Orange Pi 5 Support

Efe Çetin

21 hours ago, Efe Çetin said:

I'm now able to boot from nvme. I think there was a problem with bootfs partition. It wasn't working when it was ext4. Then i converted it to fat and it works 💫

Is there anything else you did to make the NVMe work? My new Orange Pi 5 does not seem to recognize mine. It doesn't show up with "lsblk" or "df -h".

I have created a Cad drawing of the OPI5 motherboard and a micro desktop case design that can be 3d printed and cnc/laser milled.

https://github.com/berin-aquaquad/orange-pi-5 

The Motherboard cad drawing is or should be 99% accurate. I use Designspark Cad software (free) This is a work in progress, and I have not built it yet. I'm still looking at options I want to add before I build it. As well as any last min. adjustments. The only special aspect I'll point out, is that the main body is designed as a split shell. That is to allow smaller 3d printers to be able to print the main body. I have ordered the GeeekPi Raspberry Pi 4 PWM Fan, Raspberry Pi Low-Profile CPU Cooler with RGB Cooling Fan. When I receive that in the mail, I'll ensure all measurements in my cad file are good and start building. I know there are missing vents and I/O port openings. AGAIN this is a BETA cad file post with a 99% accurate OPI5 SBC board cad file. Anyone who checks it out please give me some feedback. Though I work on luxury yachts I went to school for graphic design.

opi5 micro desktop front left.jpg

opi5 mainboard.jpg

Edited by berin

Did anyone have guide how make it boot from NVME? I was able to install it using `armbian-install` but when I use `SPI/MTD Flash boot` it doesn't boot at all and I use first option with bootloader on SD card it will throw error during start `failed to mount /media/mcboot` and boot to SD card system in emergency mode.

Edited by Nodon

I just got my 128gb m.2 drive. I've installed it but I have not even powered the board yet. I have no plans to power it until I get the main cpu heatsync. Yes, I know it can throttle itself. Sorry I don't like to run chips hot.  @Nodonif I'm not mistaken, I believe there was a how-to on the orange pi web site. http://www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/computerAndMicrocontrollers/details/Orange-Pi-5.html see to the orange-colored download link at the top left. it was on the web site or in the PDF files in the downloads I forget. who knows there could be something under the https://www.armbian.com/orangepi-5/ site. I will be interested to know. Currently I have downloaded the the ubuntu build from the orangepi website.

Edited by berin

@berin Thanks I will try to follow original manual today or tomorrow to boot from SPI, but I think I did something very similar and it did not worked.

Btw. under normal load my OragePi keeps temperature between 40 - 50 C which is very nice.

Edited by Nodon

Hello,

thanx for supporting orangepi5 that fast.

For me almost everything is working, but I have an advanced setup where I wan't to use zfs and a bridged network interface. Both for lxd.

Unfortunately both is not working. zfs-dkms will not compile and the bridge does not come up.

I already supplied more information at github.

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4582#issuecomment-1368831712

Maybe you can point me into the right direction.

Thank you,

Nico

First of all kudos on the work of supporting Orange Pi 5, 1st timer Armbian user, really neat OS, loving it straight away.

I downloaded Jammy_legacy_xfce image, boot up no problem with SD Card. Tried GPU acceleration, also good.

I'm trying to install into my newly bought NVMe SSD, that doesn't work, it not even detecting the device (model is KingSpec M.2 NGFF SSD 2242 1TB).

Official Orange Pi Debian was able to detect the device with "overlays=ssd-sata" in "/boot/orangepiEnv.txt", but also no luck with SPI+SSD boot.

here's the output of my "sudo armbianmonitor -u":

https://paste.armbian.com/nosuqetece

Any help or share experience is appreciated.

I finally managed to boot from SPI + NVME (without SD card) but only with original image. I basically followed guide in manual and instead of flashing original I tried to flash Armbian image, but it won't boot at all and hangs on red diod only.

Summary of what I did (may help someone):

1. Create bootable SD card with original OrangePi image downloaded from here
  2. Copy image file to SD card you created, ideally to your home folder.
  3. Boot it on your OrangePi
  4. Install gdisk `sudo apt install gdisk`
  5. USe it to delete whole NVME storage `sudo gdisk /dev/nvme0n1` then delete all partitions using `d` command and write changes by `w`.
  6. (should no be necessary) Clear nvme storage just to be sure `sudo dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvme0n1 count=2000 status=progress`
  7. Flash image to NVME storage using command `sudo dd bs=1M if=Orangepi5_x.x.x_debian_bullseye_desktop_xfce_linux5.10.110.img of=/dev/nvme0n1 status=progress`
  8. Install bootloader to SPI flash `sudo nand-sata-install` and select option 7
  9. Turn off and remove SD card
  10. Turn on and it should boot from SPI + NVME

I tried to replace image in step 7. with Armbian image `Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0112_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_minimal.img` but it did not booted then.

Edited by Nodon

3 hours ago, Avatar Ng said:

I'm trying to install into my newly bought NVMe SSD, that doesn't work, it not even detecting the device (model is KingSpec M.2 NGFF SSD 2242 1TB).

You drive is SATA but you need PCIE NVME. Did exactly same mistake you need to buy correct one.

