zfs support kernel header 5.15.80-rockchip64

n3o

Dear to all, I'm not expert. How can I add kernel header of zfs to linux kernel 5.15.80-rockchip64? I have run the command  "apt install dkms zfs-dkms" and I've got the following output:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
dkms is already the newest version (2.8.4-3).
Suggested packages:
debhelper
Recommended packages:
zfs-zed zfsutils-linux linux-libc-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
zfs-dkms
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 2297 kB of archives.
After this operation, 18.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports/contrib arm64 zfs-dk ms all 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1 [2297 kB]
Fetched 2297 kB in 0s (5427 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package zfs-dkms.
(Reading database ... 78864 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../zfs-dkms_2.1.6-3~bpo11+1_all.deb ...
Unpacking zfs-dkms (2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) ...
Setting up zfs-dkms (2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) ...
Loading new zfs-2.1.6 DKMS files...
Building for 5.15.80-rockchip64
Building initial module for 5.15.80-rockchip64
Done.

zavl.ko.xz:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- No original module exists within this kernel
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/5.15.80-rockchip64/updates/dkms/

znvpair.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

zunicode.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

zcommon.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

zfs.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

icp.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

zlua.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

spl.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

zzstd.ko.xz:
- Original module
- Installation

depmod......

DKMS: install completed.
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.80-rockchip64
update-initramfs: Converting to u-boot format

if I try to execute "apt install zfsutils-linux" I've got

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

zfsutils-linux : Depends: libnvpair3linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.1.2-1~20.04.york0 is to be installed

Depends: libuutil3linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.1.2-1~20.04.york0 is to be installed

Depends: libzfs4linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.1.2-1~20.04.york0 is to be installed

Depends: libzpool5linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.1.2-1~20.04.york0 is to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Moreover here https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/45376-zfs-version/  ryecoaaron has told me "you really need to make sure the kernel headers are installed first. Then install zfs-dkms. Then install the plugin."

How can I install prerequisite so after I can install omv6 zfs plugin also?

p.s.1: omv6 zfs-armhf should be installed only in 32 bit instruction set of arm?
p.s.2: to mod: if section if thread is wrong please move to right section.

Edited by n3o
add output "apt install zfsutils-linux"

3 hours ago, n3o said:

Dear to all, I'm not expert. How can I add kernel header of zfs to linux kernel 5.15.80-rockchip64? I

You did it right. Problem was on our side and it was corrected. Please give 48h before trying again from a fresh image to make sure our packages network is synchronised. 

11 minutes ago, Igor said:

That you don't try to fix this image but start with a fresh. I mean you can - if you know how.

If I have understood ... I should follow this tut https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/ running "./compile.sh BOARD=helios64.csc BRANCH=current KERNEL_ONLY=no RELEASE=buster" to make a bootable image such images listed here https://wiki.kobol.io/download/ ... but in that way I should make a clean install? There isn't another way to update current installation ?

1 hour ago, Igor said:

:) Sorry if I was not very clear. No, just download image and install ZFS the same way as you did. It should work.

image 21.05.1 in kobol site is old... I have a backup image (made with Win32DiskImager) with omv5 (before update to omv6) but also that image, with omv5, when I have tried to install ZFS plugin I have got the same error. Moreover, omv5 has been deprecated and when I update omv to release 6 automatically the kernel is being updated, so I have still the issue. So the best thing is add header to current kernel...

Edited by n3o

Aha, I see ... didn't understand it right.

Well, I have fixed one problem regarding ZFS ... We have stop making images for this hardware as we don't have not a fraction of resources for maintaining ... but kernel updates are running out and automated community (but only with test user space) builds exists (no idea about status). Its out of our control when it comes to this hardware. It might work, it might not work. I read few days ago that image made from sources works (again), but this is a rummer, not an official information.  Going that route should be good I guess (sorry for directing you to the download that is outdated / non existing).

20 hours ago, Igor said:

Well, I have fixed one problem regarding ZFS ...

If I run "apt install linux-headers-current-rockchip64" I'll get "linux-headers-current-rockchip64 is already the newest version (22.11.1)." . What kernel version do You have fixed?

32 minutes ago, Igor said:

I didn't fix kernel but ZFS packages.

