ORANGE PI 5 OPI5 micro desktop case design

berin

I have created a micro desktop case. It's an open design that is still in the creation phase. The shell is 3d printed, the sides are acrylic, and the opi5 mount panel can be 3d printed or made from acrylic. I'm looking for feedback with design suggestions/needs. This is the first real opi5 micro tower design currently for OPI5. My cad drawing of the OPI5 mainboard is 99.9% accurate, so if someone wants to use that as a footprint for other projects by all means. 

https://github.com/berin-aquaquad/orange-pi-5

I am using DesignSpark Mechanical a free cad software that is on par with Fusion360. The shell has been designed as a split body so smaller 3d printers can create it. Again, this is a work in progress, and nothing is set in stone.

615279957_opi5microdesktopbackandsideview.thumb.jpg.eea538511ba25e74563056c43c7e218d.jpg 

Planned design additions for consideration:

• Headphone jack front or back.
  • USB on front.
  • Stats LCD on front.
  • 3D printed power button to press power button on OPI5 motherboard.
  • GPIO header for external access, "custom design or standard web link to example, I need feedback ".
  • RTC battery holder to make use of the onboard RTC.
  • RGB Micro Desktop case LIGHTING options?

On 1/10/2023 at 11:31 PM, berin said:

Does anyone have any input on this design?

Yes, i have. ;) The possibilitie to add 4020 fan in the case instead of a 3010. The most 3010 fans are really noisy and if an 4020 will fit is it possible to add the Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM. And the is a lot more silent!

Yes there is plenty of room. The design is not FIXED I can adjust anything design and dimension wise. That is part of why I have not built it yet I'm still working on the working design. The only dimension I have not show is the width. The case width is 62mm wide the core body. The only place the fan would not fit is the back do to the opi5 I/O and non-added i/o. Someone else asked about adding a mount for upto a 2280 SSD. This can be done as well. Just not directly mounted to the opi5, the m.2 header is in a poor location and direction on the back of the board. A remote m.2 board with a ribbon cable would work just fine. I just dont have one on hand or the need for one. If someone would like to send me an m.2 2280 ssd (any GIG size working or not) and a remote m.2 adapter as described, I'll gladly adjust the cad for an option to use it. In the next week or two I may start to build the tower. At that point I'll do a full publication of everything for spacing mount sizes, types everything. I just have a lot going on and I'm trying to finish a cad drawing for a new bar to be built in the main aft desk salan for a mega yacht (my industry/living) Sadly income/work comes first.

211020821_opi5microdesktopdimensions.thumb.jpg.d99ee7d78b8678fcfe6ee13b8645bedf.jpg

Edited by berin

Should I do a single combo headphone/mic jack just like what is on the OPI5? or should I break it out into a headphone jack and a mic jack on the front of the case? Also where would you guys like to see the power button? on the front vertical or the 45 degree face? I can not add an SD extension. extension adapters disable the insertion sensor in the SD socket on the board because its a physical hardware switch. So the OPI5 would never know when a card is inserted or removed because the extension adapter is always inserted into the onboard SDcard socket. The power button will be on the front vertical face no matter what. I'm not about to make some complicated lever system to push a dead straight on button (K.I.S.S.).

Edited by berin

Hello just got home from work. As to working aspect of the OPI5 check the documents from the orange pi web site. http://www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/computerAndMicrocontrollers/service-and-support/Orange-pi-5.html  . 

The heatsink I'm using is this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZV1LLWK Its for the RPI4 ice tower low profile.

The aluminum spacer block I built, the Cad files are on my github listed in the first post including the cad for building it and the steel mounting brackets pictured above.

The mounting standoffs are these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DMSNB8X That I am using. I have not had time but I'm going to do a build write up as I get free time. In short the bottom standoffs are the 6mm "barrels" the top are the 10mm with thread. That allows a person to use "screws" on the mounting plane so they can remove the OPI5 board easy from the backside.

Let me know if this helps?

Edited by berin
missing info

Ok I'm trying to find a USBC cable. 4-6" long MALE USBC with a 90 degree plug to plug into the OPI5. A straight, or mount able by nut, screws, or clamp USBC female end. More or less I'm looking for a 4-6" USBC extension cable. Also this cable needs to be rated "Thunderbolt" That means it can do HDMI, 20gbps RATED.  and 100watts rated or something like that.

If anyone knows the model of the audio jack on the OPI5 I'm trying to find the PCB mounted part. 

Edited by berin

11 часов назад, berin сказал:

Let me know if this helps?

I have read the documentation published on the internet for this processor. But I did not find the characteristics of heat dissipation.
I just assumed that you were able to find out this experimentally or learned this data from other sources.

I also assumed that in the paper documentation attached to the radiator with a fan, the maximum power that it can divert into the air is written.

I want to estimate the heat dissipation capacity for this processor before I purchase this device.
Up to now, I have made do with simpler solutions for these small boards.

