Armbian MXQ PRO 4K s905...no work!

Mario663

Hi with the curiosity of being able to install Armbian I got a friend to give me an MXQ PRO 4K similar to mine in aesthetics but with different hardware this one has a s905 processor below I release the info screens. I renamed u-boot-s905 to u-boot.ext with .dtb p200 because I understand from the info that this model mounts the hardware, then I boot with the toothpick method and it stops on the screen in the picture below, I tried both from SD and from usb pendrive same result!

extilux.conf

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /uImage
INITRD /uInitrd

FDT /dtb-6.1.0-meson64/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p201.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb

append root=UUID=999837fd-ddfc-4ce5-b624-7d109af0d3f8  rw no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash.armbian

Screenshot_2023-01-02-09-25-14.png

Screenshot_2023-01-02-09-25-57.png

Screenshot_2023-01-02-09-26-59.png

As the instructions say you need to try *all* dtbs of a given type to find the one that best matches your hardware.  P200 is just the reference board designation, it is nothing special.  All of the gxbb dtbs are essentially p200 variants.  There are 10s if not 100s of different boards using the s905, each with unique hardware, each requiring a different dtd that matches that hardware.  But the vast majority of boards do not have matching mainline kernel dtb.  So we try the ones that do exist and hopefully one works good enough (but it is highly unlikely that it will work well - which is why in the FAQ it says not to expect things like wifi and Bluetooth to work at all)

Ok I managed to find in DTB the right armbian version Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Aml-s9xx-box_kinetic_edge_6.1.0_xfce_desktop.img.xz now I type Help and from this, what command should I give to start the graphical environment?

I attach the config file

7786B812-7B6A-4579-B1FE-6AEF721C1EF1.jpeg

extlinux.conf

oky 2.jpg

Edited by Mario663

i tried all the gxbb dtb files but they all gave me the same screen...i don't know what to do?

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /uImage
INITRD /uInitrd

FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-wetek-play2.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-wetek-hub.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-vega-s95-telos.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-vega-s95-pro.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-vega-s95-meta.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p201.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-nexbox-a95x.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-nanopi-k2.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-kii-pro.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
append root=UUID=999837fd-ddfc-4ce5-b624-7d109af0d3f8  rw no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash.armbian

extlinux.conf

Edited by Mario663

Your extlinux.conf file is corrupted.  It has windows newline characters added to the end of each line. 

The boot output shows:

Ignoring unknown command: FDT

Ignoring unknown command: append

Is showing that the contents of the extlinux.conf file can't be read properly.  When I downloaded the file you attached to your post, I can see the windows characters in your file.

You should be able to do that.  Start with a clean  version (do a new download of the image), then google for how to edit files on windows in ways that doesn't add window newline characters.

However I changed also the final striga always does the same thing!

append root=UUID=a9d31d97-348f-4685-9a2c-675531952cd1 rw no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash.armbian

51 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

I'm not sure you have the skills necessary to be using linux on a tv box.

I see that many are having problems to be able to configure it so all of us who have difficulty ask for help and it cannot be served, what is the purpose of the forum !!?

TV Boxes are not supported by Armbian.  This forum is provided for the community to share information.  It is not a support forum.  I am only one person, and I volunteer my time to help.  But I can't teach people linux or basic skills that they should already have, or at least be able to figure out themselves with the help of google.  I have pointed you in the direction you need to look, but if you are unwilling to do any of the work, then then linux on a tv box isn't for you.  As the FAQ link I just posted says, these boxes are really only useful to run servers.  If you are running a linux server, I expect you have basic linux skills in which to do that, and anyone who has been around linux/unix for any length of time, knows about the evils that windows editors do to linux text files and would know how to fix them.

beyond all the novels you've written!! I am experimenting with other builds with kernel 3.14 of which they have the deb file in which it is not present in the latest builds and with this the deb file starts correctly something like now I don't remember as I inserted it into the pendrive but something like gxb_1G_100_realtek.deb!

FYI 3.14 was released in 2014, last received security fixes in 2016. So by now it has hundreds of known security vulnerabilities that are not patched.  Why would you even think of using something like that?

2 hours ago, SteeMan said:

Why would you even think of using something like that?

because it has the dtb and the kernel that boot for sure, I've tried many dtb's of various releases and gxbb the only one that starts up and then freezes on that screen is that of the last release if yes, the others are stuck on the initial logo!

You can't mix and match different distributions.  Each expects the boot environment to be setup in a specific way by multiboot (multiboot is what is setup when you press the reset button at power on).  That is why some old builds will use things like uenv.txt vs extlinuc.conf i the new builds.  As your video here showed (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/25519-armbian-mxq-pro-4k-s905no-work/?do=findComment&comment=156933) you had it booting to the point of finding the corrupted extlinux.conf file.  So I go back to you needed to deal with that issue first.   I can't and wont spend my time helping diagnose issues with old builds from unknown origins.

My overall recommendation for you would be to restore your box to the original android firmware so it is in a known starting state.  Then follow the steps in the instructions using only a linux machine to edit the extlinux.conf file (don't allow the sd card to touch a windows machine).

42 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

My overall recommendation for you would be to restore your box to the original android firmware so it is in a known starting state. 

OK friend! I'm already on Android on lollipop 5.1 ... so I'm doing so I re-downloaded 23.02.0 and I'm remastering it on SD! and then put it all away!