ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

On 11/18/2017 at 8:02 PM, balbes150 said:

To ALL

Some of the owners of TV boxes with Amlogic S9xxx is available for one of these options USB-DAC ?

https://volumio.org/product-category/dac/usb-dac/

sorry i don't have any usb dacs (i have some cheap 2$ usb soundcards.. if it can help)

but i'm currently looking into spdif or analog audio output on my amlogic tv boxes (s905 s912 s805).

Can you tell me if there's support for those outputs in your armbian images (or in armbian in general), for which soc (if not for all) ?

At the moment i'm looking at my A95X (s905) box with your armbian image and it shows :

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 0: I2S.37 dummy-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 1: SPDIF.38 dit-hifi-1 []
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 2: PCM.39 pcm2bt-pcm-2 []

No sign of analog, and since that box does not have spdif (there's a "stereo" jack A/V, composite+stereo ?), i imagine spdif and i2S are only internal peripherals. 

I'd be more interested in SPDIF than analog, many boxes have optical outputs, at the moment my alternative would be external hdmi>spdif converter, not very nice.

I'll try to do my own tests but it would be nice if you could tell me what you already know.
thx

The S/PDIF output from the Beelink X2 is active and real. But I only can managed to  use with test sound. I don't waste many time messing with the configuration. I only tested with Legacy kernel I don't know if work with Mainline. I'll try to test this X-mas. 

I'm going to receive a MXQ Pro Plus and a MXQ Pro 4K.  One of these have s/PDIF and thee other don't have enough information in Banggood. When I'll receive the two MXQ my plan is try to install this armbian version. If you whish I'll try also to check the S/PDIF output. 

21 hours ago, manuti said:

The S/PDIF output from the Beelink X2 is active and real. But I only can managed to  use with test sound. I don't waste many time messing with the configuration. I only tested with Legacy kernel I don't know if work with Mainline. I'll try to test this X-mas. 

yes i forgot about my beelink x2, good that you mention it, with allwinner having good (?) mainline support, it could be a better alternative but as this is an amlogic thread, i'll leave it there.

I'm going to receive a MXQ Pro Plus and a MXQ Pro 4K.  One of these have s/PDIF and thee other don't have enough information in Banggood. When I'll receive the two MXQ my plan is try to install this armbian version. If you whish I'll try also to check the S/PDIF output. 

i don't know about those MXQ boxes, i don't have any s905x/w at the moment but as they are cheap ones i don't mind getting one if it's my only option..

From what i read on forums, librelec has spdif support on amlogic s905, so i imagine it should work on my tv boxes with armbian as well.

I will test libreelec and latest armbian and if it does work i'll have to dig through audio patches and ask @balbes150 if he can add them to his armbian image.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:56 AM, TonyMac32 said:

Human nature.

Valuable addition to the discussion, thanks mate ! :)

On 10/27/2017 at 4:05 PM, balbes150 said:

This issue has already been discussed a million times. For video playback there is a special version of image Mate, where everything is already set up for full-screen video playback through KODI.

A million times it has been discussed, but yet, the first post in this thread explains nothing about it.
I'd say maybe change the first post and add there all the important stuff that go around these boxes so people won't have to read all these pages with no actual interest.

Thanks again for your help, but keep it low.

I just got myself an S905 box with a strange name, but it's likely an H96 Plus 4K aka MXQ MXQ Pro+ with 2G/16G and 1GbE, SD card reader rather than microSD card reader. I am able to boot an older server image from August with 4.13 kernel, but there is no USB. It's when i use nextbox DTB. The other DTBs i've tried fail with mounting rootfs.

What image should i try? I'd like to have a server/headless image as well as a desktop, if possible. Thanks.

@balbes150 if you want, i can buy this box for you so you can develop further. I can order it direct to your address, PM me your name + address.

This box has got S905 (not S905x) 2G/16G and 1gbit LAN.

I tried with meson-gxbb-odroidc2.dtb, it boots, USB works and 1gbit just is unstable.

I suspect the LAN driver is wrong with Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.14.0-rc2-next-20170929_server.img.xz from https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/Test

I can setup all fine with the device conneced to my TV using terminal direct login, but when i try to SSH into the box, i can't get in. It hangs sometimes before and after the password typing.

