How to install on nvme

JulienD

Hello,

Some weeks ago, I installed the kinetic version. It was rooted on the nvme drive and was working decently. After some explanations on this forum, I decided to install

the LTS version.

I burned a new SD card, inserted it and powered on.

I was never prompt about where to install the system. After installation, the df command shows that the system is installed on the sd card.

I can see nvme partitions in /dev but they aren't mounted.

nvme is partitionned in two parts : one for the system, the other one is crypted and dedicated to data.

How should I do?

Thanks

Julien

Hello,

Following up this thread, I removed all partitions from nvme ie starting at the same point as I did with kinetic development version

and tried a fresh new install of LTS version (freshly flashed to sd card).

I still did not have to opportunity to install system on nvme.

So what's the trick to install system on nmve?

Thanks

Julien

On 2/4/2023 at 6:55 PM, JulienD said:

So what's the trick to install system on nmve?

You do understand that you can't remove SD card? Not yet, as boot loader for SPI that would be able to boot modern kernel directly is not developed yet.

Otherwise it should be plain simple: armbian-install, then SD card boot, nvme root ...

Hi Julien,

I suspect you are hitting the bug that I commented on in the following thread.

There is a bug in the installer version on the current Odroid M1 download. When the installer lists potential target NVMe drives, unless that NVMe drive has a valid filesystem on it, it won't show up in the list (this is fixed in the upstream code, but a new build hasn't occurred to include this fix).

The fix is to create a partition with an empty filesystem on the NVMe drive, it will then be detected by the installer. In my case, I just created a partition the full size of the NVMe and use mkfs.ext4, it was then detected by the Armbian installer running on the SD card, and worked as expected from then on (installing root on NVMe, leaving /boot on the SD card).

Edited by pixdrift

There is an error in the installation script: in /etc/fstab for the boot sdcard is the "UUID=" missing before the UUID...
After booting is an error message.
Type in the root password and edit the /etc/fstab, than it's works...
Volker