Edited by Nodon

Here is what I did to use NVMe SSD with Armbian image:

0) Prepare NVMe SSD

You need at least 2 partitions:

boot partition: /dev/nvme0n1p1, formatted as vfat

rootfs: /dev/nvme0n1p2. as ext4. It actually can be other partition, not necessary the 2nd one.

You can use fdisk/parted/... to create these partitions when booting from SD

0.1) (Optional) if you played with official image, SPI might have incomparable bootloader for Armbian, try erase it before using Armbian SD image

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock0 bs=1M count=1

(1MiB looks good enough to disable previous bootloader)

1) Boot from Armbian image. I was using jammy-xfce image. Remember to finish up the setup. For some reason, it didn't detect my monitor properly, when screen is full, it doesn't scroll up, Had to press enter a lot to scroll screen and input correctly. Hope it can be fixed. (FYI. I am using 2K monitor)

2) In a terminal, run "armbian-install"

Select "4) "boot from SPI, system on SATA, USB or NVMe"

Select the partition for rootfs, format as EXT4 (didn't try btrfs)

It will copy rootfs to that partition.

Then it installs bootloader to SPI (mtdblock0)

It will ask to reboot in the end, don't do it for now.

3) The script updates armbianEnv.txt with new rootfs config in current /boot, which is 1st partition in SD. Apparently boot partition in NVMe needs update.

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt

sudo cp -r /boot/* /mnt

# You can also update armbianEnv.txt manually with "rootdev=/dev/nvme0n1p2" to point to correct NVMe rootfs partition.

# FAT doesn't support symbol link

cd /mnt

sudo cp -r dtb-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 dtb

sudo cp uInitrd-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 uInitrd
sudo cp vmlinuz-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 Image

4) Now we can shutdown OPi5. Take out SD and boot to NVMe

I haven't spent time to look into armbian-install, even though it is better than the script in official instruction, it needs improvements

-- Need automatically update boot partition in NVMe, and armbianEnv.txt as well

-- Maybe it is bootrom limitation, boot partition of NVMe can't be EXT4, therefore, symbol link is not available. It will require manual steps if future apt upgrade changes kernel/dtb/initramfs. Note that SD image does have EXT4 boot partition and it works fine.

-- After running on NVMe, /boot partition is not automatically mounted as /boot, instead, /boot dir of rootfs will be updated if kernel/dtb/initramfs is updated. Manual update of boot partition is required.

PS. I can only get 1080p GUI for now.

Edited by zjd

What I did to make it boot from NVME

Boot from sd-card with the NVME inserted

Install the bootloader to mtdblock

Write the downloaded Armbian image to the NVME with BalenaEtcher

Mount the boot partition of the nvme 

Edit boot.cmd and replace bold words in these lines:

setenv rootdev "/dev/nvme0n1p1"

# get PARTUUID of first partition on SD/eMMC the boot script was loaded from

if test "${devtype}" = "nvme"; then part uuid nvme ${devnum}:1 partuuid; fi

Then save and compile:

sudo  mkimage -C none -A arm64 -T script -d boot.cmd boot.scr

Shutdown and remove the sd-card

@Avatar Ng@Efe Çetin

Got exactly the same problem with the daily builds. Only a blinking cursor after startup. When i press the power button display comes back with the armbian shutdown logo. Got the beta beta build working on ssd but this daily builds looks like broken... :(

Edit: tried build 124 also broken...

Edited by haajee

First of all thanks for all the tips you all generous people are sharing, at least now mine official bullseye Debian image is able to get up and running on SPI Flash+SATA SSD, a bit tricky though.

Special thanks to @wizetek @Nodon and others helpful folks. It seems like NVMe SSD is default supported (bootloader "/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-legacy-orangepi5_1.0.8_arm64/rkspi_loader.img" ), however SATA SSD need a special bootloader (#1 /usr/share/orangepi5/rkspi_loader_sata.img ), #2 and also to enable following in /dev/sda1 (boot partition "/boot/orangepiEnv.txt"),

overlays=sata-ssd

which I believe is corresponded to  "/usr/lib/linux-image-legacy-rockchip-rk3588/rockchip/overlay/rk3588-ssd-sata.dtbo".

Speaking which I had a stupid idea, is it possible to some how patch this device into Armbian to make our life easier? including all the GPIO ones also? I tried armbian-add-overlay the whole "/usr/lib/linux-image-legacy-rockchip-rk3588/rockchip/rk3588s-orangepi-5.dtb" but I'm too dumb to get anything work as expected on Armbian (e.g. sata-ssd).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Avatar Ng
format so it's better to read

I’ve gave armbian opi5 Jammy xfce 0128 build a spin, it’s as haajee

said, worse than 0127 build, previously at least I can get my setup done and stuck on desktop loading, however I’m getting weird scaling when I’m doing initial setup (account setup).

And something I forgot to mention is on build 0127, I did manage to “fix” the desktop issue by using other CLI session to login and install Gnome, and then when I do startx it complains about missing initx, so after I install that seems I can boot into wayland gnome desktop session, I’m glad that the usbc to display is working now.

will try to supplement the stats tomorrow.

Edited by Avatar Ng
typo