Orange Pi 5 Support

Efe Çetin

2 hours ago, pazzoide said:

but I can help with tests

We need something else ... In area of testings, we need (yours? and few more) part and full time engagement as a test engineer https://forum.armbian.com/staffapplications/ ... if you can pay for your time, we can't. So far all people that applied, sooner or later lost their interest in working for you. Testings is anyway automated and when a bug is found, there is nothing we can do as you don't want to compensate for the time we lost by working to fix problems you and our competitors have with those computers. Even recording a bug goes on our private bill. This is how you support us and you think a bug report for software support, which you are paying nothing for, will represent an added value?

I can´t get it working also with Armbian. I think i do something wrong. I followed to he official Ubuntu manual and it works. Also read the link of the Rock Pi 5 but it´s not very clear for me.

I downloaded the Armbian image, zero.img and rkspi_loader.img. I booted also from the micro sd armbian and that works fine. On the Orange pi i did the following:

orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo dd if=zero.img of=/dev/mtdblock0
32768+0 records in
32768+0 records out
16777216 bytes (17 MB, 16 MiB) copied, 253.123 s, 66.3 kB/s
orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo dd if=rkspi_loader.img of=/dev/mtdblock0           
32768+0 records in
32768+0 records out
16777216 bytes (17 MB, 16 MiB) copied, 254.654 s, 65.9 kB/s
orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo dd bs=1M if=Armbian_20221220a-rpardini_Orangepi5_kinetic_legacy_5.10.110.img of=/dev/nvme0n1 status=progress
2053111808 bytes (2.1 GB, 1.9 GiB) copied, 3 s, 683 MB/s
2020+0 records in
2020+0 records out
2118123520 bytes (2.1 GB, 2.0 GiB) copied, 6.42917 s, 329 MB/s
orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo poweroff 

After powering up it just don´t start. I see also methods by using a usb port. And the steps for windows, linux and so on the call also step 3 and step 4. So totally not clear...?

Edited by haajee

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/install/spi#Step1:_Install_Tools.26Drivers it should work if you follow here

I flashed rkspi_loader.img using rkdeveloptool on a Mac with rk3588_spl_loader_v1.08.111.bin and now the Orange Pi won't boot anything from the NVME (including the official Ubuntu image, which was previously working). 

Were these the same steps you followed, and were you able to boot from NVME after doing this? I feel like I must be missing something.

Update: eventually got this working after booting from the SD card and running `armbian-install` to install the bootloader on SPI flash -- only then could the NVME boot.

Edited by bla
works

Got it also working now! Just so simple with armbian-install working

What i did maybe wrong:

1. Not as root user but just with SU

2. Used nand-sata-install instead of Armbian install

Things i noticed at first use:

1. At first setup it does not show the iP adress. If you don´t have a keyboard/mouse connected, you should search in your modem for the the ip.

2. CPU speed settings / governor does not working in armbian-config. But this problem is also in the official Orangepi ubuntu image.

3. GPIO could not be configured in armbian-config

4. USB-C port looks like not working. Blue USB-A top port works on 5000Mb speed. Bottom port on USB 2.0 480Mb speed. But think that´s also a USB 2.0 port :P

Edited by haajee

Just because of weekends, we have to be a little patient, full-time employees also have weekends.

This is the kernel I'm using now, just need to overwrite the installation:

https://github.com/ChisBread/linux-orangepi/releases/tag/v1.06.001

But be careful not to install my dtb, which is overclocked. Unless you know what you're doing.

btw @Efe Çetin . Maybe I can also submit a patch to fix mouse cursor flickering under x11?  

Edited by ChisBread

Thought I'd give your kernel and envar on my Rock5 since it's close to Opi5 board.  I got a boost from 995 on x to 1379 (glmark2-es2) on wayland.  Nice and now Kde Plasma session works!   It's no where near what Chisbread is getting.  I haven't messed with this install other than add your kernel and export the debug variable.  Saving OC and governors for last.

[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=false:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 1518 FrameTime: 0.659 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=true:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 1525 FrameTime: 0.656 ms
=======================================================
                                  glmark2 Score: 1379

Kernel: 5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 arch: aarch64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.4 Distro: Ubuntu 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu)
Machine: Type: ARM System: Radxa ROCK 5B Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 1.22.1.3 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.3
OpenGL: renderer: Mali-G610 (Panfrost) v: 3.0 Mesa 23.0.0-devel

Thanks for the boost/fix. 

Edited by archetech

<< I think you can add another release for kernel with panfork patches and without OC. 

OC is only related to linux-dtb-*

<< Maybe they can also be included into the Armbian RK3588 patches if they are stable
I don't think it's possible until icecream95 and upstream settle

<< Saving OC and governors for last.
governors are the most important one, and there are no side effects, I recommend reading https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowledge/blob/master/articles/Quick_Preview_of_ROCK_5B.md#important-insights-and-suggested-optimisations

Edited by ChisBread