41 minutes ago, fossxplorer said:

I tried with meson-gxbb-odroidc2.dtb, it boots, USB works and 1gbit just is unstable.

some of those boxes have completely crippled Gbe out of the box, i have two of them, one s912 and another one i can't remember the soc model of.

for my s912, Gbe already behaved poorly in android, i would suggest you test your gbe speed with iperf in android to make sure it's actually working properly.

In my case it is rx/tx timings defined in the dts file, they should match the physical track properties of the board, and so testing different dtb i did see changing performances of the ethernet port, but it never got anywhere near >850Mbps stable bidirectional speeds.

also 4.14 kernel images are using a mainline (?) kernel and i don't know how stable it is with amlogic at the moment so you should double check that as well or stick to old BSP 3.14 kernels.

Edited by mdel

I see @mdel. This box comes with old Android 5.1 and IIRC, the LAN showed 100Mbit, but i need to check this again as i also had issues in Android, when i think back. Network didn't work using LAN actually. So it could actually be an issue with the LAN port. Didn't even know iperf existed for Android, will definitely test with iperf.

Yes, i use 4.14rc2_next images from @balbes150, while @Shimon mentioned he has tested with 3.14 kernel.

My intention was to get a $33 S905 box with 2G/16G + GbE. But this box looks bad so far :(

Thanks @Shimonfor pointing out. My hope was to use it as Linux box, but if the GbE is not working, then i can't really. If things work more stable in Android, i could be forced to use it actually.

I tried to Google for the firmware, but i find none that supports 2G/16G + GbE. If you bother:  can you give me a link? Much appreciated. 

If we can actually make this box useful, it could be a good value for those $33.

Thanks.

Thanks i i've read quite some posts about this device, among others: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/others-ac/568877-any-thoughts-on-this-box-mxq-pro/page6

It looks like the GbE is crippled in Android, OE and Linux so i have no hope here. I will try to flash it to the SD-Robots firmware to see if it's usable with Android + WiFi. Possibly also LE if i get some time.

Otherwise i'm gonna demand refund for this!

9 hours ago, fossxplorer said:

My intention was to get a $33 S905 box with 2G/16G + GbE. But this box looks bad so far

it's not really an answer to your problem but i'll mention that for headless server oriented devices with good performance for the price, i have moved to rockchip and specifically rk3328 devices (same as rock64 board) which (should) have good Gbe and usb3.

The rk3328 is not more powerful than a s905 (i don't care about hw decoder and 3D stuff) but it has a crypto extension module that works fine and will almost saturate a Gbe openvpn link, i bought a 2g/16g + bt/802ac (not working in linux yet) for around 35e, it's the alfawise z28 pro, here's a thread about it https://forum.armbian.com/topic/4708-z28-rk3328-18/

Read the thread carefully it has some serious caveats (can't boot from sdcard which it could, but no on that particular board) so it may not be a device for everyone and we are currently waiting for other box reviews to see if another one has less "linux install" problems..

i've been using a linux mainline kernel (17.04 server) on it for a month and i don't think i'll need a device more fully featured that this one for quite some time..

Any1 have an idea for smooth ubuntu mate 16.04.3 on beelink mini mxiii(s905x, 2gb ram, Samsung Evo 32GB Class 10 UHS-I )? I've compared ubuntu to ubuntu mate + kodi only when playing the movie, in kodi it works smoothly, in ubuntu lags(this built-in player after installation).

Edited by TushanYaya

Any chance for Tanix TX3 mini support ? It uses S905W and has 2GB of ram.

I tried the latest ubuntu-mate build with gxl_p212_2g_tx3mini.dtb dtb image. It boots fine, but doesn't want to start the desktop manager (it just flickers screens and tries to restart desktop manager a few times).

Am i using the right image or is something else at play here ?

Hello balbes150, I found problems when activating the UFW firewall in Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20171104. Here is a list of the problems detected in the checkup, in case it helps to compile the kernel and include the necessary modifications for UFW to work properly. Thank you so much for the effort.

