This kernel does not include the required loadable module support

Gunwoo Gim
Go to solution Solved by Igor,

Hi, I'm trying to use ZFS but the kernel I'd like to use doesn't support loadable modules. The version is 22.08.4 at the moment (5.10.147)

Can I use zfs-dkms on linux-image-current-meson64?

And I'm curious why loadable modules are not supported by default for linux-image-current-meson64, is it same with every model? or probably Odroid-HC4 is one of the models in which loadable modules are not build by default?

System diagnosis information: https://paste.armbian.com/ezisijedob

Thank you,

Gunwoo Gim

Edited by Gunwoo Gim

17 hours ago, Gunwoo Gim said:

Hi, I'm trying to use ZFS but the kernel I'd like to use doesn't support loadable modules. The version is 22.08.4 at the moment (5.10.147)

Can I use zfs-dkms on linux-image-current-meson64?

just install linux-image-arm64 from official debian repo, if missing some feature, just replace the dtb, then install zfs-dkms.

Thank you so much for the replies, Igor and Ning, I appreciate it.

I tried installing linux-image-arm64 from the debian repo. but it didn't manage to boot, or even output anything on screen.

It seems the most recent version of linux-image-current-meson64 (22.08.7 / linux-5.19.17-meson64) does support loadable modules, but now a tangential problem has come to me:

wireguard-dkms won't build. ( It says "Error! The /var/lib/dkms/wireguard/1.0.20210606/5.19.17-meson64/aarch64/dkms.conf for module wireguard includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which does not match this kernel/arch." )

How can I manage to have not just loadable kernel modules but also ZFS in kernel instead of user-space?

err, I'm sorry I wrote this question wrong, How can I have both ZFS in kernel space like I did by installing version 22.08.7 of linux-image-current-meson64, and also wireguard-dkms?

Edited by Gunwoo Gim

17 hours ago, Gunwoo Gim said:

I tried installing linux-image-arm64 from the debian repo. but it didn't manage to boot, or even output anything on screen.

I guess already use mainline uboot? right? if you are still using verdor uboot, debian kernel missing 1 patch to support boot mainline kernel on vendor uboot.

I have added configs to enable debian kernel to support amlogic socs, tested A311d, S905x3 should also be supported.

I guess you have wrong boot method, suggest you to use extlinux.conf install of boot.scr (local boot)

install `u-boot-menu` and use extlinux.conf as boot menu to boot debian's kernel.

if this not work, I suggest you to use `debootstrap` to rebuild your system, if you know how to configure system to bootable.

• Solution
18 hours ago, Gunwoo Gim said:

It seems the most recent version of linux-image-current-meson64 (22.08.7 / linux-5.19.17-meson64) does support loadable modules, but now a tangential problem has come to me

Wireguard does not build as its already present in the kernel and that DKMS package is needed (is build-able) only for kernels older then 5.5.y.

I have recently re-imaged my HC4 NAS and everything works perfectly OOB:

___      _           _     _   _   _  ____ _  _   
 / _ \  __| |_ __ ___ (_) __| | | | | |/ ___| || |  
| | | |/ _` | '__/ _ \| |/ _` | | |_| | |   | || |_ 
| |_| | (_| | | | (_) | | (_| | |  _  | |___|__   _|
 \___/ \__,_|_|  \___/|_|\__,_| |_| |_|\____|  |_|  

Welcome to Armbian 22.08.8 Jammy with Linux 5.19.17-meson64

System load:   2%           	Up time:       13 days 21:42	
Memory usage:  58% of 3.70G  	IP:	       10.0.60.7
CPU temp:      49°C           	Usage of /:    12% of 15G    	
RX today:      1.2 GiB  	ZFS pool:      Online

odroidhc4:~:# modinfo wireguard
filename:       /lib/modules/5.19.17-meson64/kernel/drivers/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko.xz
alias:          net-pf-16-proto-16-family-wireguard
alias:          rtnl-link-wireguard

Ofc you can go several steps back and assemble image from raw Debian and generic ARM Linux kernel. But you will probably certainly run into more troubles.

2 hours ago, ning said:

I guess already use mainline uboot? right? if you are still using verdor uboot, debian kernel missing 1 patch to support boot mainline kernel on vendor uboot.

I had erased everything from the storage where the petitboot was installed by vendor. I believe I'm using the uboot configuration came with the Armbian img file.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Wireguard does not build as its already present in the kernel and that DKMS package is needed (is build-able) only for kernels older then 5.5.y.

Awesome! I didn't know it was already in the kernel hehe, the package wireguard-dkms being installed by default when you install wireguard package was misleading.

Edited by Gunwoo Gim