How to make internet work on H96 MAX Allwinner H616?

0xNLC099

Hello,

In these last two days i tried everything to make internet work, flashed over 10 .img files of armbian, orange pi zero 2 and i did boot into system using legacy kernel 4.9.x both on armbian and orange pie zero jammy, bullseye but in all these system i had the same problem, no internet connection, i tried some fixes that i saw here in the forum like limiting to 100MB/s the internet connection but even with that, it was not solved.

So, i want to know if there's any know whay to fix that ?

I just want to use this TvBox to make a budge local server with pi-hole and nextcloud.

I got to make pi-hole work using Pi-hole for Android on github repo but couldn't make nextcloud work and even if i could, it would still be running through android and make the performance even worst that already is.

First please read the following TV Box FAQ post: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/16976-status-of-armbian-on-tv-boxes-please-read-first

Second, of the three major TV Box CPU families (Rockchip, Amlogic and Allwinner) Allwinner has the least support within the community.  There are a couple of allwinner knowledgeable people who occassionally post in this sub-forum, but there is little effort towards TV Boxes on allwinner cpus.

Third, my best guess is that you need to either find or modify a dtd file to be specific to your hardware.  If you are using the legacy linux kernel you might be successful in extracting the dtb from android and trying that one.

6 hours ago, SteeMan said:

Third, my best guess is that you need to either find or modify a dtd file to be specific to your hardware.  If you are using the legacy linux kernel you might be successful in extracting the dtb from android and trying that one.

So, i'm actually very noob trating about this matter of android/kernel/linux and i could not find anything solid in search engine (duckduckgo) how i could extract the dtb from the android and put in armbian/orangepizero2 linux distribution.

But in the box i'm using a version with magisk root, if possible can u tell me how can i do that ? extract the dtb from android and put in the MicroSD with the armbian, i'm using MiXplorer has a file manager with root, so i have access to all system files

The kernel version that the TvBox is running with android is 4.9.170

Here some pictures of the TvBox info if it can help with anything https://imgur.com/a/fvmJeBM

Edited by 0xNLC099

45 minutes ago, 0xNLC099 said:

So, i'm actually very noob trating about this matter of android/kernel/linux

You might want to consider either getting something that is supported or using a usb ethernet dongle.  Otherwise you have a steep learning curve ahead of you.

I've personally never needed to extract a dtb from android, so I can't provide any guidance beyond what I have mentioned above.

6 hours ago, SteeMan said:

You might want to consider either getting something that is supported or using a usb ethernet dongle.

I didn't thought about that, so if i buy a usb ethernet dongle it'll be automatically recognized by armenian/orangepizero2 os ?

Edited by 0xNLC099

On 12/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, SteeMan said:

If the dongle is well supported by mainline linux then it should be supported under armbian (you may need to install armbian-firmware-full)

Sorry reopening ths thread after a few months but i bought a usb wireless network dongle and i'm having a ferw troubles to make it work with Armbian

I can use the latest legacy image from https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-zero-2/ and it boots but even with the dongle plugged it doesn't detect a wifi adapter and with the latest kernel it doesn't even boot, no signal to display.

The adapter uses RTL8822bu chipset.

But using the latest .img with the latest kernel (5.16.17) from official orangepizero2 http://www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/computerAndMicrocontrollers/details/Orange-Pi-Zero-2.html i can boot in to the system and the system detec the usb wireless network dongle

There's any way i can fix it by myself ?

1 hour ago, 0xNLC099 said:

with the latest kernel it doesn't even boot, no signal to display.

Try building from source. IIRC boot on old framework  on edge kernel was broken but fixed on main.