ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

On 17.11.2017 at 2:36 AM, fatugazuhati said:

Any news about the problem with the bluetooth?

Briefly tested the built-in BT on Telos, the adapter is there, but not working as it should. Checked the external BT adapter, you can connect different devices. But playing sound through BT is a big distortion, choppy (maybe I'm not correctly set up).

To ALL

Some of the owners of TV boxes with Amlogic S9xxx is available for one of these options USB-DAC ?

https://volumio.org/product-category/dac/usb-dac/

20 hours ago, hillz said:

Browsing the web with chromium on ubuntu mate is really slow, opening a few tabs will put the CPU at 100%, I can't even watch youtube videos without lags at full screen 720p, is it just me ? I'm using Tanix TX3 Mini with S905W processor. Is it the problem with the CPU power being too little or is it because the CPU is just too hot that it can't make use of its full CPU performance ?

It's a little bit of both. A53 cores are not exactly speed demons and nowadays websites can be very taxing for CPU. Combine that with poor multithreading and some throttling and you get the result. Also, there is no gpu or media acceleration, so all the work goes to cpu.

It also doesn't help the fact, that these devices come only with 1-2GB of ram

Also remember these TV boxes are not usually cooled very well, so they go into thermal throttling quickly.

As you'll see reading below, the closed-source Amlogic bootloader blobs may also have a say in the quality of your experience, they seem to vary significantly.  I'm experimenting with a TV box right now which runs horribly no matter what "ROM" I put on it, so I'm starting to suspect the bootloader.  If the Khadas VIM was a Bugatti Veyron, the mini M8S II is currently a Volkswagen Rabbit with a dead cylinder and bad fuel...

21 hours ago, balbes150 said:

But playing sound through BT is a big distortion, choppy (maybe I'm not correctly set up).

The Tinker Board legacy did this, I had to change frequency governors from "conservative" to "ondemand".  That's assuming you haven't already done that.  ;-)

13 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

The Tinker Board legacy did this, I had to change frequency governors from "conservative" to "ondemand".  That's assuming you haven't already done that.  ;-)

Thanks for the info, I'll check it.

On 18/11/2017 at 8:02 PM, balbes150 said:

Briefly tested the built-in BT on Telos, the adapter is there, but not working as it should. Checked the external BT adapter, you can connect different devices. But playing sound through BT is a big distortion, choppy (maybe I'm not correctly set up).

Do you think that is it possible to make working the built-in BT? What could be the problem?

1 hour ago, fatugazuhati said:

Do you think that is it possible to make working the built-in BT? What could be the problem?

You can try to fix it. I think the reason is not the correct settings for this model or not correct firmware. In the Internet there are instructions for setting up BT.

hi guys I have two question:

- how to enable autologin (mate ver. 1104)

- on same version I have problem with running Teamviewer  installing temaviewrer pass ok, but I cannot start, windows never show up

After some dtb trials I managed to get your 3.14 Armbian running on my very very cheap, 23€ at amazon, S905W/2GB/16GB/9082xs Wifi "GooBang Doo ABOX A1 Max" which calls itself actually A95X_r2 with various "nex" sprinkled around. Thank you for this very nice port. However I have a problem with buggy kernel headers: it's not possible to use them in any way it seems due to a upstream bug :(

I'm running Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_server_201711.img and need to compile modules for a XBox One DVB-C/T2 Tuner with V4L media_build https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

However I cannot do this since the Linux headers .deb linux-headers-amlogics905x_5.34_arm64.deb is broken

KBUILD_CFLAGS_MODULE:-DMODULE -mfix-cortex-a53-843419 -mfix-cortex-a53-835769
  CC [M]  /home/deranger/media_build/v4l/adv748x-afe.o
In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.29/arch/arm64/include/asm/dma-mapping.h:27:0,
                 from include/linux/dma-mapping.h:76,
                 from /home/deranger/media_build/v4l/compat.h:1507,
                 from <command-line>:0:
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.29/arch/arm64/include/asm/xen/hypervisor.h:1:50: fatal error: ../../arm/include/asm/xen/hypervisor.h: No such file or directory
 #include <../../arm/include/asm/xen/hypervisor.h>
                                                  ^
compilation terminated.

From googling it seems this is a known upstream bug in the builddeb part of the kernel source.

https://discuss.96boards.org/t/linux-headers-incomplete-debian-16-02-compile-linux-dvb-drivers/475

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kbuild.devel/14647

So how to fix? I'm guessing the old 3.14 kernel doesn't have this fix yet.

Where can I get the kernel source 3.14 you used for your images (so I could compile my own kernel and have all the necessary headers) or maybe you can create a fixed .deb which includes the necessary headers. It's apparently not only the hypervisor.h but several others as well in the /arm/ tree.

Alternatively: I managed to get the 3.14 image running, I got a current kszaq LibreElec 8 running out of the box. The huge 200kb DTB in kszaq's image works with libreelec but not your 3.14 image it seems. The normal S905X 2GB DTBs do not work, due other reported success with some S905W boxes. I found a A95X-r2 DTB which works with both, 3.14 and LE 8. Neither DTB works with your Linux 4.9 Armbian images. I'd like to use the 4.9 Kernel if possible, however since it's the default Debian stretch kernel version (and I managed to compile the Xbone Tuner modules for it on my x86 debian). so are those 4.9 images "special" or known to work only with very special hardware, or what?

Generally: how does one create DTB files? Are these files kernel version specific (see above)? So far it seems it's a very arcane mystery and people simply search google in the hope someone already got a working DTB. Is it possible to extract working dtb files from the Android on each box? If not, why not?

