Orange Pi 5 Support

Efe Çetin

Hey folks, so today I started to use the orange pi 5 as my daily driver for working. I'm using Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0143_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110, installed to my nvme ssd by using balenaetcher -- following the official docs on how to install the OS to the NVME SSD. Then I use tasksel to install Gnome as the Desktop Environment. Got couple time failure on the process, but repeating the process via `dpkg --configure -a` finally I'm able to install it.

I've tried multiple desktop environment, and Gnome with Wayland is working perfectly on top of Armbian. I don't really sure how to check the hardware acceleration is working or not, but comparing to KDE with x11, gnome feels faster and more smooth.

Tried to use HDMI, Type C as display, work out of the box. Audio & Mic via USB work perfectly. I also use all the ports, including the vertical usb. Vertical USB sometimes not working when you attach something to the board while it running. But if you attach it before runs the system, it works perfectly. Attaching webcam on type c works out of the box too.

Thanks for the effort folks! Really excited to see Armbian moving forward!

Edited by dirathea

@roykyeah, sorry about that. It started to work for me out of a sudden too. I just couldn't respond here due to 1 post/day limit until now:)

I'm not sure why it started to work, it's the same kernel/dtb version as before. I'll keep watching it on subsequent boots. There's nothing in dmesg about it, just suddenly /dev/cec0 shows up and works fine..

And works in kodi too, out of the box (the one from https://launchpad.net/~liujianfeng1994/+archive/ubuntu/rockchip-multimedia)

On my end with `Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0112_Orangepi5_bullseye_legacy_5.10.110.img` image I don't get working vertical USB port, either if plugged in before startup, either if after.

For reference this vertical USB port works when using the Orange Pi's provided `Orangepi5_1.0.6_debian_bullseye_desktop_xfce_linux5.10.110.img` image.

On my end with `Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0112_Orangepi5_bullseye_legacy_5.10.110.img` image I don't get working vertical USB port, either if plugged in before startup, either if after.

For reference this vertical USB port works when using the Orange Pi's provided `Orangepi5_1.0.6_debian_bullseye_desktop_xfce_linux5.10.110.img` image.

That was updated in later releases past version 132. Try updating to a later release

Hmm, 4k video play´s now smooth in Chrome and Firefox also on Youtube. But it didn´t use hardware codec i think. Cpu is loaded arround 30%. :)

@buvaluyi got the acrylic case. An SSD wil fit. I have now screw to mount the SSD. Just put some thick heatpad between the case and the SSD and it´s not perfectly flat. Also placed a 20x20x11 heatsink on the cpu and wil perfectly with a 3010 fan. Temperature is max 40 degrees celsius.

Edited by haajee

That was updated in later releases past version 132. Try updating to a later release

Great! Is there anything to do outside of the apt-get dance, a specific package to install or command to run? Or should I reflash the SD card with a newer image?

Edited by illwieckz

@Marvin RöschOne step further with passthrough audio, DTS and AC3 is working now, except the newer formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DTS-HD, it plays noise with these formats. In Pulseaudio you need to set it on stereo profile to show AC3,DTS,E-AC3 passthrough options. Kodi started with alsa does show the dts-hd and atmos passthrough options but do not work. Anyone an idea?

What I did:

sudo nano /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDMI-OUT.conf

# configuration for HDMI connection which just expose the
# audio out device

<confdir:pcm/hdmi.conf>

HDMI-OUT.pcm.hdmi.0 {
        @args [ CARD DEVICE CTLINDEX AES0 AES1 AES2 AES3 ]
        @args.CARD {
                type string
        }
        @args.DEVICE {
                type integer
        }
        @args.CTLINDEX {
                type integer
        }
        @args.AES0 {
                type integer
        }
        @args.AES1 {
                type integer
        }
        @args.AES2 {
                type integer
        }
        @args.AES3 {
                type integer
        }
        type hw
	card $CARD 
}

sudo nano /usr/share/alsa/cards/aliases.conf

rockchip-hdmi0 cards.HDMI-OUT

Info I found from 

3 hours ago, royk said:

What I did

Ah great, that is exactly what I did as well, so I guess I had misconfigured Kodi in some way that I didn't get any audio at all on my soundbar when using passthrough.

I've got at least a little further with my HDR DRM woes as well, the "support-multi-area" property in the device tree for vop was indeed what was required to make overlay planes show up. Unfortunately, all I get when trying to use these overlay planes from an application (e.g. moonlight-qt for game streaming with some adjustments to use a different pixel format) is a fully black or green screen. The HDR logo on my TV does show up, though, so it's a start! I haven't had too much time to look into it further the last few days, but I might investigate some more today.

Hi,

Thanks for making this distribution possible!!!....Just wondering approximately when will the stable (supported) version be available for OPI5 ? ... I am new to SBC's and armbian, struggling to make the WIP version work. Specifically booting from NVME and hardware acceleration. I would prefer to wait when everything will work out of the box...is that a realistic expectation?...please advise, thanks.

