Armbian 22.11 (Goral) Release Thread

Igor

• Release Candidate Code Freeze Date: 2022-11-16
  • Release Planning Meeting Date:  skipped, forum only - post concerns to this topic 
  • Release Date: 2022-11-28  2022-12-03
  • Release Coordinator: Igor

Board maintainers @Contributor/Maintainer please check status of your board. Report a bug or try to fix it by the final release date.

Developers, check if your contribution is recorded in Jira as otherwise it won't fit into the release log:
https://armbian.atlassian.net/projects/AR/versions/10012/tab/release-report-all-issues

64 Issues in version

61 Issues done

0 Issues in progress

3 Issues to do

This release should be in bug fix mud as we stay at 5.15.y / 5.19.y for CURRENT kernel branches.

RC images are uploading to https://imola.armbian.com/dl/BOARDNAME/rc (patience, download will be slow!)

If you find a bug, just open a Jira / PR only in case of small typo thing as such https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4456

https://www.armbian.com/rc-testing/

Tested manually:
Olimex A64 Bullseye CLI current, installed ZFS, installed to eMMC, reboot

Orangepi 3LTS, Jammy CLI, current, installed ZFS, installed to eMMC, reboot

Am I the only person thinking that having a window of one week for maintainers to test RC images, collect feedback (if we get any valuable in that short time window at all) and even then try to attempt fixing reported issues on a "maintenance/bugfixing release" is a bad idea?

@Igor

I think the better approach would be to use the RC testing form which was made for this, those who can test, please do so and submit your testing forms at: https://www.armbian.com/rc-testing/ 

Note: it has been updated to allow you to submit up to 2 image tests at a time, so please take advantage of this if you need to.

Thanks.

Tagging some people just  to make sure they see this....

@Teslacreiste @balbes150 @teknoid @jock @jethome @ZazaBr @Heisath @littlecxm @schwar3kat @NicoD

I tried my VIM3 but the damn thing doesn't seem to be working anymore. I dropped it a few weeks ago. Tried it for the first time now and no boot. The LED goes off every 2/3 seconds as if it's trying to boot again.

I tried Khadas image, different sd-cards. All the same, also not booting from eMMC...
So I guess I'll have to be cut from the maintainer list for VIM3.
I'll try the VIM2, BPiM5, P1, N2+ and Odroid C2 tomorrow.

10 hours ago, NicoD said:

So I guess I'll have to be cut from the maintainer list for VIM3.

Make a PR here https://docs.armbian.com/Release_Board-Maintainers/ so we have an actual picture.

12 hours ago, TheLinuxBug said:

I think the better approach would be to use the RC testing form

Yes ofc. It is important we start with testings.

15 hours ago, Werner said:

if we get any valuable in that short time window at all

As we spoke, I am fine with postponing release date in order to not compromise quality of release too much. 

15 часов назад, TheLinuxBug сказал:

I think the better approach would be to use the RC testing form which was made for this, those who can test, please do so and submit your testing forms at: https://www.armbian.com/rc-testing/ 

I tried to fill in this form, it is overloaded. It is enough to do - the device name, image, switch works \does not work (free format text field (if it works, filling is not required). For those who want to fill in extended information - add a switch that will open additional fields (for those who want to fill them in).

Station  P1 - works

Station M1 - u-boot is not working properly, there will be a fix in the near future

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Which branch of the official GIT do I need to check

Send fix to master as we won't move any further. I will merge it to v22.11 right before rebuild.

I have seen some problems reporting on Rock64 / RK3328 (boots but desktop doesn't load) and Orangepi 4 (old one) not boot at all. If someone can check on this or similar devices. I can fastest tomorrow evening.

19 часов назад, Igor сказал:

I will merge it to v22.11 right before rebuild.

I cloned the last MASTER, built an image for Station M3, checked, DTB is available, everything works. It is strange why there is no DTB in the RC image, perhaps it is assembled from "old" packages from the repository (there is no package with DTB)? At the same time, I checked the build of a variant with integrated DTB in the kernel package. Everything works. I can send a PR with patch fixes for a new version of the core package for M3 with one package for the core and DTB (just as it is implemented for the "media" core).

2 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

It is strange why there is no DTB in the RC image, perhaps it is assembled from "old" packages from the repository

Images were made before your fix and they won't be recreated until next batch, perhaps in a week.

4 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

It is strange why there is no DTB in the RC image, perhaps it is assembled from "old" packages from the repository (there is no package with DTB)?

You mean this? There is DT package - if it was not assembled, perhaps there is another problem?

https://imola.armbian.com/beta/pool/main/l/linux-5.10.66-station-m3/

Please start merging this into Rochip64 as I don't follow anymore - media kernel, integrated dt, extlinux, efi ... 

2 минуты назад, Igor сказал:

Images were made before your fix and they won't be recreated until next batch, perhaps in a week.

I haven't done PR for M3 for a long time. Therefore, I was surprised why the build worked incorrectly (without DTB).

6 минут назад, Igor сказал:

I don't follow anymore - media kernel, integrated dt, extlinux, efi ... 

You don't have to keep track of anything. I ran the build from the official GIT Master and the build went correctly (DTB files are included and work correctly). It's just not clear why the RC image was obtained without DTB.

4 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

It's just not clear why the RC image was obtained without DTB.

They are generating images from packages that are in repository. But since packages are there, I don't understand why they are not included in the image. In case of network error, build should fail. 

This way has to generate working image:

./compile.sh EXPERT=yes NO_APT_CACHER="yes" BETA="yes"

is the closest to automated build - followed by selecting "use packages from repository". 

It doesn't pull DTB package ...

[ .... ] Installing from repository [ linux-u-boot-station-m3-legacy ]
[ .... ] Installing from repository [ linux-image-legacy-station-m3 ]
[ .... ] Installing from repository [ armbian-bsp-cli-station-m3 ]
[ .... ] Installing from repository [ armbian-firmware ]
[ .... ] Installing from repository [ armbian-config ]
[ .... ] Installing from repository [ armbian-zsh ]

8 hours ago, Igor said:

I have seen some problems reporting on Rock64 / RK3328 (boots but desktop doesn't load) and Orangepi 4 (old one) not boot at all. If someone can check on this or similar devices. I can fastest tomorrow evening.

Tested Orange Pi 4 LTS with both debian bullseye and jammy images, it booted in all attempts except one attempt where apparently the HDMI monitor did not turn on (led was blinking so kernel was alive).

Unfortunately I had no serial attached and when I attached the serial, it never occurred anymore.

I don't know if it has already been fixed, but the last time I tried the RC images, the Terminator font was huge again.

I tested 32 bit Tinkerboard and 64 bit Orange PI 4 LTS jammy xfce images.

3 hours ago, jock said:

I don't know if it has already been fixed, but the last time I tried the RC images, the Terminator font was huge again.

I tested 32 bit Tinkerboard and 64 bit Orange PI 4 LTS jammy xfce images.

I think i know how to fix that ...

Important Information

Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Guidelines