6 hours ago, deranger said:

Generally: how does one create DTB files? Are these files kernel version specific (see above)? So far it seems it's a very arcane mystery and people simply search google in the hope someone already got a working DTB. Is it possible to extract working dtb files from the Android on each box? If not, why not?

1. The kernel sources that I use to build the kernel 3.14 and 4.9 are in my git (a link was many times in this thread).

2. Build the dtb must be performed using the kernel source from them to undertake the necessary data for dtb.

3. To get the dtb from firmware Android is not difficult, it's the same was discussed many times on this forum.

hi I have two AMLogic TV box.

1. MeCool M8S pro plus - Mate working ok, but there is no Wifi (is there any way to add driver for this Wifi)

2.T95Zplus - Mate working ok, but there is problem with LAN driver, I cannot conect over lan cable, Wifi working ok, but every restart I need to enter comand "sudo modprobe dhd" is it any solution to permanent change this options

Thx balbes150 and big respect for your work!

On 06.12.2017 at 12:47 AM, XX7 said:

but there is no Wifi (is there any way to add driver for this Wifi)

To work WiFi need a proper dtb, kernel module (can be integrated into the kernel itself), the firmware and the right settings. You need to determine in which element the error.

problem with LAN driver,

Most likely, the wrong dtb, you need to try the files with 100Mb or 1Gb network.

but every restart I need to enter comand "sudo modprobe dhd" is it any solution to permanent change this options

Read carefully the first post of this thread, it says how to set the module startup.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Image update 5.37_3.14.29_20171208.

Dear balbes150,

what is the process of upgrade if I have this version running on my TV box, installed on internal storage: Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20171104?

I just installed this version, on a new microSD card, but all it does is load into Kodi??  Is this what it is supposed to do?? 

This version. >>>  Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20171208.img.xz

Never mind, I found it.  In the top right hand corner, there is options for Kodi, Kodi and Linux.

Thanks.

On 07/12/2017 at 10:18 AM, balbes150 said:

To work WiFi need a proper dtb, kernel module (can be integrated into the kernel itself), the firmware and the right settings. You need to determine in which element the error.

I didt find propret dtb file I open my box and find out that there is WiFi modul based on SCI S9082C could anybody advise how to solve this problem..

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this; if it's not, apologies in advance. I have a Mini M8S box and I've been trying to fine tune it with the armbian Ubuntu Mate image from here (great work by the way), I have almost everything running correctly; mostly used for Plex Server and Kodi. Is the last one which is making things harder... I use Kodi mostly for streaming services; I can watch Twitch perfectly fine, however whenever I try to watch something through AceStream, I get a black screen. I can fix this turning off amcodec hw acceleration in settings, but the performance is not good because these boxes aren't powerful enough.

Is there a solution for this? I'm not too confident, because if I can't use hw acceleration then I can't see those streams, and there's not much else I can do in this situation...

Regards.

19 hours ago, FerK said:

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this; if it's not, apologies in advance. I have a Mini M8S box and I've been trying to fine tune it with the armbian Ubuntu Mate image from here (great work by the way), I have almost everything running correctly; mostly used for Plex Server and Kodi. Is the last one which is making things harder... I use Kodi mostly for streaming services; I can watch Twitch perfectly fine, however whenever I try to watch something through AceStream, I get a black screen. I can fix this turning off amcodec hw acceleration in settings, but the performance is not good because these boxes aren't powerful enough.

Is there a solution for this? I'm not too confident, because if I can't use hw acceleration then I can't see those streams, and there's not much else I can do in this situation...

Have you tried to check these features in Libreelec ?

A new version of the image for Debian with IceWM DE. 20171212

Features of this image. This is the minimum graphic system in which there are only a few programs - browser, Synaptic, and a few GUI tools for management. This way you can use to create your own system, with its own set of programs and settings (you can add your favorite graphic DE). After you create your system, you can distribute it as an image for cloning to other TV boxes.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Have you tried to check these features in Libreelec ?

Hello, I just tested on an alternative SD to install libreelec and AceStream works just fine. It's a different Kodi version though (17.6?) compared to the one in the Ubuntu image. Sorry to keep asking but is there something that I could do for the Ubuntu setup or should I switch to libreelec? Because I think Plex can work too from libreelec, but other things I have, I don't know...

Thank you for your answer btw. Regards.

14 hours ago, FerK said:

Hello, I just tested on an alternative SD to install libreelec and AceStream works just fine. It's a different Kodi version though (17.6?) compared to the one in the Ubuntu image. Sorry to keep asking but is there something that I could do for the Ubuntu setup or should I switch to libreelec? Because I think Plex can work too from libreelec, but other things I have, I don't know...

If you want to use additional Addons for KODI, I recommend using LE.

8 hours ago, balbes150 said:

If you want to use additional Addons for KODI, I recommend using LE.

Ok, thank you for your help. I'm giving libreelec a try, lets see how it goes, I'll keep a backup of armbian just in case I need to go back.

Regards.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:31 PM, 8zabi said:

Dear balbes150,

what is the process of upgrade if I have this version running on my TV box, installed on internal storage: Armbian_5.34_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20171104?

is there anybody who can explain to me the process of upgrade between armbian versions? manual kernel change and apt-get upgrade?

On 20/11/2017 at 11:52 AM, balbes150 said:

You can try to fix it. I think the reason is not the correct settings for this model or not correct firmware. In the Internet there are instructions for setting up BT.

I'm trying without success, could you give me some advice?