I have still the same errors when I run "sudo apt install zfsutils-linux"

zfsutils-linux : Depends: libnvpair3linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.0.3-9 is to be installed
                  Depends: libuutil3linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.0.3-9 is to be installed
                  Depends: libzfs4linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.0.3-9 is to be installed

Edited by n3o

Just now, n3o said:

have still the same errors

zfsutils-linux : Depends: libnvpair3linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.0.3-9 is to be installed
                  Depends: libuutil3linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.0.3-9 is to be installed
                  Depends: libzfs4linux (= 2.1.6-3~bpo11+1) but 2.0.3-9 is to be installed

This is not Armbian issue anymore - it seems Debian repository or from where you are getting ZFS is borked to some degree. I installed ZFS on Debian several time and didn't run into this. This way:

I assume you started with a clean image as if this 

15 minutes ago, Igor said:

I assume you started with a clean image as if thi

I have installed a armbian buster image native, after that I have installed OMV 5. When I have update to OMV 6 I have no more buster image, but bullseye. So there are 3 street that I can do:

1. execute "sudo apt -t bullseye-backports install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux" instead of "sudo apt -t buster-backports install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux" (it will be possible?);

2. find a way to install all package of image buster in my installation and after follow the tut that You have posted

3. restore my backup image of buster and omv 5 and try to update to omv 6 with buster packages (it will be possible?)

What street I should make?

My goal is have omv6 and zfs plugin ... on Helios64 wiki is told that buster image is more stable then bullseye image... but there is a way to have buster image, zfs and omv 6?

Edited by n3o

ok I have runned armbian-config utility, removed headers, installed header kernel, and then runned "sudo apt -t bullseye-backports install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux". All has worked fine, so I have tried to install plugin "openmediavault-zfs 6.0.12" and finally have installed it.

Thank You

p.s.: what issues I can have with bullseye image?

1 hour ago, n3o said:

after that I have installed OMV 5. When I have update to OMV 6

Here is a problem which runs beyond my knowledge and Armbian.

1 hour ago, n3o said:

on Helios64 wiki is told that buster image is more stable then bullseye image.

Vendor does not exists anymore and I assume nobody adjust web pages. Bullseye is today latest stable, year(s) back it was buster ... 

I have runned armbian-config utility, removed headers, installed header kernel, and then runned "sudo apt -t bullseye-backports install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux". All has worked fine, so I have tried to install plugin "openmediavault-zfs 6.0.12" and finally have installed it.

@Igor Yesyerday I have updated armbian to 5.15.89, even I still have create zfs pool, with the only installation of zfs plugin I have the following error from open media vault 6 web gui:

"500 - Internal Server Error
Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; zfs list -p -H -o name,mountpoint -t filesystem' with exit code '1':"

in ssh console:

sudo apt -t bullseye-backports install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux

zfs-dkms is already the newest version (2.1.7-1~bpo11+1).
zfsutils-linux is already the newest version (2.1.7-1~bpo11+1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 70 not upgraded.

apt install dkms zfs-dkms

dkms is already the newest version (2.8.4-3).
zfs-dkms is already the newest version (2.1.7-1~bpo11+1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

between dkms and zfs-dkms there is a mismatch version... is that the cause of problem?

if I want that running sudo apt -t bullseye-backports install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux are downloaded the source of zfs 2.1.8 so I can compile it with dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms I must ask to their ? I thinked that You make available packages on server.... what does I write preciously to their?

33 minutes ago, n3o said:

if I want that running sudo apt -t bullseye-backports install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux are downloaded the source of zfs 2.1.8 so I can compile it with dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms I must ask to their ?

You are pointing to some sources on Github and asking me how to compile this? The answer is: "I don't know without research". Since you need this, you will need to find out. This has nothing to do with Armbian or me. You want to run version that is not provided as package and there is nothing I can do for you.

34 minutes ago, n3o said:

I thinked that You make available packages on server

I will ask developers that I will hire with your help to do this for you. I don't have time to deal with this, sorry.

Our current system relied on a person contribution that recently passed away. 
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/23643-armbian-uefi-arm64-and-x86/#comment-158066

3 hours ago, Igor said:

You are pointing to some sources on Github and asking me how to compile this? The answer is: "I don't know without research". Since you need this, you will need to find out. This has nothing to do with Armbian or me. You want to run version that is not provided as package and there is nothing I can do for you.

no, I want ask if it's possible made a package from sources 2.1.8 and add to repository so all can download updated packages

3 hours ago, Igor said:

I will ask developers that I will hire with your help to do this for you. I don't have time to deal with this, sorry.

Our current system relied on a person contribution that recently passed away. 
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/23643-armbian-uefi-arm64-and-x86/#comment-158066

rip for that user

28 minutes ago, n3o said:

no, I want ask if it's possible made a package from sources 2.1.8 and add to repository so all can download updated packages

No, that is not possible since untested packages won't be shipped. If you pay time wasted for testing, why not, but that you ofc didn't have intention. You expect I pay that for you, right? We don't have any budget for manual or automated testing of this feature. Its a suicide & waste of time mission from this project perspective. If you wanna play, download sources, build and test. It is no way to cover expenses for your wishes. If you can't wait few days or weeks that upstream automation provides you next version, you need to build from sources or find 3rd party PPA / repo that contains this. No other way.