Running a Custom Kernel for Jetson Nano

trev1no2

Question

I'm currently working on getting a custom kernel (5.4 kernel which was modified for a specific need regarding containers) running on a Jetson Nano. I've tried running the kernel image on NVIDIA's Jetpack but that didn't work. I've tried building the image directly on the Nano running Armbian and it hasn't really worked so far. It seems to either brick the Nano or not update the kernel version after an install (depending on if I replace /boot/Image). Would you all have any suggestions of what I can try or if it’s even possible? Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

Are you sure your kernel is working at all? Show the output of the UART console with your kernel.

Yes, the Kernel does work when it is loaded onto a VM and is ran through QEMU or when loaded and ran as the default Kernel on a Raspberry Pi (Pi 4 model B). If it matters, the kernel I'm using originates from 'ubuntu linux-raspi 5.4.55' kernel. (Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi with kernel version 5.4.55). I can get logs for either if you'd like.

@trev1no2 What you are trying to do is possible, but it is likely to be a lot of work.  You can't just take a kernel built to support one cpu/board and expect it to run on another board.  That is why for example Armbian needs to build 20+ different kernels to support the variety of cpu/boards that Armbian can run on.  So a kernel built for a RPi won't simply run on a Jetson Nano.

You say you have tried to build the image on the Nano running Armbian.  What version of Armbian?

Since you are trying to build this, I'm assuming this 'patched kernel' you are talking about is a series of source code patches that you are trying to apply on top of a specific kernel version (apparently 5.4 in your case).  One problem is that the 5.4 kernel is 3 years old and Armbian has moved on to more recent kernels.  So you will either need to port your patches to the more current kernels armbian supports, or get a 5.4 kernel working on your board.  If you go down the 5.4 route, then your first step would be to get a generic 5.4 kernel working on your board (i.e. don't worry about the patches yet, just see if you can build a 5.4 kernel that you can get running on your board).  Once you have that working then you can deal with patching your kernel with your patches.  However, my recommendation would be to not try to going with a 5.4 kernel, but porting the patches to the current Armbian kernel and using the Armbian build framework to build your kernel.

17 часов назад, trev1no2 сказал:

Yes, the Kernel does work when it is loaded onto a VM and is ran through QEMU or when loaded and ran as the default Kernel on a Raspberry Pi (Pi 4 model B). If it matters, the kernel I'm using originates from 'ubuntu linux-raspi 5.4.55' kernel. (Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi with kernel version 5.4.55). I can get logs for either if you'd like.

Using qemu to check the kernel - it shows nothing and has nothing to do with the actual operation of the kernel. such a "test" is useless. The source code from rpi is basically not suitable for Jetson Nano, so what you have compiled will not work on JN.