Amlogic S905W2 64bit Cortex A35

alexgolyd

The s905w2 is a new cpu from amlogic.  As far as I know no one has tried to get mainline linux running on tv boxes containing that cpu  Generally when a manufacturer comes out with a new cpu it takes the main line linux community a couple of years to get a stable system working on it (if there is enough community support).  So I would suggest you use your box as an android box and come back in a year or so to see if there has been any movement to support this cpu. Or if you have the skills work on bringing support for the cpu into mainline linux.

Hi,

You don't need a u-boot.ext to boot.  You can perfectly boot a  mainline kernel with a stock vendor u-boot.

The DTB you found for coreelec is a dtb for the vendor 5.4 kernel. That DTB is not compatible with mainline kernels.

There is some mainline kernel work being done for the Meson S4 (S905W2 is a Meson S4) at the moment. 

On my Github page I have a Debian and Ubuntu image containing a mainline compatible DTB for the S905W2. Everything works to create a headless Linux server. But there is no HDMI or sound yet unfortunately.

@Devmfc I'm using your image for S905w2, on the T95W2 TV box, help me start Wi-FI.

I have dts from the android firmware of my T95w2 TV box. There is also a dts from linux (meson-s4) on which I have a TV box running, but no Wi-FI

Can you tell me how to make changes to dts correctly in order to register the necessary SDIO bus?

I will install the SP6330 drivers myself

android-T95w2-2g.dts.7z meson-s4-s905w2-ap201.dts.7z

P.S. Thank you for your work

Edited by Energokom

Hi,

You are posting on the Armbian forum.

The images you refer to are not Armbian images.

The people of Armbian don't like their forum be polluted with non-Armbian support request. I think that is quite understandable, don't you?

That being said, this answer is also true for Armbian tvbox, so maybe the answer is allowed: 

All those tvboxes are different, even if they look the same or even have the same 'model name' from the outside.

Especially the wifi modules are a lottery. So you have to be lucky to get a standard supported wifi module. And otherwise you'll have to learn a lot, google a lot to get wifi working. That's the 'fun' of tinkering with those cheap boxes. If you want a working wifi and don't want to learn all that... you are better of buying a well supported SBC instead.

Some pointers that might be helpful:

• decompile the dtb and look if the aml_wifi gpio's for power are the same gpios as in the DTB you use for mainline linux (sdio-pwrseq node) 
  • sometimes it can help to lower the max-frequency property for the sdio node
  • run
    ( vendev=( $( cat /sys/bus/mmc/devices/mmc2:*/{vendor,device} ) ) && echo "wifi SDIO ID: ${vendev[0]}:${vendev[1]}" )
     to get the driver vendor ID and device ID. If that doesn't work, previous two points are probably not ok. (Or wifi is not on SDIO bus, but is not very likely)
  • (alternatively) open the box, look for the wifi markings and search google for the linux driver source and compile that driver

Have fun!

Edited by Devmfc

16 hours ago, Devmfc said:

So you have to be lucky to get a standard supported wifi module

I have sp6330

On github, you said:

devmfc 5 days ago

would expect the sp6330 to work... You could try to install the full firmware package via apt-get install firmware-linux. If that doesn't work you could try to see if dmesg complains about something... 

I looked, there is no mention of wi-fi in dmesg.

In the last message, I sent the original dts from android, can you take a look at it?

Android DTS  

aml_wifi {
        compatible = "amlogic, aml-wifi";
        status = "okay";
        irq_trigger_type = "GPIO_IRQ_LOW";
        pwm_config = <0x50>;
        interrupt-gpios = <0x1b 0x37 0x0>;
        power_on-gpios = <0x1b 0x36 0x0>;
    };

wifi_pwm_conf {
        phandle = <0x50>;

pwm_channel1_conf {
            pwms = <0x51 0x0 0x774d 0x0>;
            duty-cycle = <0x3ba6>;
            times = <0x7>;
        };

pwm_channel2_conf {
            pwms = <0x51 0x2 0x7724 0x0>;
            duty-cycle = <0x3b92>;
            times = <0xa>;
        };
    };

Linux DTS

sdio-pwrseq {
		compatible = "mmc-pwrseq-simple";
		reset-gpios = <0x11 0x36 0x01>;
		clocks = <0x19>;
		clock-names = "ext_clock";
		phandle = <0x0b>;
	};

wifi32k {
		compatible = "pwm-clock";
		#clock-cells = <0x00>;
		clock-frequency = <0x8000>;
		pwms = <0x1a 0x00 0x7736 0x00>;
		phandle = <0x19>;
	};

16 hours ago, Devmfc said:
( vendev=( $( cat /sys/bus/mmc/devices/mmc2:*/{vendor,device} ) ) && echo "wifi SDIO ID: ${vendev[0]}:${vendev[1]}" )

wifi SDIO ID: 0x02d0:0x4330

dmesg

systemd[1]: Failed to start systemd-binfmt.service - Set Up Additional Binary Formats.

Edited by Energokom

26.08.2023 в 15:21, Devmfc сказал:

On my Github page I have a Debian and Ubuntu image containing a mainline compatible DTB for the S905W2. Everything works to create a headless Linux server. But there is no HDMI or sound yet unfortunately.

Hi,

Will there be a dtb version for s905w2 4/32? (Tanix w2 4/32). Version 2/16 works well. Thanks

Did anyone get the WifI running on the H96Max (s905W2)?

the emmc memory is also not visible, it does'nt matter, which dtb file is deployed

Edited by giga