apt update/upgrade fails for kernel updates on community builds

SonicXiang

Got following error where upgrade from 6.0.7 to 6.0.8 and 6.0.8 to 6.0.10. Running on a s905l box with meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb

aml-s9xx-box:~:# apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up linux-image-edge-meson64 (22.11.0-trunk.0138) ...
 * dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 6.0.10-meson64 [ OK ]
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.0.10-meson64
W: Couldn't identify type of root file system for fsck hook
update-initramfs: Converting to u-boot format
Free space after deleting the package linux-image-edge-meson64 in /boot: 396M
mv: cannot stat '/boot/vmlinuz-6.0.10-meson64': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-edge-meson64 (--configure):
 installed linux-image-edge-meson64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-edge-meson64
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

When doing an upgrade with apt, how does one obtain new versions for these packages?

armbian-bsp-cli-aml-s9xx-box
linux-u-boot-aml-s9xx-box-edge

I've been able to update all Armbian packages to 2023.2.0 except these, which are stuck at 2022.11.0 as they're not in any repository I could find.

Well, after installing to eMMC yesterday, today I suddenly got a new version of armbian-bsp-cli-aml-s9xx-box and linux-u-boot-aml-s9xx-box-edge got a replacement in linux-u-boot-aml-s9xx-box-current.

No idea why/how these were suddenly available.

@Gaaf What version did you originally have installed (file name and download location)?  How did you upgrade from 22.11.0 to 23.2.0?  It looks like you are switching from the current stable kernel to the unstable edge kernel?  How did you switch?  Is that what you intended?  Basically I need more information about your environment and how you have upgraded it, to be able to explain what you are seeing.

Hi all!
I tried to put the version https://github.com/armbian/community/releases/download/202307/Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Aml-s9xx-box_lunar_edge_6.2.0-rc3_xfce_desktop.img.xz#aml-s9xx-box on tv box. Installation takes place both on the SD card and on emmc. But the following errors got in:
1. There is no entry about the user in /etc/sudoers, so the sudo command does not work.
2. The apt-get upgrade command results in a brick.

Can anyone suggest a solution to problem #2?

Running on a s912(mecool m8s pro l) box with meson-gxm-q201.dtb

ERRORS:
Failed to try-restart systemd-networkd.service: Unit systemd-networkd.service is masked.
Setting file flags is only supported on regular files and directories, cannot set on '/var/log/journal'.
Setting file flags is only supported on regular files and directories, cannot set on '/var/log/journal'.
Failed to try-restart systemd-networkd.service: Unit systemd-networkd.service is masked.
(Reading database ... 184652 files and directories currently installed.)

Errors were encountered while processing:
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

Edited by tnt
add err

@tnt Two things I'll note.  Unless you are only testing, you should use the stable builds (not the unstable development community builds) located here: https://redirect.armbian.com/aml-s9xx-box/archive/

Second, in moving to the new armbian build framework post 23.02 release, there is an incompatible change in how the kernel .deb package is installed.  After this change there no longer is a /boot/uImage file created.  So the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file will need to be changed if you upgrade to a later built kernel changing from uImage to Image.  I don't know if this might be what you are running into, or some other instability in the development/unstable tree.

45 минут назад, SteeMan сказал:

Unless you are only testing, you should use the stable builds (not the unstable development community builds) located here: https://redirect.armbian.com/aml-s9xx-box/archive/

Sorry I didn't see this location.

47 минут назад, SteeMan сказал:

After this change there no longer is a /boot/uImage file created.  So the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file will need to be changed if you upgrade to a later built kernel changing from uImage to Image.

It really helped, I didn't pay attention to the Image file even though I checked extlinux.conf