$ sudo /usr/share/ufw/check-requirements
Has python: pass (binary: python2.7, version: 2.7.12, py2)
Has iptables: pass
Has ip6tables: pass

Has /proc/net/dev: pass
Has /proc/net/if_inet6: pass

This script will now attempt to create various rules using the iptables
and ip6tables commands. This may result in module autoloading (eg, for
IPv6).
Proceed with checks (Y/n)? y
== IPv4 ==
Creating 'ufw-check-requirements'... done
Inserting RETURN at top of 'ufw-check-requirements'... done
TCP: pass
UDP: pass
destination port: pass
source port: pass
ACCEPT: pass
DROP: pass
REJECT: pass
LOG: FAIL
error was: iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
hashlimit: pass
limit: pass
ctstate (NEW): pass
ctstate (RELATED): pass
ctstate (ESTABLISHED): pass
ctstate (INVALID): pass
ctstate (new, recent set): FAIL (no runtime support)
ctstate (new, recent update): FAIL (no runtime support)
ctstate (new, limit): pass
interface (input): pass
interface (output): pass
multiport: FAIL
comment: pass
addrtype (LOCAL): pass
addrtype (MULTICAST): pass
addrtype (BROADCAST): pass
icmp (destination-unreachable): pass
icmp (source-quench): pass
icmp (time-exceeded): pass
icmp (parameter-problem): pass
icmp (echo-request): pass

== IPv6 ==
Creating 'ufw-check-requirements6'... done
Inserting RETURN at top of 'ufw-check-requirements6'... done
TCP: pass
UDP: pass
destination port: pass
source port: pass
ACCEPT: pass
DROP: pass
REJECT: pass
LOG: FAIL
error was: ip6tables: No chain/target/match by that name.
hashlimit: pass
limit: pass
ctstate (NEW): pass
ctstate (RELATED): pass
ctstate (ESTABLISHED): pass
ctstate (INVALID): pass
ctstate (new, recent set): FAIL (no runtime support)
ctstate (new, recent update): FAIL (no runtime support)
ctstate (new, limit): pass
interface (input): pass
interface (output): pass
multiport: FAIL
comment: pass
icmpv6 (destination-unreachable): pass
icmpv6 (packet-too-big): pass
icmpv6 (time-exceeded): pass
icmpv6 (parameter-problem): pass
icmpv6 (echo-request): pass
icmpv6 with hl (neighbor-solicitation): pass
icmpv6 with hl (neighbor-advertisement): pass
icmpv6 with hl (router-solicitation): pass
icmpv6 with hl (router-advertisement): pass
ipv6 rt: FAIL

FAIL: check your kernel and that you have iptables >= 1.4.0
FAIL: check your kernel and iptables for additional runtime support

On 16.12.2017 at 8:02 PM, mdel said:

I'll try to do my own tests but it would be nice if you could tell me what you already know.

I have no terminal equipment to check SPDIF.

On 17.12.2017 at 1:34 PM, masteripper said:

.i have a NexBox A5 (905X) and i have installed LibreElec on the EMMC....how to boot Armbian...i need to do some testing...i have inserted MicroSD but it goes to the internal (LE) install

You need to activate the multi-boot. For example , method of using floss media written Armbian.

On 18.12.2017 at 1:04 AM, mdel said:

I will test libreelec and latest armbian and if it does work i'll have to dig through audio patches and ask @balbes150 if he can add them to his armbian image.

If you have patches, I'll be able to include them in the source code for the shared Assembly.

On 18.12.2017 at 11:21 PM, divinesheet said:

A million times it has been discussed, but yet, the first post in this thread explains nothing about it.
I'd say maybe change the first post and add there all the important stuff that go around these boxes so people won't have to read all these pages with no actual interest.

Thanks again for your help, but keep it low.

Write the desired text, I'll post in the first post.

Spoiler

Если Вы найдёте для меня лишние несколько часов в сутках, сверх имеющихся 24 часов, я смогу потратить эти дополнительные часы, на написание инструкций и документации. А пока, мне приходится тратить всё свое свободное время на сборку, разработку и вникание в исходные коды.

10 hours ago, David Markey said:

Any chance of a new build?

The new version (maybe) will appear after the New Year (but there is no guarantee that a big problem with the free time).

For me video playback is not the main problem. This is a good option Libreelec and multiboot (the ability to run multiple systems as necessary).