More proper testing - better Armbian experience

Igor

5 minutes ago, Igor said:

- kernel sources with our patches and config (please try some onboard kernel compilation testings)

It has to be noted that it's up to user to install additional build dependencies and select a suitable toolchain. This just saves people from downloading and patching sources manually (I had a "provide a script for netive kernel compilation (incl. patching)" entry on my TODO list, but providing already patched sources is easier)

Just now, Bubba said:

Do you have a punch list of what you would like tested / how you want the tests be run?

Just installing and running does not really provide much info.

"Only" this:

- possible upgrade problems. switch to beta if not yet then do an update, try to reboot. On more than one board if possible - with different kernels.

- download some of the modern kernel (preferable) to a board running modern kernel and try to compile, pack and boot that kernel.

- any legacy desktop build upgrade (H3, A20, A64)

I rebuilt all kernels and beta.armbian.com repository will be updated in about one hour from now. None was tested for booting and troubles are expected.

Updated  legacy kernel  on a  Beelinkx2 , to:

•  linux-image-sun8i                     5.32.170824                       armhf        Linux kernel, version 3.4.113-sun8i

wifi, HDMI works.

====

Then I updated to:

• linux-image-dev-sun8i                 5.32.170824                       armhf        Linux kernel, version 4.11.12-sun8i
  • linux-u-boot-beelinkx2-dev            5.32.170824                    armhf        Uboot loader 2017.07
  • linux-stretch-root-dev-beelinkx2      5.32.170824                  armhf        Armbian tweaks for stretch on beelinkx2 (dev branch)

wifi works.  But (as expected),

• no HDMI output (none during boot, nor after Linux was running)
  • only one cpu running

so I  reverted to 3.4.113 kernel (left newer u-boot active).

OrangePiPlus2e shows same results.

====

I've also been running  testing/buster  for a couple of weeks.  Everything works, except for systemd stuff.  Newer systemd expects cgroups (which is not available on 3.x kernels).  So I hold systemd [& udev] stuff at version 232-25.  If you try & update to 234-2, you'll get weird mount errors during boot, then the kernel [intentionally] crashes.

Edit: this seems to related to a hardware issue on cubietruck. Currently there is no access to nand anymore from sd ...

This may not be a top priority issue, but I observe problems with Armbian 5.33 on nand using jessie, stretch and xenial (legacy kernel). It seems to be related to armbian-config observed on a cubietruck.

User built systems with legacy kernel 113 were flashed onto an sd card. Booting from SD works well and formatting, transferring the system to nand using armbian-config and booting into nand works too. 

After the first boot df displays the availability of 7GB of nand2 storage and 32MB of nand1 storage. The filesystem is writable.

It is indicated on the welcome screen that a reboot is necessary to complete resizing of the file system !

The first reboot hangs for minutes and a cold start needs to be performed.

After that the file system is mounted in read only mode - not writable anymore.

Edit: There seems to be a hardware problem with nand. CPU temp is 53 degrees after booting from nand - but only 42 degrees after booting from sd...

____      _     _      _                   _    
 / ___|   _| |__ (_) ___| |_ _ __ _   _  ___| | __
| |  | | | | '_ \| |/ _ \ __| '__| | | |/ __| |/ /
| |__| |_| | |_) | |  __/ |_| |  | |_| | (__|   < 
 \____\__,_|_.__/|_|\___|\__|_|   \__,_|\___|_|\_\

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.33 user-built Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 3.4.113-sun7i   
System load:   0.57 0.31 0.12  	Up time:       1 min		
Memory usage:  1 % of 1966MB 	IP:            
CPU temp:      53°C           	
Usage of /:    17% of 7.0G 

mkdir /mnt/nand2
mkdir: cannot create directory '/mnt/nand2': Read-only file system

df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.0G  1.1G  5.6G  17% /
devtmpfs        976M     0  976M   0% /dev
tmpfs           984M     0  984M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           984M  8.5M  975M   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           984M     0  984M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           984M     0  984M   0% /tmp
/dev/nand1       32M  5.8M   27M  19% /boot
log2ram          50M  944K   50M   2% /var/log
tmpfs           197M     0  197M   0% /run/user/0

cat /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options> <dump>  <pass>
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs   defaults,nosuid 0       0
/var/swap none swap sw 0 0
/dev/nand1 /boot vfat   defaults 0 0
/dev/nand2 / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro 0 1

45 minutes ago, lupus said:

Edit: this seems to related to a hardware issue on cubietruck. Currently there is no access to nand anymore from sd ...

Yes. Most likely your NAND gave up ... which is expected to happen sooner or later.

3 minutes ago, Ketsa said:

Did you guys abandon debian for ubuntu ? It looks like all the newer releases are based on Ubuntu only.

I'd like to test Stretch installs

Check nightly builds. We started to enable Stretch builds ...  and we will move towards it since Ubuntu Xenial is now older. 

Are you interested in some particular build? Automated nightly build can be enabled since we are in the process of testing.

10 hours ago, Igor said:

They will be accessible in approximately 12 hours

+ unplanned delay since compilation didn't start at 00:00 but manually at 07:00 

21 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Kernel 3.10.x is too old to run Stretch without issues so there will be no Stretch images for Pine64 with the default kernel branch.

Thanks for the answer.

Will there be a version with 4.x kernel then ?

• Igor unpinned this topic