armbian runs ok so far, however i would like set this box as tvheadend server only i have 2 dvb-s usb tuners TECHNOTREND TT-connect S2-4600, installed tvh from repo, but under adapters i dont see my tuners, also i get this:

 

koxy@aml:~$ sudo systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of systemd-modules-load.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service.d
           └─10-timeout.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-02-11 09:43:21 UTC; 4min 20s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 1659 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 1659 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd-modules-load[1659]: Failed to find module 'aml_nftl_dev'
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 11 09:43:21 aml systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
 

There is firmware for this tuners in /lib/firmware/dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw. Any tips how to sorted out ?

 

EDIT: After Armbian_5.75_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.5_20190211.img install, everything is sorted out, S905X working np with 2x DVB-S, even with HD channels working very good. Thanks balbes !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

Thank 150balles for his/her hard work.

I've been able to install Debian on my coolme mb1 (S905X) !

 

(If that helps somebody, I had to try several usb key as some of them weren't able to boot despite being flag as bootable.)

 

 

I've searched but didn't find my answer: How to recompile armbian kernel on S905X ? I would like to add kernel modules.

 

I've found this https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel but:

  1. I'm not sure if that are the sources I must use ?
  2. Where can I find the .config currently used ?
  3. Once compiled, how to place it into /boot for armbian to boot ?

 

Thank for the answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amaury Decreme said:

 

I've searched but didn't find my answer: How to recompile armbian kernel on S905X ? I would like to add kernel modules.

 

 

I've found this https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel but:

  1. I'm not sure if that are the sources I must use ?
  2. Where can I find the .config currently used ?
  3. Once compiled, how to place it into /boot for armbian to boot ?

 

Thank for the answers.

The answers are in this forum but

1. see https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7930-armbian-for-amlogic-s9xxx-kernel-41x-ver-555/?do=findComment&comment=68879
2. see /boot/config* on the target tv box.
3. depending on changes, you just copy from the buildhost modules into /lib once you've tested them and copy arch/arm64/boot /Image.gz to /boot/zImage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Amaury Decreme said:

Hello,

 

...

 

 

I've searched but didn't find my answer: How to recompile armbian kernel on S905X ? I would like to add kernel modules.

 

I've found this https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel but:

  1. I'm not sure if that are the sources I must use ?
  2. Where can I find the .config currently used ?
  3. Once compiled, how to place it into /boot for armbian to boot ?

 

Thank for the answers.

Check the HOWTO's here:

http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-howto-native-compile-kernel

http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-howto-compile-kernel

 

And all the kernel compilation related pages here: http://wiki.loverpi.com/sbc:libre-computer-aml-s805x-ac

 

1. I suggest you use the patched kernels from Oleg (balbes150 on Github).

2. cat /proc/config.gz

3. Explained here: http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-install-newly-compiled-kernel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you dbsharpe and AndrewDB, I succeed recompiling the kernel and rebooting on it.

 

For anyone interested here is the step I followed using the previous guides 

git clone https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel.git
cd Amlogic_s905-kernel

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf libtool cmake pkg-config git python-dev swig3.0 libpcre3-dev nodejs-dev gawk wget diffstat bison flex device-tree-compiler libncurses5-dev

make distclean
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make menuconfig

make -j3 Image modules dtbs
sudo make modules_install
sudo cp /boot/zImage /boot/zImage.bak
sudo cp arch/arm64/boot/Image /boot/zImage
sudo reboot

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
64 64