@sbcnewbieI expect the stable version will come around 11-12-2023 11:53am

You bought the wrong product to let everything work straight out of the box. It's a new SoC, it's actually amazing that most of the things already work.

Advice: Keep checking till it's ready or read a bit more and make it work. By just reading these 4 pages you should have enough information to begin. If something doesn't work somehow, you could ask for help including the details of what you've done.

8 hours ago, sbcnewbie said:

please advise

I advise that you do it the other way round: take a look at the download sections for stable distributions and buy one of those boards. A stable version of Armbian for the Orange Pi 5 might take months, years or never appear at all. All work here is done by voluntaries in their spare time, so don't expect anything, except you might have to learn how to do it yourself.

If you want something stable now, it might be worth taking a look at the official Orange Pi 5 software releases. I tested their Debian image and it worked so far, even transfer to and booting from NVMe. Didn't test graphics acceleration, though.

On 1/5/2023 at 2:06 AM, royk said:

@haajee

I had also some difficulties to get video hw acceleration in Chromium and Kodi, but now it's all working, even hdr10 and hdr8 do work in Kodi (gbm) by renaming the dtb overlay files from rock 5b to rk3588-.....

What I did to make it work: (perhaps some of the latest steps were not necessary, I was clueless)

It´s a little time ago. But i think i have hardware acceleration working under ubuntu-desktop. Or let i say so: by glxinfo -B i read the following:

name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: Panfrost (0xffffffff)
    Device: Mali-G610 (Panfrost) (0xffffffff)
    Version: 23.0.0
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 7689MB
    Unified memory: yes
    Preferred profile: compat (0x2)
    Max core profile version: 0.0
    Max compat profile version: 3.0
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.1
OpenGL vendor string: Panfrost
OpenGL renderer string: Mali-G610 (Panfrost)
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 23.0.0-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 23.0.0-devel
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10

But everything what i do. Under chromium Hardware-accelerated video encode is always under chrome://flags unavailable . Not available on your platform. But the same is the situation on my Dell laptop. And it looks like that youtube plays a lot smoother...

Anyone else: is it possible to integrate this driver in the release? :)

Going back through this thread you will find that this was implemented after the stable release. More recent images can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/armbian/build/releases.

Another tip: using nand-sata-install didn't work for me, but writing the image direct to NVMe did. This can be done using an NVMe-to-USB3.0 adapter or by running the Orange Pi 5 from SD card and then dd'ing the image to /dev/nvme0n1 directly (just use "bs=1M" to specify a blocksize that larger then the sector side of the SSD).

@Marco Schirrmeister

Thanks for the instructions dated January 5. I finally got Jammy Cinnamon desktop 22.11.4 to boot off NVMe w/o SD card after many failed attempts. I had to make the following modifications:

- I had to create the partitions in the NVMe drive using Gparted. The commands didn't work for me. I was just easier for me to use Gparted to duplicate the partitions.

- The command set UUID (blkid -o export /dev/nvme0n1p2 | grep -E '(^UUID=)' | cut -d '=' -f 2) returned the error syntax error near unexpected token `('

With the help of ChatGPT, I replaced it with the command UUID=$(blkid -o export /dev/nvme0n1p2 | grep -E '(^UUID=)' | cut -d '=' -f 2)

- Some of the commands require a sudo pretext.

As you can tell, I'm just a noob but managed to make it work with some help.

@grablife

You are right, I should have mentioned a few more things on what this is based on.

sudo/root, yes, since all of this is very low level stuff, I typically switch to root and run all commands instead of sudo'ing each command

The "set UUID" command has a syntax for the "fish" shell. For bash you figured out the correct syntax. 🙂

On 1/9/2023 at 1:09 PM, buvaluy said:

Does anybody use aliexpress acrilic case for OP5?  Does it have enought room for ssd at the bottom?

It does not, unfortunately if u mean 2.5" SSD. There should be enough room for the m.2 2242 (the short version, not the long one)

Edited by pazzoide

Orange Pi 5 running Armbian latest official 'stable' release OS name "Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, Gnome version 42.5, Windowing System X11. Graphics llvmpipe(LLVM 15.0.6, 128 bits). No HDMI output.

Video from the type C output using an external converter to HDMI is functioning nicely. Have installed all current updates as of 27 Feb 2023, with no success in getting HDMI to function.

Confirmed cable and monitor to be totally functional.

Would like to get the HDMI output to function. Are there any specific drivers or action I should be taking to make this happen?

Hi has anyone else had problems getting a Logitech k740 keyboard detected? Its a pretty common illuminated kb.
Its not working on my Orange Pi 5 latest image with ubuntu desktop.

I tried it on my windows pc and its working fine there. Also works on my raspberry Pi 4b.

I plugged another keyboard in and that works.