I am trying to find a USB extension cable like this. It is a USB-C extension cable with a 90-degree plug.  But I'm looking for a version that is the 20gbps Thunderbolt rated about 4 - 6 " long. the 10gbps is not thunderbolt rated. If anyone knows of a source please let me know.

1242327804_usbthunderbolt.thumb.jpg.afa39e5dda1367fb6b9e9eef938b1785.jpg

So I didnt get to do much of anything for the OPI5 micro case this weekend. I DID update the cad drawings, they now are updated to the standoffs I am using. The desktop case is now in a V1.0 basic design. Anything beyond this point will be versions split between the front half and the rear half of the case. This will allow anyone wanting to build the case to have custom options if I or someone else creates a new feature build. JUST AN FYI, i HAVE BEEN RUNNING my opi5 for a few hours now. and it is stone cold with the rpi heatsink. I have not done any benchmarks yet but even running screensavers is not heating the heasink up at all.

Edited by berin

I finally got a chance to mill out the acrylic opi5 back plane. I discovered I was off by a millimeter or two so I'm updating the cad drawing. If you're building my case design. Please double check all measurements before committing to a build, in case I made an error.

215288946-a3bde6f3-7f01-4628-99d5-ae7feb

Ok I just spend hours poring over the CAD drawings. I have discovered the source of my measurements error and have now corrected it. All effected cad files have been updated with corrections. I thought I was having lost steps on my cnc machine when I made the steel heatsink brackets. It would not surprised me considering my cnc machine is not made to cut steel. When I cut the first attempt of the back plane for mounting the OPI5 the holes didn't match up at all. Oh sh!t we have a problem. I have had no comments to me with issues which leads me to believe no one has built (fully) the design yet including me.

Edited by berin

I'm doing a sizing test print, been doing work cad work all day long :(..     I own a "mini delta 3d printer, mine tends to have an issue with print size %. often under or over by 1-2% hence I wont post any cura output files unless someone has the same 3d printer. according to my first test my delta 3d printers print is undersized by 1.471% doing second print with adjustment. And I'm now doing an other test print at 1.6% increase so thats 101.6% trying to get the print size accurate. And I have settled on 101.65% for my MP MINI DELTA 3d printer. Sucks I will have to print the halfs in a vertical setup with an aggressive support setup. When I DO the prints I'll post my 3d print settings.

Edited by berin

FINALLY I got a free min.  Tonights project is milling the side and if I have time re-cutting the mounting plane. I am using  Tuffak-ar abrasion resistant polycarbonate sheet 1/8 th material. I am using it not because its expensive but because I have access to it. I'll post photos later tonight when done. Sorry I've been quiet, but I'm stuck with a "project" at work that the manager "above me" totally screwed up and committed us to the job that should not be done. nothing but issues and @#$%#@$% discovery's. I keep having to adapt things to save the progress. finally past most of the BS at this point nock on wood. As of this writing I'm JUST starting to setup my cnc machine.

After more unexpected delays I AM milling the acrylic parts right now Saturday night 2/4/2023. I have also made more changes to the cad drawings  the side panel covers. I'll be loading those to the git repo later tonight after the milling job is done.

I have just ordered one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WXR8N9/  "MakerFocus I2c OLED Display 0.96 Inch IIC Serial LCD LED Module". I will get it next weekend with any luck. When I get it I will add the footprint to the cad drawing, my plan it to mount it in the 45-degree section of the case design. I also JUST ordered a new larger 3d printer. When I get that in the mail and all setup I will finally "print" the main body of the case. If anyone has any idea's suggestions. I'm always all ears, FYI there have been very few comments on any forum regarding this case design. As to the 3d printer, I ordered the "Creality Ender 3 Neo 3D" with some extra bells and whistles. The first upgrade I'll do when I get the 3d printer is a back angle support posts. Also I'm toying with the idea of creating a custom light up milled/3d printed  power button. more or less a ring of the acrylic material embeded as part of the 3d print. With a 3d printed button that presses the power button on the OPI5. The other option is to solder some wire leads to the button. I'm not a fan of soldering to non solder test points.

I just finished designing  a new feature for the OPI5 micro desktop. I'm not going to announce what it is but will be interesting to see if anyone talks about it. The new cad file update has been committed to the git repo, I wonder if I will get any feedback on the design. No photos or other files have been updated.

Edited by berin

So AMAZON had there first ever screw up with me and packages. My new 3d printer never showed up and I was home at the time, nore did I miss it per the security footage.  Finally got it resolved and got my money back, and I just got a fully  pre built 3d printer from a local big box office store. TONIGHT I am starting the first shell print. I'm printing the back case section. I'll have photos some time tomorrow. My current settings I'm looking at about 6 hours print time. I only have red PLA on hand so... so be it.

So looking at my aft section print I discovered some issues. I'm working on the CAD drawing a bit today I may or may not be done and update the GIT repo with updated CAD files today. I am also adding a wire retainment setup for the power wire with a filler peace. That will allow the usb power cable to go in the back and be neat.